Asics training starts now...!!

Comments

• Thanks Gary about water bottles!

50 MINUTES & 56 SECONDS imageimage Wow girl!

melaniejayne wrote (see)

Hi Sam......Please don't worry!!!.....I really don't get too hung up on timings.....I'm just here to have a nice time and enjoy what I'm doing to my best ability!!!!.....It has spurred me on though and i have managed to rope a couple of friends into a 8.30 pace with a very experienced runner to pace us!!!!.....so no I'm not competitive or anything!!!!!.....image.......

Hi Ruth.....I will try some more water based gels, and torqwith no caffeine.....I might try running on Sunday with a GU gel just to see how I get on....!!.....Oh all this information.....!!!....image

Sarah Conway 6 wrote (see)

Ruth,

I did my 15 miles on Saturday morning and finally can say I've broken the barrier to doing over 13.1 miles. I practiced with some gels... 1 before and then an isogel after 6.5 miles and then I had two pieces of shot blocks about 10.5miles to get me through. I sipped my water with electrolytes as required. Does this seem like sufficient amount of energy to have taken on or should I have had something with caffeine in it besides in my water?

You had 33g of carbs (23g from gel and 5g each from shot B) for the 15 miles while actually running. I would suggest you aim for 30-50g per hour of running, how long did your 15miles take? The caffeine is not for everyone so it is a personal choice but you may want to try it in the middle part of race for  a wee pick up from the caffeine so you can mix the gels and only use caffeine at say 15 & 20miles? Others use it all the way round and others do not use it at all. You need to see if it works for you.

• Mel

Why don't you try regular jelly sweets or the shot bloks from powerbar (these are like jelly cubes with 5mg of caffeine per cube)?

Or like you have suggested the gels with a less thick consistency in your mouth. It needs to work for you so keep working at this on long runs.

50 mins  56 seconds indeed!!!

• p.s wine after race is okay ... as long as you rehydrated first with non-alcoholic drinks and only a couple of wee onesimage

• Hi Ruth,

My 15 miles took 2 hours 36 mins to complete.Thanks for that advice that really helps especially when it comes to the caffeine gel option as I think I will need something to push past 15 miles. I'll try that when I do my 16 miles run in two weeks time as this week is a nice gentle 12 miles.

• Mel is a star image - blasted that PB and, I suspect, was smiling all the way round. Great performance, which indicates you're ahead of the game when it comes to current goal finish time in the Big One! But let's see how the half mara goes, too. Enjoy this week's training!

• Evening Mel!

Such a fab new PB!! Woo woo!!

Look forward to having a good catch up at Dorney Lakes! image

• Hi Mel, yes the info from Sam helped and I know understand what they are, im going to try and use them in some runs and see how I can improve them over the weeks. I am doing bournemouth, fingers crossed it all goes well.

Congrats on the PB, enjoy your training this week! 

• Hi Mel, just wanted to pop in and say a big well done on your new PB! Cracking stuff!image

• Gary Pearce wrote (see)

Hi Mel, congratulations on pulverizing your PB.

I will be seeing you in Paris, probably twice. Overtaking you in the first half because I think I'm Steve, then you running passed me after I've realised that I'm not Baconboy.

I'm sure the ASIC team will give you great advice for the course, I'm looking forward to reading it.  Although my first PM, I've read the other forums and ran the 20k. They give out 33cl water bottles every 5k and powerade only at 33k. It's seems runners prefer the bottles, critism is that drinks stations are only on one side of the road thus bottle necks. Only one sports drink station.

Good news about the trees. We go through Parc Vincennes (10-18k) and Bois de Boulogne (33-42k). 

Other info. The Champs is downhill which makes a fast start.  There can be a few bottlenecks as some streets aren't wider enough for 40000 people.  There are several tunnels (23-31k), the slopes are only 5% over 100m but they can sap you. One tunnel for the Paris20k was very long and very hot.  The French runners have a song 'I'm not tired', 'we're not tired' which echos in the tunnels. Around 31km the fun begins and there is a climb, it will be probably around this point you'll be stepping over me.

Good Luck and hope to see you on the 7th.

Haha we'll see - I reckon we'll all surprise ourselves come Paris... image

Thanks for the course info - I must admit, I hadn't really considered until now how the course might be laid out etc. I think I've had my head in the training too much!

• Well done on your PB!

and thought I'd let you know...... the curly Cale is awesome! had a few attempts but without the lemon I love it! doing some for tonight!

