Insanity Workout

Comments

• Well done JLB3.  I 've just finished fitness test 2, you will see an improvement when you do it!

Switch Kicks - 66 (2 kicks = 1 rep, not sure if shaun t's gang count it like this though?) 

Power Jacks - 55

Power Knees - 98

Power Jumps - 53

Globe Jumps - 10

Suicide Jumps - 19

Push-Up Jacks - 33

Low Plank Oblique - 51

I saw an improvement in all exercises except power jacks.  Stats are:

weight 180lbs = 4lb lossed

Chest 39" = no change

Waist 36" = 1.5" lossed

Bicep 14" = 1/4" gain

Thighs 23" = 1/2" lossed

Not bad for 2 weeks just hope it carries on, i'm sticking to the nutritional requirements of the recommended diet.

Mr A

• Well done on your results so far Mr A, fantastic.

Did Plyometric Cardio this morning, I had a glass of smoothie 10 mins or so before I got into it and felt much better than during Fit Test.  Still, extreemly hard work, and I don't mind admitting that I stole some extra recovery time, and had to drop my intensity ake a break during some of the workouts.  Are all the workouts similar interval style?  I think I'll wear my heart monitor from now on; do you know what %HR you should recover to during the rests, 70%?

I'm not really sticking to the nutrition plan myself, glass of milk is my recovery drink of choice.

• If i'm honest i haven't been using a heart rate monitor but i aim to start before month two begins. I know that my lungs are always wanting to exit my mouth by the time the rest time comes around. They are all similiar interval styles except pure cardio, there is hardly any rest periods but it does go by quickly.

• Day 3; stairs are a serious challenge today.  On the face of it the next 2 days look easier, THEY MUST BE!

• Second Fit test results

Switch Kicks - 41 - 1 more than last time

Power Jacks - 50 - 7 more

Power Knees- 78 (2 more)

Power Jumps- 25 (6 more)

Globe Jumps - 10 (1 more)

Suicide Jumps- 15( 3 more)

Push up jacks- 32 (4 more)

Low plank obliques 44 (9 less!!)

Quite pleased with the results especially because I took an extra day off this week! Not going to take measurements until after week 4. Good luck to everyone with whichever workout you're doing today!

• Great work sam! Has it improved your run times?

• JLB3, i was a wrecked for the first 3-5 days but just keep going and it subsides however all the workouts bring their own challenges, even cardio recovery.

• Not sure if it has improved run times yet - I'm hoping that will come later Mr A. strangely enough though, I have found that I run quite well straightafter doing Insanity which I didn't expect. I think I'm just so warmed up form the Insanity workout that i get straight into a good pace and can actually run better that way! On one day I do a long run and no Insanity and have started doing just the Insanity warm up then running. JLB3 - keep it up, you'll be amazed at how much more you can do after a couple of weeks!

• Thanks for the encouragement guys, great improvement after a short period Sam.  

Day 4 Cardio Recovery, boy did I need todays lighter session!  I'm not flexble at all so it was dificult for me to do a lot of this properly, and I will havde to admit to struggling to do the squat and lunge holds, but I did my best.

• Day 5 Pure Cardio.  This confused me a little as I wasn't sure whether I should be going Balls to the Wall and droping out when exhausted, or trying to pace myself to get through the full session.  I ended up taking it steady, using my HR monitor and jogging on the spot for 10 seconds or so if my HR hit high 80%s.  I'm not sure it was the right thing, session was still a killer and I probably sweated more than any of the previous, but I don't feel as destroyed now as on days 1,2,3..even 4.

• Did my 2nd fit test last night and saw a good improvement in everything apart from the push up jacks (still cant do a full press up image ) 

This is pretty amazing as I popped my calf muscle last week and have been doing a low impact version of all of the exercises to give it chance to recover. 

Just goes to show how good the conditioning side of things is and how much I needed to work on my strength.  Not lost any weight yet but im happy with what its doing for me.

I know what you mean about choosing whether to go hammer and tong at it or judge it to last the full time.  Both are pretty painful !

• Well done guys, JLB3 i quite enjoy the pure cardio session and i tend to go flat out and work to failure. I've seen an improvment in how long i can go in the session before collapsing, i hope before the end of week 4 i can get all the way through. Watching the guys in the vid they collapse and take extra breaks. 

MM, dont get hung up on weight, you will be building muscle which weighs more than fat so you can tone up without losing weight.

Last day of week 3 for me tomorrowimage just starting to see my top 2 abs imageunderneath the layer of skin/fat, bear in mind that i have never had abs ever in my life! I hope the results keep coming.

• GOOO Mr A ! it must be so encouraging to see some physial evidenceimage 

I have to say Im really enjoying it so far. 

• Well done Minnie, be careful with that calf.

I can't wait to get some visual improvements mr a, I'm sure it's a big boost to keep going.

