2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• A 10 mile run today in the sun. Shorts, Sunglases.....and gloves/Hat imagen  Took it easy - very enjoyable !!

Hope everyone having a good day !!

• Well done on the 10  AGF...and hardly surprising you got plenty of offers to look after Lulu..bet she wont get quite so much exercise while your away  though image

Nice and sunny here too but still in tights..it has to be very warm or racing for me to get the legs out..

8.1 miles in 70 mins

21 tomorrow image

off to work now

• Great 11 miles NN, noticing the lengthening days here too. Love it! image Good run today too but I'm with you, still in warmest tights, 2 long sleeve tops, jacket etc.....

OH work does sometimes conspire against our run plans. Hope you have a relaxing weekend.

If you stayed closer I'd be offering to look after Lulu too AGF! image You could always just pop her on the Inverness flight!

Hope you get out this weekend HM4.

Sounds like a nice run there AGF. image

Did my 22 this morning in lovely sunshine. A few slippery patches but conditions perfect. Such an easy run, had company & time flies when chatting. Saw you near the end Stewart, that was a big group out! image

F

• Meant to add with all the foam rolling (agony last night image) my knee seems 100% today so back to the roller! image

F

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fiona,

I should do.

• NP, hope the race goes well today

Tek, Hope the legs have recovered and the massage has done the business

AGF, nothing better than a fish supper image, another good run today

SM6, Hope the legs are better and your run went well today

HM4, you're now getting back into it so those totals will creep up

Fiona, well done on the 22 you both looked very comfortable, it was a mystery mile group run today, must have been around 30 of us, I plodded along at the back as it was a recovery run for me after last night's effort. I'm a fan of the roller too, I'll be on it later today.

NN, my mileages are increasing and the body is coping, so I've got to be happy with that, another good run at low HR, well done, enjoy the 21 tomorrow.

Interval session last night 4x800m repeats with 400m recoveries between, started with a mile warm up and finished with a mile cool down.  Another tough session and  I was blowing a little at the end, but I'm starting to see some improvement, from the last time I did this session back in September.

/members/images/696098/Gallery/2Feb_0.jpg

recovery run today 5m in a little over an hour legs are felt better after the run. 49 miles for the week

• Fiona nice 22 today in the sun

Good recovery run Stewart C

Managed 22.25 my longest run ever this morning , was nice and sunny but had a biting wind to contend with, happy with time at 3:15 splits 8.39 8.36 8.42 8.42 8.43 8.42 8.45 8.44 8.54 8.13 8.49 8.55 8.47 8.42 9.02 8.56 9.01 8.58 8.56 8.58 8.47 8.57 8.45 8.39 , felt okay at the end although and could have kept on going, a good confidence boost.

Hope everyone has some good running this weekend
  • MG1, congrats on the distance PB, consistent pacing well done
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF nice sunny 10 milerimage

Stuart hope the legs are better affter the day off

NP lol. How was the race?

HM it's a startimage

Fiona fantastic 22m today...glad the knee's ok

NN good 11 miler yesterday, well done on today's 8.1m and good luck for tomorrow's 21m.

OH nice running and swimming. Enjoy the weekend offimage

Stewart well done on a tough speed session yesterday; nice recovery today and congratulations on the week's mileageimage

MG super long run - do you know yet what time you're shooting for in Rotterdam?

---

9m this morning, all ok hereimage

I've found hopefully a more stable place for the race list...click here http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=53497

• Tek, well , my initial goal was for 3.45 but it's into the unknown as it will be my first marathon . Do you think i could reduce that a litltle?
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG if you're feeling good after 22.25m, and with quite a few weeks of training left, I'm sure you'll do very well. 

I would say, however, don't do too many long runs at a pace close to race pace - you don't want to leave your race on the training ground, and the required adaptations to the slow-twitch muscle fibres come from low intensity running.

Have you got a recent Half time?

• NN - Nice running. I think your son should easily clear 1.35, I ran 95.17 off a much slower 10k time last spring. I hope to be faster than that when I'm as old as 31 thoughimage

OH - At least you go something done last night!

HM - A little is still better than nothingimage

Fiona - Nice long run today

AGF - Well done on the easy 10

Stewart - Nice intervals, I really need to get back to 800s too.

MG - Fantastic pace for the 22. Looking good for 3.45, at leastimage

Tek - Well done

---------

4.1 miles this morning @ 8.59. Legs were having none of it, so bailed near my house at 4 miles as I had plans anyway.

A gentle hillwalk this afternoon, 7.0 miles, 430m climb in 2.45. Tempted to re-attempt this 10 miles tonight as it seems to have loosened my legs up a bit, and I don't fancy doing 10 tomorrow, then 20 on Monday. Not sure its wise though.

