london to brighton

Hi

I have entered this race I will be running (not walking )  I am looking for any tips if you have done this race , anything will do to make run smooth, or if you are doing it this year.

thanks

Bill

Comments

• get out there and recce it properly.  In it's first year the navigation was extraordinarily tough.  Break it down into sections and run them so you know what to expect.

• Which one have you entered? There is one in May and one in September.

Good luck whichever!

NID

• Hi

Sadly I live near Derby so I cannot get down to recce it , but I hope to be able to follow the trail, I am 68 so won't be going to fastimage  I am running the May event.

Bill

• Bill

I too have entered, by all accounts it's a well signed route (I don't know what that means!) and check points every 12km, so that seems reasonable.

I'll keep my eyes peeled on your tread to see if anyone can add more.

I'm a novice, running this distance for the first time, training going well so far, but a long way to go...
  • Hi Marcus

I agree its a long way but if I get my training done its doable, but snow and ice not helping, what time are you aiming for, I am hoping for 13/14hrs , Did Paris eco trail 80km last year but that's nearly none stop hills, quite surprising I thought it was quite flat round there. Time 11.30 

Bill

• My training has only reached a total 30-32mile weekend back to backs at present, snow and ice stop no manimage although I gave my new trail shoes a proper coating Saturday morning!!

I have no idea how to work out how long it will take me, I just want to finish as a runner, but any thoughts on how to calculate would make interesting reading.. Last weekend sat=15miles/2h05, sun=17miles/2h20....

Away this weekend in Brighton so hoping to get out for a 3hour recce....
  • I did this last year (May ActionAid), as my first distance event and walking it, came in 23 hours or so.  Navigation was not needed, didn't look at a map once as there were signpost and markers that lit up at night.... regular checkpoints too.  Loved it!

• Did marathon new years day and  had Holyhead endurance marathon cancelled due to snow, I am in the south London Ultra mid February, I am trying to average two marathons plus a month , and trying to get my mileage up to 35/55miles a week,  I was out on Saturday on the Tissington trail ( Nr Ashbourne) about 10inch of snow , hard going but great training.   That's good news about good signs, nothing worse than have to go back retracing your steps to get back on course.  ( the Eco trail was the same, never went wrong once.)   you seem to be able to run at 8.33min miles I am normally  9.9min mile to which I add 4min a mile to allow for stops etc, which I would say you should be in 11/ 12.30 hrs with luck, but it's all down to stamina, weather and ground conditions

Bill

• I ran this one last year too and can confirm it is well supported with check points and signage.

The ground was in very poor condition last year because of heavy rain, like a swamp in parts and very hilly (obviously). The winner, a woman, finished in 11.30 hours with just a few getting in under 13..avg runner was more like 15 hours.

Mistake most made was going off to fast especially along the Thames tow path where it is flat...45 miles later I ambled past many burnt out runners...so focus is needed at the start. I followed a walk/run plan from the start, something like 20 min run-5 min walk and benefitted from that in shovel loads. I took time at the check points to refuel properly, changed my socks and shoes half way.

•  That's great info, I'll take on board what you are saying, at Paris last year it was very hot and also took it very steady and like you passed loads of burnt out runnersimage

I'll have to keep my saying in my mind , You don't win a ultra in the first six miles , but in the last. 

Shoes and socks am I right in saying you can have bag forwarded to a check point, also did run road or trail shoes.   I thought there was a 15hr cut for runners..

• QBQB ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm also entered for this, attracted by the chance to have a stab at 100km, charity run, and that all I have heard suggests that it is well signposted. This distance is a big enough challenge for me without adding to it with any struggles to follow the route!

I've done quite a few marathons / ultras, but nothing long distance like this - most has been a flat 40m last November. As such I've no idea on the training required, but am reading around and trying to pick up advice.

I've always trained by quantity rather than quality of running - not ideal I realise but I'm a runner by nature of it being the sport that fits in now with busy work / family life so has to be. For the races so far I have trained by piling up the miles and say for the 40m I saw my core training as back to back pre-work morning runs of 20m each.

As such I've been really surprised by how light the weekly mileage is on the training plans I have seen so far, which don't look much more than what I did for the flat 40m last year and I didn't (by any stretch of my imagination!) finish that with plenty left in the tank!

Be interested in any thoughts or your plans. I'm signed up for this as a runner with goal of finishing and as comfortably as possible - not chasing a time beyond that. As such I read Dips' run / walk from start strategy with interest and William's response.

• Hi

My training is going to follow my training for last year Paris run I will do hill repeats once a week have one  evening doing core training,  and at least four runs with my kit bag on but loaded with about 2.5 kilo,  also I will make one of my runs off road and if I have to walk I power walk.  The long runs I will increase them , but I am not bothered about covering vast miles its more about being on my feet for longer stretches. I will also go out on a off road run 5/6hrs leaving so its going dark about the half way point so you are returning in the dark,  I do this as much as possible over ground I do not know,   this make sure you train yourself into looking for markers you have left, ( I use hazard tape, which I collect as I retrace my Steps).  One final point Think safety, take your survival kit and whistle phone and show someone your planned route and report in at given times, and you should arrive home with smile one your faceimage     

• QBQB ✭✭✭

Thanks Bill

Also doing a fair amount of my running with kit bag - only way for me as most of the runs are early morning to work types so have my clothes etc for the day. As I did this morning and got a good soaking in the rain for extra toughening up training!

