Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Good luck, MM! I hear it's very pretty and that there's a good walking /running scene.If you have any spare time, spring should be lovely.

image  It's getting real now, James B. I remember we had a discussion on a previous Paris thread about being a firstimer and getting to the 17-ish miles stage.We all noticed a definite ' change' in our running...or our bodies.Something seemed to say' you are a long distance runner now' and it was, weirdly easier...* for a bit, of course* I think you're going to enjoy the next couple of lsr...in a slightly masochistic way, of course. It would be interesting to know if you experience the same sort of thing.

'Must write a ' thank you' to scotrail. The local station provided me with a map of trails accessible from local lines! ;with maps and details. It's an old' smugglers' route' from sea to inland town...fastest way to carry fresh fish, too...for me.This is exactly the sort of info I want..

• Hi Suzy - long time no see

Running Rodent wrote (see)
    And idly googling 'cake' and 'Paris'

Hehe

ATM wrote (see)

The local station provided me with a map of trails accessible from local lines! ;with maps and details. It's an old' smugglers' route' from sea to inland town...fastest way to carry fresh fish, too...for me.

Marathon training with fish?

• Feb 10: Exeter Half - Trevor O.
    Feb 17: Bramley 20 - Holeymoley, Tiddy. Brighton Half - Iain M. London 50km - Emmy. Nice 10m - Straycelt. Wrexham Half - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Feb 20: Blackpool Half - Orbutt.
    Feb 23: Standish Hall Trail Race - DLR.
    Feb 24: Malta Marathon - Emmy.
    Mar 3: Brugge-Oostende 10-mile - Emmy. Hogweed Hill Half - Straycelt. Paris Half - ATM. Silverstone Half - Jimbob. St David's Day 10k - Yer Maj. Surrey Spitfire 20 - Tiddy.
    Mar 10: Loch Katrine Half - Eggy.
    Mar 16: Eco Trail de Paris - Emmy, RR.
    Mar 17: Inverness Half - Kaz. Liverpool Half - Orbutt. Reading Half - Jimbob.
    Mar 18: St Anne's 10-miler - DLR.
    Mar 23: Coniston 14 - Iain M. Thames Path Ultra - DV.
    Mar 24: Brentwood Half - NGUG. Forest of Dean Half - Ward. Harewood House 10k - DLR. Hastings Half - Tiddy. Lexington Half - Straycelt.
    Mar 25: Warsaw Half - Wiol.
    Mar 30: Crete De Spa Half - Emmy. Dallas Half - Straycelt.
    Apr: London-Paris-London: DV.
    Apr 7: Paris Marathon - Irv, Derice, Sanka, Yul, Junior.
    Apr 14: Edinburgh Rock N Roll Half - Helterskelter.
    Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. Great Welsh Marathon - Malcs. London Marathon - Eggy, Straycelt.
    Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    May 4: Bewl Marathon - Emmy.
    May 5: Mont St Michel Marathon - Emmy, Princess Fi. Richmond Half - Tiddy. Richmond Marathon - Emmy.
    May 6: Milton Keynes Marathon - Emmy.
    May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM. Mallorca IM70.3 - Engineer.
    May 12: Great Ethiopian Run half - RR.
    May 26: Edinburgh Marathon - Tiddy. Mull of Kintyre Half - Helterskelter.
    May 27: London 10k - Jimbob.
    Jun 8: Luxembourg Marathon - Emmy.
    Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Jun 23: Shrewsbury Half - Yer Maj. Torbay Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
    Jul 8: Paris Tri - RR.
    Jul 14: Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra - DV.
    Jul 16-22: In The Long Run (Bratislava to Brussels) - TD.
    Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.
    Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
    Aug 3: The Devil O The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
    Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
    Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Sep 7: Medoc Marathon - DV.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, Tiddy..
    Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.
    Sep 22: Ladybower 35 - RR.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy.
    Oct 6: Cardiff Half - Yer Maj.
    Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
    Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy.
    Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 27: Wiol's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.

