Asics training starts now...!!

Comments

• I managed to drag my little sister out in the snow to play!!!!.....had to stop for a quick photo shoot!!!!....I think she may be regretting me starting running...she has no where to hide anymore!!!.....

/members/images/700233/Gallery/IMG_1776low.jpg

• Week 5 done!!!!

Monday – 4 mile comfortable (10:15 – 11:15)

Took 2 squawking teenage girls out for a run after school….why would I want to do that…..???....running is to give me peace……!!!....so they listened to music, chatted a lot and I ran backwards and forwards to keep a general eye on them….not the most inspiring run in the world, but it got the girls out….and my aim to stick to my pace was maintained!!!!......

Distance – 4.1 miles    Time – 41.26     Average pace – 10.12

Tuesday – Rest……Lovely little swim for an hour!!!.....

Wednesday – 4.5 miles Fast ( I mile comfortable ( 10:15 – 11:15 ) , 2.5 miles fast (8.45 – 9.00) , 1 mile comfortable)

Lovely unused track to be able to run up and down whilst using the interval setting on the Garmin…..very impressive setting!!!!......Unfortunatly a group of school children were bunking from school and I had to run past them about 4 times!!!....they must have thought I was a right plonker!!!.....

Really good session regardless of the bunking teenagers….worked really hard and enjoyed the different type of running!!.....

Distance - 4.5 miles       Time – 41.47

Lap 1 – distance 1 mile – Pace 10.16 Time – 10.16

Lap 2 – Distance 2.5 miles – Pace 8.31 Time - 21.18

Lap 3 – Distance 1 mile – Pace 10.12 Time – 10.12

Thursday – 3 mile recovery jog (11.15 – 12.15)

Stuck to the recovery jog pacing as I have been a bit fast in the past!!!....Just enjoyed a mooch though the woods watching the word go by!!!

Distance – 3.1 miles       Time – 34.27        Average pace – 11.07

/members/images/700233/Gallery/IMG_1767loww.jpg

Friday – 4 mile build up (9.40 – 9.10) plus warm up and cool down. ( 5 miles total)

Had to miss this session as the snow was AWFUL……swapping it for tomorrow…!!

Saturday – Rest

Friday’s session……

A lovely fresh run along the sea front….I was full of energy and raring to go….felt like I hadn’t run for days….which really I hadn’t……Was surprised when I looked at my Garmin and saw I was running at a faster pace, but it was so easy and it just felt good!!!!..... 

Distance – 5 miles   Time – 44.34   Average pace – 8.55

• great week done 

you were much faster than me on that long run...........my excuse is that i'm working to heart rate and not racing till july image

• Sunday -  Run for 2 and a half hours comfortable pace (10.15 – 11.15)

Off we go onto the South Downs…..an Arunners running club run so other slightly insane members of the team met first thing this morning….it was freezing and snowing lots!!!!

/members/images/700233/Gallery/IMG_1773-2low_1.jpg

Kept it slow up and down hills…. stunningly beautiful views, amazing to be out in the fresh air just having a great time…totally exhilarating….!!!!!!!.....wow….have come back feeling AMAZING!!!! The run its self wasn’t quite long enough…..so I got dropped off half way home so I could get the remaining 30 minutes of running in!!.....Oh I just loved it!!!!!!!........

/members/images/700233/Gallery/IMG_1784-2low_0.jpg

Distance -  13.7      Time – 2.28       Average pace – 10.47 

• Hey Seren.....But did you enjoy it????......pretty sure you did!!!!.....image I do find running with others on the long runs really helps!!!!.....image......( what you doing in JUly??) 

• Doing the outlaw.its an ironman distance triathlon...but i was to smash my PB so am training hard.......but training to heart rate for the first time which is a bit strangeimage

was going to do a spring marathon as well but decided it not to now so am following you insteadimage

and yes i'm loving the running in snowimage

• Hi Ruth.....Kept an eye on fluids pre run today.....

Had a cup of tea and a glass of water before my run....didnt feel I needed any extra fluids pre run and took plenty with me.....maybe I took the fluids too close to running though as I was still trying to find a tree !!!....

