Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• Very windy here just now Mike.

Great running, it sounds fantastic !
  • hmmm warm weather training lovely image

RR, by that stage I will have my eyes closed and teeth gritted

• Nice running and appreciate the kind thoughts guys. We had a very feisty meeting yesterday which turned out to be another consultation meeting. The woman bless her who came from Monmouth in South Wales took four and a half hours to get to Bakewell so was very late, she went via Manchester airport.................anyway she asked us how to get home again!!! The Dutch boss on the other end of the phone took offense at my views and said the words " decision made" which then caused the HR woman to reach across to the phone and say I dont think you said decision did you Joss.......I gave up with giving my viewpoint as felt it was a foregone conclusion.
    Nice link Choisty but out of date now..........sending out the CV here and there and see what happens on Monday. Just done 412,000 GBP in sales at 40 percent in January the highest ever month we have had. But the two of us are being offered redundancy, they can manage it all from Holland. Will be interesting to see how!
    Running wise, not feeling 100 percent with some disturbed nights so mileage gone down and felt exhausted. Hopefully if the thing is concluded next week I can move on and get running, only did 24 miles all last week and this week only on about 11 so far.  Going to miss the commute to work.......got an interview on Monday out of the first lot of CVs I have sent out.image

• mcs - an interview is a very positive start and even if it comes to nothing it will get you back into the swing of applying for jobs - like Choisty, i was made R in my first two jobs after graduating cos they closed the offices i was working in but that resulted in me getting a great job in my early 30's with the firm i stayed with until retiring and it was a much better career than either of the first two firms could have given me so things can work out OK.  I know you prob can't see that right now but something good will come up cos you sound determined to sort things out.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the interview mark! You got one quick, so your skills must be in demand. Try to stay positive, despite the obvious stress.

I've been given the big R notice twice and both times it has resulted in something better and more interesting. Met my wife the second time too, so that was a bonus.
  • Interview already is great mcs!

• Just done a 46 minute 10k up the trail with a strong head wind out for the first half then a nice tail wind coming back, so very happy as it was tough for the head which kept wanting me to pull up for some reason. Had a good chat with the CHIMP and told it it could have a sandwich when I got back to the office. Seemed to appease him and we made it back in one piece and five miles under 8 mins so pleased.  Got another interview with an old printing colleague so thinks looking up.........appreciate the comments thanks chaps have a great day yourselves.image

• Abingdon Marathon entry now open - filled up in 3 weeks last year.  I have just entered.

Will not be online for a couple weeks now as packing for holiday (diving in the Indian Ocean).

Welcome back Sleepy.

• Oscarr, I wish you hadn't said that...hmmm...Abingdon

MCS, this are on the up, remember to forget about the current job an concentrate on you

Last night was a proper session 10 x 800m (in 2.33 - 2.39) with 2min jog recovery my legs woke me up about 4 or 5 times in the night to complain

• Nice running there Choisty.........speedy boy!!! Have a good weekend everyone I am on another consultation meeting Monday but they are not coming to see us, just daft as the big boss in Holland has said they are not going to change their minds......and yet we are in consultation............crazy.......any weekend is here suspect I might be out of here early. 

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    I've just signed up for Abingdon! Hoping that my back is better soon, been signed off work for two weeks...
  • Yo all!

Will type up a trip report over the weekend but first and foremost...  Watch out world - here comes Mark... I'm with the guys - these things usually have silver linings.  I too have heard the R word and it worked out for the best!  I have one of those nice feelings that it's all gonna work out just fine for you (glad to hear it's not just Ben that's talking to his inner monkey these days).

reiki - don't freak about your BF % - your result is healthy (for us lady creatures over 30, 22 - 35% is ideal - also see 2nd page of body fat range)

Have a great jolly oscarr image

• Hi SB, can't wait to hear all about it. Thanks for the chart! 

Am not entering Abingdon after all due to the clash with York! 

Choisty my 800s take exactly a minute longer. 

Nice bit of tempo for me this morning, followed by Tui Na for 75 mins including killer neck focus, ame out of there floating, legs like silk. 

