Asics training starts now...!!

Comments

• Thanks Ruth for the guidance on the gels. I have used water based gels in the past for half marathons but over the last year have stuck with putting electrolytes in my water as this was sufficient for that distance.  Is it ok to start taking the gels from about 1 hour in to marathon if I have taken one before the start? I plan on having my normal electrolyte in water too on the actual day.  I'll take a look for some of these gel options this weekend as I do my long run. Thanks again.

• Hey Brian......I didnt know I could be faster than anyone!!!...bit of a plodder me!!!.....You should try Sams speed sessions.....they are killers but really good!!!!.....( cant believe I just said that!..) ......You should go for Paris next year!!!.....would be amazing...then I could follow your blog!!!image

Hi Sarah...thats amazing!!!....you must come and say hello in paris!!!!.....as for gels!!!....yuck!!!....I have had to train myself to accept these.....I was really disapointed when I took my first one as I thought it was going to be a really cool sweet or something....but was probably the most revolting thing I ever experienced!!!...( not that Im a drama queen or anything!!) ......I have found through trial and error.....( but as Ruth says its very personal!)....gu energy gel blackberry x2 caffine.....but you have to almost eat it its so thick so be preapred for your mouth to stick together...( no smiling, could be a very unpleasant experience for others!...!!!)...and another favourite which isnt so thick is torq gel with guarana, fruits of the forrest flavour. Ruth will probably tell me off now for bad choices....I am about to run these by her so be prepared !!!.....image.....good luck and let me know how you get on.....its all so totally new to me Im up for any hints tips and advice!!!!....please!!!!image

• Ady - I cant believe you gave our secret away scoffing a big bag of liquorish all sorts on the way home..!!!!.....image....And yes 7 am was dedication this weekend I have to admit!!!....and I will of course pass any tips your way reference Comrades!!!!image....Looking forward to Sunday!!!....wahhhh...no pressure!!

Possum Hopper......Yeh come and say hello if you see me!!!....Ill be the one in the big pink 'MEL'  Tshirt.....I ran the course last year with martin.....but he had a big verbal stick the whole way round so not sure how I will fair this time.....I have a friend who is going to pace me....she said she wanted a slow run!!!!......image...speedy people....grrrr....!!!!!....As Sam has very kindly posted...Im looking for a sub 53.....so thats it...its public now and Im feeling really pressured!!!!!.....image......Hope to see you there!!!!!......image

• Hi Ruth.....!

I am feeling a lot more confident now if there are no trees in Paris....image.but will definitely practice my fluid regime!!.....

As for the Gels.....I used a high 5 energy gel at 1hr, then 1x Gu energy gel x2 caffeine at about 1hr 30ish.... and 1x torq gel with guarana at 2 hours on Sunday.....but now questioning the 2x caffeine???....also its so thick I'm a little concerned about taking it with water if I'm not wearing a hydration pack....( and you know I like to smile a lot when running, so it may look like I haven't cleaned my teeth for days!!!.....image) .Do they use bottles in Paris at the water stops....??..........( please excuse my ignorance!!) .....and is it always water they issue??

As for this Sunday 10k....would i take a gel pre run???.....would it give me extra wings????..........imageI may need all the help I can get now my time has been posted publicly!!!

Hi Sam.....Thank you for your lovely comments....!! It's really given me a boost!!!.....image

• Ooooo Impish...I have just googled ITB.....a positive that you know what's wrong and how to treat it.....just seems like a long slow journey.....!!image

You of all people dont need to be restricted when running is your savour at the moment!!!....Good luck with it!!!....imageIf its any concillation I am having to roller and stretch as I am having a very slight niggle in my right knee....I have just bought a foam roller with trigger points.....just waiting for the lovely Amazon man to deliver it!!.....Thank goodness for physios!!!!.....let me know how your getting on!!!!

Must have been strange for you marshalling.....I dont think it does any harm to be on the volunteering end every now and again.....but not fair when you just want to play !!!......image

• Hi Mel, you seem to be going great with your training plan, all this information about gels is really interesting and helpful. I am running my first marathon in October so busy researching everything!!

Been looking at your training plan and was wondering what Sam means when she has put in 3x acceleration strides?

kirsty

• How's it going Mel, hope your foam roller has arrived. I'm living on mine at the moment. It's a good week to iron out those niggles and have agood stretch as it's an easier week than most especially after all the snow running.

