Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Brer I have the opposite experience in that I'm 'English' watching in Wales! (prefer to think of myself as British or honorary Welsh having lived here majority of my life now) Though in my defence I never really supported England before moving to Wales, and most definitely haven't sinceimage
  • Panad - also "English" but have lived in Scotland longer than anywhere else. I no longer identify with England - even today when we (Scotland) got hammered by England.
  • lol - most of my family are Scottish, my Dad was Blackpool born and bred, I was born in New Zealand and I'm a Welsh speaker who has lived most of his life in Wales!! That said I think rugby is a stupid game, although I love the atmosphere at rugby internationals - so much better and friendlier than at football internationals

• jenf wrote (see)

I'm very happy to have broken the100miles this month and feeling good.

THANK GOD, I was beginning to thin that everyone else on this thread was knocking off my monthly milage every 3-4 days!

I'm building myself up for a 1/2 Marathon in March (Brentwood) and then the Halstead Marathon in May, it's the first time I've introduced speedwork into my training rather than just building up the distance and so far so good.

• Hi all

Yep poor show from the Welsh boysimage Welsh born and bred yet put to shame by panad and JB who both speak fluent welsh to my broken!!

18 hilly miles today 8:03 av pace, not sure how I managed that!! Seem to be getting quicker lately must be doing something right image

• Yorkshire born and bred - nothing more to say (what's rugby union, anyway? image).

Charnwood Hills Race today - 14 miles of mud, hills, trails and hilarity image  I'm sure these races are harder for us slow runners - the mud's much muddier for starters!  Fell flat on my face in front of some bemused dog walkers, skidded around like someone from Dancing on Ice and generally had a great time .... still running out when the front runners were coming in, but hey, someone's got to come in at the back image  Brer - you'd love this race ... check it out at Bowline Climbing Club image.

• TR40..I only lived in Wales until I was 6 months old but still speak Welsh fluently..all be it with a Midlands accentimage Good going today boyo!

SD, that does indeed sound fab..will defo look out for it next year. Me, just a boring, uneventful 10 miles in murky weather.

Everyone else trotting along nicely now then as the weather is a bit kinder.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Kandinsky, I'm doing a half early march too and have been trying to work on speed... but I'm finding it tough. I reckon I don't have any fast twitch muscles image

brer rabbit wrote (s

Everyone else trotting along nicely now then as the weather is a bit kinder.

Haha, I was actually dancing along today for 12 miles to some really cheesie rock songs!!

• Jenf lol have a few cheesie rock songs on my playlist!! image
  • LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

2 shoddy training weeks at the end of Jan (ice & snow and then snowed under at work) left me with a first monthly mileage of 110.  Not great but to be honest I will never get up to the epic numbers some others on here do, reckon 180 a month would be my limit!

Despite having an awful LSR today of 19.5 miles (avg pace 8.30, had nothing left and everything hurt at some point) things had been going well, new 8 mile PB (avg pace 6.50m/m) and parkrun couse PB yesterday.  Hoping this year might be the year I get the sub 3.15  time I have been hankering after for the last couple of years at VLM.  However, I have now entered the Loch Ness Marathon at the end of Sept as a backup plan!  So will wait and see how the limbs cope with 4 marathons in 2013.

Great running as usual on here guys, happy training this weekimage

• jenf wrote (see)

Haha, I was actually dancing along today for 12 miles to some really cheesie rock songs!!

Cheesie Rock Songs, forgotten dance anthems, dodgy 80's pop, and even the occassional bit of thrash metal all feature on my iPod shuffle so I really don't have any idea what's coming next!

But of course the real beauty is no one can just pick it up and start scrolling through and call me out on my guilty pleasures image

• K lol yours sounds very similar to mine image
  • LOL, how good does cheesy Nolan sisters 'Im in the mood for dancing' sound when you are faced with the final brutal uphill climb for home sound? Hardly ever have ipod on but for 20 milers, it does break up the monotony a bit. My fave thrash metal stuff  is always in standby..you can't beat a bit of Metallica/ AC/DC and Motorhead to get the gears upimage

Where's JD? Has he run to Mars??image

• Brer it's all coming out tonight right bunch of metal heads!! Metallica, AC/DC few of metal there's on mine image
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I think my 18 miles for January puts me at the bottom of the league.

• Jenf, Laudy - What parkrun's you do... My "home" is Valentines, Ilford. I'm a RD (run director - it's not a race, apparently!) but only RD'd once...