• ATM - I am quite happy where I am at this stage. Although I look at my weekly schedules and the long runs fill me with dread. I will be happy when I have done them and so I know I can cover the distance.

I am still unsure on what route to take for the long runs, in particular the 20 mile run. Whether I go out and do a 20 mile loop or two ten mile loops. The benefit of the latter is that I can get a drink from home half way round. The downside is thought of doing the same route twice.

I have been trying out the energy drinks drink and gels to see which ones suit. I am using the SIS product at the moment. I have their carb loading drink beforehand and then a gel at ten miles. I didn't need the gel at that point but you have to try these things.

The gel wasn't that bad. It is a isontic gel so you do not need to use it with water. In one of my first half marathons I used a Lucozade gel. I didn't try it beforehand. The consistency was awful and I nearly threw up.

I also got the jelly beans out, which was a nice little treat on the way round.

• Run the second loop in the other direction ! That's our plan for his weeks 20
  • James

Dan and me used the SIS isotonic blackcurrent flavour yesterday at half distance and didn't really feel tired, so will continue with those badboys on my LSRs - plan to use two gels on my 20 milers.

For the 20 I recommend an "out and back" type of run - like a big circle rather than laps or going through somewhere you already went - but each to their own.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

James - Just find a route that works for you. I'm not a fan of repeating loops, but then a lot of my runs are out and backs which some don't like. Although after my run with ATM yesterday I'm still tempted to try and do Glasgow to Balloch as one of my LSRs.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I like the out and back scenario too.  For some reason, about a mile after the turnaround it seems like Im almost home, no matter how far I actually am.  I don't like loops.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm an outy and back or a one loop girl.  Repeating loops drives me bonkers.

I'm very settled on the High 5 isotonic gels now - they don't seem to upset my stomach at all.  I'm even almost used to eating breakfast before my long runs as well image

• We've got 2 laps of Derwentwater planned for this weekends lsr. I devour SiS black current gels during IM's
  • I need to buy gels........another online shopping experience! I did use powerbar ones, but I like the idea of isotonic gels?? I will need to order a few of different varieties to try. Also a fan of jelly beans! Although I obviously need none of the above at the momentimage

I divide my run into 4 or 5 smaller loops normally all of which have 1 common point where my car is and a toilet!image And if I do decide on an out an back or one big loop it is normally pre-planned and runs past numerous peoples houses that I know just incase something goes wrong.(Can you tell I have had a bad experience!!)

• yeah .... Kaz,ATM (thinking of Loch Lomond yesterday-gorg), i suppose laps are better when you are surrounded by Beautiful scenery. I remember doing those Dartmoor laps and was happy to keep lapping as it was so god damn lovely, in London it's pretty grim doing laps - so i try to vary the "back" of my out-and-back - it's easily done in the Big Smoke.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Weedy - Cool Runnings image

I have a number of routes that are laps and for longer distances I join a few of them together. This means that I am more of a lap runner than an out and back.

Mind you, any kind of running would be nice at the moment. Without thinking, I ran up a flight of stairs on Saturday and I've got a bit of discomfort in my calf. image Hopefully it's just a slight twinge.

• I've found out that there is no American word for 'twinge' Orbutt. Maybe they just do it bigger and have rips or tears? Nothing as subtle as a twinge. I took my groin out for a little run at lunchtime. One of my work running club races. I went along to make up the numbers and brought my dog with me.

The plan was to just plod around, gently gently as my leg was feeling better. I managed a whole 146m before my groin started complaining so stopped immediately. "All dressed up with no pace to go"image

Have always found the High5 gels to be easy to use and digest.
  • Orbutt wrote (see)

Weedy - Cool Runnings image

This week's quiz points go to Orbutt. image

Although it was a bit easy this week seeing as it was on telly last night or the night before. Pure coincidence as I always come up with the next one as soon as I post the list. I'm going to have to raise my game for next week and make it even harder. Watch this space...

