Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• SalisburyLad wrote (see)

lombster

3:15

Curly

AGF ( quite a bit behind Curly ) 

jelleybaby hopes for sub 4

Barbie hopes to be a 'proper' sub 4:00 hour runner - last year I sneaked under at 3:59:46 image so this year I am aiming for 3:50

toby3

Daniel Bates - looking at under 4h, but I be happy with with 4h-4h30 to be honest as well. :P

SalisburyLad - main aim is to run the whole way without stopping .. if I can do that around 4:45 will be very happy

just happy to get around and enjoy the day

• Just worked it out. (Sunday 29th Jan - Sat 02. Feb), I ran 79.28km/49 miles. Not bad I thinks. :P

• Barbie1976 wrote (see)
    SalisburyLad wrote (see)

lombster

Curly

Charlotte Davey - around 3.35

Barbie hopes to be a 'proper' sub 4:00 hour runner - last year I sneaked under at 3:59:46 image so this year I am aiming for 3:50

toby3

Daniel Bates - looking at under 4h, but I be happy with with 4h-4h30 to be honest as well. :P

SalisburyLad - main aim is to run the whole way without stopping .. if I can do that around 4:45 will be very happy

Well done Toby and Poohbear with your new P.B'simageimage

Lombster - welcome back.

My 50 mile run on Saturday became a 44 mile run because of course changes due to the flooding along the Thames, enjoyed it though a little tired now!

• I'm a lurker who also did this one as my first marathon last year in 4:42 - definitely want to be around 4:30 this year - maybe even 4:25! I'm remembering how hard the training gets for the next two months too...

lombster

Curly

toby3

Minniemonster

lombster

Curly

toby3

Kerrance - Ditto SalisburyLad - first time doing a full marathon - want to enjoy the experience.

• MWW - so sorry to hear about your loss - you have had a really awful few weeks.

Glad to see everyone is still running well - I must remember to stop comparing myself to you all as I keep going into panic mode !

I did the Mayhill Massacre yesterday - a 9 mile off road hill and mud fest . Enjoyed every minute of it and feel great today so  hopefully it bodes well for the Newport Half in 4 weeks - I would love to get a new PB.

Longest run so far due this weekend at 14 miles - fingers crossed

Have a good week everyone x

• Massive thank you to everyone who responded to my plea for advice - I hadn't thought about the increased mileage slowing me down, or the temperature, doh! I'll keep the faith and stick to the high mileage, hopefully things will come right before marathon day. The little scare has also motivated me to sort my diet out - bit less wine, chocolate and curry, double doh!!

Never listened to music during a race personally, I spend the run thanking every Marshall I see and every supporter who cheers; that keeps me higher than any tune can. Would definitely be up to meet at Travelodge before race - great opportunity to say thanks to you lot for all the helpful advice and encouragement.

lombster

Curly

Barbie hopes to be a 'proper' sub 4:00 hour runner - last year I sneaked under at 3:59:46 image so this year I am aiming for 3:50

Gloryboy sub 4 but be nice nearer to 3.30

toby3

Kerrance - Ditto SalisburyLad - first time doing a full marathon - want to enjoy the experience. 

• Aghh - can't seem to copy and paste on my lovely tablet, so I'll add my fingers crossed time when I'm on the'proper' computer. Or if anyone keen, can you put me down for between 5:30 and 6:00.

Would love to meet up on the Saturday, but will have to see what the rest of the family want to do (daughter is keen to visit the Choccywoccydoodah shop!) Mind you, we have to collect our race numbers on the Saturday, don't we?

lombster

Curly

Barbie hopes to be a 'proper' sub 4:00 hour runner - last year I sneaked under at 3:59:46                         so this year I am aiming for 3:50

toby3

B&T

• morning all well 10 mile for me yesterday and 5 today then a short 4 miles recover run on the treadmill Wednesday whole run took me 1:35:52 Avg pace of 9:24m/m so very pleased

there is only one disadvantage to running this quick i get less weight watcher activity points so actually have to do more exercise down another 1.5 pounds at the weigh in yesterday putting me down to 10st 10lbs  which is good in some ways but not in other as i am now supposed to be just maintain the weight loss so will have to increase my food intake slightly till i get it right

• Morning all, had a rest day yesterday and planning to go out soon this morning, but have a very unsettled westie on my lap who hates the high winds and hail and is now somewwhat scared!!

Well done on the weight loss Toby3 are you at your 'correct' weight now then if you are maintaining. or do you mean keep losing at a set amount? Are there issues with fat turning to muscle weighing more etc etc - never quite know whether to believe it or not.....I think a square cube of fat weighs less than a square cube of muscle though???

Visit to Choccywoccydooda sounds good.........image

Hope the niggles are ok, anyone injured.

MWM thinking of you.

lombster

Curly

Barbie hopes to be a 'proper' sub 4:00 hour runner - last year I sneaked under at 3:59:46                          so this year I am aiming for 3:50

toby3

B&T

Poohbear - just to cross the finish line with a smile on my face will be an achievement - dont care how long it takes

lombster

Curly

Barbie hopes to be a 'proper' sub 4:00 hour runner - last year I sneaked under at 3:59:46                          so this year I am aiming for 3:50

toby3

B&T

Poohbear - just to cross the finish line with a smile on my face will be an achievement - dont care how long it takes

Fixed it image

• kerrance wrote (see)

lombster

Curly

toby3

Curly45 wrote (see)

lombster

Curly

toby3

B&T

Kathy H  as it is my first, I should just do this!