Kandinsky - Halstead is FAB - PB'd last May... Mrs Lemmy is doing it this year... Have fun in Brentwood... If you can stand it Orion 15 in Epping forest the day before is great training and Brentwood will be a doddle (LOL!!) Don't forget Essex 20 in a month, exactly like Halstead lots of flats with occasional hills... Are you in a local club?

Had a great running weekend, 16 around the parks of Ilford & Barking, including Valentine's parkrun... Raced the last half (1.5 miles) so on the run home I was properly pooped and slowed right down... It is Long SLOW Run for me at least... Mrs Lemmy went of to Hainault Forest for her 16...

Sunday did a local 5 recovery run then took Mrs Lemmy to South Essex XC in South Weald park Brentwood (banned from remaining XC this year due to me wankles... weak ankles)... Found a great place to watch the runners powering up a hill... Mrs Lemmy loves the mucky stuff... There was an Artisan bakery stand in the park & my two dogs both dived over and had a lick of the front row of the cakes & bread... I had no money... Ooops...

• LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Newport is my home run, I do occasionally indulge in a bit of parkrun tourism, but Newport is still the most friendly I have been to, although not the quickest!image

• Hey Lemmy, no club as yet but probably should get myself over to the Springfield Striders at some point as they're based less than a mile from my front door!

The Essex 20 is VERY tempting but also toying with the South Downs Marathon and trying to explain to the Mrs than race fees really are good value (and I REALLY do need another pair of trainers) image

Still trying to work out if it was you or the dogs that had  cheeky lick of the cakes at South Weald image

• Evening all! image

Sorry for my absence, but I haven't run at all since Friday except for a brief Parkrun cos I found out on Friday afternoon that I had an interview at 10 am THIS MORNING including a presentation and a panel interview! Pretty much took care of my weekend! Think it went well, but won't hear for a couple of days. Will read back, but only got about 3 hours sleep last night!....
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

That's five extra runs you've got to fit into Tuesday then, jason.

Good luck with the job application.

• Let us know how you get on JD...

K - Join them... It'll improve your running and the cammeraderraderraderraderie  will be great... Know a few to grunt at during races... Essex 20 is £12... Plus nice tech t-shirt... AND CAKE!!! image

Laudy... Don't want to argue, but most parkruns are friendly AFTER the run... everyone has race-face on beforehand!!! (though it's not a race, it's a run... image) Never get down to S.Wales, closest is in-laws in Gloucester...

8 miles tonight, start ramping up my mid-week tempo runs to marathon pace for VLM... aiming for 8min miles at the moment, see how training goes then may up it to 7:30/7:15... 7 is just too fast at the moment...

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Lemmy, ours is a new parkrun, 'going live' 23rd march, but we're having trial runs every Sat in the run up to that date, its at Llyn Llech Owen country park. I've met some really nice people so far, and the cafe makes a mean cake!

Good luck JD, hope you hear good news!

• Good luck JD image sure you will cath up with runsimage
  • Lemmy wrote (see)

K - Join them... It'll improve your running and the cammeraderraderraderraderie  will be great... Know a few to grunt at during races... Essex 20 is £12... Plus nice tech t-shirt... AND CAKE!!! image

Curse your Jedi mind tricks, you clearly know how to get my attention!

I'll have to make a late(ish) call on the Essex 20 as we've a lot on in the next few weeks including a family wedding the Friday before so may not be in the best place for a 20 miler! image

• LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭
    Lemmy wrote (see)

Laudy... Don't want to argue, but most parkruns are friendly AFTER the run... everyone has race-face on beforehand!!! (though it's not a race, it's a run... image) Never get down to S.Wales, closest is in-laws in Gloucester...

Totally agree Lemmy they are all great, had a fab run at every PR I have been to, with some great people.  I think Cheltenham are about to start a PR so you might be able to check that out next time your gloucester bound, or FoD (very muddy!!!).

Legs appear to be on strike at the mo hoping this is a temporary blipimage 

• Flying visit- I GOT THE JOB!!!!imageimageimage

Back running tomorrow- I've got a hilly half marathon on Sunday and will be nice to run it on fresh legsimageimage

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    congratulations jd that's brilliant!
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Well done JD image

and Happy Birthday to TR41imageimage
  • JD Well done image

Panad Thanks mateyimage

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Missed that subtle change of nickname.  Happy birthday TR image