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

I'm no use at laps...Too tempted to head home. I prefer out-but-back-by-train or a circular loop. Dave, that's a fantastic suggestion..running the loop backwards.That would work for me, with my short attention...Oh, look! A robin on my bird feeder...

Eggy and Audrey, it's 22 to Loch Lomond. Fancy factoring it in? * I'll send you a link to the route map, A *

kaz, I used SIS Blackcurrent for lots of races and was fine until last year.Maybe I've swallowed my lifetime's worth of them but the last few outings resulted in disaster* details too ghastly to type...* I'm getting on better with shotblocks, although you need water with them..*

• Lol ATM

I ordered a box of black current SiS a few weeks back, and a well known cycle shop delivered orange I rang them up and they grovelled and promised to send black current and a postage label....3 weeks later I rang up and complained, week later box of black current but no address label, rang and moaned.... Got another box of black current and still no address label.... Gave up at that point, orange SiS gel anyone ?
  • I quite like the orange ones.

Blackcurrant sort of reminds me of some ghastly medicines from when I was young all those years ago.

I like the shotblocks and will have a packet or two for the race. Which comes on to my next question. Does any take a pouch or bum (i think it is is called a fanny bag in America) bag with them on the races or just strap them to your arm? 

I haven't had a problem in the half marathons as I could position them with the phone on my arm. But now I am all tooled up with a garmin this will not be possible.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

James I use a belt - this one in fact:

http://www.achillesheel.co.uk/running-accessories/s/hydration+belts+%26+packs/delaney+race+black+%26+yellow/camelbak-delaney-race-black-yellow/

I got it cheaper than that elsewhere though.  Miles better than the belt I had last year - gels go into bottles beforehand so no sticky fingers, water bottle holds plenty and there's even room for your lippy, if you're so inclined....

It's really comfortable to wear and doesn't move around

• My number belt has a set of loops that hold gels
  • just checking out number belts

• I tried shotbloks last year and you'd swear I'd eaten laxitives!!! Not nice.  I have just ordered SIS blackcurrant gels to try.....

• Think mine came from decathlon

(Smudge proof lippy)
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

James - For Chicago I found some shorts that had pockets that held gels and shotbloks just fine (Ronhill Trail Cargo shorts). I've ran with belts before, but I don't like running with them.

The shorts had nice little pockets in the back that if you cut a shotblok packet in half they sit nicely in for easy access.

ATM - I'd be up for trying for Balloch at some point before Paris.

• Bonjour mon amis.

A spectator questions for Paris veterans if I may. 2 of us running with 5 spectators. Any suggestions as to best place to go to spectate from? Or maybe even places to avoid?

I've tentatively suggested somewhere like the 5 mile mark as looks as though it's only a short walk to the 12 mile point?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Training is going fine other than constant tight calves.

Another SiS gel user - never had any issues with them and I'm a creature of habit and therefore have no knowledge of any of the alternatives.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Johnny - Radar Sal put together a supporters guide last year, which people said was excellent. She should be able to fowrard a copy to you.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds like you are struggling there Tricky. At least you had the good sense to stop immediately.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

As Eggy said, Radar Sal of this Parish has the definitive guide - but Bastille is certainly a good place as we hit it at 5k and 21k - plenty of time for a spectator coffee/spot of lunch in the gap!

• James. I'll be running Paris with two belts. One that holds my wallet, cash and up to 6x gels in bullet like compartments. The other belt is more of an MP3 carrier which will carry my phone, passport and traIn ticket (cause I'm a bit anal about that sort of thing)
  • In Paris I used safety pins to attache gels to my belt. They didn't hold up so I lost all my gels by the time I passed the Louvre. Luckily I wasn't the only one. Once I noticed I had no gels left I started to collect whatever I could find on the road. Risky, I know.

Yes, London is a bit boring when it comes to the long runs. I used to run along the canal in East London through Hackney, Lee Valley, towards the grand reservoir. Very scenic. Or I made it a challenge like how many bridges I can fit in. That needs a bit of the planning though.