Your diet?

well... got talking the other day about diet blah blah and how much i eat. lets just say it amazed some people how much i can consume on a normal running day.

mind you i have got an exceptionally fast metabolism (2/3 a day sort of person)

just wondered what people consume/how much?

ill start off, (this is pretty much every day as im running 5 days a week at the moment)

breakfast- 2 weetabix dried fruit and honey topping with semi skimmed milk

10:30- ham sandwich (whole meal bread), packet crisps, 1 apple, 1 banana, sometimes handful of nuts

1:30- two ham sandwiches (whole again), crisps, yogurt, nuts again

5:30- maybe another banana or nuts or something along those lines.

7ish- hot homemade meal consisting of meat, sometimes pasta, small portion of vedge.

8/9- some biscuits (mmm hobnobs) to go with cuppa T

oh also consume 4 cuppas during the day (with milk and 2 sugar)

i dont really mind opinions on my diet but it works and im currently 10st 4lb and steady not climbing or dropping.

Comments

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Your diet is not a million miles away from mine (no crisps, more veg and cake!)

The thing that most strikes me is the near absence (ok apart from the crisps, biscuits and sugar in your tea) of high fat high sugar junk that most people nowadays seem to graze on throughout the day and conveniently forget to acknowledge as part of their daily diet. McDonald's breakfast anyone? Sausage rolls, chips, chocolate? Jars of sauces, supermarket ready meals? That's what the people in my office seem to live on.

It will be interesting to see the state of the nation's health in 20 or 30 years time.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Get rid of the sugar, crisps and biscuits. Then you'll be on the money.

🙂

• Breakfast (7am) - Cereal or scrambled eggs.

Lunch (12:30) - Home-made soup. An apple, bannana and orange.

Dinner (7pm) - Normally sort of pasta/rice based meal. Home made, the vast majority of the time

Offset with at least 10 cups of coffee a day (milk, one sugar) and sometimes the odd biscuit at night, or some crackers and cheese.

I do tend to have a Saturday night blowout of chocolate or cake though.

• well i say crisps as a general as they are cassava "crisps" not potatoe.

hmm dont know how i can survive without the sugar in me T image

i dont even touch fizzy drinks as havent ever! 

what annoys me is the lack of catering for non fizzy drinkers. if i do go out for a meal i always ask for a non fizzy option and they look at me as if im mental "what no fizzy drink??"

i think the figures are out that altleast 50% of adults in britain will be classed as obese or above by 2020!!!

• Jason, like you people are amazed at my appettite (and i'm lighter than you!):

breakfast - kiwi, porridge, 2 poached eggs on brown soda/seed bread, tea

11am - triple-decker oatcake/hummus, nuts, coffee

lunch - big salad, mackerel or similar, pitta bread

afternoon - apple, biscuit

dinner - fish/chicken + sweet potato/pasta + 3 veg, yoghurt and nuts, coffee plus the odd glass of red

10pm - 2 x weetabix, semi-skimmed milk

I run 4 times a week and like yourself have a seemingly quick metabolic rate. Would like to put on a few pounds but doesn't happen.

• Alan your 11am snack sounds amazing where can i get myself one of those??

im pretty amazed at how much i can put away! when im having a 'bad' day i can quite easily scoff a whole 15" dominoes pepperoni pizza to myself image

the whole calories thing goes out the window for me (havent bothered to calculate on a normal day)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'll confess that I only stopped eating biscuits 18 months ago.

In my line of business, I have many offers of biscuits. One day, at the first job it was 2 chocolate digestives, 2 cream wafer and shortbread. The second job was 4 chocolate digestives followed by 2 plain digestives, the third job was two kit-kat chunkies. 

I only started work at 9:15 and it was now 11:30!

It had to end.

🙂

• Jason,

3 oatcakes (i like Aldi's) - homemade hummus in between - can't beat it!

