Bandaging to support posterior tibial

I've had a posterior tibial strain, which is much improved, but not yet 100%. I have the Thames Trot 50 this Saturday and I'd like to support the tendon to minimise further strain. I've looked up taping methods and found a taping pattern which provides some support. However, given it looks like I'll be in either foot-deep mud or ankle-deep water for much of the race, I'm not sure tape will stick properly. Has anyone got a good pattern for bandaging e.g. using cohesive bandage to support the tendon, which is more likely to stay in place despite getting wet?

Comments

• Try Kinesio taping. It sticks like s**t to a blanket.

• Cut a piece to run length from the tib post to the base of 5th metatarsal
    • round off the corners - less chance of them getting caught and peeling
    • dorsi flex & invert your foot (point foot upwards & inwards)
    • anchor one end of the tape at approx the start of tip post or halfway up the inside of the leg, behind the shin bone.
    • stretch the tape by approx 75% and stick it all down progressively until the other end sticks to the base of 5th metatarsal
    • rub the tape vigorously with the backing tape to ensure it sticks firmly

n.b. tib post mainly attaches to the inside of the foot but attaching the tape to the outside on a stretch will hold the foot to a degree of inversion thus taking strain off the tib post.

Hope this helps 

• Hi Ajax, thanks for this. I will be doing this, or something very like it. Unfortunately so far I've found kinesio tape doesn't stick that well on me once it gets wet, which is going to happen on TT50 (ankle deep water reported on parts of the route at present), which is why I've been trying to work out something I could do using cohesive bandage as a back-up. Oh well, guess all I can do is apply the tape and hope. Thanks again.

• That's strange, I've found it remains in place even after a shower or bath. Cohesive bandage is good stuff too, sticking to itself but not the skin. I'd be interested to know how it behaved in your race.

• I'll report back. At the moment I'm thinking put the tape on, then wrap cohesive bandage around my ankle just above the ankle bone, over the top of the tape, to encourage it to stay put!

• There are now different brands of kinesio tape around, some with inferior adhesive, the cohesive is a good idea to keep it on - not too tight though! 

Agree with Ajax, but i would just invert the foot when applying and start from just below tibial tuberosity at top of inside of shin - but thats personal preference.

• The one I'm using has "KT" printed on it at intervals.

Suggestions for strongest-sticking brand?

• Yeah, thats probably a cheaper version of original...   you could try 'RockTape' its american but UK distributor:

http://www.physique.co.uk/dolc_product.asp?ssearch=rock+tape&search=&PCId=836

www.rocktape.net as well!

I know people who have said its good

• Okay, that's three votes I've had for Rock Tape - I know what to buy next time. No way i can get it in time for Saturday. However, since the course is being moved to mainly country lanes and roads, due to flooding making long sections of the Thames Path impassible, at least the tape is less likely to get soaked and loosen or float away!

• That is a bonus!  Good luck tomorrow.  I'd like to do an ultra one day...

• The efficiency of tape is only as good as the tape the taper puts on. It's a pain reliever at best and won't give any support image

Is your TP too long or too short?
  • As an aside I found the KT brand completely useless. Rock Tape, in the words of Ajax, "sticks like s**t to a blanket" image 

My local Sweatshop are selling both brands. Rock Tape is £8 cheaper and not precut to lengths I don't want

• Ajax: Well, I finished. Don't know how long the tape stuck, but it was totally loose & came off with my socks when I removed them at the end - however I hadn't been aware of it slipping or moving. The first ankle-deep water was within the first mile, and there were more wet bits later (nearly up to my knees across a flooded meadow before CP5). Tendon started hurting before CP2, on a long stretch of very muddy, slippery bridleway. Unfortunately this threw my gait/running style off and I must have started heel-striking rather than midfoot landing, which was a real problem because of most of the course being diverted onto road (and my uncushioned trail shoes). I realised what had happened when my heels started to hurt. The bruised heels meant my pace dropped off, particularly towards the end. I could barely hobble (I wouldn't have called it walking) around the house on Sunday. I've been icing the tendon and the heels. Right heel is pretty much okay as of this morning and the left foot is much better than it was. Still icing the tendon. Twitching to be running again - the leg muscles are fine!