Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Hi everyone...another bright and blustery day...washing is outimage

Did we establish that the tram is free marathon day?  So family etc can hop on and off all day?  Will you still need to get some sort of ticket?  I live in Lymm so just trying to think of the logistics of getting to the start etc?  Maybe I should park up in Alti and get the tram to Trafford Bar?  Any suggestions welcome....preferably ones that don't involve loads of walking as I will be struggling to complete the course as it is!

Where would be the closest I could drive to without meeting a closed road?

Sorry for all the questions!

Rob, have you stretched your calves?  I only get sore calves after running a lot of hills but I do know a few good stretches (though shamedly I don't even tend to stretch after a long run these days)

I did see something on the net about that runner...a lot of people seemed to be criticising her for taking it, and that it wouldn't have mattered what time she got as she was running for charity, and it was a stupid thing to do etc...BUT, she seemed like a really decent runner, and whether running for charity or not, there is nothing wrong with wanting to better your time.  The fact that you could buy this stuff so easily, she would not have thought it was any worse than perhaps some caffeine gels or glucose drinks.  I have never heard of it, but if someone offered me some then whose to say I wouldn't have taken it?  You never imagine something like that to have an adverse affect, so yeah, I think it is a bit harsh, she was a young girl, what a waste.

I did 6 miles in the wind last night...and have to wait for my partner to get back from his spinning class before I head out at about 7-30 tonight....I reckon I will just do 4 miles.

What's everyones long run this weekend? My "plan" says 10 miles, but I am getting a bit nervous that everyone is miles ahead of me.  Then again, I don't want to get injured, having just got back into it etc!

RP

xx

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Morning all. I'm afraid I cant contribute to tram discussions as I dont live locally and will be travelling in from Bramhall where I'll be staying at the outlaws. Probably have to get a train in but will check up onit closer to the time me thinks.

Did a gentle five miler yesterday.

RP my LSR for this weekend is a twelve mile one. I do mine on a Friday because thats my day off.

I'm getting a bit nervous about this race. In the past my marathons have both been a disaster. I've trained well, rested well and done everything I should do and then on the day just go to pieces! I've told my wife if I get sub 5 hours this is my last marathon and then I'll concentrate on reducing my half marathon time!

Loving the training though. And enjoying being part of this forum ....... bring it on!

• Ah cybarev,,,,what goes wrong?   I am not fast either, and don't train hard but it normally goes ok on the day.  I have done 7 so far, so maybe I can help? (not that I am an expert or owt!).

We really need to start planning the post race drinks...that usually keeps me going!

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

In October at the Liverpool Marathon I felt rough at 4 miles!!!!! and knew I was in trouble and at 8 miles I was throwing up on the pavement! I think it might be nerves or adreneline. I got round but it was so slow and was down more to grit anmd determination than the training I'd put in!

• I did Liverpool the year before last...I found it really hard!

Hmm..it does sound like nerves, and I get nervouse too.  I take it you are not eating or drinking anything you are not used to on race day?  Are you leaving enough time between eating and running?  You might be best having a mammoth evening meal the night before and then just a really light breakfast?  Have you tried stuff like that on your training runs?

RP

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Training runs normally happen in the morning after a reasonable breakfast eg cereal, fruit juice and some toast.

Last time in Liverpool I thought it might be because of too much sugar like sports drinks and jelly babies! So this time I'm going to be a lot more conservative in my sugar intake. I was having a jelly baby every mile, which I'd tried in my training and it worked fine!

• Got my 16 in last night before the rain started.

25 laps of the track tonight for me fast/slow

Saturday morning run is a 22 miler on the Middlewood way

RP - We drove in via Chorlton last year and parked up about 100yrds from Longford park,this year they are letting use the car parks at Old Trafford, so there will be plenty of parking space.

Cybarev- I don't live that far from Bramhall, the train isn't a good option, there's quite a few running from our club and I'll organize a lift for you if you want, if you don't mind travelling down we us.

Enjoy your training 

• Hi

Hmmm, a jelly baby per mile doesn't sound excessive to me...I normally have a fair few gels and haribo on a marathon or really long run, plus energy drink.  Did you have the same for breakfast on marathon day as normal?

