Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, awesome stuff, feels like a big thread moment, a long overdue welcome to the sub-35 club.  I'm delighted to see how accurate my prediction was. Of course, I knew it would be 39:43, but didn't want to seem too accurate image

A typical SG fast start then, but you held it pretty much all the way through.  By your description of the race, it sounds like the ideal PB in that you smashed it, but you still know there's some slack in there for another PB on an even faster course in better conditions (hello Eastleigh). Well pleased for you, you truly deserved that one.

Also a great confidence builder ahead of Wokingham.  I know you're not going to talk targets for that one, but, whatever you were aiming for, you must be pretty confident of hitting it.  Looks like it'll be a good year.

Mattl, sounds like an absolute dog's dinner!

• The Bus wrote (see)

That's some pot hunting image

Nice to see you posting M - just don't make it need a major milestone form SG to bring you back each time image

51.6M for the week. Now a nice easy week in the run up to Wokingham, where I now expect SG to leave me for dead! 

Stevie - I might consider Silverstone as well if you are thinking of making the trip down...

Cheers, hopefully I'll have time / reason to pop in here next Sunday!  Hope you have a good race at Wokingham, might turn up to heckle - not sure yet.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bluenose - welcome.  As SG says, I didn't win that one, I was 4th.  Slightly odd one as there were 2 minutes separating 1st-4th, and then a whole 6 minutes between me and 5th.

Yep, I'm well aware of Frome's hilliness, as I grew up there.  Do I spy the red vest of Frome Running Club in your picture then?  I ran for Frome back when it was Frome AC as a teenager in the early 90s, they had a decent youth setup then and some really quick kids.  My dad was one of the youth coaches, and has now just rejoined the club after a long absence. 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Big PB SG . Well raced. Looks good for the hm

Matt - sounds like you ran well, shame about the organisation

Seb - Sorry to hear about the lay off, will that keep you out of birm Xc on sat?

Stevie see- I'm looking at Lincoln 10k in April, I think dt2 got a PB there last yr so looks like a fast course. So if you need another 10k shot that might suffice. Also there is air products on Easter Sunday.

Philip . I would take you up on the 2.50 VLM pacer but I'm planning on targeting 2.59. Will try and follow your training plan though if you are going to share again

A 15m LSR for me today in 6.45ave pace. Felt strong
  • 2:59 Dean - yeah right! Either you're planning it as  a training run or you've mis-typed the middle digit there image

Seb - girlfriend forbidden you? She may well be right, but who wears the trousers (shorts?) in your house?? Hopefully it'll heal sooner rather than later though...

M - all hecklers welcome next week! 

Oh, forgot to say earlier, tried out new shoes tonight - Adios. Bloody great shoes, and although new shoes always seem to make me feel faster, these seemed to inspire a bit of extra pace for some reason, even more than the lighter Hagios....

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Dean - 2:59?! Really? I know you shouldn't underestimate the marathon and stuff, but that's jogging round for you. It's a slower pace than your 15 today!
  • Sorry Dachs always thought you won the HM, just remember the green vest coming up the hill at the end... Its on again this year, it's also the Somerset HM Champs, the mad fools... I've only been with the club for two years, but I get the feeling some of the people have been members since the beginning of time...

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Dachs, bus - agreed that time looks unambitious but I don't want to be a casualty of chasing something and dying on my arse. I feel I need to earn the respect of the distance before I chase something faster. Maybe I will feel different once I've got the long training in me.
  • You will Dean, once youve smashed out a few 20s at 6.15 paceimage

Refreshing to see a bit of real humility for the distance though, as we've all seen how it can effect even the best runners.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Moraghan wrote (see)
    The Bus wrote (see)

That's some pot hunting image

Nice to see you posting M - just don't make it need a major milestone form SG to bring you back each time image

51.6M for the week. Now a nice easy week in the run up to Wokingham, where I now expect SG to leave me for dead! 

Stevie - I might consider Silverstone as well if you are thinking of making the trip down...

Cheers, hopefully I'll have time / reason to pop in here next Sunday!  Hope you have a good race at Wokingham, might turn up to heckle - not sure yet.

That'd be terrific if you came along! Certainly would boost performance I'm sure!

Dean, behave. Even accounting for your lack of experience at the marathon distance, a 1:14(minimum) half level would be a pretty poor transition to a 2.59!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, the real value of that speed of yours is being able to dump miles out of the way quickly.

One reason Paula Radcliffe ran the marathon in 2:15 was that she had the ability to go all out for that time duration and run out of road before she ran out of energy.

Sub 2:30 for you. WAVA 10k has a 33 min 10k at 2:28 for a marathon.

You could do that just by swapping a 15 mile run for a 21miler once a month.

🙂

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

Now that is  quality story Johnas! Colin Dulson? He organises the Ennerdale Horseshoe amongst other races. Good runner in his own right.

It is indeed Colin and he did talk about the Ennerdale Horseshoe, or more specifically, inviting me up to run it! We swapped contact details so next time he's down here in Kent he's got a running partner.

So Dachs, & Bluenose are Frome boys huh? I ran for Yeovil Olympiad (3000m) whilst a schoolboy as well as Somerset at Cross Country & 3000m. Found an early running diary last week when moving house complaining about a terrible race at the Yeovil 5k series in where I only ran 17.09. I was 14 at the time.

20 miles went off ok yesterday. Overall average 6.51 pace with the MP sections average 6.13, so not far off the target of 6.18 but still early days (only 1 week in to marathon prep). A couple of MP sessions this week should hopefully help me get more in tune with the pace ready for an MP run at Wokingham.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
    Dachs, bus - agreed that time looks unambitious but I don't want to be a casualty of chasing something and dying on my arse. .