Diet today:

Cup of tea

Porridge with coconut milk and blueberries

2x gels throughout the run

handful dried mango

2 x scrambled eggs 1x wholemeal toast for lunch, wheat berry salad

small bag peanut M&M's

Apple, orange

Chicken, lentils, tomato, beetroot, sweet potato, corgettes, green beans

Plenty of water thoughout the day

Found the gels ok.....tolerated them alright...although they dont taste great!!!

• Great pics from today Mel. It snowed all day here! Can't quite believe we're already in to week 6!

Keep up the good running!
  • Great pictures - really disappointed that I'm still not running as the snow is great fun once you're out in 'the hills'.  I'm planning to try a very gentle run tomorrow if my knee is ok today - fingers crossed for me please!

• melaniejayne wrote (see)

Hi Ruth.....thank you for that input.....maybe thats why Im normally trying to find a tree mid run....!!...I will have a play around on Sunday as I have a longer run.....yes I probably could eat something between breakfast and and race....but not sure about a RIPE banana!!!

Pre race wee nerves is worrying me!!!!!!.....( sorry boys!!!) 

Food for yesterday:

2 x weetabix semi skimmed milk and blueberries

Salt and vinegar snack jacks

Pate and walnut bread, salad leaves

Apple and pear

poached Salmon, Noodles, pac choi, baby corn, mushrooms

2xtea, 1x coffee, 1 x latte, loads of water, 1x glass red wine

And I put the cream egg down.....!!!.....image

40 minutes running

Try and not skip lunch when you can!

melaniejayne wrote (see)

Hi Ruth.....Kept an eye on fluids pre run today.....

Had a cup of tea and a glass of water before my run....didnt feel I needed any extra fluids pre run and took plenty with me.....maybe I took the fluids too close to running though as I was still trying to find a tree !!!....

Diet today:

Cup of tea

Porridge with coconut milk and blueberries

2x gels throughout the run

handful dried mango

2 x scrambled eggs 1x wholemeal toast for lunch, wheat berry salad

small bag peanut M&M's

Apple, orange

Chicken, lentils, tomato, beetroot, sweet potato, corgettes, green beans

Plenty of water thoughout the day

Found the gels ok.....tolerated them alright...although they dont taste great!!!

• Did you pee before you went running/left the house?
    • How long before did you drink before start of run?
    • When did you leave the house and when did you start your run (as assumed as you/sister drove home you needed to drive to start)?

You do not need to love the gels but you do need to tolerate them! What do you think your plan is for Paris with gels for example are  you going to have one every 30-35minutes? As we need to practice on long runs so we know you can tolerate them as often as you may need them.

The second food diary above is good! Although because less hot drinks than usual with milk, calcium is a little low but one day is only a snap shot of diet and other days have been okay and it is the bigger picture I am looking at.

As always loving the pictures!

• Great pics of your long run Mel. And a really good week's training. It's been a nice easy start to the week so far, but Thursday's session should be a bit more challenging and then we've got training day. Really looking forward to it. We may need to 'work round' the weather, but hey, that's spring marathon training for ya!image 

• Morning Mel!

Love your pictures! image I'm having fun running in the snow but seem to be running on my own all of the time so looking enviously at your lovely group runs! image

Can't quite believe we're into Week 6 now ...!!! Eek!

• Hi Mel - just popped in to see how you are doing and so pleased to see the progress you are making and how much you are enjoying it all.  Training day will be great for you - do give my regards to Sam please.  Keep smiling.

• Mel, really looking forward to meeting you Saturday!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Great Pics Mel.image

Looks like you are making great progress with time on feet. Glad you are enjoying the journey so much!

• Evening Mel!

Hope training is going well and I look forward to seeing you tomorrow and having a good catch up!! Who knows ... maybe we won't be in matching kit again tomorrow!!image

• Oh its been such a busy week and Ive just not had 5 mins to get on here to say hello!!!!.....

Ha RRR.....yes exactly the same kit again!!!! How funny....I hope when the photos come out people don't think we planned it!!!!.....image....we just have exceptionally good taste!!!

