Target 26.2 - First Timer Steve's Journey to Paris

Comments

• Great thread. 

Been following this a while and finding it really useful.  I'm training for the Paris Marathon also and being my first marathon, the strains and accomplishments your going through are the same as me.  Its a relief to see someone else going through the ups and downs and to see that I'm around the same distances.

I've not tried the gels yet- will look into getting some soon.  Any reccomendations?  Also- as we need this health check for the Marathon, can we just go to an NHS doctor?

• Great to catch up on last few days Steve - particularly impressed with how you coped with the long run, and your speedy finish!  No telling off needed - if you'd done the FIRST two miles that pace I'd be out to get you though! Like Ady, you have an easy week this week.

I'm surprised at your VO2 max reading - but I do find it baffling that BUPA test you on a bike - as VO2 will vary slightly depending on whether you are weight bearing (as in running) or weight supported (as in cycling). I wish they'd test runners on treadmills and cyclists on bikes image But like they said, it will be improving with training, and your training times suggest that you have a very good ability to work at a high proportion of your maximum already, which is another important factor.

• Evening Bacon Steve!

What a fab long run and your splits were really even ... apart from the last one where you FLEW!! Wow - what a finish to your longest ever run!! Nice one! image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Steve, I am starting to get a bit concerned now. You seem to be mutating into an athlete. This is a highly worrying situation but fear not I have the answer. It'll be tough but if you can stick to the following for the next few weeks you'll be right as rain.

Breakfast: Full English with extra bacon. 

Mid- morning: Greggs cheese and onion pasty, full fat coke, box of Milk Tray 

Lunch:  Double pepperoni pizza, tub of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked Ice Cream

Mid afternoon:  Chilli cheese fries, McD's milkshake, 1 x chocolate orange

Dinner: Chicken Jalfrezi, 2 x Naan, 4 x large Cobra. Finish with a pre-packaged, frozen, ice cream based desert of your choice.

Before bed: Half dozen Kispy Kreme donuts washed down with half a pint of Baileys

• Hi Ruth,

Thanks for all the fab advice image

Ady's plan you have put up actually looks pretty good - I am a serious pasta lover so that, combined with banana sandwiches, was all you needed to say! It all sounds like a great day stuffing my face and... well... I'm all for that!image

As for gels, is it ok to mix types/brands during runs?? I really like the SIS Go gels and they seem really easy to take in without any ill effects but I like a caffeine one every now and then too - this is what I did on the 14 miler and it worked well for me...

And, for the record, they are a pain in the backside to open when you have gloves on! I ended up resorting to ripping at them with my teeth - was getting more than a few strange looks from passing motorists image

• Malcs wrote (see)

Steve, I am starting to get a bit concerned now. You seem to be mutating into an athlete. This is a highly worrying situation but fear not I have the answer. It'll be tough but if you can stick to the following for the next few weeks you'll be right as rain.

Dinner: Chicken Jalfrezi, 2 x Naan, 4 x large Cobra. Finish with a pre-packaged, frozen, ice cream based desert of your choice.

Before bed: Half dozen Kispy Kreme donuts washed down with half a pint of Baileys

Malcs......what did I tell you about plagiarizing things from my forum page and stealing my secret dieting techniques? image

Steve......I have had my BUPA results through the post. It was very similar to what they told me in the review straight after the assessment. One thing I did find interesting was that apparently my level of exercise is 10 out of 10. anymore would be classed as overdoing it! I then read further on that as my height/ waist ratio is an immediate concern, I need to increase the amount of times I workout.image

It was very educational though. Sadly I don't have any missing patches of chest hair like you. I've still to grow it in the first place!!

• William Cook wrote (see)

Great thread. 

Been following this a while and finding it really useful.  I'm training for the Paris Marathon also and being my first marathon, the strains and accomplishments your going through are the same as me.  Its a relief to see someone else going through the ups and downs and to see that I'm around the same distances.

I've not tried the gels yet- will look into getting some soon.  Any reccomendations?  Also- as we need this health check for the Marathon, can we just go to an NHS doctor? 

