RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carl - snap... my two little girls also have the sniffles & coughs so no doubt I have also picked it up from them. Just in and my ears are still singing even though mostly covered with my hat.

Carter - great tempo pace - you have every reason to be pleased! - well done.

Had a 6 mile tempo scheduled in but was feeling pretty lousy tbh so took a cautious 1st mile @ 8.30... stepped it up to pretty much 8.00 dead for miles 2,3&4 but felt sluggish and expected to be 7.45 pace for that effort over those middle miles... pushed on to my more normal tempo pace for the final miles 5 & 6 @ 7.45 pace .

So 48 dead/8.00 mml pace for the run - the effort felt the same as my normal tempo run on the same route but was a min slower!?. That said my HR avg was down 4 or 5 bpm (158bpm compared to usually 162/163bpm). I guess this explains the slower time and the "manflu" explains the sluggishness/similar perceived effort.... and maybe sundays efforts have taken their toll also.

May drop my hill session tomorrow for an easy run depending how I feel.... kinda hoping I have "sweated it out of me" after that run tonite!

• Here's a question, whilst on the subject of colds, does anyone take a vitamin supplement during the additional workload of marathon training? .. or do you just rely on a healthy diet?

I remember taking them before all those years ago when I last trained for marathon distance  -  but haven't been taking any this time round & I am on my 2nd cold since I started Mara training after Xmas!

• Minni - ?

re: colds - I always think run if it's just a runny nose or a light cough but if it's a chesty cough or you have a temperature then don't.

carter - great session there. It's difficult to run a mile @ MP at the end. You always go off to quick. But that's one of the reasons for doing it. To train your body into running at that pace however good or bad you feel.

ricky - hopefully just the manflu. I eat loads of fruit and veg and take a multivitamin and yacult everyday. The first sign of a cold and I start taking vitamin C 1000mg as well. No idea if it helps or if I'm throwing money away.....

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - great tempo run tonight. Funny how we are all feeling a little sluggish this week.

Ricky - good session considering the manflu.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I got very annoyed with my sportswatch tonight.

I always plug it into the computer before I set out to make sure it picks up the GPS. Thieans that it connects very quickly when I go out the front door.

Well tonight it went into meltdown and decided that it was the first time I had conected the watch to the computer and wanted me to reload the software. 15 mintues later with me fit to kill something I eventually got it to register on my computer.

Out the front door. Press the button to connect with the GPS and NOTHING. After a few minutes I decided to start without it and was trying to work out how I would know my time for the tempo session when it magically connected. I had covered about 1/3 mile by now. For the next half mile or so I was convinced that it was not recording my pace correct as it was telling me that I was slower than it felt.

When I came back in I had simlar problems trying to upload my run.

So I have decided that my Nike+ sportswatch is unreliable and it has to go.

I am now investing in a Garmin.

RANT image over

• Spoons - think I'll visit the health shop tomorrow to purchase some multivitamins.

Carl - I have the old faithful Garmin Forerunner 305 .... a lttle bulky but it has never let me down, messed about or failed to cooperate - not once. I just set it outside about 2 mins before I leave and it has found the satellite and is ready go by the time I'm heading off. Nice big screen on it too which is easy to read on the run and can display 4 pieces of data of your choice at one time... u can additionally scroll through 3 screens on the move also from memory so can potentially then access 12 pieces of data (I think - I just tend to leave on the 1st screen where I have total time, HR, current pace in m/mls & current time for latest mile displayed.)

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I have been putting off investing in a Garmin for a few eeeks but as this is not the first time I have ahd problems in recent months and the training is getting a little serious I need to take the plunge.

Thanks for the info on your trusty garmin. I will have a look at what deals are out there before the sales end. image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Anyway my run tonight.

It was windy. No not just windy, VERY windy. It was blowing hard and when I went over the top of Primrose Hill before descending down to Regents Park I was struggling to stay upright.

Running around Regents Park was tough. For the first mile or so into my speed part of the session, I was running straight into the wind and driving rain. Then it was a swirling blustery wind. Then it died down. And the last half a mile or so was straight back into it again.

It made breathing tough and at times I thought I was not moving.

But somehow I pulled a performance out of the bag.

I ran the first 1.75 miles at 9:24mm pace.

