X Tri South Wales & Scott Xtri series

Anybody into off road triathlons? I've not done any but they seem to be be getting popular. I've been asked to help out at three races being held in South Wales, 2 of which are part of the national Scott XTri series.

On 21 April there will be a sprint race at Parc Bryn Bach Tredegar 750m, 15k, 5k. then we have another at Parc Bryn Bach on 30 June ,a round of the Scott Xtri series, with either a full distance 1.2k, 30k, 10k or a sprint of 700/750?m, 15k, 5k.

Then its down to West Wales & Pembrey Country Park on 4 August, again part of the Scott Xtri series with  a full race of 1000m sea swim, 30k bike & 10k beach run (ouch) or a half distance version.

I'm only just getting into MTBing so gutted that my running days are over & cant take part image, but working on the events should be the next best thing, hopefully I get to test out the bike courses at least,image

Comments

• the Scott series has been around for a few years now but really started to grow a couple of years ago - I did one of them - Hawley Lake XTT in 2011 which happened to be the UK Off-road Nat Champs but it wasn't on last year due to land issues (it's on Army land) but is back on this year.

I'm doing XTERRA in September which is both the Nat Champs and qualifier for the Worlds in Maui (fat chance of qualifying!). I should have a new lighter hardtail MTB ready for that image as doing it on a full sus you do notice the weight penalty and on most courses a hardtail helps the climbing.

I'm hoping that off-road tris will grow - in many ways, they're more fun than on-road - but they are otherwise no different to road tris.  

• Am tempted by this as it's a chance to test the new wetsuit before Lanza.  Trouble is, can remember the last time I swam in that lake in April.  Very nearly gave up open water swimming on the spot!

• SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭
    Iron Pingu wrote (see)

Am tempted by this as it's a chance to test the new wetsuit before Lanza.  Trouble is, can remember the last time I swam in that lake in April.  Very nearly gave up open water swimming on the spot!

Bit of a difference - Tredegar to Lanza - good luck with that.

Know what you mean Pingu, thats why NEWTs wait til May for their aquathlon series to start. (Which is on again this year - last Thrsday of the month, May to August image) Perhaps we'll have a nice warm spring!!!!!!!!!
    I'm hoping to be open water aclimatised by then this year though.