I get myself in a right state on marathon day, I don;t know why...a bag of nerves.  I am ok once I get going and after the first mile I enjoy it, but like you, I get all worked up, though not enough to make me ill...so far!

• Cybarev- Try porridge with honey as your racing breakfast, have you tried gels?

After trying different one's SIS gels work for me.

• Another vote for SIS gels...I use the Caffeine ones and swear by them.  Plus they are isotonic..I couldn't be without them.

• RP- I'm good with my stretches coz I'm paranoid about injury. Do a good 20min before then about 10mins after & have ice baths after my long runs. Think i just went too fast. That's why I bit the bullet with the garmin I'm rubbish at judging pace can be v erratic. Hopefully that'll be end of it. 18 for me this week but next week drop down to 15. I do a 4 week cycle,3 increasing in distance then 1 easier then build up again obviously going further on next cycle.

Cybarev- sounds like nerves & dodgy gut. I can't eat during the run.

Anyone doing a half before hand
  • Redpanda - be careful with the caffeine gels - they are supposed to be used as your last one at the end of run to give you that last big boost to get to end. They really give a short burst of extra energy and taken to early in a run they can be counter productive

• Hi....I have been using them for years without issueimage.  That said, I don't take "that" many...maybe 3 max on a 20 mile run, seems ok for me. 

I believe there are gels on the course?  I am not sure whether to just stick with mine or take on board the ones given out?  Some gels I have found, just don't do much (I have never found any that disagree with me, but some just don't have an effect)

If it's not too much trouble, can people tell me what long runs they are doing for the next few weeks?  12 to be exact!  I am just kind of modifiying a beginners plan, but am worried I am not going to be ready.

As of March I am going to do a mid week "long" run of 8 or 10 miles to help with stamina.  I don't feel up to it yet, especially in the cold and dark, but hopefully I will be ok come March!

RP

• any news from the manc marathon about what nutrition is going to be provided? I'm almost certainly just going to carry my own and use the water on the course, but was curious that it's 12 weeks away and they've not posted anything on their site about what products will be available at the aid stations.

also, does anyone know how easy it is to get around the course for spectators? The website just lists 3 or 4 spectator points but doesn't say if any of them are near a train/tram line, or how easy it is to travel between them. sadly the 20/21 mile point seems to be out in the sticks a bit (and i don't see any trainlines or stations nearby) which is a shame as that's when i'll probably start feeling the aches and need the support.

well, nevermind, hopefully i can find a pacing group to run with and we can gee each other along when it gets tough.

• AgentGinger wrote (see)

also, does anyone know how easy it is to get around the course for spectators? The website just lists 3 or 4 spectator points but doesn't say if any of them are near a train/tram line, or how easy it is to travel between them. sadly the 20/21 mile point seems to be out in the sticks a bit (and i don't see any trainlines or stations nearby) which is a shame as that's when i'll probably start feeling the aches and need the support.

well, nevermind, hopefully i can find a pacing group to run with and we can gee each other along when it gets tough.

I live in Timperley

I think the tram was free to runners only last year but as I've said in an earlier post we use the day tickets quite alot as a family and they work out alot cheaper than family tickets

Off the top of my head, Streford Station is a 1-2 minute walk from Chester Road (4.5 miles and 24.5 mile mark), you go pretty much past Sale Station (7.5 miles), very close to Brooklands (9 miles) and then past it (16.5 miles) and you're pretty much in the centre of the Altrincham stretch (12-13 miles) from Alty station.