• Hello Mel - congratulations on your fab PB, sounds like training is going to planimage

I haven't run for nearly four weeks now due to shin pain, I might try a short run at the weekend but I don't think I will be able to recover enough miles even if I can run to complete a marathin in Aprilimage Any advice greatly appreciatedimage

• Sarah Conway 6 wrote (see)

Hi Ruth,

My 15 miles took 2 hours 36 mins to complete.Thanks for that advice that really helps especially when it comes to the caffeine gel option as I think I will need something to push past 15 miles. I'll try that when I do my 16 miles run in two weeks time as this week is a nice gentle 12 miles.

Let me know how this goes!  

How did you feel towards end of your last 15mile or for the next couple of days when recovering from this?

Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

Gary Pearce wrote (see)

Hi Mel, congratulations on pulverizing your PB.

I will be seeing you in Paris, probably twice. Overtaking you in the first half because I think I'm Steve, then you running passed me after I've realised that I'm not Baconboy.

I'm sure the ASIC team will give you great advice for the course, I'm looking forward to reading it.  Although my first PM, I've read the other forums and ran the 20k. They give out 33cl water bottles every 5k and powerade only at 33k. It's seems runners prefer the bottles, critism is that drinks stations are only on one side of the road thus bottle necks. Only one sports drink station.

Good news about the trees. We go through Parc Vincennes (10-18k) and Bois de Boulogne (33-42k). 

Other info. The Champs is downhill which makes a fast start.  There can be a few bottlenecks as some streets aren't wider enough for 40000 people.  There are several tunnels (23-31k), the slopes are only 5% over 100m but they can sap you. One tunnel for the Paris20k was very long and very hot.  The French runners have a song 'I'm not tired', 'we're not tired' which echos in the tunnels. Around 31km the fun begins and there is a climb, it will be probably around this point you'll be stepping over me.

Good Luck and hope to see you on the 7th.

Haha we'll see - I reckon we'll all surprise ourselves come Paris... image

Thanks for the course info - I must admit, I hadn't really considered until now how the course might be laid out etc. I think I've had my head in the training too much!

Hi Mel

Try and not worry about Paris course yet. I will start preparing you for that after the half!
    Just something to consider for your "dress rehearsal" next weekend is timing of breakfast. I spoke with runner’s world to get an idea of when you are likely to be leaving hotel on 7th April (morning of Paris marathon just in case you forgot!). This is probably going to be around 7am for your 8.45am start so perhaps you will need to be at breakfast for 6am so that this can be relaxed meal? (Also you use coconut milk this will not be available at the hotel - can you bring a UHT carton for race morning?) So for your  half next weekend which starts at 10am perhaps you want to consider also sitting down to having breakfast at 2hr 45 mins but this allows a much more civilised time of  7.15pm! All snacks after this should be same as for Paris.

If you find the time in the next couple of days could you write down your eating and fluid plan for next Sunday, from when you get up and throughout race. I feel this will help you  know exactly what your plan is and

• ..... help you feel confident in this. Remember this  plan can be changed for Paris if you have  problems. So don't worry if still concerned with gels etc lets go with one type for next weekend and be confident it will work!

• Hi Mel,

I found the 15th mile tough in parts and when I stopped my hands felt numb with pins and needles so stopping my watch took a few seconds. But apart from that it was ok. I sat in a cold bath for about 5 mins (I couldnt take any longer than that) and that helped greatly. I did play a hockey match that evening and I was surprised at how much energy I had and no stiffness. I went running on Monday evening and did 6 miles and while I was a little tired, overall I found it ok. This weekend I have 12 miles and I think this could be a slower run as the step up to 15 miles does seem to have made me more tired towards the end of the week. Is this normal?

• Hi Mel

I have been reading your posts for a while now, as well as Steve Bacon's.  I just wanted you to know how helpful they have been, they have given really useful advice as well as helping me feel I am not alone!  I am training for my first marathon, which will be London.   My training schedule is a bit in advance of yours because I have a family ski holiday in the last week of March so I need to have done all my long runs before then.  I just hope that I can get through the skiing without any injuries (I have already told my husband & friends I won't be doing any black runs this year). 

So I did 18 miles yesterday (I am lucky not to work Fridays).  It was a long way!!  But following all the discussions about refuelling I had a gel after 8 miles (yuk), then ShotBloks after 12.   Felt OK at the end, and went straight to my pilates class.  I think that this is a great way of cooling down and making sure my muscles don't get stiff. 

Congratulations on your 10k.  And good luck with the rest of the training.

