The Guardian's new running blog

I'm not a fan of running blogs but this one on The Guardian website could have legs (see what I did there?)

So one of the first questions is what are the best running websites. As I type there are various suggestions including several recommendations for Fetch. No mention of RW.

I wonder what the implications of this are for RW.

Comments

• That will be down to KK, didn't she piss off some Guardian jurno the other day or was that another rag. image

• LOL - kk in charge of PR for RW - maybe that was a mistake ? image

You can always tweet them and tell them of us - but really - do we want soppy Guardian readers on here ? image
  • Well, to be honest, it's not a great website is it?  I like the forum, obviously, but I gave up on the rest of the site long ago.

• Well, I'm a Guardian-reading herbivore and not ashamed!

•  

Muttley wrote (see)

I'm not a fan of running blogs but this one on The Guardian website could have legs (see what I did there?)

So one of the first questions is what are the best running websites. As I type there are various suggestions including several recommendations for Fetch. No mention of RW.

I wonder what the implications of this are for RW.

We will be left to our own evil devices.... Bwaahahahahaha! image

• cougie wrote (see)

You can always tweet them and tell them of us - but really - do we want soppy Guardian readers on here ? image

I used to read the Guardian too, I remember why I stopped...they sacked the gifted picture-editor, and in the same week had a photo on the front page of London fashion week or some such, and relegated an image of Peter Tatchell trying to Citizen's Arrest Robert Mugabe to an inside page.

I really did just look at the pictures.

• Have you considered the Sunday Sport, Mr P?

• Muttley wrote (see)

Have you considered the Sunday Sport, Mr P?

SPORT !!!  Wash your mouth out, anyone would think this is a running forum

• RW got mentioned for the Events Calendar. There was also this in the comments:

Runners World is a good site. The forums can be a good source of information and advice but they do have their fair share of people who are a bit arsey to newcomers. Fortunately, they also have an ignore button.

• Tom77 wrote (see)

RW got mentioned for the Events Calendar. There was also this in the comments:

Runners World is a good site. The forums can be a good source of information and advice but they do have their fair share of people who are a bit arsey to newcomers. Fortunately, they also have an ignore button.

i'd say thats spot on!

• LOL Tom !

Blimey - the Fetchies are out in full force there - I'm suspecting they have a thread on their site about it too.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Mr Puffy wrote (see)

Well, to be honest, it's not a great website is it?  I like the forum, obviously, but I gave up on the rest of the site long ago.

You mean there's more to this site than the forum??  image

• A tad unfair, maybe? I use the Events directory a lot, and the Training section (especially Smartcoach and the calculators). The "5 steps to a sub-2hr marathon" and "25 ways to lace your shoes" articles I can do without but there was a time when I was a beginner and could have found something useful in them.

I know Fetch is highly thought of but I just can't get to like it. Seems a very fussy and busy layout, trying to cram too much into each screen.

But I can see the direction of travel so maybe I'd better try to learn to love Fetch.

• 25 ways to lace shoes?  If that's what it says then it's guilty of hypobole because there was a mathematics paper a while back that calculated there were several million ways to lace up a pair of shoes. Not saying all of them are usefulimage

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Muttley wrote (see)

A tad unfair, maybe? I use the Events directory a lot, and the Training section (especially Smartcoach and the calculators). 

That was more about me than about the site, Muttley!

I don't get on with Fetch either, they're all too damn' nice.

• Steve C amid the winter's snow wrote (see)

25 ways to lace shoes?  If that's what it says then it's guilty of hypobole because there was a mathematics paper a while back that calculated there were several million ways to lace up a pair of shoes. Not saying all of them are usefulimage

If there are millions of ways to tie laces and RW lists 25 ways, then it's guilty of understatement, not hyperbole. Of course, i'm guilty of being a pedantic tool.

• I had a quick squiz over the Fetch forum once.  Looked a bit too much like a knitting circle.  So I just use the training log, which is ace.  image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Tom77 wrote (see)

RW got mentioned for the Events Calendar. There was also this in the comments:

normally the type of newbies that get that response are those who come on proclaiming being able to do some amazing times off no training.

i'm sure they'd get as cold a greeting in the flesh too!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

another non fan of fetch here, I think I went on when it first sprang up, but can't be arsed with all that 'log your miles here' and 'see how you compare' type stuff.
    tbh I only come here for the forums, but do occasionally use the events stuff.
    As for the Guardian well good luck to them. I read that Finn book (running with the Kenyans) , twas OK , if a little self indulgent, which is basically my view on blogs. Good luck to you if you want to read how someone you have a one way conversation with gets on in training. Just not for me.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the actual mag RW used to be good for race listings, then they minimised the section and took out loads of the minor details, so you had to check on the website version of RW instead.

I use a mix of the events on RW and Power of 10 though, just to make sure none of the dreaded ARC certified events creep in.

Tried fetch once or twice, the turnover on the threads is way too fast and the layout  is pretty abysmal. The search facility makes the RW one look like magic.

• never heard of fetch until now. just checked it out. ummmmm, looks like it was built in 1997. I was surprised there wasn't a flashing, rotating logo at the top, and some pictures of cats on it.

Due for a facelift I think.

• It really is a good training log though.  The only time the look of the site got on my tits was recently when an advertising banner was BRIGHT PINK, and rather annoyingly FLASHED a lot when trying to view on a mobile phone.  Instant headache.

AgentGinger wrote (see)

and some pictures of cats on it.

Erm, there's a picture of a cat on it right now!  image

• flock me, you're right! ha.

• Fetcheveryone  and runners world  are  the right and left legs of the same body !

Sometimes i can't tell the difference. 

Except fetchies are shorter and plumper .

• Left & right legs ? I suppose KK is in between them ?
  • They are advertising for people to write for the blog. Non-paid.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Dustin wrote (see)

another non fan of fetch here, I think I went on when it first sprang up, but can't be arsed with all that 'log your miles here' and 'see how you compare' type stuff.
    tbh I only come here for the forums, but do occasionally use the events stuff.
    As for the Guardian well good luck to them. I read that Finn book (running with the Kenyans) , twas OK , if a little self indulgent, which is basically my view on blogs. Good luck to you if you want to read how someone you have a one way conversation with gets on in training. Just not for me.

I quite enjoyed Running with the Kenyans, but I do agree with Dustin on blogs.