Hey Impish...how the knee....its been a week since I last made contact.....is time a great healer????image

Seren....wow....that sounds amazing....that's serious training!!!!...puts my little jogs to shame.....( not really...) Whats your PB...? and how much are you trying to smash it by!!???

Oscarr....the training is amazing...I cant believe how fantastic it is.....how my life has changed in 6 months...its unrecognisable!!!!.....Im just buzzing from it all..!!

DS2.....Yes every minute on my feet has just been fab!!!...I cant put into words how lucky I feel to have been given this amazing opportunity!!!....every day I am thankful......even when getting up at 0330 for boot camp yesterday!!!

• Week 6

What an amazing week!!!! 

Monday - 3 mile recovery jog (10.50 – 11.40)

Quick 3 miles after work!!!....It got very dark very quickly so ended up running though a track in the woods in the dark!!....Next time I don’t stop to talk to work colleagues inn the car park….could they not see I was cold and trying to do something!!!.....Stuck to my pace though as previously I have gone to fast on recovery jogs and have been told off for it!!!!....image ……

Actual - 3.1 miles - 33.54 mins - pace average - 10.56

Tuesday - 4 mile steady (9.15 – 9.45)

Managed to incorporate this into a running club run which was lovely!!....Went a little big longer than I should…but shhh…its only a mile!!!....

Actual - 5 miles - 47.13 - pace average 9.27

Wednesday - rest

Actual- 1 hour hilly walk

Thursday - 1 mile comfortable 6x2mins @ 7.20 - 7.35 2.5 min recovery in-between 1 mile comfortable

Actual - 1 mile - time 10.21 - pace 10.21

lap 1 - 2 mins@ 7.09

recovery  2. 30 mins@11.22

lap 2 - 2 mins @ 7.24

recovery 2.30 mins @ 11.22

lap 3 - 2 mins @ 7.24

lap 4 - 2 mins @ 7.09

lap 5 - 2 mins @ 7.24

recovery 2.30mins  @11.22

lap 6 - 2 mins @ 7.24

recovery 2.30 mins @ 11.54

0.8 miles recovery,  time 8.37 average pace 8.37

Oh really enjoyed this…..not too good on speed sessions but worked really hard on this one and even smashed my pace twice….I am a bit of a plodder, speed is not my thing!!!….But yehhh…..did it!!

Friday - Rest

• Saturday - training day

0.8mile winders….. We lost the track due to snow so the lovely Sam and Steve found a route round the university for us to play on!!!

/members/images/700233/Gallery/IMG_1823low.jpg

.....started at one pace and slowly increased the pace by 10 seconds each time for 5 loops!!....Great fun, and amazing to be with every one for the day!!!.....It was such a special day, and I am so lucky that I have been given this fantastic opportunity!!...I look at how my life was only 6 months ago and it is unrecognizable in such a short space of time!!!

Sunday - 14 miles aprox 10.50 pace - speeding up to aprox 10.20

Having got up at 03.30 yesterday for Boot camp in Birmingham, and not getting home till 21.30….when my alarm went off this morning at 0700….I could have happily turned the alarm off and had another few hours snooze!!...however I purposely arranged too meet a friend to share part of my long run to avoid that situation!!....Wore my lovely new Asics t shirt that was given to us yesterday for our training…pink for girls and of course blue for the boys!!!!....

/members/images/700233/Gallery/IMG_1814low.jpg

Lovely mooch with Nuala….( thank you, and thank goodness for your Comrades training!!) We were a little fast on our pacing, and I put that down to having a good old chinwag and not concentrating too much on the Garmin. However, made the first half slower than the second half as per the plan, and it was all pavement and a flat solid terrain… I had a lovely time!!!!...was my longest run yet and it felt fab!!!!....