The next 3.7 miles in 27 minutes, 7:17 mm pace

And closed out with 2.15miles at 9:08mm pace,

This was harder than I thought it would be put really pleased that despite not feeling great before I set out that I got a decent speed session in. Next week I am going to try and get 1m at the end at MP just to start getting a feel for what it is like.

• Good running boys. Running at pace in that wind was really hard going but some decent times recorded.

Spoons - for my midweek medium run (8-12 miles) is it ok to split these over 2 runs eg 5 at lunch time 5 after work ? I'm finding it difficult to fit thie full length of run in at the moment so wondered if it would work by splitting it into two runs ?
  • I also have a 305. Had it for a few years now and never had any complaints.

Good work Carl

Carter - with splitting runs, it's better than not doing it and not as good as doing it in one go. So 6 + 6 is better than just 6 and not as good as 12. Make sense?

Maybe do the MLR every other week?

You can also add miles to the warmup of another run to get a MLR in. e.g. if you are doing 4 miles of intervals with 1 mile warmup and 1 mile cooldown, you could do a 4 mile warmup, 4 miles of intervals and a 2 mile cooldown to make a 10 mile MLR.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Carter - I'm having the same problem with my mid week MLR.  I'm doing a 3 week cycle: 

week 1: 12m at 4:45am
    week 2: 12m at 5pm
    week 3: 6m am/6m pm

Its not easy fitting it all in but its only for a short time in the big scheme of things. 

• Minni/Spoons - Thanks for the coments. Like most people, there is family life to work around so to make sure I can spend enough time with the missus my MLR needs to be first thing on Wednesday morning, so it also ties in with my other running sessions. If I'm honest I just dont like getting up early in the week to go for a run, I dont mind doing my LSR on Saturdays early in the morning but not during the week. On a normal working day I am up at 5:00, travelling for 1:30 to get to work so doing a run before that doesnt really appeal. Other people do it so I think I will just have to get my arse into gear and get on with it !

• 6 miles at lunchtime @ 8:52. The splits are:

Mile 1 - 8:38

Mile 2 - 8:42

Mile 3 - 8:49

Mile 4 - 9:14

Mile 5 - 9:11

Mile 6 - 9:22

It was a straight out and back run and, as the times indicate, the wind was with me on the way out but it was a strong headwind on the way back.

Spoons - considering the split times, this run didnt feel hard at all. If I was running with someone I could have easily held a conversation. I ran on effort rather than the watch and this was the result. 

• Carter - that's perfect then  - your endurance base is building nicely. Keep at it and that easy pace will get quicker at the same effort level. image

• Lots going on over here!! Good stuff!! 

• How's your running going Spoons ? Did I see somewhere you have glute issues ?
  • Not very good I'm afraid. I'm riddled with issues image

• Carter you are building very nicely  - it's a great feeling being surprised at your splits for what feels a very easy pace! Progress!

My cold has gone from bad to worse and I felt rotten today & a little chesty. Day from hell at work and late home and was close to binning to nights scheduled session.

Went out anyway with a mind to do the planned hill session at a lower intensity to see how I felt. Felt ok so pushed on as normal just not running each rep as "all out" as I usually would.
    Strange thing is I suddenly felt much better on the last mile home (despite being clipped by an oncoming cars wing mirror) and still feel much better than I have done all day - so it appears the session actually did me the world of good!
    Anyway - a few paracodal and off to bed and hopefully will feel more like myself tomorrow.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Interesting discussion on these MLR's. Like you Carter I am not very good at getting up early to run 8 - 10 + miles before getting ready to go to work. I would need to get up at about 5am.

Tonight I was home late from work and had to spend a little time with the wee ones before going back out. Going for a run at 9.30pm seems almost equally ridiculuous as 5am.

So I might need to see if I can get it in during the day. Minni is right in that it is only a relatively short time but it is hard to get the balance right.

Once I get my watch to work I will provide details of my run.

Ricky - well done for getting out with you not feeling so well.

Carter - great session from you today. Good to hear you say that you are surprised how easy the level of effort was.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Sportswatch was not cooperating with me very well tonight so I had to run blind. Funnily enough it did record all the data so I can share my stats.

My plan tonight was to run an 8 mile MLR and to do 2 miles at MP these being planned for mile 6 and 7. As I know thw route quite well I had a reasonable idea where I transitioned from mile 5 to mile 6.