Thanks William, glad you're enjoying it - it's been great fun to write! image

It is a bit of a voyage of discovery, isn't it - I find some of it verging on intimidating but when you actually push yourself to get out there and get on with it, you consistently surprise yourself... Must be a life lesson in there somewhereimage

As I said in the post to Ruth right above, having tried three or four, the Sport In Science Go gels seem to me to be the most palatable and easy on the stomach... but then I do like a nice caffeine boost now and again.

There are so many options and I've read a few other threads on here where people have said some taste horrific or are like eating cement that it does seem a bit trial... but SIS could be a good starting point image

The fitness assessment was a great bonus as part of the prize - it's not something you need to run the marathon. From what I can understand (and please do correct me anybody if I've got this wrong!) you just need to download a Medical Certificate from the Paris Marathon website and then your GP can sign it off after an examination to say you're fit to run.

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Great to catch up on last few days Steve - particularly impressed with how you coped with the long run, and your speedy finish!  No telling off needed - if you'd done the FIRST two miles that pace I'd be out to get you though! Like Ady, you have an easy week this week.

I'm surprised at your VO2 max reading - but I do find it baffling that BUPA test you on a bike - as VO2 will vary slightly depending on whether you are weight bearing (as in running) or weight supported (as in cycling). I wish they'd test runners on treadmills and cyclists on bikes image But like they said, it will be improving with training, and your training times suggest that you have a very good ability to work at a high proportion of your maximum already, which is another important factor.

Thanks Sam and phew, was worried I was in for a slapped wrist!image It really did feel good - I had a bad patch between 10 and 11 miles but that soon passed and I really did fill full of beans at the end... I was a little shocked, I have to admit, to look down and see this:

/members/images/744786/Gallery/14_miles_0.jpg

Yes, given that everything else was very positive it did seem a little strange to me that my VO2 max was as low as it was... but a few more weeks training will sort that out, I'm sure image As you say, it doesn't seem to have slowed me down so far, and the marathon itself will be, one would hope, well below that level of exertion for the most part!

• RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Evening Bacon Steve!

What a fab long run and your splits were really even ... apart from the last one where you FLEW!! Wow - what a finish to your longest ever run!! Nice one! image

Thanks RRR image Yes, was pretty pleased with the splits - seemed a great opportunity to try out some marathon pacing and it seemed like it turned out well... and the afterburners being switched on at the end was kind of pleasing too image

• Malcs wrote (see)

Good to hear from you Malcs! An athlete...? I wish!

I'll be honest, your diet plan hits all the right spots... I may have to sack Ruth and take you on as my official nutritionist.

Just one question about the plan though - I can have poppadoms and bhajees with the Jalfrezi, right?? I'm only thinking of extra carbs...

• Shady_Ady wrote (see)
    Malcs......what did I tell you about plagiarizing things from my forum page and stealing my secret dieting techniques? 

Sounds well-rounded to me... I'm willing to give it a goimage

Shady_Ady wrote (see)
    Steve......I have had my BUPA results through the post. It was very similar to what they told me in the review straight after the assessment. One thing I did find interesting was that apparently my level of exercise is 10 out of 10. anymore would be classed as overdoing it! I then read further on that as my height/ waist ratio is an immediate concern, I need to increase the amount of times I workout.

It was very educational though. Sadly I don't have any missing patches of chest hair like you. I've still to grow it in the first place!!

Um... go figure that one out! Don't exercise any more but start exercising some more... It was definitely interesting though, and very glad we got to do it.

Haha the missing patches of chest hair are not exactly something to be proud of... went swimming tonight and it was only when I was wandering around poolside that I remembered I looked like a right numpty and had to get in the pool pretty quick!

• Training -Week 8 (!!)

Monday - REST DAY

I am actually in shock that we have reached week 8 already... By the end of this week we will have reached the halfway point of the training plan!

I am, in general, feeling very positive about the progress I have been making. It does seem a tough ask, right this second, to run at faster than 9m/m pace for four whole hours... and the half marathon in two week's time at 8m/m seems equally tough...