• Hi Mel,

Hope your roller has arrived - I'll be taking mine to the work gym at lunchtime.  If I get another couple of days without pain (fingers crossed), I'm going to go out for 10 minutes on Saturday - just as a warm up for a major stretching session, but it will be good to try it out before I go back to the physio next week.  The physio thought that things were a bit better when I went on Tuesday and she was able to 'dig deeper' into the ITB when she massaged - I know that that was the case because I felt it at the connection points in the hip area, not just at the knee image

Hope the rest of the training is going to plan - I'm so impressed with your ability to fit everything in.

Impish

• Hi Mel

Thanks for sharing your experience of gels. It does help me get prepared for not liking the taste so I dont have high expectations come Saturday's run. I've just done my lunchtime shop of gels to try out...I think everyone had the same idea as everyone was gathered around the gels section in the running shop...its definitely marathon training season.

I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for you in Paris.  I recently went to a marathon talk at my running club where people shared their experiences ranging from beginners to experienced runners and the best take away from that was the following:

A guy who has now run about 20 marathons and knocked over 2 hours off his time from his first marathon said that as a first timer you should focus on enjoying the race and not put the pressure of time on yourself as you dont know what to expect as you have never experienced it before so you should just relax and get around.  This is definitely at the back of my mind as I train as others who have targeted  times and missed them on the day have said this clouded their first marathon experience. I think you've such a positive attitude to this experience already but that is the advice that I think is good to share as then whatever happens on the day you will remain upbeat.  Best of luck on Sunday, I imagine you'll fly around and have a new PB image

• Sarah Conway 6 wrote (see)

Thanks Ruth for the guidance on the gels. I have used water based gels in the past for half marathons but over the last year have stuck with putting electrolytes in my water as this was sufficient for that distance.  Is it ok to start taking the gels from about 1 hour in to marathon if I have taken one before the start? I plan on having my normal electrolyte in water too on the actual day.  I'll take a look for some of these gel options this weekend as I do my long run. Thanks again.

If you have run a marathon before and have starting taking the gels at 60mins and this work, stick with it. If not I would suggest take the first at 30-45minutes. The electrolyte in water may be useful, if a very hot day or you like the flavour and helps you drink but I am not sure necessary for most runners BUT if you feel it has worked for you in the past, don't change it.

• melaniejayne wrote (see)

Hi Ruth.....!

I am feeling a lot more confident now if there are no trees in Paris....image.but will definitely practice my fluid regime!!.....

As for the Gels.....I used a high 5 energy gel at 1hr, then 1x Gu energy gel x2 caffeine at about 1hr 30ish.... and 1x torq gel with guarana at 2 hours on Sunday.....but now questioning the 2x caffeine???....also its so thick I'm a little concerned about taking it with water if I'm not wearing a hydration pack....( and you know I like to smile a lot when running, so it may look like I haven't cleaned my teeth for days!!!.....image) .Do they use bottles in Paris at the water stops....??..........( please excuse my ignorance!!) .....and is it always water they issue??

As for this Sunday 10k....would i take a gel pre run???.....would it give me extra wings????..........imageI may need all the help I can get now my time has been posted publicly!!!

Hi Sam.....Thank you for your lovely comments....!! It's really given me a boost!!!.....image

Hi Mel

Gels first: you total carb intake over the 2 hours was 97g (48.5 grams per hour) so this is good from carb needs (suggest around the 50g per hour for you so spot on!). Total caffeine was 129mg so this is a safe level for you as well. The guarana is still caffeine and the TORQ gels have 89mg of this so beware that you should not use these caffeine TORQ gels the whole way through a race (I have included this 89mg in the total caffeine above). Do you want to try the more water based gels- isogels (high five) or powerbar hydro etc and see if these are better otherwise you will need to ensure you only take the gels when a water stop is approaching.

Once I know what mixture of gels or type of gel you will go for , I can put them in a suggested order for you (where to have the caffeine ones and if some are higher in carb content place these towards the end etc).

Your focus at the moment should be fluid prior to run and finding type (s) of gel you are happy with. If TORQ is your favourite then this is a good gel but may also need to use a few non-caffeine ones form TORQ as well.

Prior to 10km, no gel needed BUT if want to practice running hard with a gel in tummy then for this reason use it!

