P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Ha yes. amongst other things.

Just trying to plan my life around my running, tomorrow its grandson sitting then running club 3.5 there 7 with them then 3.5 on my own

Thurs morning coffee and cake with mate  ( I do alot of that ) then 6 miles then thurs evening  meal out with sister 

Fri 20 miles then night shift

Sat sleep and 6 miles then night shift

sunday sleep then 11 miles then night shift

FFS Whose Idea was this ?

• literatin wrote (see)
    HeOw wrote (see)

** backpedals furiously **  I actually didn't see your post, I hadn't read back that far (been ironing yer see).  Err do you do twatty pilates then...?! image  It's awesome innit...? image

Haha... for proper twattery you want yoga. A friend of mine used to go to a class where they all had to imagine they had snakes in their vaginas.

Don't need yoga for that - surely?!

Night Nurse wrote (see)

Ha yes. amongst other things.

Just trying to plan my life around my running, tomorrow its grandson sitting then running club 3.5 there 7 with them then 3.5 on my own

Thurs morning coffee and cake with mate  ( I do alot of that ) then 6 miles then thurs evening  meal out with sister 

Fri 20 miles then night shift

Sat sleep and 6 miles then night shift

sunday sleep then 11 miles then night shift

FFS Whose Idea was this ?

NN - bloody hell mate, I was panicking about an 11 miler tomorrow, 4 mile recovery Thursday, 20 miler Friday, rest Sat and then 7 miles with strides Sunday.  You have drawn the short straw. image

• Thank NN, running on a treadmill is never fun but at least it stops me running too fast.

HeOw I slipped a few miles during the snow and felt guilty.  I feel guilty about taking the rest days.  Until I started my current contract two weeks ago I was doing a gym session on the rest days.  And bleeding nipples from running aren't too bad.  Doing 21 miles in compression tights without vasaline is just a world of embarrising pain.

• SR I took to the dreader today for my second recovery run I am sick or running in freezing gales..it wasn't too bad actually plenty going on to watch all sorts of people there and its easy to people watch (be nosey) if you are running slowly..image

Heow its probably not as bad as it looks really its just me and my 19 year old at home and hes not here much so I can do what I want when I want..you have a hubby 3 kids dogs and piles of ironing..image

• Heow - my wife says she knows what you mean about the nipples. Probably one of the only times when I'll admit us men have it easy!

Its funny how the training starts to take over your life isn't it?! Thinking of how to rejig other things to get the training in. I used to have a life before P and D Training. I am going to have some serious making up to do after London!

After some rejigging of my own I managed to get a very bland and perfunctory 14 miles in tonight at 7.15 Average pace overall. Windy, horrible and had a headache. Swapped the recovery to tomorrow and am looking forward to some easy miles.

Great Video NP - hopefully you'll be looking just as strong at London.

• MarkfMarkf ✭✭✭

14 miles for me tonight also Chris @ 7.32 pace. Wonder if your headache is lack of hydration, I had similar on Sat. 

Great vid NP, have you still got snow?

Strong run on the treadmill  SR.

• I think my headache is more to do with the fact that I came home to find my toddler had drawn in biro all over our bedroom wall. The fail safe Ciff didn't budge it. So I need to work out a time to repaint the wall in amongst the training! Ha.

Good to get the 14 out of the way though hey? Just the dreaded 6 mile tempo to see off now!  

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all...hope all ok out there.

14mi today. Looks like it will be cold, dry and sunny. Might wear plasters on my nips or cover with vaseline before setting out this time. Usually I only have problems when wet and windy.

Might actually go into work today, been "working" from home the last few days. We're in between projects at the moment so not a lot going on which is great with all this running.

• Morning from a sardine in tomato sauce on Soya and Linseed **twatty**  bread eating Cheshire housewife.  11.6 miles in da bag.  Nice and easy 9:30m/m but first 7 miles of long steady hill.  Felt good. Pondered how I will feel Friday having to ramp up to MRP miles for another 9.  The jury is out.  I have forced myself to refuel after it as I believe this is one of my failings.  Hence the sardines on poncey toast.  Chai tea too.  Kenyans drink that too, well so it says in the Running with the Kenyans book.  Hark at me, I have two things in common with kenyan athletes.  Chai tea and err, my ability to juggle looking after my brood of barefeet children, mud hut house and running lifestyle.

15W - corn plasters are a good fit for nipple preservation.  Have fun on your 14 miles.

• Chris J77 wrote (see)

I think my headache is more to do with the fact that I came home to find my toddler had drawn in biro all over our bedroom wall. The fail safe Ciff didn't budge it. So I need to work out a time to repaint the wall in amongst the training! Ha.

Good to get the 14 out of the way though hey? Just the dreaded 6 mile tempo to see off now!  

