Has anyone else tried Chi Running?

I'm running the London Marathon again this year and have typically been a 'drag myself round by the skin of my teeth' type of runner. But I've just finished my first session with Gray Caws at the Chi Running Club, and I get the feeling that this is going to change everything!

I honestly can't believe how much of a difference a few tweaks to posture and alignment can make. It also doesn't hurt that the group size is quite small so you get lots of one-to-one feedback. 

I'll certainly be going back next week, but thought I'd sing his praises on here as there are probably others out there who could benefit from improved running technique. Apparently running long distances doesn't HAVE to be painful!  image

You can find details for the long Sunday runs and workshops on the RW events listings, or for the Monday and Wednesday evening sessions on the site below.

http://www.n8pt.com/?ID=50

Comments

• Yes I tried it, I can't run a full race in that way (it takes effort and concentration) so when I reach the point of stopping with tiredness etc, I switch from my normal style and it gives me a breather, if I run this way for maybe 10 minutes I find I can relax and then go back to normal. Maybe I don't do it enough to get the full benefit

• @EKGO Interesting that you find it easier to do it once you are tired. I thought it might have been the other way around... able to do it until you get tired and get sloppy. (Or that is what I figured would happen to me!)

I think it is going to take me slightly more than one evening to master it. What do the say about practice, practice, practice?

• I have tried it for a full run, it isn't really any harder, it just requires concentration and so it's not as relaxing, when tired it gives the lower legs a good breather before I resume my normal style, it's got to be worth the effort to learn more 

• I have just bought a book about Zen running. When I Googled Zen running to get an overview of what Zen was about Chi running came up; so I assume they are related? I bought the book because I am very aware that I can run faster than I do and feel that it is my mind holding me back. Am I barking.... up the wrong tree that is image Have not read enough to know what the book is trying to say yet!

• Hi Guys and thanks Cat for the great comments. It will be good to get everyone's comments. I think the thing to say at this point is that it takes effort to eventually run effortlessly. Treat your running as a practice such as T'ai Chi or yoga and develop your skill and mindfullnes – it will pay off. Gradual precoess is the key. Don't 'push' or try things that your body is not fully conditioned for. You should never feel pain. If you do – stop. It's your body telling you there is a problem. The Chi Running technique is basic common sense and most people find it very easy to learn and adapt to. There is nothing strange or mystical about it. Feel free anyone to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer or pioint you in the direction of more information. Cheers – Gray Caws (certified Chi Running and Chi Walking instructor and REPs registered personal trainer)

• Hi Guys

I am organising a conference for physios and osteopaths and general interest on running. I see a lot of injuries and as a runner myself gathered and changed techniques. I am looking for a chai runner to come and talk (it will be well re numerated) for about 60 minutes. There will be a barefoot lecture (already booked), a physiology lecture (i.e what running does to the body) and a clinical lecture (what we see and how to deal with amateur runners in practice). Gray, can you help or suggest someone who can?