Other than that you'd need a car or to station yourself (excuse the pun) in one area

I'm still struggling with times, compared to the last few months of last year and I think my sub 4:00-4:30 is going out of the window but I'm getting the mileage in. My long run is still a Tuesday morning and I'm up to 13 miles but February ramps it up with 2  X 14 miles, a 16 mile and an 18 mile, alongside my other 3 weekly "jogs" so I may have to do these in the evening or after work

I think I'm going to start off with the 4:00 Brooks pace runner and then drop off the pace if I start to struggle

Just getting used to eating/drinking on the run as it's not something I've bothered with for half-marathons. Based on the 30g of carbs per hour rule, that works out at about quarter of a 240g bag of jelly babies per hour, so yes around 1-2 jelly babies per mile. May still trial the SIS gels

• The plan is 18 15 half (mp)18 20 16 18 20 22 17 14 10. I think
  • Rob Whyley wrote (see)
    The plan is 18 15 half (mp)18 20 16 18 20 22 17 14 10. I think

13 14 16 14 18 14 18 half (wilmslow) 18 20 13 13, my long run is at the start of the week so I still get the taper at the end. I think you're doing a fair bit more up the higher end than I am

• Also realised that all the bumpf I've just done about the tram stops and race route is on the website anyway

Off the top of my head, Streford Station is a 1-2 minute walk from Chester Road (4.5 miles and 24.5 mile mark), you go pretty much past Sale Station (7.5 miles), very close to Brooklands (9 miles) and then past it (16.5 miles) and you're pretty much in the centre of the Altrincham stretch (12-13 miles) from Alty station.

Other than that you'd need a car or to station yourself (excuse the pun) in one area

• My plan more resembles yours rockinrocky...it's always interesting to compare though.

One thing I can guarantee...you always turn up at the start line and think "I wish I had trained more"

But as someone once said to me, far better to have slightly undertrained but arrived at the start line fit and healthy, than got injured through overtraining...just a balance I guess image

• Wow, this has livened up a bit this week. 

Nice to see some more posts from Jonah.  Well done again in Berlin, I think you were a few mins in front of me.  Boston will be great and is also on my list but might have to wait a couple of years for me as my money is going on Comrades this year and might next as well, if it is a good experience.

I'd agree with the shouts for SiS gels and Garmins; I've had a 305 for 7 years or so.   I'd also never heard of Jack3D until yesterday's sad report.

Manchester will be the meat in my 3 week marathon sandwich with London and Milton Keynes.  What build up races are others doing?  Wilmslow half I see above, any others?

In case anyone else is interested, the line up for London this year looks phenomenal:

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/news-and-media/news-and-media/press-release-25-01-13-best-ever-field-assembled-2

• RP- don't mention the dreaded I word. Allready paranoid, everytime I go out I worry. Just keep doing the stretches & hope for best. I'm a driver so sitting on my bum allday doesn't help the hammies much. Was bout as subtle as a brick before.

Ally Hills- is London wk before? Not much recovery time if it is. I'm planning great northwest in Blackpool, a chance to run with a pace group.

Stretching, core & strength sesh for this evening. Don't particularly like it but got to be done I spose
  • Hi Ally..another fast oneimage 

Ah Rob, you will be ok.  No point in worrying about stuff that might not happen.  It would be a pain, but it would be worse if you had gone abroad to run and were ill on the day or something.  I knew someone who had trained, and gone over for the Paris marathon, only to eat something dodgy the night before and end up with food poisoning on marathon day.  Game over!  All that money!!

Do you  do your strength thing in the gym?  I have started doing sit ups and weights (light ones) at home when the baby is asleep, it's probably not as good as the gym, but better than nothing.

I think I might do 3 or 4 tonight, spinning on Fri pm, 10 miles on Sat, then spinning Sunday morning...at least that's the "plan", we will see!image

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

I'm doing the Dorney Lake Half Marathon in Windsor on 16th March. Thats the only race I can squeeze in before Manchester.

Jonah, thanks for the offer of the lift but I'm going ot have my family and fan club with me!!!!! so we'll make our own way. But thanks again.

12 miles for me tomorrow.

have a great weekend folks. I'm going out to buy some SIS gels!!!!

• Hi everyone, I signed up for this yesterday and have started to get nervous already!

• RP- I don't use the gym just do it at home.

Hi Andy
  • Ally loved every minute of Berlin, after the first few miles I knew I wasn't going to hit my target so I went on auto pilot to go sub 3, that's my target to do all the Majors sub 3(on course at the moment)

Got out of work early and sneaked a 5 mile rec, then later went to track and did a 8 mile track session kept all the miles at 6.15,so everything looks on track for Boston and Manchester.