Day six for me, and plyometric cardio again, pretty pleased on an improved performance from day 2, but level 1 drills and squat thrusts broke me each time. Used my hr monitor to regulate rests, needed about a minute instead of 30 seconds. So glad it's rest day tomorrow, just about to head out for walk/run Parkrun.
  • I hear you JLB3, 2nd and 3rd sets of squat thrusts in level 1 drills always make me quit to catch my breath for a couple of seconds and then i go for it again. It will be interesting to see if i see an improvement in the last week of these sessions. 

• mr average 99 wrote (see)

Well done guys, JLB3 i quite enjoy the pure cardio session and i tend to go flat out and work to failure. I've seen an improvment in how long i can go in the session before collapsing, i hope before the end of week 4 i can get all the way through. Watching the guys in the vid they collapse and take extra breaks. 

MM, dont get hung up on weight, you will be building muscle which weighs more than fat so you can tone up without losing weight.

Last day of week 3 for me tomorrowimage just starting to see my top 2 abs imageunderneath the layer of skin/fat, bear in mind that i have never had abs ever in my life! I hope the results keep coming.

Congrats on the emerging abs!  Don't wish to throw cold water on everything, but the other four are the real challenge!  I don't know if I'm ever going to see mine. image  Still, if you've never seen 'em before you must be doing something right.image

• Blimpy wrote (see)
    gedgino wrote (see)
    today i done "pure cardio", god it was a hard one, done it first thing in the morning before hunting for stone roses tickets....i found a few times where i was stopping earlier than usual...whether that was the difficulty of it or losing a bit of motivation i dont know. funnily enough, i am starting to feel more strong now and hopefully soon SEE some changes! off on the ale now...NO KEBAB!!!
    Actually, believe it or not, kebabs aren't that bad as all the fat drips off.  Just so long as you don't eat one every day, I can see no harm.

Blimpy - do you mean shish or doner kebab?  I think shish kebab is relatively healthy for a takeaway (especially as my local place grills the meat instead of frying it)  Doner kebab is an entirely different story: while it's delicious, you can really taste the fat, especially when it starts to go cold.  Chicken shish can be stone cold and still taste nice - stone cold doner?  Ueeeeuuuch!

Surely with things like takeaways, the best thing to do is cut down but not entirely cut out?  After all if you do try to cut them entirely, when you do eventually give in, you'll gorge yourself?  I'm aiming for no more than two takeaways per month and only one of them can be pizza (a few slices, not inhaling an entire pizza myself).

• Day 8, didn't think I gave it my all today, but did it. Had a bit of a run on my day off. Weighed in - 0.5lbs off, down a % point in body fat. Pretty happy with that since I haven't been eating properly.
  • If I had the room, I'd probably give Insanity a shot but there's not a room in the house where all that leaping about won't result in injury and/or damage to furniture.image  Massive kudos to those of you doing it though - it sounds.... Insane!

• plyometrics today and 3.5 km of running intervals after. JLB3, I had a day like that yesterday, did the routine but just went through the motions really and didn't do it well. Today I felt much better though - I don't have too much trouble with the jumps but the level 1 drills ,ski abs and in out abs kill me too - really struggle and have to stop a couple of times. 

• Keep it up guys, we are doing well.  Everybody has a bad day but at least your doing it and not making excuses to not do it. Any workout, even half effort is better than nothing. Respect to you for running as well sam and JLB3, i just cant commit to that. I'm on my last week of month 1, I made the mistake of watching the recovery week dvd, i dont think the american for recovery is the same as over here because it doesn't look like recovery to meimage

• Much like american for "warm up"!  Well done for getting through the first 4 weeks Mr A.

Where are you in the schedule Sam?

Pure Cardio for me today, it hurt like hell.  My Calf is really tight, I'm surprised there isn't more calk stretching in the warm-upswarm downs?

Roadrunner - you actually don't need that mutch space, maybe 3 workout mats laid side-by-side.

• Plyometric Cardio for me today (day 10), I was like a rag doll by the last set, I had to spend 5 minutes basically doing a duck-walk, while cleaningf gallions of sweat off the floor.

• Which app is the best as there are loads of insanity workouts on you tube?
  • I had plyo as well today JLB3. I'm still in week 4, 3 days to go before recovery week. I must admit i thought today was going to be hard because i had a physically hard day at work but i suprised myself and made it to the last set of ski abs and squat thrusts before i started to collapse. What week are you in now JLB3?

Muffin29 what do you mean by app?

• JLB3, you already answered my question because you put day 10. You will keep seeing improvements, stick at it mate.

• The MAX training must be looming over you now Mr A!

cardio recovery for me today, I have very poor flexibility and struggled to hold squat and lunge. Poor effort all round. image
  • Not going to lie, i found cardio recovery hard tonight as well. I still cant hold the squats or lunges after the mini ones, very frustrating/painful. Max training is close but at least i have the recovery week 1st. Remember if it was easy everyone would do it.Keep it upimage

• Disaster, done my back in during the warm up this morning. Cripple.
  • Nightmare mate, rest it well before starting again. I apologise being a bit rude but on what exercise did you do it on. I would like to avoid injury at all costs, as all of us do!