• Tek, last half in October was 1.40,. Agree I need to slow the long runs a bit

Stuart 6 that's a busy couple of days coming !
  • Hi Peeps lots of reading back.

AGF nice running in the sun image

NN nice 8 miles enjoy your 21 tomorrow image

Fiona another fantastic 22 miles in the bank and its great that the knee/leg is 100% image so happy for you as you have put some great work in over the fast few months.

SC well done on the interval session and recovery run, hard work but worth it image

MG1 fantastic 22 mile run for you well on the way to a PB image

Teknik nice 9 miles in the bag and nice place for the listimage

SM6 keep at it, I know it's not always possible to feel 100% give the 10 a miss tomorrow and do 6 with the 20 on Monday.

Well race report. Me and the OH travelled down to my sons as he lives about 15 mins away from the start line image he was supposed to be playing football but it was cancelled so he and the grandaughter came to watch as well.this was a 10k trail race and I wasn't going for a PB or even push that hard, 244 people had turned up and I always seem to feel a bit intimidated by all the young fit looking people. Anyway after registration and feeding some sheep I got a warm up mile in before toeing the line. The gun went off and the race started after the initial rush which was up hill at the mile mark on my Garmin I counted only 13 people in front of me so I took the foot off the pedal a bit and settled down. Over the next four miles there where a few hills one which was done twice and after the second climb up this hill I was in 10th place with two young lads in front of me I managed to chase one down and drop him as I went past up a little climb image however I ran out of trail and as the finish line approached I ran out of time to run the other one down. So I came in 9th overall and 1st over 50 male vet image and ??25 better off. Time 38:40 so a good day all round some good tempo running off road and an age group win image second half of the day was hard as after a shower at my son and daughter in laws I supported my OH in her hobby shopping........
  • Forgot 22 miles easy tomorrow image
  • Tek, glad you got through the 9 miler with no issues,

SM6, the walk seems to have done you some good, enjoy the 20 on Monday,

NP, great race report, well done on the age group winimage, I admire your stamina, racing and shopping in one day. Enjoy the 22 tomorrow

I forgot to mention I partook in my first body balance class last night after my interval session and I actually enjoyed it, I'm definitely going to the class more regularly.
  • Just got in from work , will have an early night then get up early do my 21 then go back to bed and try to sleep a few hours before tomorrows night shift image

Fiona , I am evious you got the 22 done and dusted today, well done  and in company, I was meant to be running 16 of my 21 with my brother tomorrow but he has a stomach bug so cant run, looks like a lonely one for me image I dont really mind once I get going,

Stewart nice interval session and with the mile warm up and cool down the miles add up dont they, I too am going to a body balance class next week with a friend for the first time, glad you enjoyed yours 

Tek nice 9 miler, oh talking of the race list can you add me in for Abingdon marathon 20th Oct, I entered it last night ( why why why ???)image I just couldn't help it

MG1 I would think you would easily go under 3.45 with splits like that for a long run that leaves you feeling fresh , do you use a HRM ? that's the best way to tell if you running to fast or not as Tek says don't run too close to race pace

SM6 funny how you think 31 is old lol..you must be about 15 then...image

NP fab racing good for you ..nice to get some cash too, don't you just live running past those youngsters, bet they hate it..how nice to make it a family day too

• 10.3 miles today, partly minor roads, partly farm tracks
    Brief swim with water temp at 4°C (main problem was getting in to deep enough water to swim as tide was out)

Tek hope you enjoyed your 9 miles

Teknik wrote (see)
    I've found hopefully a more stable place for the race list...click here http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=53497

- only if you're a signed up Fetchie image

AGF - where are you just now?

FionaC - good to get a 22 in image- just figuring out when I can squeeze a 20+ in daylight hoursimage

NN hope your long run goes to plan tomorrow, you too NP

LOL at SM6's concept of old age!!

MG1 looks like your 22.5 went well image

• Evening all. 

Aiming to run the Endure 24 again in June and have challenged myself to run 2013km before the end of the year, currently on 120km.

Not really a long distance runner (typically run 10-15km), but hoping to do at least a HM at some point later in the year also. Will be keeping in touch to read about training plans and advice scattered on here.

SD

• NP - Great racing image

OH - Nice run, I'm shivering just thinking about your swim however!