I am doing the Surrey Spitfire 20 miles at the start of March, starting at the Top Gear track.  Anyone else doing that one?

Cat

• Hi Cat, a few on Shady Ady's thread, including the great man himself! are doing the Surrey Spitfire... Sure they'd be glad to have another running buddy!

Hope all going well Mel and still basking in PB glory!image 

• Hi Mel,

I hope this weeks training has gone well - I haven't had this week's report yet, but given that we are starting a new block tomorrow I am posting the next lot of training below. You'll notice that the paces have been revised again. Please let me know how these feel - remember, the pace range should match the description. So, 'comfortable' should feel, er, comfortable!image Please feedback if they feel too much of a leap - but y'know, if you will smash your PBs like that, you've got to expect me to move the goalposts a littleimage

I've also put in a suggested goal/pace for Dorney. I discussed goal times with Ady and Steve at training day, but because you had the 10km time coming up, we decided to leave till afterwards. I know you ran a few mins outside of 2 hours before but reckon you are capable of running under 2 for it now.

So here's weeks 9 to 12. The long run in week 12 is a month out from race day and is the peak long run.

Revised pace guidelines

Jog (recovery) 10.20-11.10

Comfortable (easy) 9.20-10.20

Steady 8.40-9.20

Fast (tempo) 8.20-8.30 (or for intervals 8.10-8.25)

Week 9 w/c 11th February
    Monday 4 MILE JOG (can swap Mond/Tues)
    Tuesday REST OR CROSS TRAINING
    Wednesday 1 MILE EASY, 1 MILE STEADY, 3 MILES TEMPO, 1 MILE EASY (6)
    Thursday REST
    Friday: 4 MILE COMFORTABLE PLUS 3 X ACCELERATION STRIDES
    Saturday DORNEY LAKE HALF MARATHON plus w-up/c-down (15) AIM IS 1.55 to 1.59.59! Pace guideline 8.51-9.09 per mile.
    Sunday 3 MILE JOG
    MILEAGE 32

Week 10 w/c 18th February
    Monday CROSS TRAINING
    Tuesday 5 MILE COMFORTABLE
    Wednesday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 4 x 4 MINS at 7.45-8 MIN pace with 3 min jogs in between each. 1 MILE JOG (5 MILES)
    Thursday REST
    Friday 4 MILE STEADY TO INCLUDE A PYRAMID OF HILL REPS: 15 SECS, 30 SECS, 45 SECS, 1 MIN, 45 SECS, 30 SECS, 15 SECS. WALK DOWN HILL IN BETWEEN EACH EFFORT. SANDWICH BETWEEN W-UP AND C-DOWN (4)
    Saturday 3 MILE JOG
    Sunday 17 MILES COMFORTABLE
    MILEAGE 34

Week 11 w/c 25th February RECOVERY WEEK
    Monday REST OR LOW IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    Tuesday 4 MILE JOG
    Wednesday 7 MILES STEADY
    Thursday REST
    Friday: 5 MILE COMFORTABLE
    Saturday TRAINING DAY 5km time trial (approx 7 miles total)
    Sunday REST
    MILEAGE 23

Week 12 w/c 4th March 4 WEEKS OUT
    Monday 5 MILE MARATHON PACE
    Tuesday REST OR CROSS TRAIN
    Wednesday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 3 X 1 MILE INTERVALS  AT FAST INTERVALS PACE WITH 2 MINS JOG RECOVERY. 1 MILE JOG (5.5 MILES)
    Thursday 3 MILE JOG OR LOW IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    Friday 4 MILES STEADY
    Saturday REST
    Sunday LONG RUN: 20 MILES COMFORTABLE
    MILEAGE 37

• Oh my goodness....So many lovely words of encouragement!!!!.....Not been on the forum at all this week as been super busy with work.....!! 'Note to self' ....to be more active on the 'chatting to you guys" front!!!

Thank you Sam for increasing my paces!!!....I'm sure I will have fun playing around with them!!....Little worried now about under 2 hours for Dorney Lakes....!!!....But hey...I can only do my best!!!!.....image.......I just looked at your pace guidelines!!!!....yikes!!!!.....image

Hi Ruth.....Yes I will take some time out and plan my dietary requirements for Saturday.....!!....Today's run I used high 5 energy gel after an hour, then at 1.30 a gu gel x2 caffeine, then at 2 hours another high 5 energy gel.....The run was 2.42 so didn't feel I needed another gel so close to the end. I felt good and didn't seem to be having any problems and was full of energy, could have kept on going but I know Sam would have given me one of her looks!!!!....image....The high 5 gels arnt too bad...!!!image.......Ive tried the shot blocks and I struggle to breath when I eat them and run!!.....will have another play with them maybe on a shorter run when breathing not quite so important!!!!....image.......!!!

