training methods.

Started running over 6 yrs ago when I was 38.Did most of my running initially on a treadmill and started to do some races , 5k 23 mins and 10 k av 52 mins.Over the years I have used the treadmill alot less and instead ran outside, including cross country, fell, etc.Going into my first half marathon last yr I was really disappointed to not get sub 2 hrs.Got 2 hrs 2 mins.Subsequently I,m finding my times all seem to be slowing up.Ran a 10k before xmas (it was cross country so granted times would be slower )........and my time for this 10 k was 58 mins.......never ran a 10 k so slow.Got a fast 5 mile road race coming up and I,m wondering if to quit the roads and train on the treadmill to get my pace back up .........whats happening to me is it old age lol...............how can I get my times back down.

Comments

• What's your training been like ?

Maybe you just need to add some speed sessions in ?
  • roebyroeby ✭✭✭

usually do a long 10 miler trail run, then 4 or 5 shorter faster runs in the week usually road runs and these are usually 3-5 miles each .I try to do about 20 miles a week.But these last 6 mnths have done no timed treadmill stuff, which I think was helping my pace.

• you might need to add some fast intervals in?

• The other question, is how accurate was the course measured on your last 10k? I don't do that many XC races, but the few I have done all come up as very strange distances. Maybe it was over 10k? Just a thought!

• good spot Rafiki, even if it was as near to 10k as it could be, the terrain would make a lot of difference too.

• Also the ground has been much heavier this winter causing xc times in general to be slower.

Suzanne was it your first half marathon? Your opening post suggests that your longest race beforehand was 10k. Have you fully evaluated your race - this could include how you felt on the day, weather conditions, terrain and your consistency of running (e.g. did you start too quickly), any or a combination of these could've led to your disappointment.

In answer to your initial question, treadmills can help train your cadence for certain paces but be careful about becoming reliant of them in lieu of running outdoors; your body still needs to be conditioned to running up & downhill, turnings, weather, surface etc. so to mix it up a bit between indoor & outdoor running should be a better approach.

I agree with Coughie & Max's Mum that speedwork / intervals will help. Some good sessions can be found under the training tab above.

A sub 2hr half is a fraction over 9 minute miling so it should also benefit you if you try to hit this pace in some of your shorter distance (working up to 5 miles) training runs.

Stick with it, I'm sure it will come. Good luck

• Rafiki does raise a good point - you cant really get a true picture off the time of one race - especially as its Xcountry and not road.

You could have had an off day.

The course might have been long,

The conditions might have been tricky.

You might be crap off road.

It might all be a storm in a teacup.

Get to a parkrun and then see how you are.