• Nice steady 17 mile LSR done this afternoon to get some miles in the legs before i fly tomorrow.  Next run is Bramley 20mile race two weeks on sunday.  See you all in couple weeks as no internet access where i'm going.

• Oscarr, I will see you there BRamley is my next outing too

MCS, it the process not consultation, make sure you are looking after number 1 and forget about the job or doing any work, O and start negotiating your settlement, this bonus payments allowances etc being paid in full for your redunancy time plus notice, eg, if you have been there 5 years, 5 months bonus + 1 months notice bonus etc

After yester I was a shuffling wreck on the run today, 6 miles averaging 8min/mile bonked at mile 2 everything went hazy nearly ran into the canal!!! yesterday was a hard hard session

• I'm wondering if this is redundancy season / a redundancy forum. I was given notice of impending redundancy at work on Thursday. Told to take the afternoon off to get over the shock. I had today off as a holiday and they also told me to take Monday off. 1st time redundancy for me, but I'm reasonably positive that I'll get something at least as good as what I had.

Running wise, did a tough workout on Wednesday after running Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. My body is aching all over at the moment and am not sleeping well, but I hope to be better in the morning and to have a nice parkrun.

Re my junior parkrun project I had a good day for that today. I met up with the appropriate people at Reading and Wokingham councils. Reading couldn't help, but Wokingham couldn't be more positive / supportive! So, a junior parkrun will take place there soon enough - about the time I'll finish my job image I just need to confirm the date with parkrun HQ and to sort out a coach. Hopefully neither of those will be difficult. 
    Life is a funny thing sometimes! Not having any certainty post end March is messing up my planning for running as I don't know where I'm going to be based. 

• Oscarr have an awesome time! 

Wish I was doing Bramley now!

AC8 I hope you have information you can work with soon, and mcs I like Choisty's words on ensuring you are compensated to the max, oh and work?  Are they having a LAUGH!? 

• Watford tomorrow.  Somewhat worried, it has been a while, will be an interesting outing.  

• Good luck reiki - relax, enjoy - what will be, will be xxx

Now for those interested (I will try to keep it reasonably short) - a little trip report on Lanzarote.  For those of you who haven't been - it's a temperate island with an average temperature of 21 degrees all year round. It's about a 4hr flight from the UK and usefully they operate on the same time as us so no faffing round changing your watch!

Club La Santa is on the north west of the island - a 25 minute ride from the airport so all very easy and stress free to get there.  It is a sports complex owned by the Danish and has every sporting facility you could wish for from a running track, olympic pool, gym, diving centre to basketball, boxing ring, squash court, windsurfing, diving etc.  They run a wide-ranging regular programme of daily activities including low key races and competitions. 

The beauty of the place is that your accommodation fee covers participation in 99% of these (the odd thing attracts a seperate fee) including bike hire, class instruction, fitness tests and race entry.

You can even get a massage, physio assessment (these are extra) though I'd recommend you ask for an english speaking therapist - I had a very unnerving silent massage which was all very odd but effective in easing my hamstrings which were suffering from endless squats,lunges and one legged balances in the 14 classes we took part in.

Running independently leads to limited trails but if you go with no specific training plans you can take part in various social runs (daily from 5k to a half marathon race) which they pace at 5min/k - 6min/k.

• The classes we did were: pilates, pilates reformer, yoga (twice), barefoot training (twice), stretch and relax (twice), ultimate core, aqua jogging, Taji qigong, dynamic fusion, body conditioning (body pump) and fitball (swiss ball).

The end result - body fat down 0.6%, muscle mass up 0.9kg (and weight up a smidge too due to the banana split or two that I treated myself to).

The barefoot training was interesting - lots of toe and foot movement and ankle strengthening but I reckon they were all useful core work and when you're doing it outdoors in the sunshine it's all much less boring!  For the record - I am a useless aqua jogger - but it IS fun! I have a bit of a mutant ninja turtle vibe going on in water it seems - find it very hard to stay upright!