Ahhh Cif cream. If that don't budge it, you will defo need to repaint.  In fact, Cif removes the paint for you.  Evil stuff.  I hope you add an extra mile to your tempo Chris, it's how we roll on here.  Well done on 14 miler and you too Mark.  

Surrey Runner - I would rather run 20 on the road than 10 on a treadmill and I truly mean that.  I managed 2.5k last week and hit the stop button.  I was crying with boredom. Hats off to you.  My friend lives in Perth and has to do a lot of sessions on the treadmill if too hot (she is also following P&D for her marathon).  She always runs cracking races and I believe her steely determination is why - her focus is great.  My focus not so hot, hence why she always beat me! 

• Morning all, the evening chat on here was a bit different last night, I would really need some imagination if I was to take up yoga Lit, at the risk as well of being called a twat, HeOw.  Are you sure you're all not oon the red wine and not the ironing board?

12 miles MLR for me this morning, out of bed by 4.50 and running by 5.05 eekimage  Paces all fairly good, 9+ on the first 5, about 8.40 on the remainder give or take a bit because it's all on uphills and downhills.

Take care 15w, it's a tough running world out there.  HeOw will offer more suitable adviseimage

• JF50 funnily enough, I was sober as a judge.  I don't need alcohol to insult people unfortunately. image  Literatin is my favourite twat though. image (just kidding Lit, you are far from it, you are a shit hot running babe and I will lick your boots if we ever meet).

JF50 - do you HAVE you get up that early to fit it in or are you some kind of masochist?  Respect. I think I was plumping my pillow at 5:05am.  I did get up at 5:15am on Xmas Eve though and ran 7 miles to Tesco, did a shop, left it at customer services and ran 7 miles back.  image

• Nah, white wine and/or gin for me as red keeps me awake. Us serious runners need our sleep.

HeOw, I'm too twatty to even eat bread at all most of the time.

MLR for me tonight with the club (5 miles on my own, then however many the club can be bothered to do). I'm still easing back in to the programme, so haven't decided whether I'm doing sub 55 (12 miles) or 55-70 (14 miles) but either way will take tomorrow off as an extra rest day.

• HeOw wrote (see)

JF50 - do you HAVE you get up that early to fit it in or are you some kind of masochist?  Respect. I think I was plumping my pillow at 5:05am.  I did get up at 5:15am on Xmas Eve though and ran 7 miles to Tesco, did a shop, left it at customer services and ran 7 miles back.  image

Both probably, often run early just to fit everything in a day that needs fitting in.  I'm assuming you went back to customer services at some point or do you leave it for charity!

• wow, some of you guys juggling kids and long working hours whilst doing P&D mara training are awesome. i'm really in admiration of you. i'm 34, work 9-6 M-F, have no dependents and I still find it leaves me pretty knackered most of the time. my biggest concern is trying to fit in social engagements around my runs, and debating with myself how much i can have to drink and still be useful on the next day's run.

Night Nurse, my gf is a nurse also, and the repeated night shifts really take it out of her, so the thought of running 20 miles then going onto work is incredible, kudos to you.

• Afternoon all

Gosh there was plenty of chat on here last night.

I too have moved the week about so will do the 7 miles recovery tomorrow. Unfortunately  spent all last night trying to update my iphone and then put everything back on it.  I'm hopeless at these things and it took hours.  imageOnly doing it cos iphone sick and needs to all be up to date and backed up before they'll do anything with it.

Lots of super running on here yesterday.  I'm amazed at everyones commitment and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that struggles to fit it all in.

• When you have kids you no longer have social engagements. Or a life. So it's all swings and roundabouts! I love them really. Honest.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello - just back from 14mi on 1hr52. Wore plasters on nips but stupid things fell off almost immediately, so went back and caked them in vaseline. Quite enjoyed that to be honest. Anyway, vaseline seemed to work pretty well - was hurting first of all and then wasn't a problem.

HeOw - I have read that Running with Kenyans book - pretty interesting. They eat a lot of that Ugali too, so maybe that's the what we all need. Actually from that book sems there is no one reason the Kenyans are so dominant, there are a multiple of factors but mainly it is desire and hard work.

• HeOw well done on the 11 mile MLR, juggle, bread, twatting, yoga snake and boot lickingimage 

15 West well done on your 14 miles with protected nips looks like your turning in to a vaseline user must be an age thingimage

JF50 Great dark o'clock running and another 12 in the bankimage

LIT Enjoy your MLR tonightimage

Thanks for the comments on the video peepsimage not sure about having nice legs though......

Just back from my MLR 15 miles with 4 miles LT and 1 mile at MP all banked in the VLM Bankimage

• Lots of running done already by you lot,

JF50 the evening chat is always a bit different on here, beats the telly anytime. And bloody hell well done on getting out so early !! Nice paces too.