This will be my fifth Manchester marathon did my first one in 1981!!!!!!

All enjoy your weekend runs.

• Redpanda wrote (see)

My plan more resembles yours rockinrocky...it's always interesting to compare though.

One thing I can guarantee...you always turn up at the start line and think "I wish I had trained more"

But as someone once said to me, far better to have slightly undertrained but arrived at the start line fit and healthy, than got injured through overtraining...just a balance I guess image

Yep, it's my first marathon following a couple of halfs last year so I went for one of the "get you round" plans, although I did have a reasonable base to start from

You then start reading (or worse still Googling!) articles where people are saying you shouldn't do under 50 miles a week, you should do 'x' number of runs and 'y' number of 20+ mile runs etc and you start to panic

I'm going to stick to my plan (around 35- 40 miles per week) and see how we go, there's always next time if something hasn't worked or something could have been done differently

My other half bought me "The Non-Runners Marathon Trainer" book  for Christmas which has some interesting stories and insights, not something I'd follow but the emphasis on the psychological side and approach is quite good

Had a good 8 miles this morning, felt like i was starting to pick up again after a slow January. End of the week wind down run tomorrow morning around 7 miles and then back to the build up with a 14 miler on Tuesday.

I've always had Sunday off as I coach a junior rugby team but at the moment I'm not doing any cross training which I was doing 1-2 days per week (Mon and Wed), at home. Once I'm back to somewhere around last autumn's times I might reintroduce them, although over-training might be the reason I've struggled to shift the cold/bug I had over the last few weeks

Looking forward to the lighter mornings and getting back to doing runs along the canal towpath

• Hi there

Have faith in the plan!  They are written for a reason, but yeah, you always doubt it and always wonder if you have done enough.  I have done marathons after sticking religiously to a plan and others only very vaguely, and to be honest I have always been fine (though obviously a bit faster with more training).

The main thing I have always found is not to skimp on the long runs.  I never fixated on 10k's or even halfs instead of a long run(I know plenty who did!), and it has served me very well.  So basically, whatever else happens, just make sure you do the long runs, at a reasonably slow pace...which sounds like you are doing anyway.

In my experience, those long and lonely 20 mile runs in the Winter are far far harder than the marathon day in the Spring.  Ok, it's further than you have ever run, but then you have the crowds, you are rested after your taper, and you will have hopefully carbo loaded, so it should all come together.

I agree about the lighter mornings and nights....

I didn't make it out last night, had enough of running in the wind for the past 3 runs! Just couldn't be bothered....ah well.....back to it tomorrow!

RP

• Redpanda wrote (see)

Hi there

Have faith in the plan!  They are written for a reason, but yeah, you always doubt it and always wonder if you have done enough.  I have done marathons after sticking religiously to a plan and others only very vaguely, and to be honest I have always been fine (though obviously a bit faster with more training).

The main thing I have always found is not to skimp on the long runs.  I never fixated on 10k's or even halfs instead of a long run(I know plenty who did!), and it has served me very well.  So basically, whatever else happens, just make sure you do the long runs, at a reasonably slow pace...which sounds like you are doing anyway.

In my experience, those long and lonely 20 mile runs in the Winter are far far harder than the marathon day in the Spring.  Ok, it's further than you have ever run, but then you have the crowds, you are rested after your taper, and you will have hopefully carbo loaded, so it should all come together.

I agree about the lighter mornings and nights....

I didn't make it out last night, had enough of running in the wind for the past 3 runs! Just couldn't be bothered....ah well.....back to it tomorrow!

RP

Yep, I think I'm fairly comfortable with most things but need to factor in a sensible taper, an area again where there seems to be much debate.

I think the current plan has the last long run of about 10-12 miles around 10 days before the race and then a number of maintenance runs to keep you ticking over.

• Hi, yes, that sounds perfect.

I would resist the urge to do anything much more than 10 miles as your last long run.  I once stupidly, tried to cram in a 17 miler the weekend before a marathon, thinking it would serve me well.  It didn't.  It was the hardest marathon I ever did, and I thought I wasn't going to finish!  If you aint ready by then, you never will beimage