But when I think about how far I have come already in just eight weeks and the realisation that I have just as long again to improve even further, I think I should be feeling confident.

I have already improved my form when I am running beyond recognition and realised the worth of a variety of different types of training runs. Thanks to Sam for that...

I have improved my diet about 2750% since I started this competition. Thanks to Ruth for that... I actually went the whole of Sunday without eating meat. What the hell. I feel like I'm letting the side down... Dinner was actually amazing and one of the nicest meals I've eaten in a while! Fresh chillies and spring onion mixed into cream cheese is a definite win:

/members/images/744786/Gallery/sweet_chilli!_0.jpg

I have also realised that my body is a system and that I need to take care of lots of different areas of it, not just my legs!! Core work is an important part of that and is something I should focus on a lot more. And by "focus on a lot more" I mean I should actually do some. Thanks to Sarah for that...

I have chatted to some great, understanding and knowledgeable people since starting this competition and gained so much enthusiasm from talking to everyone. Thanks to all you guys for that...

And that isn't even mentioning the mega 5k PB, which was pretty staggering considering I am training for an endurance event. I've also run farther than I've ever run before...

So, with all of that in mind and knowing what great advice and support I have, I am heading into the second half of the training plan with even more enthusiasm, if that is possible, than I started with...

• Today was a rest day... but I was feeling rather perky after the last couple of runs so I decided to do a little low-impact cross training and hit the pool.

This did present a few problems with my patchy chest hair but... I do live in Essex so there was a lot worse on display image

The swim went pretty well. As I've said on many occasions, it is a great facility and I'm very lucky to live so close to it. The boom was across the pool today so I was swimming 25 metre lengths and I just took it easy and just swam for the sake of it rather than pushing myself in any way. After the blasting speed session and the loooong run (well, long for me at least!), I could definitely feel that I had been through a couple of good sessions so I deliberately took it easy!

I glided through 40 lengths in the end, which works out at 1000 metres. As I don't swim as often as I should/would like to I was pretty impressed with the overall distance although I did stop quite a lot as it was a rest day and I didn't want to push myself too hard!

•  
    Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

I was a little shocked, I have to admit, to look down and see this:

It is a bit bright! image
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Just one question about the plan though - I can have poppadoms and bhajees with the Jalfrezi, right?? I'm only thinking of extra carbs...

I will need to check with Ady but as I understand it, in this plan poppadoms are the equivalent of fruit in Weight Watchers - you can eat as many as you like! image

Well done on the running btw. Your progress has been quite spectacular. You said not so long ago that you wanted my 10K time - I don't think you're going to have to wait very long!

PS. As an act of solidarity I plan to carbo load alongside yourself, Ady, RRR and the others prior to your HM. It's the least I can do. 

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Blimmey...I turn my back for one day, and I've got PAGES to catch up on. image

Interesting question you raised about running in the wind Steve, can you direct it again to Sam, she may have missed it in amongst all the other info, and I'd really like to know ...ta.

Kandinsky wrote (see)

I was a little shocked, I have to admit, to look down and see this:

It is a bit bright! image

My thoughts aswell!! image

• I've just got to delurk at this point! Great running and all round health improvement Steve, you should be proud of yourself. Two points:

I wouldn't get hung up on the VO2 max thing, you run pretty well on it whatever the number

And

I LOVE the watch, v jealous. Makes mine look very slow and boring.

Enjoy the next few weeks and remember to smile round every step of Paris. Stay safe and healthy

• Great progress Steve!

Apart from being a bit bright how are you finding the watch? I am currently a bit torn between your one (in blackimage ) and the 610 that has a nice virtual training partner.
  • Oi! Stop picking on the watch, you lot! I'll be honest, I didn't choose the colour... but it grows on you after a while and it's easy to find in the dark! 

