How to make gravy?

Just got a cracking piece of beef for Boxing Day and really, really don't want to spoil it with instant gravy. I'm a pretty good cook (and modest with it!) but one thing that foils me every time is gravy. Every time I try it ends up flavourless, lumpy and yet runny at the same time.

So who's got a fool proof recipe for gravy?

(hopeful) Higs

Comments

• higs - you can but freshly prepared gravy these days in tubs - get back to the supermarket!!

• take meat out when its cooked and leave it covered to rest.

meat juices and fat in pan - skim fat from top so there is only maybe a tablespoon left but leave all the juices in.

add 1-2 tablespoons of plain flour (depends on how many you much gravy you want) roughly 1 tbsp per 1/2 pint finished gravy.

mix in the flour using a wooden spoon then cook on hob for 5 mins - keep stirring so it doesn't stick

add beef stock a bit at a time (i use oxo cubes for stock) - mixing after you add each bit till there's no lumps. change to a whisk once it gets difficult to mix with a spoon.

add enough stock so that is a bit runnier than you like your gravy. once you've added enough keep cooking on medium hob (and keep stirring) until its the right consistency.

possible flavourings...
    i like red wine added with the beef stock
    or some fresh herbs mixed into the beef stock when you make it - you'll need to sieve them out at the end though

• that should say depends on how much gravy you want!
  • Sorry Higs, mine always comes out of a tin marked Bisto.
    My mum used to use Bisto powder, mixed in the bowl she had made the yorkshire pud in, and also she added the juices from the joint, if I remember correctly.
    That was tasty
  • stick an onion or two under your beef when roasting so that it caramelises - this will add flavour/colour to yr gravy & use all the crunchy black bits in the roasting pan from the meat (pouring off all but a little of the meat fat), use veggie stock from boiling veggies to dissolve all your crunchy black bits in and boil boil boil the liquid like mad so it reduces to concentrate the flavour - and add red wine finish off! If you're thickening it with flour (rather than having a "jus"), shake your flour in a container with cold water to dissolve any lumps before adding to the gravy very very slowly, stirring all the time.
  • if still in doubt there is always delia
  • MM ✭✭✭
    onion in roasting pan while the roast is roasting - then remove the roast, skim the excess fat off and add some boiling water and a stock cube. Thicken with some diluted cornflour and if it still needs a bit more flavour - a teaspoon of marmite does the trick. Strain through a sieve and bingo. My mum has taught me well!!
  • i just luv delia - she may not be the most exciting or trendy person in the world, but her stuff never fails (crucial for a kitchen deadleg like me who loves her nosh!)
  • Can I come round to yours on Thursday please M?

Agree about stirring the flour in first - thoroughly! Can't say I've ever made gravy but it's essential for white sauce.