Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• Mike what work do you do anything interesting?
    Interview back in printing which I was in for twenty years, bit stressful and agro but hopefully might pay abit more than yesterdays interview at Tarmac.
    Nice run to work in a blizzard this morning with daughter. image Will miss my commute!

• mcs - workwise I am a business adviser and chartered accountant, although I do less of the traditional accounting than most. Right now busy in getting some funding into a business I set up with a partner 2 years ago.......never done till the money is in the bank in this environment!

• Looking round there are alot of folk losing their job and the government is ploughing money into big construction and road jobs to try and keep things bouyant but the high street is dead on its knees.

• Morning all

mcs - keep thinking positive - who's to say that you won't find something even better than what you had previously... all fingers, toes and paws are crossed for you here!

75 minute bike ride for me today - bit blowy out, my quads are gonna have to earn their lunch! image

• I did 7 miles on the treadie this morning, because I had to be on this course. I had to leave home at 5:10, that's dedication for you.

Not easy but sorted.

Just got 20/20 on my multiple guess exam, now awaiting practical.

Everything crossed on the jobs front for you boys.
  • I managed a 7m GA run last night in the wind and drizzle/sleet.

Felt quite tired so will rest again today....

Been taking my HR just as I wake up for the past couple of mornings i.e. while still horizontal in bed. So far, two consecutive days at 57bpm - anyone else do this?

• RR, flinkin blip what time were you up?

Mike, I did until I realised I was bradycardic

• 4:30 Choisty, but that meant leaving everything ready last night, and military precision. I am an early person though, tomorrow I will go to Pilates at 8 before a meeting at 10 [bit of a lie in there!]

Mike I do that and it's a top indicator for me.  I am usually 46-48, 50 sometimes, and up to 53 when I muck about too much putting BBC news on for the clock [don't laugh!], and then haven't time to relax again.  If I go over 55 I've either had caffeine or am recovering from something requiring respect, or am fighting a bug. 

When it's back to 46 like today after Sunday, I'm happy.

• Morning

Yip Mike - I take mine most mornings too - normal for me 48 - 56, anything above that and I take it easy! (ok - not that I do much else these days LOL - not much longer now though - "official" training starts for me 4th March whoop whoop)

2 hour session for me today - wimped out and went on my turbo yesterday - was feeling really smug when I looked out of the porch window and saw not only a howling gale but also horizontal sleet - not good on a bike!  I think I prefer running when it's like that - can't get blown off!  Today is however, a stunning day so I'd best get a move on!

Have a 2:24 marathon runner coming for a massage at the end of the month - really looking forward to chatting with him and finding out his take on the massive miles vs training smart debate that we often have in our house.  Will pass on any tips I glean ...

Hope everyone has a positive day! image

• SB...purposeful practice...but lots of it, so even slow runs should be about technique, but for a very fast marathon you can't beat miles

• Choisty - shall we start a debate about high miles or low miles for marathon results?

It's a tough one because I know you are about 40-45mins faster than anyone else on here so it is difficult to compare.

Just to spice it up (and confuse the debate!), I sometimes wonder if age grade isn't ultimately the best measure?

• Morning Team, oops its afternoon where did that day go. Been awake and up very early 3.30am a little stressed, not sure why I knew what was coming really.
    Met the Dutch boss this am. March 29th was the office close date but I am leaving next Friday, leave the other chap to clean up. I have the sniff of a couple of jobs and so thought I would be a pro athlete for a couple of weeks as I have a few weeks of redundancy to live on.  Had three interviews this week and looking good for two, results tomorrow. Not good money but better than the dole.  Enjoyed the run to work this am and looking forward to the run home and its getting lighter so great.
    Not really running enough long miles so the GG is going to be tough me thinks to race, may just have to try and keep up with Oscarr.........image

• Mike I like your attitude!  

And mcs yours is even better.

• Nice middle distance intervals tonight as follows:

3m progressive w/u then 5x (3min tempo followed by 3min LT); finally 1.25m c/d.

So the pacing (min/m) for the middle section (3 mins each): 8:22/7:04; 8:45/7:10; 8:28/7:03; 8:22/7:05; 9:50/7:29 (last set spoilt by having to stop for cars!)

This breaks down as about 45 mins of hard running out of a total 67 mins over 8 miles and the change in pace over an undulating course makes it more demanding each time.

I used this just before my last 10k race and now Wokingham HM on Sunday (weather permitting - snow risk apparently!) 

• Hi all.  It has been a very difficult time and I've been struggling, but I'm working through things.  Getting some outside help for once in my life.  I've been trying to keep up with the running because I don't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater.  Sleep deprivation isn't very condusive to marathon training, but I've made some progress and am sleeping better again, thankfully.

I'll get through it.

• I hope things improve Ten

Mike nice session, mine last night was 5 x 1500m all in 4:46 which was nice and even...good luck for wokingham

MCS, eat, sleep, run...your now a pro!

• Hi Ten - glad to hear things are on the up.  We all need help from time to time, there's no shame in that!  Hope things continue to improve for you...

A weekend of frictions, stretching and glutes ahead for me - all sounds a bit dodgy until you put it into the context of sports massage image

Someone do a few miles for me will you! Please, thank you.

• I added on a sly extra mile today SB you can have that one for starters

• For me it was 7.35 miles this morning of which 2@7:40, 2@7:20, yep it probably translates to MP at best on land!

Very fun though.

Off for Tui Na now.