Hi Sarah....dont seem to have any niggles.....the knee seems to have sorted its self out......Rolling frequently!!!!.....image

• PC91....that made me laugh a lot!!!!.....promise you wont shout abuse at me when you run past me in the trees !!!!.....image.......the water bottle advice is brill...thank you so much....that has really made me feel a lot better......I have done few races...( obviously not a marathon!!) but when they give you water in a cup...... whats that all about!!!!???? really..../?? its just not going to happen without choking!!!!.....so thank you for the bottle advice.....And for the other route advice!!!....that's fab!!!....you are the man of the moment!!!!.....image

Ksizzpod....I hope your getting the hang of the accelleration strides!!!

Thank you Green and white Tigger....Im loving playing around with different varieties of curly kale....good with pumpkin seeds and a bit of chilli powder!!!.....Pleased your liking it!!!!.....image

Oh Mad Welsh Woman...Im sorry your not getting any runs in !!!....that sounds pants!!!!......What are you doing for the shin pain???.....image

• Hi Cat.....Dont feel alone!!!!!.....we can give loads of useful and useless advice!!!!!......

18 Miles is a long way to go on your own.....do you have company??? really helps chatting the miles away!!!......Im sure if you hunt down Ady at the Surry Spitfire he will look after you.....!!....good luck!!!!....image

• Hey Mel, how has your week been? Looking forward to the race next weekend? Will be great to all meet up again - can't wait image

• Week 8…..

Monday – Rest day or cross train…….Can you class a 13 hour shift as rest???.....so certainly no rest or cross train……just lots of running around with my hair on fire for 13 hours!!!......

Tuesday - 4 mile jog

A little mooch to the sea front…..lovely to go and say hello to the sea!!!!...Then onto my BUPA fitness assessment!!!.....ooooo slightly nervous about this, didn’t know what to expect!!!....why was it going to take an expert to tell me my bum is too big!!.??......

Well I shouldn’t have been worried….they were lovely, and it was so INTERESTING!!!!.....wow…..came away feeling fab…..its official…my bum apparently isn’t too big…..! I think that was the only information I absorbed….after all that was the most important bit!!!.....

I now have it in writing, that I am fit enough to run the marathon and I have no get out clause!!!!!......

Actual - 4 miles            time- 38.51              Pace - 9.58

Wednesday - 5 miles fast ( 1 mile easy, 3 miles fast, 1 mile easy )

Managed to incorporate a speed session into my running club night!!.....was lovely thank you for the company!!!....

Actual - 5 miles      Total time - 44.30

Lap 1 - 9.50

Lap 2 - 8.50

Lap 3 - 8.45

Lap 4 - 8.30

Lap 5 - 9.55

Thursday - Rest – Stretching – And Maddy’s birthday…HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADDY!!!.......

Friday - Hills steady

Manic frantic rush straight from work to join the hill reps with the running club…..its the usual running past restaurants watching all the lovely people eating pizza and drinking beer…..they seriously must hate early Friday evening with 20 runners doing loops past them!!....not the most relaxing evening meals out!!!......

Actual - 5 miles           Time - 45.50            Pace - 9.10

Saturday - Rest ???....13 hour shift!!

Sunday - 15 miles comfortable

It was raining so hard…… and I didn’t realize how cold!!!...I went out without my gloves….BIG mistake!!!!!.....yikes…..!!

Comfortable pace with my sister and the very lovely Gemma…..Kept to pavements and a flat surface, not many hills in Paris so the roads it is!!!......played around with gels and found they are working well!!!....Could have kept on running…..had loads of energy and felt great…..!!......apart from the super cold hands!!!.....I really enjoyed my hot bath afterwards!!!!..... 

Actual - 15.6 flat route       Time - 2.42          Average pace - 10.22

A great week.....as usual I have LOVED it!!!!!......Bring on week 9!!!!!

• Hey there lovely Steve!!!!....how you doing??? Really looking forward to Saturday.....even if I am a lot slower than you lot!!...but I guess it means I get cheered in at the end!!!!....You better wait for me before you start on the cake and coffee....( dont tell Ruth...!!) image........x

Hope your week has been as good as mine!!!....Im sure it has!!!.....image

• Hey Mel, sounds like you have a great week! Whenever I feel a bit jaded, I just need to read a couple of your posts - your enthusiasm is so infectious!