/members/images/700233/Gallery/IMG_1810low.jpg

Actual 14.5  miles 2.27 - average pace 10.08

splits - 10.17,10,17,10.19, 10.44, 10.26, 10.38, 10.12, 10.04, 10.01, 9.54, 9.49, 9.53, 9.52, 9.43

Another week done....another week closer!!!!...Here we go week 7.....Ill be pleased for a rest day tomorrow though....!!! image

• Hey Ruth.....Lovely to meet you yesterday.....you really aren't as scary as your photo!!!!.....And I'm loving that you have given me the go ahead for cream eggs!!!...you never said how many per day!!!.....image

Today - 

Porridge with coconut milk, banana and honey

1 cup of tea

homemade seed bar thing and chocolate milk - post run

chocolate biscuit - post run

wholemeal toast and sardines

salted popcorn

Jacket potato, beans, cheese, 1 small vegetable samosa

1 glass red wine

electrolyte drink x2 post run 

2 x coffee throughout the day

lots of water

14.5 mile run

only had 1x tea this morning at 0730ish, then sips of water. Left for my run at 0840, quick wee before i left....and no wee stop through the run!!!!......sipped water throughout the run with a camel back......!! result!!....funny that concept....fluids in...fluids out!!!.....

Hope you got home ok last night and it wasn't too late!!!!

• Week 7.......

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 6 mile comfortable ( 9.45 - 10.45)

Wednesday - 5 mile build up ( 9.40 - 9)

Thursday - rest

Friday - 5 miles steady ( 9.15 - 9.45 )

Saturday - 3 mile jog ( 10.50 - 11.40)

Sunday - Chichester 10k....If any one is doing it...then yehhh.....come and say hello....would be lovely to catch up...I will be wearing my lovely new T shirt and smiling a lot so you cant miss me!!!!!.....image

• oh Ruth....I had 3 gels too during the run!!!....blahhhhh...... but I did as you said and took them every 30 - 40 mins.....first one after aprox an hour.....! And they were OK....if you like medicine!!!..... that will serve me right for making my patients take yuck medicine and telling them not to make a fuss!!!!!....image

• Loving these stories and as you are just a bit faster than me I like yours the best. imageGood luck with Paris, something I hope to do next year.

• Hi Mel, Congrats on your running so far. It has been lovely to read your journey towards Paris. I too am training for Paris for my 1st marathon and as this week I will be breaking new grounds doing my 15 miles LSR, I was wondering what gels you have tried to help you through?  

• melaniejayne wrote (see)

Hey Ruth.....Lovely to meet you yesterday.....you really aren't as scary as your photo!!!!.....And I'm loving that you have given me the go ahead for cream eggs!!!...you never said how many per day!!!.....image

Today - 

Porridge with coconut milk, banana and honey

1 cup of tea

homemade seed bar thing and chocolate milk - post run

chocolate biscuit - post run

wholemeal toast and sardines

salted popcorn

Jacket potato, beans, cheese, 1 small vegetable samosa

1 glass red wine

electrolyte drink x2 post run 

2 x coffee throughout the day

lots of water

14.5 mile run

only had 1x tea this morning at 0730ish, then sips of water. Left for my run at 0840, quick wee before i left....and no wee stop through the run!!!!......sipped water throughout the run with a camel back......!! result!!....funny that concept....fluids in...fluids out!!!.....

Hope you got home ok last night and it wasn't too late!!!!

Hi Mel

Don't like this photo much myselfimage 

Great to meet you on Saturday, I think you should have your forum name as smileimage!

Remember with the gels you just need to stomach them! I would like you to practice with these a few more times and starting at 30-35minutes.

Great that you are working your way though the fluid issue. Perhaps  at the half marathon in Feb only have a cup of tea  then sip on 200ml of fluid between breakfast and race start (less before a training run - like you did on Sunday!) then drink little and often during race. As discussed the half in Feb is the dress rehearsal for Paris so  practice pre-race breakfast which is likely to be: porridge (but if using coconut milk will need to bring to Paris - UHT or practice with regular milk?) with some honey and a banana 2-3 hours before. Sip on water. I still think if you wish a snack between breakfast and race start you can if practice with this but only is wish.

When running the half I think you should carry all the gels you will need for Paris so you know how these will go in a race  belt or bum bag and how they feel to run with etc

I will write up the pre -race eating plan in the next week as discussed on Saturday. This plan is what you should be eating in the days leading up to Paris so you can see how this might look and what you might like to change  in this plan.