Ten I think I must have missed something. Sending light.
  • Hey Ten keep your chin up mate.......life is a journey and very often uphill and rough but you will get over the top and come flying down the other side, just doesn't always feel like that particularly in the middle of the dark nights. I have been waking up very early and reading and just needing to get up and get going as lying in bed restless drives me crazy. Hope things improve.  Health, family, home, running, friends and faith that things will be okay. Keep your chin up.image
    In the office next week on my own as my boss is travelling abroad and then I quit!!!! I will be as usual caring for all the UK and IRish customers, telephone, email, fax and making specials, posting them out invoicing, chasing money and yet I am not needed, what a joke!!! Up to 200k for February, going out on a high anyway. Hopefully have a job to go to very soon............fingers crossed.

• MCS, make sure you take care of you and your family first next week, you get little or no thanks for extra effort now

• Thanks everyone.

Reikki - you didn't miss anything.  I went AWOL.

MCS - as you say, things are usually not so bad in the day as they seem at 4:00am. Unfortunately, the constant lack of sleep has a serious knock-on effect to mental well-being.  I've had to take sleeping tablets for the first time in my life and seek help with the worst of the problems I was facing.  Once I was able to start thinking straight, I was able to face-up to it and get some sort of resolution.  This helped me to feel better, and I'm back to sleeping without medication.  I'm not through the tunnel by a long way, but at least I'm making some progress and accepting that I need help.

I'm pleased to say that I'm enjoying running again.  It was no fun when a run became a two-hour session of beating myself up, but I'm past that now and trying to get back on track with the marathon training.

Today I did 20m in 3:22:45 in the continuous rain/sleet.  It was so much better than the ice, floods and high winds that have characterised most long runs this year!  I started out at around 10:45 pace and came home running 9:24 pace in the last few miles, averaging 10:10 pace overall.

All being well, I'll do a 6m recovery run tomorrow to complete another 50m week.

It's Chinese New Year, so I'm looking forward to plenty of "recovery fuel" later today image

• Ten I missed you.  Sounds like you are back and battling through with a progression run in sleet.  Yowsers. 

I'm trying to watch the Live stream from Sheffield here, but can only get it on my phone, not on my laptop, soooooo frustrating.

Went to Pilates this morning is all so far.

• Wokingham HM report:

Cold, wet, windy but better than forecast - just!

Short story:

Started off from 1:25:xx rank (just to avoid the crowds and not wanting to be out of position for the Berkshire Road Running Championship which works off gun time).

Fast start and kept going so PB at 5m and 10m distance and held it for a 4:05 min PB at the end 1:30:14. Avg 6:53 min/m for official race distance but I ran slightly further as you do in these races

Just didn't have the legs over last 300m uphill to get those 15 secs, but pretty chuffed as you can imagine.

I think I was 2nd V60 overall which may have got me the Berks Champs (V60) HM 2013 gold medal but that will be confirmed next week some time.

Next w/e Bramley 20m - will work out a race plan when I know how the legs feel on Wed/Thurs next week.

• Excellent running Mike.  You can't do better than the fastest you can run, and PBs on the way too!

If the weather was anything like it was around Hackney Marshes you did good.

I managed 17.84 today in 3:02 - was supposed to do 13 @ around 10 min miling, then go down to 9 or even 8:30 for 4, but couldn't do the faster pace into the wind whilst knackered, only managed 9:30 pace then, plus a jog home afterwards [was meant to do 17].

Hard work.  

• Thanks RR - miles in the bank for you and I'm sure you had the MP effort without the pace to prove it, so I'd settle for that.....

• Brilliant running and congrats to Mike, RR and Ten for all running long and a PB for Mike well done.  I got up at 5.37 Sunday morning as my OH had woken me up and went out at six in the dark head torch on and in a snow sleety cold morning set off and did 17.1 miles in 2.37 so happy with that, was struggling abit for the last mile or three to keep going but kept the chimp in the box and made it home without stopping so mentally tough but made it. Work now well one week and I am on my own in the office as the other guy is in Belgium working all week. Fun, not going to be doing too much as they dont need me!!! image  Stay sane and have a good week.

• Mike, nice run and fingers crossed for the medal. 

Looks like soem excellent long runs out there this weekend dispite the weather and as it's marathon season, I didn't avoid the driving rain either and it went like this.  Met with my two traiing partners at 8am Sunday, we agreed start slow and get faster for 18M, especially as one of us had run XC the day before getting silver in the hampshire league! Anyway they went off like startled horses, leaving me in their wake at 3M, I noted that I was running at 6:30 pace!  I continued to run at a good out pace of 6:45 until 9, then upped it to marathon pace for the 9 miles back, which went well, however I had misjudged the distance finishing the 20M in 2:08.  Still it bodes well for Bramley next weekend.  When I got home my daughter talked me into another 2M with her, which were just under 10min/mile pace! and were the best miles I ran last week out of a total of 92

• mcs I am impressed with all of the above.

Just got out of pool after a mad Pilates class thus morning too!

Much punting with a large pole.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi folks. Thinking of you all out there in the rain, snow and sleet!

Ten: there is light at the end. Sounds like you've broken the back of the problem. 4:00am is not a good time to consider issues, always seems to be the hardest time of the day, particularly if your lacking sleep. Good to see you still out there and pressing on with the running. I find it helps with stress.

I've been signed off work for another 4 weeks, looks like I've got a herniated disk in my lower back... Bummer. Minor issue in the big scheme of things really.

Choisty: loving the bit about the 2m with daughter! Can't wait till Thomas can start running. Built like a rugby player though!