Options

Soup Makers

The idea of chopping a few veg etc. and putting them in a soup maker and having hot soup ready when you come back from a run / walk sounds good.

Has anyone got one? Are they any good or just another 'gadget'?

If they are any good, does anyone have any recommendations please?

TIA

Kev

Comments

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Make soup the normal way, then re-heat it when you get in, while you're in the shower.

It's just another gadget, up there with sauce makers.

• Options

Agreed. Soup isn't very difficult to make. And in any case you're probably better off getting a pressure cooker rather than a gadget designed to only do one thing.

• Options

I'm with the others ... its just something else that will sit in the back of your cuboard after a while

• Options

soup maker no. slow cooker YES. great invention.

• Options

Soup is so easy to make I can't see the need for a gadget to make it for you.

• Options

Sounds like the most pointless gadget ever. Soup is already stupidly simple to make.

• Options

I don't think the OP was asking if soup is hard to make. I think he was asking if anyone has one of these devices that (here's the important bit) you put the stuff in, switch on and then it makes the soup while you're out doing something else.image

Edit: I didn't know these things existed so had a look on Amazon. Apparently they make yer soup in half an hour - that's not even a warmup let alone a decent run.

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

Doesn't soup come in a tin any more? It did back when I was a tadpole.

• Options

hmmmmmm - interesting. I'd never heard of a soup maker and my first thought was along with everyone else, a waste of money and space. But I've just googled and I have to say the morphy richards one look quite good and has some rave reviews. Yes you can easily make soup in a pan, but if you want it smooth you then have to transfer to a blender, and you can't leave the pan to cook so I can see advantages to this. A slow cooker wouldn't be the same because you'd still have to blend depending on what kind of soup you wanted, and I tend to prefer blended ones.  Not cheap but I'm tempted. image

• Options
    the dude abides wrote (see)

soup maker no. slow cooker YES. great invention.

Absolutely!

But yes, get yourself a good quality soup and heat it up - less washing up, no prep and you don't have to find somewhere to put a soup maker when you're not using it.

• Options
    Exactly Muttley. My thought was it would be convieniant to just check everything in one go and then go out and run or walk the dogs or ferry the kids to / from activities rather than having to stand and stir and add bits? When you are back dinner is done.

We already have soup 1 or 2 nights a week so are pretty adept at making.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Soup Dragon wrote (see)

Yes you can easily make soup in a pan, but if you want it smooth you then have to transfer to a blender...

Get a wand blender, then you can blend it still in the pan.

• Options

Best soup gadget I ever saw is a pan, the soup maker will no doubt end up with the sandwich toaster and George Foreman grill

• Options

Yes, we weren't saying the OP was finding soup-making too challenging, more that the soup-maker would take up more space than its usefulness would justify, and you could have just made the soup in advance, I use a stick blender too -- less cupboard space and also useful for other things like hummus.

• Options

If he makes soup 1 to 2 times a week already then possibly it wouldn't end up with all the *other* gadgets and I'd say most kitchens would have the cupboard space.

• Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)
    Soup Dragon wrote (see)

Yes you can easily make soup in a pan, but if you want it smooth you then have to transfer to a blender...

Wilkie wrote (see)
    Soup Dragon wrote (see)

genius. Ta Wilkie. Soup maker crossed off want list. image

I feel some shame that at as soup dragon I don't have a wand blender and instead faff about slopping from pan to blender. image image

• Options

The good thing about the wand blenders is that you can decorate your kitchen wall at the same time. Don't ask me how I know this.

• Options

I seem to have a stutter. image Obviously the shock of updating the soup wells. 

• Options

*takes wand blender off list and decides to stick with blender*  Contentment remains in the Soup cave. Thing is, most soups don't have to cook for 30 mins anyway, just prepare stuff in advance and put in pan while in shower. I get so seduced with gadgets. 

• Options

I hardly ever puree soup - I prefer broths with bits in.

• Options

+1 for the wand blender if you like smooth soups/sauces and don't want the extra washing up of using a jug blender.

Can't advise on a soup maker tho!

• Options
    What's wrong with you all. Just get a tin opener. Sorted!
  • Options
    Muttley wrote (see)

The good thing about the wand blenders is that you can decorate your kitchen wall at the same time. Don't ask me how I know this.

I know it because of spinach soup. It was very green. From this I also learnt that it's a good idea to submerge the blendy part before you turn it on.

• Options
    Cinders wrote (see)

If he makes soup 1 to 2 times a week already then possibly it wouldn't end up with all the *other* gadgets and I'd say most kitchens would have the cupboard space.

Mine doesn't, it's too small.

But yes, hand blenders do the job just fine and you can bung them in a drawer. AND you can make smoothies and milkshakes with them image

• Options

The wife is a great soup maker but not sure if they are sold in shops though......image

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

and I am sure she can probably do more than make soup.

• Options
  • Options

I've seen versions of the complicated multi-gadget blender things (like Kenwood Chef) that also have a cook function so you can heat soup/sauces etc as you blend them. But those are nearly double the price image 

I've got a wand blender which is fine but it's so noisy, sounds like I'm mixing concrete not blending soup!

• Options
    xine267 wrote (see)

I've seen versions of the complicated multi-gadget blender things (like Kenwood Chef) that also have a cook function so you can heat soup/sauces etc as you blend them. But those are nearly double the price image 

I've got a wand blender which is fine but it's so noisy, sounds like I'm mixing concrete not blending soup!

I hope mine never breaks down because it only has one head and it's really simple and compact. All the newer ones have all sorts of bits and pieces on I'll never use.