NN - Haha, I think you and OH have misunderstood me a bit!image I actually meant that for me to be running a 1.35 half at 31, I'd only have needed to improve my time by about 4 seconds per year, which I wouldn't be too happy withimage

• NN, wouldn't say that I felt totally fresh but felt okay though to continue at a similar pace, I have a HRM but haven't used it for long time, will try to slow the next long run down, next weekend is the Hell Runner race so that will be good for strength and stamina
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

Well done on the prize.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.  Thanks for the comments I'm starting to sort out my training plan which looks like it's going to be a 8 week 10k done on a loop or after I've done the first run thru may keep repeating the last 4 weeks.  I'll decide what to do after this week providing I can get out 3 times for a couple of miles each time.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

(Young) Stuart image- sorry the run didn't go well. Good luck for the LSR tomorrow.

MG - first time average male conversion for the Half to Mara is 2.29x, so 3:45 looks sensible with some training gains...you might be quicker, but better to start off steady and see how you feel at mile 20...

NP nice report, great race and well done on the M50 winimage. Hope the 22m went ok...

NN Abo added. Hope the long run was ok this morning

OH well done on the 10 miler and swim. Blast - I didn't realise you needed to sign in to see stuff on Fetch. I'll keep the Skydrive up too, but it keeps crashing...you could always join Fetch...image

sd_28 welcome to the thread

HM good luck with the planimage

---

1m warm up then 7m race with the club on a hilly road course.  Very pleased with my 7.24 mm pace, without the HR exploding.image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

oops end of the week...

67m av 9.08mm av HR 72% max.

• Tek LOVELY pace for that race..image. nice weekly miles well done and nice low HR

SM6 maybe not such a tough challenge then...lol 

MG1 your pace and target time are similar to mine I am aiming for under 3.40 I have learned to start nice and easy and wear a HRM trying to keep around 70-75% letting it go up a bit towards 77-80 at the end to pick up the pace, and manage to finish feeling nice and strong

this was todays 21

Felt great today..wasnt really looking forward to running on my own but it is much easier to control pace..
    9.30..9.32..9.37..9.31..9.13..9.05..9.15..9.03..9.04..9.02 .8.56..9.04..8.44..8.49..8.58..8.46..8.52..8.55..8.48..8.50...8.47
    AVE HR 72.7 %

Well I am off back to bed now...some of us have to work tonight image

• HM - Sounds like a good idea. Good luckimage

Tek - Nice running, good pace.

NN - Great running, and nice low HR too. Well doneimage

---------

9.34 miles for me this morning, 8.42 ave. Got a bit excited from about 5 miles, and ran a bit faster than I really should have. A couple of sub 8s into the wind at the end was not what I had originally planned. Still, felt good, legs were ok tooimage

Gym later and 20 tomorrow, which I'm not really looking forward too as it's supposedly going to be a bit wild here.

• OH, another good run and swim, that some chilly water, big toe would be enough for me

HM4, hopefully you'll start to get out more and more and things will start to come together

Tek, well done with the race and a cracking pace, I got near that pace during my interval session and I was blowing out one! good stats for the week too image

NN, enjoy the rest after todays effort well done

SM6, another good run well done, hope the 20 goes well.

With it being Sunday, it's long run day for me I've been planning to do this route for a while and I new it was going to be a brute. 1,179ft of elvation gain in total over the 17 mile route, it was very windy today and the rain was heavy at times, with all the hill work today the HR was very difficult to control and for the run was 80%, way too high for a LSR. A distance PB for me, so I've got to be happy with that image

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/269132905

• Good running StewartC sounds challenging

Impressive 21 NN

Tek "... on a hilly road course.  Very pleased with my 7.24 mm pace ... " rightly so

HM4 - keep plodding at it.

SM6 Hope 20 miler goes well tomorrow

Just 3 miles today for me (between the squalls)
    ... That's another squall just coming through

• SD28 Welcome.

HM4 Nice to have a plan and a reason to get up and out and runimage

Teknik well done on the club race and 67 miles for the weekimage

NN Great 21 miles run with the second half faster than the firstimage like you I went back to bed for a couple of hoursimage.

SM6 nice running it's always nice to be able to pick up the pace a little, enjoy your 20 tomorrow.

SC Nice hill running, miles and time on feet well done.image

OH did you also swim between the squalls?

Woke to the sound of rain and wind again this morning but after breakfast the rain had stopped and the wind had dropped a little, ran with the wind to my back for a few miles before turning into it. At mile 9 I met a guy who ran 2:56 in Dublin and he joined me for the next 13 and a bit miles which was nice as I also picked up my mate who is just back from holiday and is well tanned but suffering in the cold, he should of been here last week or the week before lolimage so 22 miles D&D and in the VLM bank.

Any sign of Jason image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done on everyone's training.  I got out for 2 miles this morning.