Options

Mallorca Ironman 70.3 - Anyone going?

Is anyone doing the Mallorca 70.3 in May, or has anyone completed this event before?  This will be my first time and wondered whether there are any hints and tips for a newbie?!

Comments

• Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

I might give this a go in 2014.

• Options
    The Admiral did it last year I think
  • Options
    I will be doing this in may. Afraid it will be my first time there too though so I can't offer much advice! Get some hill training in!!
  • Options

I haven't done the race but I've ridden the bike course a few times.  It's a single lap job, one long hill in it which isn't particularly steep but goes on for a few km (7 or 8 km at around 6-7% I think for the official climb, plus a few km gentler upwards before that).  The descent has some technical sections with lots of hairpins, but it'll be easier if the roads are closed.  I think the run is just flat along the seafront.

• Options

Im doing it too, but its looking like it may well be my first tri. So I cant be of much help either Im afraid! Im going with a few girl-friends who are much fitter than me. Renting a villa together. Which works out quite cheap as a group!

• Options

Swim very cool, wave start and decent run to T1,

T1 is the longest in history, HUGE, its not a sprint yet.

fast start, take it easy, get HR down, gradual climb to main climb, main climb 7kish, go up a few days before to check it out, false summit a few times. feed station is on a slight uphill after a really fast descent, be confident taking bottles in right hand,

The descent is not somewhere to gain the time back, its full of switchbacks and can be a little hairy, ensure your brakes are bob on. Once out of the last village its a fast flat and very scenic few miles out to the only bit i found tough, a dual carraigeway that has a gradual climb, after the turnaround, its pedal to the metal all the way home.

Run is well supported but has a section on the path along the beach, its a little un even but nothing too bad, can get hot, take plenty of liquid. 

Enjoy, get out on the roads before, and then after the race try a few of the really good rides, sa calobra is a great ride, one way down, coffee, one way up.

• Options

Tips on where to stay, anyone? Heard Pollensa is much better and nicer than Alcudia image

Good training to all of you!

• Options

We're staying in Alcudia for convenience, a bit further down the bay (which is huge) in a gorgeous villa (a bit exited about this!). Have stayed in Puerto Pollensa before and that's really nice.

• Options
    Iron Rose wrote (see)

Enjoy, get out on the roads before, and then after the race try a few of the really good rides, sa calobra is a great ride, one way down, coffee, one way up.

And the view is pretty cool too.

http://taxiescorca.com/fotos/Sa_Calobra_-_Mallorca.jpg

• Options

Thanks everyone...not long to go now!

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Avoid the mad coaches on Sa Calobra,(The Cobra) the front wheels stick right over the edge when they go round the hairpins, in a car, we needed a strong coffee before tackling the route back up, its that amazing.

• Options

Race week Gemsie... you excited or nervous? image