Ruth

• Hey Mel........very nice seeing you last Saturday. Thanks for the liquorice allsorts and your company on the train there and back.image

I'm mightily impressed that you managed to get up at 7am on Sunday for your long run. Pictures made it look lovely. If you got any Comrades tips from your friend, please let me know!

Good luck with Chichester 10k this weekend.

• Hi Sarah Conway 6

I have just written up some info on Steve's thread on gels so will cut and paste this.

Finding the right gel can be trial and error for some. 

For first timers to a marathon or using gels you need to consider what type of gel you are going to use. For example, one with water already in it and hence don’t need to drink with it, these gels are described as something between a drink and a gel but they will also be heavier to carry (as have more water in them) or do you choose a gel without water added so they have a thicker consistency but is lighter to carry but more concentrated in month & you need to drink 150ml or more of water with it.

Most, if not every brand of gel, does a caffeine gel and the same gel but without the caffeine. However the decision if using caffeine is how much you need and wish to use to have a good effect. These gels range usually between 30-50mg of caffeine but some used more heavily in cycling have 100mg per gel (CNP cola gels, these may be useful for those that what a bigger boost but you may only use say 1-2 of these in the race and use other non-caffeine gels for the rest of the race). Here are a few examples :

Powerbar (powerbar.co.uk): Have 3 main gels. Powergel and powergel fruit (some real fruit juice added) with 26/27grams of carb per gel but need to drink with this, no caffeine in these. If you want one with lighter consistency then powergel hydro also 26g of carbs but no water needed.

Or as an alternative to a  gel, powerbar do the powerbar shots (sweets with 5 g of carb per sweet and these have caffeine in them). These sweet suits those that like to drip feed their fuel in the race (so rather than consuming a gel 2 per hour you are taking a sweet every 10minutes or so. A portion these have 75mg of caffeine.

•  Or there is science in sport (www.scienceinpost.com) which have the GO gels with 22g of carb per gel, no water need with these and can buy with or without caffeine (50mg  caffeine per gel).
    •  Highfive (highfive.co.uk): choice of isogel (23g of carbs with or without 30mg of caffeine) or energy gels with or without caffeine (also 30mg of caffeine) and same carb 23g but the energy gels you need to drink with as thickener consistency.

There are lots of other gels but I have just picked out three brands to make it easier: thicker consistancy or lighter? caffene or no caffeine? Most other brands have same principle. You should also make sure you check how many carbs you will be consuming per hour (most people will need 2 gels per hour, a few may need 3 but should not need more than this per hour). Aim for 30-60grams of carbs per hour, I think if first timer nearer 50g would be safer.

Hope this is helpful

Ruth

• Mel, you are going such great guns! It's great to see - I'm very impressed image And I can see your confidence growing too. Keep up the fab work.

It's a relatively easy week this week - no very fast stuff - but don't neglect the accel strides on your Saturday run.

We've tentatively set a sub 53 goal for the Chichester 10km, assuming it's flat and weather OK. Does anyone know about the course? I'm sure Mel would find any insights useful.

• Hi there....I'm doing Chi 10k. It is a great route and pretty flat apart from a few umpy bumpy bits at about mile 2 then a short, sharp hill at about mile 4.5 which is not too bad as then followed by a lovely sweepy down hill bit.

This is a great blog Mel and I have stumbled across it whilst at work....and am now no longer doing any work !!  Well done and keep it up. image

• As usual, the photos are fab - I'd love to be able to run by the sea....

However, at the moment, running at all would be good.  My knee didn't get better so I went to a physio on Friday and have been diagnosed with a very tight ITB.  So, I had some ultrasound and 'massage' (she called it stripping) on the band and have been icing, stretching and rolling since - well, the first 2 straight away, the rolling I had to hold off until yesterday as the ITB was still sore from the massage image

I'm going again this evening and hopefully will see improvement soon - I could be running again in 10 days if I'm good and keep up with the exercises.

On Sunday it was my club's winter leagu race, so I marshalled / helped out setting up and taking down - it was great to be out (lovely blue sky where I am) and great to see my running mates - even if I was on the sidelines.

It sounds as if your training is going great guns - hope your 10k goes to plan.

Impish