The accommodation is basic but you don't care when you're shattered and they have everything you need on site from restaurants to a supermarket, sports shop and evening entertainment.

For more info and pics :  http://www.clublasanta.co.uk/

Would I go back?  Yes to take part in a challenge/training camp/race. For a holiday - probably not - we both felt like we've ticked it off and are now fancying nordic skiing next winter! Really enjoyed a quick sun boost though!

Build up time for me now - cardio training time this week was 5½ hours.  Next week - 6¼, then upto just under 7 for two weeks before I have a rest week and then ultra training begins in earnest with an 8 hour week.  Feeling fresh and ready to get stuck in after my winter break I have to say - hope all the conditioning is gonna help keep me on my feet! image

• Thanks for that SB what would it be like for kids? Lanzarote is great for running in my experience including running through the middle of a volcano!

The end of this week and a 21M ticked off to make it 96 for the week legs are looking forward to a rest day tomorrow
  • Hey Choisty - there were plenty of kids there last week and they have kids "Play Time" activities for ages 3-12 (I think) though they stress that it's not a babysitting service so I guess that means a parent has to go too. Last week they did baking, a family beach and surf day, an Olympic day, a Treasure hunt and they did a little show thing.  They have all sorts of other stuff going on too and a pretty cool soft-obstacle course type play area. The restaurants all cater for kids and little littleys (under 4) eat free in one of them (a buffet type place which had some amazing seafood salads).

I personally prefer a small town called Famara (if you know it?) just north of La Santa - you can run much further off road along the coast there but CLS is great if you want to do a whole mix of stuff that you wouldn't otherwise have access to. And there are a lot of English speaking staff which helps if your Spanish isn't too good.

Nice mileage btw!

• Great report SB - I'd love that place, Qi Gong is one of my faves. 

• Oxford Mail XC race day - Rd 4/5 on a hilly, slippery and very muddy course in Swindon. 5m at race pace with my HR knocking on the red line all the way round and my quads exploding on the hills...real XC as a marshall shouted out as we stumbled past him on the final lap. Pacing good though as I picked up at least 5 scalps in the last 800metres or so and finished 6th in our team.

Then, mindful of the need to pack in 18m for the day, I returned home, quick shower, bowl of soup and a lump of bread and after an hour or so went out for a tempo session of 11 miles in the lanes. Managed 3x1m @ MP interspersed with 3x1m at MP + 1min in between. A couple of these were in fact close to HMP which I was pleased with after the mileage in my legs this week......

OK so not quite 18m on the day but I did parkrun and a second lap as a shakedown on Saturday and ended the week with 53m in the legs, so enough!

Sports massage first thing tomorrow then a slight cut-back week leading into Wokingham HM next Sunday

• Awesome Mike, Wokingham is going to be fab with all this varied exposure.

I had a 2:45 course PB at Watford yesterday, and was only 4 secs outside my distance PB!

Those hills were evil, legs were loose, felt great throughout and not a squeak from foot!
  • whoop whoop guys - nice work!!!! imageimageimage

• Nice running guys and great to see this thread getting back to running topics and not the R word. Comisserations to you AC rubbish aint it and a shock too.

Had an interview today went great at the top of the Monsal Trail near Buxton was going great till they mentioned the cash they are paying, ouch!! But would be a nice commute again!! Any way got another one on Wednesday half an hour away so not too bad...........Redundancy notice letter being delivered by the Dutch boss on Thursday am and told I dont have to work my three months notice period so thats a bonus.  Running tomorrow and did a steady 8 miles yesterday which wasnt too bad. The head is struggling at the moment but hopefully after Thursday will be able to sort my head out a bit more. image

• Sports massage - the agony & the.......agony.

That was a toughie but serves me right for putting it off for so long! Monday is always a rest day for me so I can switch off for 24 hrs and just glance at the weather forecast without trying to work out whether to run at dawn or dusk.

Bliss.....while I sit here I'm recovering and getting fitter.....

• MCS, good to get the practice if nothing else from the interview, enjoy the running while you can.

I'm interested to here how things go at wokingham, I've never done it and hear it's quick