I think it is small water bottles in Paris but will need to ask others on forums that have ran Paris for help on this one???

Good luck & enjoy 10km!

• Hi Mel, didn't mean to pile on the pressure by publicly announcing your 10k goal - sorryimage It's all just part of the training journey, so don't get too hung up about it and just do your best.

Kirsty, acceleration strides are just a good drill for form and leg speed. So you start off at a swift-ish pace, count a certain number of strides (eg.12) (or 4 seconds) before speeding up, count another 12 strides, speed up again and then repeat again. In other words, after every 12 strides you speed up so that by the last set you are running fast, focusing on fast leg turnover and good upright posture, arm action etc. Hope that helps...

• Hey Impish...its all sounding very positive for you!!!.....and a gentle run tomorrow.....Ill keep my fingers crossed!!!.....image

My foam roller has arrived and i have been rolling around a lot.....'Gimp' seems to be the favourite word from my children at the moment and 'freak' .....charming aren't they!!!......As for fitting everything in.....it can be a struggle!!....couldn't do it with small children, at least I can leave the girls on their own so I can nip out!!...

Good luck tomorrow!!!!....let us know how you get on!!.....

• Hi Sam......Please don't worry!!!.....I really don't get too hung up on timings.....I'm just here to have a nice time and enjoy what I'm doing to my best ability!!!!.....It has spurred me on though and i have managed to rope a couple of friends into a 8.30 pace with a very experienced runner to pace us!!!!.....so no I'm not competitive or anything!!!!!.....image.......

Hi Ruth.....I will try some more water based gels, and torq with no caffeine.....I might try running on Sunday with a GU gel just to see how I get on....!!.....Oh all this information.....!!!....image

• Hi Mel, how's the week been? You enjoying foam roller, brutal isn't it but you get a great stretch after you used it.

Enjoy the race on Sunday be good not to have a long run this weekend look forward to hearing all about it. Keep smiling!!

• Yehhhhhh....50.56 mins for the Chichester 10k......who said tentitive sub 53 mins....phephhhh!!!!!......image....Im buzzing!!!!!.....

• Here we go week 7!!!.... 

Monday - Rest  Lots of stretching today!!!...I have a sore knee…..Aghhhh….quick email with lots of advice from the lovely physio Sarah so lots of odd looks in work today trying to squeeze in random stretching….!!!

Tuesday - 6 miles comfortable ( 9.45 – 10.45 ) A comfortable little gander!!....Knee felt ok after all the stretching, just a little twinge that I was aware of…..waiting for the foam roller to come through!!.....

Actual - 6 miles         Time - 57.01         pace average - 9.30  

Wednesday - 5 miles build up (9.40 – 9) I was feeling amazing tonight, So upped my pace…..did start at a slower pace and built it up!!!....Listened to my body and went with the flow!!!....( knee feeling good…..!!)

Actual - 5 miles        Time - 43.47          pace average - 8.45

Thursday - rest Lots of tretching on my foam roller!!!!....and 1 hour hill walking

Friday - 5 miles steady ( 9.15 – 9.45) Hill reps with the running club……up and down we go…..its when you run past the restraunts and gaze at the happy people eating and drinking….you wonder who is the fool!!!????.....

Actual - 4.8 miles             Time - 48.52       pace average - 10.11

Saturday - 3 miles jog – (10.50 – 11.40 ) Kept this one nice and easy….really worried about the 10k tomorrow!!!....funny how I feel so nervous about a race!!!......so happy today just taking it slow with my heart rate monitor and my talking book!!!!.....

Actual 3.1 miles        time -  30.53             pace average - 9.58

Sunday - chichester 10km AMAZING!!!!!!.....wow….how did that happen!!!!!!!...I felt like I was flying at the beginning of the run!!!....and I just kept on going…..it was fab!!!!!....maybe it’s the new asics t shirts!!!!......I ran this race last year with Martin ( husband) in 54.50…….but my personal best for a 10k was 54.06 last May………and I smashed it!!!!....Im so chuffed!!!!!.....