The route gently rises through the first mile, rises steeply through mile 2, descends rapidly through mile 3, continues to descend (but more slowly) through miles 4 and 5 is flat through mile 6 and begins to rise from miles 7 until I get back home.

As I went out very late mentally I wanted to get back home so I guessed I was running quicker than I should have and my MP miles were relative to the pace I had been running.

Mile 1 - 8:40

Mille 2 - 9:05

Mile 3 - 8:04

Mile 4 - 8:45

Mile 5 - 8:29

Mile 6 (MP) - 8:17

Mile 7 (MP) - 8:19

Mile 8 - 8:48

Mile 9 (0.83m) - 7:25

Overall 8.83 miles at 8:36 min/mile avg.

What I am pleased about is that I ran the two MP miles at more or less the same pace even if a bit quicker than I should have.

What this also shows is that I do rely on my watch to get the pacing right so I am hoping that over the next few weeks I get to understand the feel of MP much better so that I can adjust up or down more easily.

What is good about this is that I was very comfortable running at this pace and had no difficulty adjusting to the quicker pace for the two MP miles.

• Getting the feel of MP is essential and get's easier. On race day you should be able to hit it bang on without needing to look at your watch. Practice, practice, practice....

• Spoons - half marathon in 10 days time. Tactics ?

I would like to run under 1:45 which is just under 8:00 per mile.

On my last half I went off at about 8:15 and managed to hang on at that pace ending up @ 8:12 average. So, I'm thinking that I will go off at 8:00 this time and maintain at least that pace, bearing in my mind my last race was my first half and I have since done some speed sessions. What are your thoughts ?
  • Carl - I've just looked out the window at work and there is this big orange thing in the sky above Nottingham.......

It got me to thinking about your Paris marathon. Is the temperature that different in Paris in April to that in England ? Do you have to do anything specific as part of your training for a potential change in temperature ? The last couple of weeks have been ideal training for my Manchester marathon in late April image 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Carter - must do some research on this. The race starts at 9am as fracas I know which is 8am here so I think it is quite cold at the start.

Like London in April you can get some very wa days so I suppose it could be warm. And as the boulevards are much wider there than the streets in London there probably is not much hade.

So if the sun comes up it could get quite warm.

And running in these conditions does not really prepare you for that.

I suppose it will come down to hydration and taking on water or sports drink little at a time and more frequently than I do at the moment
  • Aaaaargh.... Now coughin phlegm & feel worse than ever.

After some googling it appears if ur sick below the neck u shudnt run. So no 7miler tonite image. Very frustrating to go off schedule in only the 5th week.

Due to do a 7 miler tonite , rest tomoro, 7 on sat and then 17 LSR on sun.

Advice guys? Thinking miss next two runs in an effort to get better and get the 17 LSR in as its the key run of the week?

Swallowing vitC, multi vits & and paracodol as we speak....
  • Ricky - get yourself better first. Missing 2 sessions isnt going to affect your preperation so as soon as you feel better just carry on. Maybe you could a bit of speedwork or hillwork in on your LSR to make up for it e.g. 3 miles @ MP ? Spoons will be along shortly, lets see what he says.

Carl - temperature is between 8 - 18 in Paris in April according to the website I've just looked at.Is it going to be a family trip ?

So then, when 8 X 800 was suggested as part of my training plan why didnt somebody tell me it would hurt !! Details to follow

• Here we go then.

1.5 mile warm up @ 8:27

Split 1 - 6:41

Split 2 - 6:51

Split 3 - 6:50

Split 4 - 6:51 

Split 5 - 6:59

Split 6 - 6:55

Split 7 - 6:52

Split 8 - 6:57

Spoons set my 800m target at 7:00 so achieved that with a consistant set of splits; very happy with the results considering I thought my leg had dropped off during the 6th split. There was a 1 minute recovery between each split. Then I decided to do a mile at MP (8:45) and it ended up at 8:02 and again it felt really comfortable. I dont quite understand how, this week, that all of a sudden running at between 8:00 and 8:30 seems, dare I say, relatively comfortable. Obviously it's a good thing but I still dont understand it !! image

• 165 miles for the month image

• Really flying Carter! Congrats image