Options

People keep telling me to give up!!!

Comments

• Options
    Only just started posting on here, but as far as I can work out from reading around, Jo Hauge 2 (if I've got that right) is a fake account set up by David Falconer 3 for entertainment.

Or have I overstepped....?
  • Options
  • Options
    Okay, overstepped.
  • Options
    Ah, fair point!image

I, on the other hand, have an inability to take myself - or anyone else - very seriously. Which of-course falls down with all you serious runners (compared to my pathetic attempts!).
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Marathon virgin then. You won't be if you take this one on. After eight and a half hours you'll be well and truly f...  !

🙂

• Options
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

. Unfortunately thats once less place for someone else to run the VLM. Charming.

The OP was running for Scope, who, according to their website, still have charity places available David - so maybe you could take up the challenge rather than crticise others who at least attempt it?? image

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    David -- Even if you don't work in an office, as many people don't, you can create a Just Giving page and post the link on your various social networking sites. I'm sure the money would come rolling in quicker than you think. Surely it would be better to at least give it ago rather than make excuses for not trying.
  • Options
    Don't take up the commitment if you're not up to it. But the charity can't hold you liable for the difference.
  • Options

@cougie - yes, they can.  Part of taking on a charity place could be the contractual obligation to meet their minimum funding requirement.

• Options
    No they can't.

That would be selling the place for a guaranteed amount. And that would incur tax as its not a donation.
  • Options

Tell you what, DF3, I'll donate a fiver if you do it. That nice man who was only asking for £700 might still be looking for runners.

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    David -- Do you have a mobile phone and/or email? You could text and/or email out a Just Giving link. Given a couple of months I really can't believe that it would be too difficult to raise two grand... Having said that I've never done it (no interest in charity events) and each to his own image
  • Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    DF3 -- If you do it I'll also donate a fiver.
  • Options

Taxi Driver - as you've never tried to raise £2,000, you have no can make no valid argument for how easy or difficult it could be.  However, here's a clue: it's difficult.  To raise that sort of money you need good corporate backing.

@cougie - so you're saying they can, then.

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Intermanaut -- For sure there's no substitute for experience, however, I know several people, none of whom work in an office, that have done it. Anyway, David's raised a tenner already and he hasn't even signed up yet image
  • Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    David -- What's the betting that next year you get in via the ballot? image
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    RicF wrote (see)

You won't be if you take this one on. After eight and a half hours you'll be well and truly f...  !

Funnily enough RicF said the same thing to his wife last night!

Indeed, after eight and a half hours of eating (slow runners in the VLM need to keep up the calories) you'll be well and truly fed!

🙂

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    If I was only ever going to run one marathon I think it would be the Neolithic Marathon as I think I'd really enjoy running between Avebury and Stonehenge... Those big charidee events have never appealed to me but it's each to his own I guess.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

As I understand it on the charity/pledge thing, if the charity 'sells' the place for a guaranteed sum (say, £1,000), then the £1,000 is not a donation so it's taxable.

So, if you sign a contract agreeing to give them £1,000 for their marathon place, you are bound by it, and they could pursue you through small claims court of some such for the money, but they would have to pay tax on it (and probably incur some negative publicity along the way).

The wording of the contract may be a bit more ambiguous, though, in order to get round the selling issue.  Then the contact is less likely to be enforceable, too.