Training for a big event.

Hey, I have been running now for around 6 months and have kind of got 'the bug'. I am a larger frame (6' and around 15.5 stone). I can run 10k in an hr on road surfaces, I have been advised to not run on consecutive days because i am a larger frame. This really frustrates me as I have never had a running injury and don't suffer from the normal aches of post training. I have never done a major event before and have the chance of running an event consisting of a 6k run, 11k run covering 800m altitude, a half marathon and 10k run over 4 day period. Could someone please put me out of my misery and tell me running on consecutive days is OK and any training tips for the event? Thank you

Comments

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

You didn't say who advised you not to run on consecutive days?  It does seem very strange advice, and may have been given as an initial guide as I think most of the C25k and similar beginner schedules tend to leave at least a day between sessions.  However, as you've been running for over 6 months, you should be safe to add additional runs into your average week.

I would say try it and see how you get on, as most runners can happily run on several consecutive days.  For the first few occassions, its probably worth doing a shorter session on the first day, and the longer session on the second day - so that you start the second day with minimal fatigue.

This advice has the usual caveats that I'm not medically qualified and I only have your post to base my opinion on!  But it does strike me that someone's given you some duff advice, however well intentioned.

• "larger frame" generally means diddlysquat.  I'm a larger frame than you - over 16stone - and run when I feel like it.  if you want to run on consecutive days - that's your choice.  and as long as your weight isn't causing you grief, ignore the naysayers

HOWEVER - I'll throw some caveats in.

only run on consecutive days if you don't go balls out on every one. mix up the pace and distances. 

only run on consecutive days if you aren't suffering post-run pains or injuries. if you are - take a day's rest

rest days are important as they allow the muscles to recover from the pounding you're giving them.  at least one a week, 2 if you are going longer and/or harder.  and work on cycles of 3 weeks of hard work; 1 week of easy/rest to aid mental recovery and to prevent overtraining syndrome

I don't run every day these days - I have no need to - and as a triathlete I need to mix riding and swimming in.  and when I'm in full event training I could be doing something 6 days a week (sometimes 2 sessions a day) - but always at least one complete rest day

• Large frame is bullshit...which one in the picture below has got a large frame?

http://www.abc.net.au/changi/images/aspinall/aspinall_3fitmen.jpg

• Thanks guys, the advice was given from work colleagues so that's why i post on here. Hoping for a response from someone who maybe has more experience. I did a 10k run yesterday, but felt i could go on longer. Unfortunately it was getting dark and i did not have the appropriate safety clothing on and the streets are poorly lit so was going to attempt it today, but wanted to get opinions first.

• As long as you are wearing suitable running shoes, preferably sold to you after a gait analysis, and some sorbothane insoles to absorb some of the impact you should be fine.  It is a matter of getting to know your own limitations and training your body to accept the stresses you put on it.  I am 6'4" and 15 stone and run most days without problem.  To begin with, however, instead of running back to back 10k i would run maybe two 5k, then on 10k one 5k and progress up slowly.  With regards to training tips for the event have you thought about altitude training?  At Core Conditioning Ltd Manchester we have an altitude training system which adapts to your body in real time and can lower the oxygen levels to as low as 7%.  It has proven results in increasing peoples fitness levels, reducing recovery times and even aiding in weight loss.  Get in touch if you would like some more info.

• Chris - If you want to advertise a product please contact the website and pay for an ad.

If someone's running 10 in an hour there are lots of cheaper things to be done improve times than altitude training. Run more would be my initial advice!

• Meh - if you want to run, then run. If it hurts, then maybe run a bit less. See how your body feels, that's the thing. I'm 6'2" and started running at 16st 7lb. In the last year and a bit I've run some days, missed some days, and run back to back some days. 

Go get 'em tiger.

• Would anyone really need altitude training for an event run at 800mtrs image

A strong contender for most inappropriate plug of the year.

• Altitude training isn't just about preparing for being at altitude. It increases fitness levels and reduces recovery time. For an event such as the one described it would be a valid and valuable training tool.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Do you only ever post about your altitude training company on here?

I may be wrong but it just looks like advertising to me.
  • I am new to the forum as of today and have signed up to get some tips as I have just signed up for my first triathlon. I was also thinking I may be able to share some of my expertise as an experienced Sports Scientist. Admittedly my first couple of posts have focussed on the altitude trainer, but that was mainly because I was surprised that there was very little discussion on here about it. Apologise if it came across as purely advertising.
  • sorry chris ..don't buy it first 6 posts all about your own business............if it was  adiscusiion you wanted one new thread would have done it.,you are digging up old threads just to advertise......

• The altitude system is not mine to advertise. I am a self employed sports scientist and personal trainer who does some work out of a studio which has the system. I just happen to believe in the system and its benefits. Again I apologise if anything I have posted has angered you but it was not the intention.
  • As a UKA qualified coach I make it a point not to suggest ways to improve posters performances on-line. I believe you need to know their previous running history, health history etc so I normally only deal with people face to face.

Suggesting any form of atitude training to someone with only 6 months running history is in my opinion laughable.

• I fear the point may be being missed here. Having 6 months running experience is completely irrelevant. Maybe the term altitude trainer is confusing people. It has nothing to do with preparing for altitude. Every time one of your muscles fire o2 is required. If your body can carry more o2, and utilize o2 more effectively and efficiently then it will perform better no matter what your training history. The system I am speaking of is tried and tested, used by track cyclists, NFL teams, wigan RLas well as by doctors in the states as a treatment for asthma. It is suitable for anyone at any level. The gentleman stated he was running 45+k over 4 days. Anything that may help the recovery is surely worth consideration.
  • Chris.

The fact that a runner has only a 6 month running history is completely relevant and I think you are foolish to think otherwise.

I feel the product you are plugging is for the much more serious athlete who is hoping to get that little competitve edge over the opposition.

If the OP goes on to achieve his goal, & I hope he does, it will be the result of alot of hard work, increasing his training and taking heed of some of the more sensible advice given by some of the posters above.