Glad the BUPA assessment went well - it really is an interesting experience, isn't it? And glad to hear you are happy with your bum size now haha.

Next weekend is going to be great fun, really looking forward to it. I'll be saying exactly the same to RRR and Ady as they'll be flying off waaaay faster than I am capable of! Hopefully there'll be at least a little bit of cake left by time us two finish!

• Hi Mel

I do most of my runs on my own with just my ipod for company.  I can't join a club to run in the evenings because I have children, my husband works away from home all week, and I couldn't justify paying a babysitter.   At least I can do my runs during daytime, I don't think I could motivate myself to go out late at night like so many people on these forums do. 

I have picked up lots of really good advice from the Asics 5 already.   Like - Long Slow Runs really do need to be slow, or they take too much out of me to let me train properly for days afterwards.   And - why running shoes have that little extra hole (since learning how to tie my laces they have been much more comfortable). 

Not sure that I will be anywhere near Ady at the Surrey Spitfire - his times are frighteningly quick!  I'll aim for a steady 9 mins/mile and see how it goes.

Good luck at Race Your Pace, fingers crossed you come in under 2 hours.  Won't that feel fab!

• Hi Cat,

Yep! You've just summed up the biggest thing I've learned since starting this whole process... slow runs are slow for a reason! I think I just thought if I went out and pushed it harder through those runs that, naturally, I'd be doing myself more good than taking it easy... apparently not!

Good luck at the Spitfire - sounds like a fun race! Let us know how you get on image

• melaniejayne wrote (see)

Oh my goodness....So many lovely words of encouragement!!!!.....Not been on the forum at all this week as been super busy with work.....!! 'Note to self' ....to be more active on the 'chatting to you guys" front!!!

Thank you Sam for increasing my paces!!!....I'm sure I will have fun playing around with them!!....Little worried now about under 2 hours for Dorney Lakes....!!!....But hey...I can only do my best!!!!.....image.......I just looked at your pace guidelines!!!!....yikes!!!!.....image

Hi Ruth.....Yes I will take some time out and plan my dietary requirements for Saturday.....!!....Today's run I used high 5 energy gel after an hour, then at 1.30 a gu gel x2 caffeine, then at 2 hours another high 5 energy gel.....The run was 2.42 so didn't feel I needed another gel so close to the end. I felt good and didn't seem to be having any problems and was full of energy, could have kept on going but I know Sam would have given me one of her looks!!!!....image....The high 5 gels arnt too bad...!!!image.......Ive tried the shot blocks and I struggle to breath when I eat them and run!!.....will have another play with them maybe on a shorter run when breathing not quite so important!!!!....image.......!!!

Hi Sarah....dont seem to have any niggles.....the knee seems to have sorted its self out......Rolling frequently!!!!.....image

Morning Mel

Can I suggest you just stick to the high Five and GU and run with these as you appear to be doing fine on these. I  do not wish to over complicate things for you. If there is a problem with these gels at the half next weekend then we can discuss different plan but otherwise stick to above?

I am not going to suggest you carb load for next weekend as feel using the gels more frequently in the race is going to be more important for you. Although I would  suggest that 2 nights before  race  (Friday & Saturday) you have a high carb supper such as decent size bowl of cereal (can be porridge but other choices of cereal also would be suitable or 2 thick slices of toast and jam/honey or banana) and eat as normal the rest of the day (do not cut down on pasta/rice etc at dinner just because you will be having a large supper before bed).  

• Hi Mel, I just loving reading your posts I always do so with a smile on my face too just thinking about your smile and love for running. Keep up the fab work and good luck at the weekend.

• Hi Mel, hope your week is going OK. Cold out there today, so good that you've got a continuous run to do, rather than intervals. The goal is to build up to and then sustain tempo pace for the middle miles. Enjoy image 

• Im loving the fact Iv been given permission by Ruth to eat more over the next two nights......thank goodness as Iv just bought a big Tiger loaf!!!!....Ummmm.....Good job you said about sticking to the high 5 and Gu as i have just bought boxes of both!!!...image

Thank you Sarah....!!! I think with Sam's new race paces Ill need the good luck!!...!...I am a little worried about sustaining a faster pace for 2 hours, but I believe in Sam.... so if she thinks I can do it....then I can!!!!.....image

Hi Sam.....Really enjoyed tonight's session!!!.....I ran past all the running club doing lamp post speed intervals, but I think I was having far more fun!!!!......image