• h vavoom wrote (see)
    I've just got to delurk at this point! Great running and all round health improvement Steve, you should be proud of yourself. Two points:
    I wouldn't get hung up on the VO2 max thing, you run pretty well on it whatever the number
    And
    I LOVE the watch, v jealous. Makes mine look very slow and boring.
    Enjoy the next few weeks and remember to smile round every step of Paris. Stay safe and healthy

Thanks for the lovely comment Vavoom!

Yeah, I'm not overly worried about the VO2 max score. For one, as you say, it doesn't appear to be holding me back particularly so if I'm performing as I need to to  reach my goal then at the end of the day it is just a number! Secondly, as Sam says, it was taken during a test on an exercise bike and I am a runner... go figure! But it was a really interesting day, all the same and I'm pleased I went image

Haha, at least someone other than me likes the watch! Which one do you have?

As for the smiling, I don't think I've stopped since the start of the competition... no plans to stop nowimage

• Malcs wrote (see)

I will need to check with Ady but as I understand it, in this plan poppadoms are the equivalent of fruit in Weight Watchers - you can eat as many as you like! 

Well done on the running btw. Your progress has been quite spectacular. You said not so long ago that you wanted my 10K time - I don't think you're going to have to wait very long!

PS. As an act of solidarity I plan to carbo load alongside yourself, Ady, RRR and the others prior to your HM. It's the least I can do. 

Awesome news... I'm off to the curry house tomorrow then...

Thanks mate, I've been surprising myself to be honest! It is actually almost frustrating to know how far below my potential I have been running up until now!! All I can say to anyone reading this thread that is a novice like me is to find a decent plan and really do stick to it and you'll be amazed at the progress you make... All these "proper" runners talk about doing particular sessions and avoiding "junk miles"... Think I'm starting to understand what they mean now!

Mate, I'd be offended if you didn't carb-load with us... poppadoms all round.

• jenf wrote (see)

Blimmey...I turn my back for one day, and I've got PAGES to catch up on. image

Interesting question you raised about running in the wind Steve, can you direct it again to Sam, she may have missed it in amongst all the other info, and I'd really like to know ...ta.

Hi Jen!

Well you did say you were missing your bedtime read... I was only trying to helpimage

Yes, Sam or any other experienced runners out there, what is the best way to deal with running in really strong winds?? Should you lean in to reduce wind resistance or maintain form?

Actually, while we're asking questions, what is the best way to deal with hills? I was told once to look at the floor just in front of your feet so that, psycologically, you can't see how far you have to go up the hill... but, again, is it better to maintain form?

• DrS2 wrote (see)
    Great progress Steve!
    Apart from being a bit bright how are you finding the watch? I am currently a bit torn between your one (in blackimage ) and the 610 that has a nice virtual training partner.

Thanks Doc image

Overall the watch has been great. There was one day when the pacings were seriously off and all over the place, but I suspect that was something to do with the signal and would have been the case whatever the model - I don't think it was something specific to the particular watch...

I used the intervals function on it for the first time today and it was great, really worked well and made the session a hell of a lot easier than last time when I tried it combining the watch and the stopwatch function on my phone!!

So no complaints and it has done everything I have asked for it. There are still probably loads of features I haven't even touched yet - I know for a fact that the heartrate band is still sitting in the box!

On the other hand, I may not be the best person to ask as this is the first GPS watch I have owned so I have no basis of comparison - I used to use running apps on my phone before to track apps. One thing I can state categorically is that it is a lot better than those. 

• Training - Week 8

Tuesday - 4 MILE JOG (9:45-10:30M/M)

Recovery jog day... and I needed it! After the fast track session on Friday and the 14 miles (avec sprint finish) on Sunday I had decided, somewhat foolishly, to spend my rest day at the pool.

Nothing wrong with that at all, I just went along to do a few lengths and chill out. This would have been fine, but I got a bit carried away and did 40 lengths of the 25m pool, which worked out as a kilometre. That's not a huge distance by any means and some of you are probably thinking "so what?" but I am not a swimmer. I am much more adept, upon entering the water, at going down than at going across. So that was a foolishly long way for me and, overall, the three sessions caught up with me a bit.