Heck mun, you wouldn't be the first on this site to do that! image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Awesome run and milestone SG. Excellent pacing job. Things looking good for Wokingham and 2013 in general - should be PBs all round!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean - I'm sure you'll change your mind once you see the results of specific marathon training.  I guess it's a bit early to be talking about targets anyway, you haven't even entered one yet!

Johnas - I wonder if I ran against you as a kid then?  Yeovil is where I did most of my track racing back then, presumably as it was just about the only place in the local league with a decent track.  Mainly 800/1500, but usually also featuring something stupid like long jump or 200m, just to get the 1 point for the club for coming last.  One of my abiding memories is false-starting in a 400m race.  I hated track.  Never quite made the grade to run for Somerset, sounds like you were a cut above me.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Another 11 miles knocked off. The biking seems to be having some beneficial effect.

Traffic really busy so stop start most of the way. 39 minutes for the first 6 miles then averaged 6:10 for the next 5 miles. Last two miles 6:05 & 5:58 (downhill that one)

600 feet of climbing involved. That's out of Thames valley, into the Colne valley and back again.

🙂

• dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
    Dachs, bus - agreed that time looks unambitious but I don't want to be a casualty of chasing something and dying on my arse. I feel I need to earn the respect of the distance before I chase something faster. Maybe I will feel different once I've got the long training in me.

2:59 is a reasonable aim as in reality that means a safe 1:25 for the first half and if you get to half in 1:25 you can pretty much hit anything from 2:50 to 3:00. The other thing about 2:59 is that if you only ever do one marathon then sub 3 is the real barrier you want to beat and if you intend to do more, a sub 3 is a nice start to give you a sighter. I will be sharing the training but will start with a marathon at the end of October and then will keep the long runs properly long through the whole winter.

7.5 at lunchtime today at 7.5 pace: a bit less wind than last week and about 40 seconds faster so everything going in the right direction.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sub 3 is reasonable if you can imagine Deano cruising it round cautiously!

But somehow I can't.

Deano, why are you thinking about a marathon by the way? Surely you could still smash the 800s and 1500s with your turn of speed.

• Strong progression run that Ric.  Don't go wearing yourself to close to Wokingham though image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

stevie - truth is im mixing it up a bit to avoid repetitive boredom creeping in and more so using different paces/mileage in training to hopefully avoid injury.  Im guessing there is only so much my hamstrings are going to put up with.

my plan for 2013:

now to end of March, training is focused HM for wilmslow. 

April to end of May, training is focused on 5k training for Christleton

Summer months focusing purely on 800m

then back to training randomness of a 10k at leeds abbey dash and Robin hood HM in the autumn

before starting mara training for london 2014.  the marathon is an itch that needs scratching image 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Stevie forgot to ask - has the grin subsided from your chops yet ?  Big chunk taken off your PB !! image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Deano, have to laugh at repetitive boredom kicking in! You're only a couple of years in old son!image

I have found myself writing 34:43 out a few times on random bits of paper...probably the most pleasing pallandrome I've ever come across!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, from the moment I set off I had a couple of thoughts in mind. One was Wokingham, the other was having to account for questionable training paces later on the thread.

I could simply keep quiet but since I'm always right it would be a shame to deprive anyone of the means by which I did the job. See, modest as wellimage

The mile averages are just that. Averages.

The form of the run was really a mixture of paces where the main proviso was to operate around HM effort/ tempo.

As with a couple of days ago, if I deemed that I was overdoing things I stopped and reassessed the situation. You can spend a significant amount of time going in and out of oxygen debt doing that.

I was more interested in how I was feeling at the end of the run. Compared to last week, recovered almost immediately. 

No more than 5 milers now. 

🙂

• Deano, 2:59? Very cautious of you and food for thought for my own aspirations. I'm entering one next spring either London or... Boston. I want to make a big deal out of it first time.

If my plan goes right by then I'll be nearing 35 mins for 10k and have a predicted mara time of 2:42. I'd be aiming for 2:49-2:55... is that a bit ambitious?

Looking forward to seeing you blast a few 800's this year Dean, will I be seeing you at the Trafford open meets then?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cripes Ric, i'd missed that session until Bus, or forum nanny as I call him image pointed it out.

Around 7miles in a row at what must be HMP zone?! Hell of a session.

I guess you do have most of the day to do it and recover unlike most of us full time workers though image

Stevie, you have to qualify for Boston I believe, and only on a marathon time, not on your half. So you'd have to do another marathon in 3:05 or under first!

Similarly for London, to get a Good for age place you'd have to have done another marathon first! Or you could go sub 1:15 at half and auto qualify! Otherwise it's pot luck in the ballot (which will open the day after the race in April) or a charity space, perhaps 2k in sponsortship needed image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Or a club place. At some clubs that's a fairly straightforward way in. Not at ours mind, there's a ballot for them too.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yeah that's true Dachs. I think my lot used to get 3, so it'd often be 3 out of 4/5 wanting it, fairly good odds.

The they got tight, and it was suddenly 1 place!

• Johnas... The Yeovil series is still going strong, on one of the fastest course's around here, and supported by a strong turn out...

The Silverstone 10k, thats a blast from the past... Done a couple of them 20 years ago, and the results are in the archive... 34.36 in 92 & 33.51 in 93... Must have had a couple of off nights... All I can remember about them, is that it was hilly-ish and windy... Plus the Williams Team was doing a bit of testing before one of them...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Off nights Bluenose?image

How fast did you go overall?

Hilly-ish?! It's a flat racing circuit... ...or it seemed that way when I did 4 halves there

• Stevie... If its not as flat as a track, then its hilly, its been my achilles heel...

Best time was 31.22, but sometimes wonder how true the distance was... To be a minute faster to what I was doing before and after, is a bit strange...