Talkback: Your Say: Insults on the run

"You're just a fat Mo Farrah, fat Mo Farrrahhhhhh" sung at me by a group of drunks in the park just after the Olympics. On the second lap they seems to take pity on me and offered me a can of special brew, so perhaps they were trying to be nice!

Comments

• "You're just a fat Mo Farrah, fat Mo Farrrahhhhhh" sung at me by a group of drunks in the park just after the Olympics. On the second lap they seems to take pity on me and offered me a can of special brew, so perhaps they were trying to be nice!
  • I was showered in water from a water blaster fired from a car window as it drove passed me - there were two young girls in the car and they obviously found it hilarious to douse a not-so-young lady runner. At least it was a sunny day so I was cooled - although the initial shock took a while to recover from
  • Two memorable ones:

A little old lady making about 1mph with a stick looking at me puffing down the town path and saying kindly 'Don't overdo it.'

An overweight couple again going at a steady snails pace, seeing me in about mile 9 of a half marathon, calling out 'Is it worth it?"

• Sprinting to the top of the hill a women said to me, " Well that's buggered you hasn't it?"

Although a little tired, I'm certain the hill hadn't had anal sex with me.
  • Not an insult and as I can run I walk with Nordic Poles and I have had from someone walking towards me- 'The Snow get deeper about 100mtr further one' it was about 28 in the shade!

Oh how it made I laugh. 

• As I was coming up on two speed watchers (who were apparently bored) They turned the radar gun and "clocked" my run all the while applauding and cheering. Kinda cool!
  • I'm lucky because I mainly run on a A road following cycle path so only ever really passed by other runners or cyclists, but I do get a lot of tooting & light flashing, especially in the summer. 
  • My friend and I were running the other day, in a residential area. It was really cold and snowy, so a couple standing in their garage applauded and kept yelling "good for you!". It was a great feeling...

On the other hand, that same friend experienced two guys driving past her yelling "heffer!"... now, that is not very nice.

I don't know what I would do if someone actually insulted me while I was out trying to be active, healthy, and fit. 

• Only one I had was at the end of a hard run with a bit of a sprint finish I was puffing away catching my breath and as a car drove by one youngish lad shouted out the window " you need to ease off the pies mate". A bit obvious but it made me smile all the same.

• 'The others finished a day ago love' whilst out running the day after the London Marathon.
  • Not an insult, but I ran several km of a 10k race behind a woman called Eileen, who had her name on her shirt. Every so often someone would should come on to her, then the people around would burst into song.

I was quite sorry when she slowed down and I overtook her.

• Passed a nasely, junky looking, lay about type whilst running around the park. After screeching at her offspring to hurry up as i ran past, she made out with the remark, "Lets jog like the man in they .......lycra troosers". Without hesitation or drop in pace, i turned the head a rebutted "Looks like you could be doing with pulling the Lycra on, ya fat bint". Her reaction was priceless. "eh......seeee youuuu!!!!!!". I Lol'd.

• Spark - Gosh, you sure told her. How clever you are.
  • I was on a training run at the local sports centre when a group of three or four gorgeous young ladies were watching from the side as I ran past. One gave me a smile and said a flirtacious 'hiya', I was on cloud nine for one second until I heard her friend say 'You can't Charlie, he looks just like your Dad!!!' image

• Spark - sounds like you were in Dundee. Great city.

I often get 'nice shorts' - which is a nice comment from a shapely gal, but slightly worrisome from a hairy-arsed bloke.

• I had to run through a group of lads and was expecting insults when all they shouted was "118 118 I've got ur number" was giggling away to myself.
  • There has to be a link to the No Toes story.

• My favourite from when I did the Portland Marathon: 'it's not sweat! It's just your awesomeness coming out!' image  Kept me smiling for miles.

Another one that made me smile was when I was out running in some pretty horrible rain, and a bus driver who passed me almost each day, stopped to tell me he admired my dedication... Which kinda put a halt to any thoughts of asking for a lift LOL.

I've been pretty lucky really. 

• Years ago, I had a Harringey Council bin lorry and team cheer me on my long run. Following my planned route I found I'd run away them then we'd meet again about 15 mins later. I think after an hour they were quite impressed.

I had the obvious "Run, Forrest, Run" while passing a bored group of teens in a tiny village in the Highlands. 

I found the 'wobbling arse cheeks' yelled from a car in London the harshest. They were merely undulating in time with my steps.

• Running along the towpath last year, I run passed a group of park-bench drinkers.  I got a shout that really summarises the mentality... 'Go Lance Go'.   Clearly I had no counter-reply, but his companions set about correcting his sporting knowledge as I ran out of ear-shot!  I think I didnt stop smiling the whole way home.

• Until earlier this week it was nothing more than the usual 'get those knees up' nuggets of orginality from local pre-teens.  I was running up the main street on Wednesday night and a charming young man hanging out of the window of a people carrier called me a 'stupid slut' image 

I can usually let the piss taking comments roll off me but I thought that was just nasty and uncalled for. 

• My boss was running in the park when a small child turned to his mum and said "mummy, why is that man running so slowly?!" Boss was not pleased, but did gone into work and tell us about it!

I mostly get positive comments. or ones like knees up/keep going etc.
  • Bounding along feeling particularly gazelle-like during what was (and still remains) my fastest ever 10k race, I heard one of the water station ladies say to her friend 'oh dear, do you think she's all right?' image .
  • Running rodent - the lead lady in the last 10k I did looked like she was dying! But she did put in a good time!
  • Not quite a yelled insult but i had a guy throw a lit cigarette butt out of his car window at me a few months back, luckily I was on quite a long run and had a large bottle of water in my right hand, Gave his car a nice dent in the door panel, rather immmature but cheered me up no end!
  • Never had any real insults whilst on the run apart from the usual mouthy chavs, but I very often get abuse on the bike. My all time favourite was "get of the roads you twat hat" whilst attempting to mate his wing mirror with my brake lever. Its amazing the damage a well used cleat can do to a rear wing ...... 

• Just this lunchtime I ran past a complete stranger who called me a 'chav '!

Is it possible to be a chav if you're in your mid 30s, married and an accountant?

• Did you have your Burberry leggings on?

• I haven't had bad comments, but when I was starting to struggle on a run when it was snowing and I was contemplating givin up and going home, I got a big beep and wolf whistle from lorry driver. It cheered me up and motivated me to finish the next few miles!

I am quite shocked by some of the comments made though image