I have realised reading around and here that I am going to need to also look to build off these 20+ mile runs, probably at weekends by then walking home after so that get up like you to 6 or so hours on feet. I've also entered the Llanelli 40m run to get some feel as to where my training has got me to by the end of this month!

• Hi,

I've also entered the London To Brighton 100k (May - Action Challenge) It's my first Ultra

I wanted to see if anyone had a view on footwear. I understand there's a mixture of roads and a lot of trail. Just bought some trail shoes but find them pretty hard on the roads. Would be good to get a view on trail v's road shoes for this particular ultra?

• hi

I am also unsure as to the required foot ware,   I would be grateful for anybodies feedback on this,  but my gut feeling is to go for road shoes, as a greater portion will be on reasonable ground, but with slippery sections which if you take them steady hopefully will not be to much a problem. (after all you can walk which will give you a break).

QB  Forty miles will give you a good taste, it's  over half way but just use it as a training run carry what you intend to carry when you do Lon/Bri  That's what I am doing on all my races  till London.

• I guess I'm lucky, I run mostly on trails (where possible) and find my Mizunos very comfortable, although wearing out, so a new pair will be ordered. I only know some of the route, and can guess none of it is extreme trails, mainly footpaths etc... A hits time of year and with the current weather and underfoot conditions Trail shoes make a massive difference (in a positive way), but if we have a dry few months through April & May I ink road shoes might be the right option nearer the time...
  • Thanks, good advice. I have been using the adidas adizero XT's and they feel pretty hard when it's not wet..

Will keep an eye on the weather ! Also may consider a hybrid road/trail shoe ?

• QBQB ✭✭✭

I agree - we'll have to see closer to the time. Hope that it's nothing like right now! Out on trails today and so muddy and waterlogged, I had to walk loads despite trail shoes

Which Mizunos are you using Marcus?

• QB

Trail shoes are wave ascend 6 (wearing thin) & 7 (hoping I've timed the change right so they are in reasonable condition perfect for May!)

Road shoes are (I think) inspire 8s

What about you?
  • speaking to one of the organisers team, they said you can forward a bag to the 50 km station and they thought that trail shoes  would be more of a advantage in the second half, but it still depends on the weather.

• QBQB ✭✭✭

Thanks Marcus

Interested as I got a first pair of trail last year and while impressed with them over Trionium's Picnic and Greensands and at Beachy Head, they are at cheaper end I think: Asics Tambora. Thinking that may not be suitable for a longer day such as this and having had a first pair of Mizuno last year and been impressed (Wave Enigma), trust that brand and impressed by your comments.

Interesting info too thanks William. Another shoe choice! Never changed shoes mid-race before...!

• QB When I ran the 80km last year there was a lot of discussion about roads or trail  shoes it all comes down to the weather, but as the person said the first 50km was out of London in general better tracks, I think I'll make my decision the day before but will take both options to London with me.and if the weather as been wet send on my trail shoes, I need to check if you can leave your bag at 50k for collection in Brighton. I don't know if I fancy carrying a pair of extra shoes all the way to Brighton.Or maybe take road shoe getting near finished, and bin them at 50k.

• Just had a lovely email from one of the organisers so have some greater insight into the menu they are providing (well requesting) also High5 is the brand of Gels/Bars I believe

I thought we could pick up & drop off at the 50k point? Can anyone confirm?
  • Hi guys, I am also running this, was tempted by the easy route and signage, ideal for first Ultra apparently. Will be looking on here for advise etc. Good luck

• I've now broken 2 of my training goals beforevthevend of Feb, feeling like I'm making progress. Broke the 27mile barrier last weekend & this weekend put in. 23/12 back2back, mileage rising. I've tried the nutrition (high 5), and am slightly concern it doesn't deliver the same Umph as SIS but if its free on the day, that's better than carrying the whole load!?

How's everyone training coming along, has anyone recce'd any of the proposed route?
  • Well done on the 27 miler, did 15 yesterday, my longest so far!  In hard training for Cambridge Half ,10 Mar, will increase mileage considerably after that. I also prefer the SIS gels and will most prob stick to them on the day, not sure about what type back-pack to use, whether lightweight rucksack type or waist style with bottle holders, any ideas? 

• Well my training is coming on to plan, I did the London ultra last week (31.5 miles) and this weekend did the heartbreaker marathon,with kit, I use a small Ironman rucksack, I like this as it has the water bladder  with side pouches just right to carry my gels which I can reach when running, If the weather is unpredictable I can also carry my waterproofs and essentials  IE phone plasters etc.  water/ hydration  I will only carry a max of 500 half ltr  max, as I do not like to become dry and will drink till empty, but will also drink at rest points and top up my bladder only when getting low.  Hand held bottles do unbalance you and can prove quite tiring on the arms after 20 miles, also it is nice to have your hands free.

• I'm going with a camelback (2L bladder)I have adapted the front straps to include an extra bottle holder (OMM) on one strap, and a camera case on the other (for stuff not a camera)but helps with extra capacity, has hip pockets for additional fuel/food stuff...

I did try a Columbia lightweight backpack, but its to tall for my frame.

I'd love to try some of the salamon s-lab ones. But the price target is steep...
  • I'm doing the Milton Keynes Marathon in May, will test out back pack etc then, I like the look of the Krupica one,  by Ultimate Direction, though I might be being puffed in by the marketing! I hate holding drinks bottles when running! Think it should be big enough as the L2B has many well-stocked checkpoints. WPM, sounds like youre steaming ahead with your training, good work.