As a result, I've been a bit tired and achy this week. Nothing major and nothing that has slowed me down but I haven't been bouncing around like Tigs!

The jog was just the right session for me and I was pleased, as the sage and wise amongst you said in the first couple of weeks when I was moaning about having to go slow, for the slower pace. You can all say "I told you so" nowimage

I did the four miles nice and easy and actually tried to take it easier and easier.  I came home with the following splits in the bag:

Mile 1 - 9:41

Mile 2 - 9:50

Mile 3 - 9:51

Mile 4 - 9:54

• Training - Week 8

Thursday - 1 MILE EASY (8:40-9:30M/M) then 5X 1 MILE REPS AT FAST INTERVAL PACE (7:15-7:30M/M) with 2.5MIN RECOVERY JOGS BETWEEN then 0.5 MILE EASY

This was actually supposed to be Wednesday's run but I saw my son on Wednesday (I usually see him on Thursdays) so I decided to leave the session until today instead.

I actually then ended up seeing my son tonight as well, so that plan didn't work out at all well! But seeing my son twice in two nights was such a nice treat...

It has been exceptionally busy at work recently and I have had to work late, go in early, do a lot of travelling to hearings and generally have been grafting a bit! Combin that with a few other things I've had going on and it has been a bit nuts. It has actually been a bit of a struggle just getting out the door for the runs, let alone anything else...

Today I had another full-on day in the office then picked my son up and spent a lovely few hours with him writing a story based in Viking times as part of his homework. He did an amazingly good job of it! I didn't get back from dropping him home until around quarter to nine and it was gone nine by time I actually got out of the door.

I have another hearing tomorrow and I have to be in the office early so I was not exactly full of enthusiasm for this session.  If I'm being brutally honest with myself, this was one of those days when, if I didn't have to tell you all about it, I would definitely have just missed this session and just got an early night. But one of the advantages of doing my training in this way is that there is nowhere to hide!

The run was actually alright and I used the intervals setting on the Garmin for the first time - so much easier than the faffing around I did last time!!

I did find the session pretty tough, but that was only because, what with me being me, I was pushing pretty hard through the intervals...

Actually (honesty time) interval three was mainly spent with me being a complete idiot and trying to race a bus...

I figured, what with all the traffic lights, having to stop to drop off and pick up passengers and the fact that they're not the fastest at the best of times... I could probably have him!

The bus and I passed each other at least seven times on a single road and I actually pulled out a bit of a lead when I took a cheeky shortcut (I figured I was allowed). Unfortunately, the route then put the bus on a bit of a bigger road and it hooned past me and, in despair, I watched it disappear into the distance... only to see the indicator come on and the bus head into another stop - I managed to pass it once more but I think by that point all the passengers had got off and I must have annoyed the bus driver because it went flying off and I didn't see it again!

Aaaaanyway, mile 3 was a little quick as a result and mile 4 was, in consequence, pretty hard going. But I still managed a good time for mile 4 so I wasn't too displeased with myself (let's hope we can say the same about Sam when she reads this!) and, even better, I managed to do the fastest interval of all on mile 5...

I did the 1 mile easy in 9:20. Then these were the mile interval times:

(Target: 7:15 - 7:30m/m)

Mile 1 - 7:16

Mile 2 - 7:13

Mile 3 - 6:53

Mile 4 - 7:08

Mile 5 - 6:41

Finally, I did the half mile at easy pace to finish the session at a pace of 9:13 m/m.

Again, a very pleasing session... but I am off to bed now ready for my early morning! I am definitely going to sleep well tonight image

• Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

but it glows on you after a while and it's easy to find in the dark! 

So it's contagious too image

Totally agree with you remarks about following a proper training plan, previously I've only worried about building up my distance but this year I've been watching my times drop on an almost weekly basis.

Of course that could just be down to the fact I'm tying my laces properly now!image

Keep up the good work.