Fixed it image

• Just editing to put myself back on the list...

lombster

Curly

toby3

Minniemonster

B&T

Kathy H  as it is my first, I should just do this!

Fixed it image

• Jelly baby according to the leader of the meeting my body fat thingy in now correct i got told off for losing again this week but to be honest i wouldn’t mind dropping just another 3lbs to get to 10st 7lbs that would be 3st but i don’t want to go any lower I’ve upped my Pro-points allowance this week so hopefully that at will enable me to stay the same weight as i am next week but it all a bit trial an error at the moment to see what i need to eat to maintain the weight without putting any thing on

course when the Brighton training ends then i have to look at it again as although i will be running the same amount of times a week i won’t be covering such big mileage or be out for so long so won’t be burning of so much off

• Back in the gym today to get my body moving again. The usual 10km cycle was done to get to the gym and back (339 Calories). Started with a 12 minute warm up on the treadmill and jogged 1.67km (1 mile) and burnt 143 calories. After strecthing my muscles I went back on the treadmill to try a new techique I haven't done since my cycling racing days 12 years ago. I did another 1.6km (1 mile) jog, and then after that I did 200 meters at a very fast pace, then 200 meters at a jogging pace, then 200 meters at a very fast pace and so on. I did this 13 times before resuming a steady jogging pace before cooling down. This is to improve my heart muscles when I need that extra power during the race. In the end, I did 45 minutes, and ran/jogged 7.44km (4.63 miles), and burnt 641 calories. After that, I got back on the cycling machine and did 35 minutes, cycled 17.14km (10.65 miles) and burnt 318 calories. After that I did some weights (Chest Press and Leg Extensions). I also had a right result when I weighed myself, and went from 77.7kg to 76.9kg (12 stone), so I am very happy with that and I am on track to losing some of my weight.

CALORIES BURNT: 1441 calories 

KM's RAN: 9.11

MILES RAN: 5.66

CYCLED KMs/MILES: 27.14/16.86

• Brightons gonna be my first marathon mega excited looking at all your comments saying how good it was last year . Does anyone cover the whole 26.2 miles in training ?
  • Lee I dont - I do several time on feet runs (e.g. run for as long as I expect to take for the marathon, but as the pace is slower that might be 20-22 miles), but I have a lot of running behind me to enable that. For your first I would say get up to 20 miles and see how long that takes you and what the recovery is like (you shouldnt need to spend the rest of the day in bed for example but you will be tired).

Very experienced marathon runners do cover 26.2 in training, but they recover very well. Other options include doing 20 and then another run later in the day of 6.2, but again I wouldnt for your first one.

• Thanks curly - at the moment I'm doing 2x 7.5 in the week . The around 12-15 on a weekend cheers for the advice .
  • Lee- as Curly 45 says it is often more about 'time on your feet' rather than covering the actual distance itself. I have only done one marathon before many years ago and I think I did 2 runs of 21/22 miles but made sure I had enough time to recover. Enjoy your training! There's a wealth of experience in the runners on this thread, excluding me, so when you have seem time scroll through it and soak up the knowledge and information.
  • 5 miles done have to say i am looking forward to Thursday as it's a rest day what with the race on Sunday and going to the park run Saturday to keep the O/H company and the run tomorrow I've now run every day since last Thursday legs are beginning to say enough, enough

Lee no never don the full 26.2 miles in training the first year i did Brighton i only did 2 x 20 and 1 x 22 have got crazier over the years though and included a lot more 20 mile runs but still only one 22 don't get fixated on the distance as time on your feet is as important

• Probably the last thing on your minds but I'm just wondering is anyone going to do Brighton marathon 2014? image
  • I'm tempted to apply because it's available to do so at the exbo. It's also relatively easy to get to from home and we only have one marathon here a year

Obviously, this may well change depending on how I get on.........
  • Tillstar !!! Let's get 2013 over first! image had a good 7 miles today - was surprised at how short it felt, even with the wind directly into my face for the last few miles. Shins have been niggling, but with some new stretches and by wearing my calf guards felt okay. Feeling pretty positive tonight image
  • Oh and thank you to whoever added me to the times table (Toby?)
  • B&T your welcome

Tillstari always go in to the Exbo with no intention of entering next year’s race and so far have somehow managed to come signed up i may run it next year just to say i did the first 5 years but I'M not shore really need to give up this marathon lark far to time consuming or maybe just run a different one i think it will depend on how much more they try to make it like London last year it seemed they might as well call themselves London 2 with having to collect your number asking how much we would be willing to pay for seats by the finish i can see them trying to make it a ballot only entry system before long

• Lee As a first timer last year I did 2 18 mile runs and 1 20 mile run. Found them very hard, but was fine on marathon day. Many people in the race had done far less training and it was very obvious! So if you do a few around this distance you will be fine.

• Lee -  another thing I found great was to put your name on the front of whatever you're wearing (vest/T-shirt), and then people shout your actual name! It made such a difference to me in the last few miles of London. This year Oxfam have sent out iron on letters with each sponsorship pack so my name is on the Tshirt all done - ready and waiting! Hope the training is going well - just take it easy there's still a lot of weeks of running to do!image