Actual - 6.2 miles      time – 50.56             pace average - 8.13   

• I have been lurking for a while Mel, as you and I run very similar paces and I'm training for my first marathon in London in April, but I just have to de-lurk and say what an amazing 10k time!! Well done you, that is absolutely fantastic!! I had been thinking that I was just a teeny bit quicker than you, but no more, you smashed your target with a time I can only dream of....Enjoy the glory, you deserve it image
  • Hey Wiggly worm!!!....thank you!!!.....I have to say I suprised myself!!!!.....didnt think that was even possible!!!!....but Yehhhh!!!!....Think I deserve a galss of wine!!!!image....Your doing london...?? oh well done you....what time you hoping for.....???....i have a lovely plan you can follow!!!!...image

• Hi Ksizzlepod.....It really does all seem like a complete mine field!!!...I know exactly how you feel!!!....I hope you can make some sense of it with the help of Sam and Ruth!!!.....It think its the gels I have struggled with the most!!!......which marathon are you doing in October...?? .....Pleased Sam explained Acceleration strides.....she did a far better job than I would have!!!!......imageSteve Bacon had to explain them to me....!!!

• Today's diet......for the lovely Ruth.....

Porridge, coconut milk, honey and blueberries

1x tea

1x gu gel pre race

half hot cross bun, half bagel with light philadelphia post run

Chocolate milk

chicken and salad wrap

pear

1x small Oreo...( not a whole small packet!!!!) 

wholemeal rice, peppers, onion, mushrooms, olives, chicken. Salad with avocado and tomatoes

Banana, orange, natural yogurt and mixed seeds

endless water

Glass of red wine.....ok ok 2 glasses...!!

10k race.....( 50.56....in case you didn't hear!!!!!)......

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Mel - absolutely amazing PB!!! Martin would be so proudimage

Nothing more to say!!!

p.s. you totally deserve that wine - enjoy!image

• So, so, so pleased for you smashing that PB Mel image

And by such a massive amount as well!!! That is really impressive and I hope you are delighted with yourself... You must be feeling really positive about Dorney Lake in a couple of weeks!

DS2 is right - the wine is definitely well-deserved image

We'll have to sort out that long run together at some point.

• Wow Mel well done indeed, my best for 10k is 49.11 but to be fair that was on a bike image

• Excellent work Mel and a great PB. So very happy for you image

• Hey Mel, I will be following your lovely plan. I want to run a sub 51 minute 10k too!! According to the race pace calculators, I should be able to run a 4.15 marathon but I think that is probably a big ask for a first timer, so I'm looking at 4.30 or thereabouts. Mostly, I just think it would be good to finish in one piece image

I've got a half marathon in two weeks - maybe the same day as yours, 17th I think, so will be following you closely. But for now, I think you should gracefully accept the accolades and pour yourself another glass of wine....
  • Congrats Mel that is an amazing time in your 10km and a fab PB to add to your achievements. Your should be very proud.

• Ruth,

I did my 15 miles on Saturday morning and finally can say I've broken the barrier to doing over 13.1 miles. I practiced with some gels... 1 before and then an isogel after 6.5 miles and then I had two pieces of shot blocks about 10.5miles to get me through. I sipped my water with electrolytes as required. Does this seem like sufficient amount of energy to have taken on or should I have had something with caffeine in it besides in my water?

• Hi Mel, great running that's a brilliant time you are so right to be delighted. How's the body feeling this week, probably all settled now and not doing the long run this week probably helped it all settle. Keep the stretching and rollering as part of your routine now.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Hi Mel, congratulations on pulverizing your PB.

I will be seeing you in Paris, probably twice. Overtaking you in the first half because I think I'm Steve, then you running passed me after I've realised that I'm not Baconboy.

I'm sure the ASIC team will give you great advice for the course, I'm looking forward to reading it.  Although my first PM, I've read the other forums and ran the 20k. They give out 33cl water bottles every 5k and powerade only at 33k. It's seems runners prefer the bottles, critism is that drinks stations are only on one side of the road thus bottle necks. Only one sports drink station.

Good news about the trees. We go through Parc Vincennes (10-18k) and Bois de Boulogne (33-42k). 

Other info. The Champs is downhill which makes a fast start.  There can be a few bottlenecks as some streets aren't wider enough for 40000 people.  There are several tunnels (23-31k), the slopes are only 5% over 100m but they can sap you. One tunnel for the Paris20k was very long and very hot.  The French runners have a song 'I'm not tired', 'we're not tired' which echos in the tunnels. Around 31km the fun begins and there is a climb, it will be probably around this point you'll be stepping over me.

Good Luck and hope to see you on the 7th.