• HI Steve

I've been following your progress over the past few weeks with increasing awe! I ran Paris 2 years ago (long story!!) and am training now for London, and you seem to be doing some fabulous sessions - way speedier than me - and doing so well fitting it in with your busy lifestyle. I've got a half next weekend (Portsmouth) and am hoping to do it in some 1.50 (PB - post child is 1.40), but I've been injured and am still a long way off that. Anyway, I thought I'd just pop up and say hi - and I'm majorly impressed (are you sure you're not hiding your superman cape somewhere?)

• Malcs wrote (see)

Malc- that's the plan I give the opposition. image

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for all the fab advice image

Ady's plan you have put up actually looks pretty good - I am a serious pasta lover so that, combined with banana sandwiches, was all you needed to say! It all sounds like a great day stuffing my face and... well... I'm all for that!image

As for gels, is it ok to mix types/brands during runs?? I really like the SIS Go gels and they seem really easy to take in without any ill effects but I like a caffeine one every now and then too - this is what I did on the 14 miler and it worked well for me...

And, for the record, they are a pain in the backside to open when you have gloves on! I ended up resorting to ripping at them with my teeth - was getting more than a few strange looks from passing motorists image

Steve

Why don't you stick to SIS GO gels as they do a caffeine one and non caffeine variety (they are otherwise exactly the same). They have 50mg of caffeine in each gel so you could have up to 4 of these in the marathon so perhaps use as last 4 gels? and the others as non-caffeine GO gels. For next weekend use the caffeine one's to see how these feel.

Sweet potatoes looks amazing - chef, lawyer, athlete and dad - wow!

• Steve

Just something to consider for your "dress rehearsal" next weekend is timing of breakfast. I spoke with runner’s world to get an idea of when you are likely to be leaving hotel on 7th April (morning of Paris marathon just in case you forgot!). This is probably going to be around 7am for your 8.45am start so perhaps you will need to be at breakfast for 6am so that this can be relaxed meal. So for your  half next weekend which starts at 10am perhaps you want to consider also sitting down to having breakfast at 2hr 45 mins but this allows a much more civilised time of  7.15pm! All snacks after this should be same as for Paris.

• William

Here is a cut and paste from an earlier post on Steve's thread I wrote, it may be useful if never used gels. It is trial and error for flavour and consistency.

For those other first timers to a marathon you need to consider what type of gel you are going to use. For example, one with water already in it and hence don’t need to drink with it, these gels are described as something between a drink and a gel but they will also be heavier to carry (as have more water in them) or ones without water added so they have a thicker consistency but is lighter to carry but more concentrated in month & you need to drink 150ml or more of water with it.

Most, if not every brand of gel, does a caffeine gel and the same gel but without the caffeine. However the decision if using caffeine is how much you need and wish to use to have a good effect. These gels range usually between 30-50mg of caffeine but some used more heavily in cycling have 100mg per gel (CNP cola gels, these may be useful for those that what a bigger boost but you may only use say 1-2 of these in the race and use other non-caffeine gels for the rest of the race). Here are a few examples for Steve:

• Powerbar (powerbar.co.uk): Have 3 main gels. Powergel and powergel fruit (some real fruit juice added) with 26/27grams of carb per gel but need to drink with this, no caffeine in these. If you want one with lighter consistency then powergel hydro also 26g of carbs but no water needed. Or as an alternative to a  gel powerbar do the powerbar shots (sweets with 5 g of carb per sweet and these have caffeine in them). These sweet suits those that like to drip feed their fuel in the race (so rather than consuming a gel 2 per hour you are taking a sweet every 10minutes or so. A portion these have 75mg of caffeine.

• Or there is science in sport (www.scienceinpost.com) which have the GO gels with 22g of carb per gel, no water need with these and can buy with or without caffeine (50mg  caffeine per gel).

• Highfive (highfive.co.uk): choice of isogel (23g of carbs with or without 30mg of caffeine) or energy gels with or without caffeine (also 30mg of caffeine) and same carb 23g but the energy gels you need to drink with as thicker consistency.

There are lots of other gels but I have just picked out three brands to make it easier for Steve to choose!