Are you running 500 miles this year?

During 2013 it's my aim to run at least 500 miles for the first time. I've decided that I'd set up a blog and run to raise funds for Cancer Research UK.

In the first month the respsonse has been great, I've received a lot of tweets and sponsors and things are certainly going well. Today I hit 51 miles so I'm certainly on track image

I decided to open a Just Giving team for anyone else that would like to join in this challenge of running either 500 miles in 2013 or 500 miles from the date you start. You can raise money for any charity you wish and our overall goal is £10,000. If you'd like to join then just visit our Just Giving Team page and join us: http://www.justgiving.com/teams/iWouldRun500Miles

All you need is some way to track the distance you've run, for that I'm using a Garmin Forerunner 410 but there are cheaper optinons out there like the Nike+ Sportband or even iPhone app might do the job image

Comments

• Another one-post wonder plugging his blog and waving his begging bowl.

I'll have run 500 miles by the end of next month, actually.

But thanks for the tips about the Garmin and Nike+.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm with Muttley on this one. 500 miles in a year is hardly Hardcore running it's only around 10 miles a week

If I'm going to put my hand in my pocket it will need a bit more effort than this.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I agree with Muttley.

I get fed up with the people whose only posts are to advertise their blogs.  They don't join in on the forum, they just drop in to use it for advertising.

500 miles in a year is not worth writing home about, either!

• "I would run 500 miles".  WTF?  You would run 500 miles if what condition was met?  Seems a bit non-committal to me.

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
     ............. god I have to be careful not to offend anyoneimage

...lucky you've got such a conciliatory manner then! image

• Thanks for the support guys image Where to start ... firstly I have family suffering from cancer at the moment so I thought this would be a nice thing to do because it's something that means a lot to me.

With regards to "one hit wonder" everyone has to start somewhere, I'm actually a manging director of my own web company so I'm pretty sure you can rely on me to be "active" in the forums, unlike most who forget about accounts I use bookmarks, but thanks for judging I guess.

Muttley - It's not a blog? It's a JustGiving page. 500 miles in one month? Is that not pushing it a bit? I'd be concerned about developing osteitis pubis in later life with that sort of distance.

I had a knee injury for 8 months last year so 500 miles may not be a lot to you or "worth shouting from the mountains" about but at least I'm trying to get back into running.

Intermanaut - The title "iWouldRun500Miles" is a play on the famous Proclaimers song "I would walk 500 miles", it's conjoined into one word to easier hashtag as my challenge is mostly web based.

Anyone else?

At least we know why this worlds not a happy place with quick to judge and shout their mouth off people, but yeh thanks for the support. Maybe if you gave me a chance you'd learn a thing or two, possibly manners? I personally believe in karma, sucks to be you.

Lastly I didn't ask you to sponsor, I asked you to consider joining our team so you could raise sponsorship for a cause close to you.

David Falconer 3 - That web address gives a 404, you must have noted it down incorrectly? oh no it was a joke, my mistake.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    thorpe89 wrote (see)

Thanks for the support guys image Where to start ... firstly I have family suffering from cancer at the moment so I thought this would be a nice thing to do because it's something that means a lot to me.

With regards to "one hit wonder" everyone has to start somewhere, I'm actually a manging director of my own web company so I'm pretty sure you can rely on me to be "active" in the forums, unlike most who forget about accounts I use bookmarks, but thanks for judging I guess.

Muttley - It's not a blog? It's a JustGiving page. 500 miles in one month? Is that not pushing it a bit? I'd be concerned about developing osteitis pubis in later life with that sort of distance.

I had a knee injury for 8 months last year so 500 miles may not be a lot to you or "worth shouting from the mountains" about but at least I'm trying to get back into running.

Intermanaut - The title "iWouldRun500Miles" is a play on the famous Proclaimers song "I would walk 500 miles", it's conjoined into one word to easier hashtag as my challenge is mostly web based.

Anyone else?

At least we know why this worlds not a happy place with quick to judge and shout their mouth off people, but yeh thanks for the support. Maybe if you gave me a chance you'd learn a thing or two, possibly manners? I personally believe in karma, sucks to be you.

Lastly I didn't ask you to sponsor, I asked you to consider joining our team so you could raise sponsorship for a cause close to you.

David Falconer 3 - That web address gives a 404, you must have noted it down incorrectly? oh no it was a joke, my mistake.

That's a forum for you.

If you leave a quantity of gaps in your narrative then people will fill them in with something.

🙂

• thorpe89 wrote (see)

Thanks for the support guys image Where to start ... firstly I have family suffering from cancer at the moment so I thought this would be a nice thing to do because it's something that means a lot to me.

Anyone else?

David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

i want to know what literatin said lol

nothing too exciting! It was a mildly amusing rejoinder to the last line of the OP's rant, but then he kept editing it and adding bits.

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    Wilkie wrote (see)

I agree with Muttley.

I get fed up with the people whose only posts are to advertise their blogs.  They don't join in on the forum, they just drop in to use it for advertising.

500 miles in a year is not worth writing home about, either!

oh my god and Wilkie as well ............. god I have to be careful not to offend anyoneimage

Sorry, Been out of internet all weekend (bliss)...  went over 150 miles for the year already, So as the others said hardly a challenge, although if he was to swim 500 miles in the year.................

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    thorpe89 wrote (see)

During 2013 it's my aim to run at least 500 miles for the first time. I've decided that I'd set up a blog and run to raise funds for Cancer Research UK.

thorpe89 wrote (see)

Muttley - It's not a blog? It's a JustGiving page. 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Thorpe, Muttley said he would be up to 500 miles by the end of next month (March)

500 miles in 13 weeks is about 38 a week. Hardly overdoing it for a reasonably serious runner.

If you had included the information you gave in your second post in your original post then you may not have received the responses you got.

Good luck with your challenge.