Heow well done on the 11 and keep the sense of humour it helps when you have so much on your plate..you do well girl..image Last night you were a scouser, I see to day you have described yourslef as a Cheshire House wife...(snob) image

Lit I shall be doing the same as you,  bit on my own and  a bit with club..14 miles to cover one way or another

AG Its easier for me in some ways as I do 3 nights and 1 afternoon a week so can get in a routine I would feel worse if I had to  mix morning/day shifts and night shifts,

Nice 15 NP I guess the snow has gone ?

15W lol..at enjoying the vaseline rubbing in..on a serious note, ouch , it does see to be a problem for male runners, try body glid (shut up Heow) its not as sticky as Vase .

Been to fire tots this morning..a little play group in the fire station opposite where I live..no not for my benefit ( although Tuesday evenings are interesting its practice night for the firemen)  image..I have my grandson till 5.30 and will run later if I have any energy left !!

• 15W, I can recommend using a nail file to toughen the 'arl nips up chuck.  Also, Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream is a far more twatty version of vaseline, only £20 a tube, you could purchase some of that on your next jaunt into Selfridges in The Trafford Centre...  I do remember on one particular long run, I attached my tube of 8 hour cream to my fanny pack where the gels go and off me and me mate trotted, doing our 20 miler around Chester.  It dropped on to the floor on one of the miles and we spent miles 12-18 trying to find it.  It was a great way to relieve boredom. Tip of the Day for you all.  Top athlete me. When I wore my fancy dress to GNR last year (scouse outfit with wig and moustache), the muzzy fell off and I actually ran back against a wall of 40,000 people to find it.  I do worry about my mental state sometimes. 

Anyway, enough of the bollocks chat, well done on 15 miles with a tempo NP, bloody hard that! 

15W - I have read that book a couple of times, it is a cracker.  I agree, the determination they have stems from the fact they really have NOTHING else to be other than athletes.  Great run too. 

Chris, I am not sure I had a social life after age of 19!

• Heow I seem to have gone in a full circle...my social life also stopped at 19 , picked up for a while when the kids grew up, now i find myself back at he beginning with mornings spent  at fire tots..or jumping jacks, a liittle leapy frogs  !! and nights spent at work or running.. image

• Good running today everyoneimage

Ive swapped things about a bit this week so did the LT run, 11 miles with 6 @ LT.

This is the one session where I can really see an improvement in my running. Although the runs are getting longer, they feel far easier than at the start of the plan and my heart rate is staying at about 80% of max where as it was getting up to 90% before xmas. Im starting to actually enjoy these sessions.

I think im going to add a few extra miles this week and try and get the total to 70 to see how it feels.

• NN yep snow gone image just cold with a side wind, sounds like you like looking out every Tuesday nightimage hope you enjoy your run. I could go on about sliding down fire mans poles but I won'timage

HeOw I was married young and a dad at 21 so I know what you mean, everything went on the kids but its nice that they are all grown up now and have there own life's to live.

Mark 1981 well done on the LT run.
  • Allright Gang,

Seemed you all had a good chat on the forum last night. It certainly has put me off yoga image. Some eye wateringly rapid rapid MLRs goin onimage. did my bloody windy and wet 14 yesterday with first 7 at 7.28 and second lot a lot slower averaging me out at 7.58mm with 1000ft of climb.  4 mile recovery lunchtime at a really recovering 8.45mm.

Mark - I loathe LT sessions - need to get my head around them quick though, particularly given I intend to stick 13 of them together a week on Sunday.

• Youll be fine in the race, the adrenaline drags you through most of the 13 miles.

Is it Wrexham for your half? what time are you targetting?

• I'm just back from my MLR. In the interests of being sensible post-injury, I only did 12 miles rather than 14. Or rather because I was late getting home from work and only had time for 4 solo miles before the club run, and had to knock those out a bit quickly to make it in time! Less sensibly, the club run also ended up being a bit speedier than  I'd have planned, so the 12 miles took 1.32, Oops. Felt amazing, though, so I really do feel back on track with the training now,

• I am definitely one on my own, LT sessions are my favourites.  I have to reign myself in on them and stop myself doing them for longer! 

NP - how old were you when you got married?  I was 25 which is considered young nowadays (I am nearly 38).  

Mennania - do you live in Wales?  You will be fine at Wrexham Half, I am sure this training will help us both. 

NN - Fire Tots sound just my cup of tea...  I may have to relocate.

I am starving hungry tonight, had huge bowl of homemade beef stew and mash.  Then had seconds.  Then 3 Mr Kipling angel slices (bloody nice) and two pancakes and two crumpets.  Oh and a chocolate biscuit.

• Literatin - brilliant run!  Can you pace me at Wrexham please!  Glad you are back and I would say the rest from training will have done you the world of good.  I always find I come back faster and fitter if I have a good week off. 

• Hi, thought I would join this, I have just started following P&D 55-70 and will be targeting a sub 3.