Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• I'm hoping not as I posted my application this evening. I read somewhere on the Run Britain site that online entries close once 500 entries have been reached, so I presume postal entries is the only way now.

I did email them this afternoon to check but haven't had a reply yet!!
  • Blimey that was quick...good luck to anyone waiting for postal confirmation

• As the entries co-ordinator, i can confirm that there have been over 680 entries online and today (Tuesday) I received the first of the postal entries (about 50 of them) which were all sent 1st class on Friday.  Doesn't say much for much for our postal service.

Sorry for the delay in replying Jamie but I gor got home form the club committee meeting at 11pm!

Although there are 1100 places, I need to shut the online entry in case the online plus postal entry numbers go over 1100.  And since its taken 4 days for the 1st postal ones to arrive, and in that time nearly 65%  of the places have been taken online, the online entries needed closing soon.  It would be easier if all entries were either online or postal!

• I sent my entry in the post last night (1st class), so hopefully I'll be in. Just got to keep checking if the cheque gets banked I guess to know for sure.

I agree, it would be easier if all entries were submitted one way or the other, preferably online. Anyway, good luck to everyone who have entered and to those who are entering.

• Latest update from the website;

2013 Online Entries Now Closed!

Please note that online registration for the 2013 Abingdon Marathon is now closed.

The speed which the online places fill necessitates that a cap is placed on the online entries. Some places therefore still remain via postal entry route. Please get you entry in as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.

• Gazelle

Its as flat as a road race can be.  This is the Garmin profile for it:

/members/images/433328/Gallery/Race_Abingdon_Marathon_16-10-2011__Elevation.jpg

Its not as bad as it looks if you check the scale! There is a slight uphill in the 1st km and theat 10km and 24km.  You can see from the pattern that the lap starts at 10km and 24km.  Then there is a gentle climb back from the river to the finish over the last 4-5km, but only 15metres or so.  The "steepist" part is the slope out of the subway at 39km but its only 10m long or so.

• Cheers old Shadowfax, I gulped at first when I saw the graph!

I will be trying to get my 10k and half time down between now and summer then roll on for 16 weeks of full on marathon training. That reminds me to keep my long runs up, off to do 12 miles tomorrow which doesn't sound that much now....
  • Has anyone sent in a postal entry? How and when do you know if you're in if you did? I sent mine on Tuesday and I've got no way of knowing if I'm in or not yet. The website is still showing that postal entries are being accepted, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It doesn't help that the 'Check your details' page on the website that is supposed to list the entrants, is currently empty!

• Jamie- The web site says if your  cheque gets cashed then your in. The entries sold out quite quick online which should have been put on a spreadsheet now so hopefully in the next few days we should start seeing who is in. If postal entries are still open then that's a good sign, goodluckimage

• Jamie- spare a thought for the person who has to manually enter all your entries in order to put the list up on line.  The postal ones for affiliated runners all need checking against the EA database to check they are truly members and so entitled to the £2 off.  Then there is the small matter of a day job to fit in, plus answer lots of emails from entrants....image

• Well hotel is booked non-refundable so no choice nowimage
  • I've been told that I have a place but I'm waiting for the cheque to be banked before I get overly excited about it. Looking forward to it though!

• Cheques has now been cashed, so I'm officially in now!! Can't wait to get stuck into the training and experiencing my first marathon. Good luck everyone.

• The entry list on the website has been updated to show the current entries. Seeing my name on the list makes it all real now (this will be my first marathon!).

Now looking forward to getting stuck into the training!

• Been debating this for a few days, then left my entry form at work on Friday so had to wait all weekend to post it. Finally got it posted last night, a gamble I know, but you've gotta be in it to win it (or at least get a place, no chance of winning it! lol)

• Paul

Don't be too quick to admit defeat - I am working on a handicapping system that takes acount of body mass index which I am confident will make me all but unbeatable!

BB

• Hmm BB you might be on to something there! That would compliment my "beer belly weekends" perfectly! (I'm kicking back at the mo as did the Portsmouth Coastal Marathon in December)
  • The Abingdon marathon is now full- sold out in 27 days only!

• And I got innnn! Woopwoop! image

Good luck to anyone else who's doing it!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

There are at least three threads on this one - perhaps we all ought to meet up here?

Looking forward to this.

• T Rex wrote (see)

There are at least three threads on this one - perhaps we all ought to meet up here?

Looking forward to this.

Seems a sensible idea..cant wait t start regular chat about this one, it really helps to stay motivated swapping ideas  and supporting each other..image

• Yes helped me big time last year, even if I did the bore the pants off you allimage
  • Hello Mr Rex, fancy meeting you on hereimage So, we are both in for the Abingdon/ Snowdon week then? We'll definitely earn that pint in Padarn Lake hotel on Sunday 26th October.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

This marathon is one of the UK's classics.  A PB course and with a higher than normal contingent of fast club runners.  Expect to be further down the finishers' list than in other marathons.

Hi brer.  You're notching up the marathons lately, I've noticed.  Yes, also got local LDWA Challenge event 27+ miles and Cardiff half in October!

• T Rex wrote (see)

This marathon is one of the UK's classics.  A PB course and with a higher than normal contingent of fast club runners.  Expect to be further down the finishers' list than in other marathons.

Hi brer.  You're notching up the marathons lately, I've noticed.  Yes, also got local LDWA Challenge event 27+ miles and Cardiff half in October!

Thats me in the last 10 then image

Doing VLM first following P&D  schedule , so a few weeks off then it will be time to start again..I think the weather will be slightly different for training leading up to Abingdon somehow image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Night Nurse - at VLM expect to be far higher up the finishers' list than normal!!

• Greetings Trex and Brer Rabbit - count me in for the Abo/Snod week (well 6 days!) Anyone else???

• Me but I'll be on the sidelines cheering at snowdonimage
  • Very sensible approach MG15.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Nice to see some familiar faces here again. I hadn't planned on running, but as VLM training hasn't gone to plan, I'm considering it. Unfortunately I'll have to keep an eye out on here for a spare entry.