• Just had fish & chips straight from the paper with lashings of salt
  • Today I have had: (I am female, right weight for my height and frame)

Weetabix with semi milk, chopped dried apricots and flaked almonds with bit of sugar.

Ran 11.6 miles

Two pieces of Soya Linseed Toast with sardines and butter; 2 Mr Kipling angel slices (shite tiny cakes) 

2 crumpets with bit of butter

2 pancakes

Homemade beef stew with carrots and mash 

choc biscuit.  

I am not a fan of fruit and could do with more veg but I can't force myself to eat what I don't particularly like.  I am eating more carbs as the longer runs are taking force (20 miles on Friday).  Will try to eat some blueberries and a banana in a mo just to make myself look more saintly.  Everyone could do with tweaking their diets but I try to make sure my 3 main meals are decent and my tea homecooked.  The titbits are a bonus that I can eat from continually marathon training! 

If I were you, I would aim to try and get some better protein in your sandwich, ham not the best.  Egg, tuna etc. 

• I eat constantly but mainly fruit and veg. Could probably do with more carbs what with all the running, but I do eat lots of oats, so that'll have to do. Today I had:

breakfast: orange juice, 4 cups of coffee (but small cups, not mugs!), blueberries, mango and stewed apple, full fat greek yoghurt, home-made oat/rye granola with lots of nuts (I know, I'm pretentious).

lunch: huge mixed salad with roasted veg, mozzarella, salami. Oh, and an oat cake.

dinner: just about to have some soup and a rye/wheat roll. And then maybe some cheese and more oatcakes and two glasses of wine.

snacks: 2 pears, 1 orange, a pre-run cereal bar.

Works for me, anyway.

• Thank god someones had a glass of wine..... I'm 37 days dry !  

Ooops wrong thread image

• Result! The talk of protein above reminded me that I had a scotch egg in my fridge. Am just devouring it now while waiting for my soup to heat up, with some mustard and a huge juicy gherkin (not a euphemism).

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    7:30 nut rich muesli

10:00 1 or 2 pieces of fruit

11:30 two pieces toast, sourdough, with butter and jam

Training

1:30 Salad with egg, tuna, lentils or something.

4:00 more muesli or toast to get me through the pm

8:00 meal with veg and oily fish once or twice a week, meat once a week.

Occasionally get a bag of crisps on the way home from work.

Start my day with at least 3 coffees in the morning but only green tea after midday.

Have a massive weakness for dark chocolate digestives!

It took me a long time to get into this habit, but now I'm there it's easy. My colleagues eat pies and curries around me, they often comment on he good my food looks, and I look at theirs and feel lucky.

I'm 6'2" and I think about 12 stone.
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    RicF, are you using 'biscuits' as code?
  • what sort of jobs do people do to allow them to eat all day?

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    I'm desk bound but without supervision, kind of. Publishing.
  • Too Much Water wrote (see)

what sort of jobs do people do to allow them to eat all day?

I work at a university. I have a fruitbowl and other essential snacking items in my office, and occasionally work from home. But actually loads of office-type jobs can be done while snacking quite frequently. I can see how it'd be a problem in customer/client-facing jobs, or ones involving physical labour, though.

• Today I've had-

Breakfast - brown pitta bread with marmite

snack - 1/2 a muller light yoghurt (they really aren't nice, hence half)

Lunch - shop bought cheese and onion sandwich and half a tub of pringles (not normal lunch but they were on offer in Morrisons and opposite the sandwiches so i couldn't resist!)

Snack - hand full of pick and mix (mainly jellybeans and mini eggs)

Dinner - veggie burgers and salad

pudding - 1 apple

Fiarly normal day except I don't usually have the pringles!

• On a bit shittier side...Healthy metabolism is about 24 hours for your food to pass your digestive system. That means from the point you eat it to the point the waste comes out of your other end.

National average however (not sure when the study was done) for British people is 7 days! 7 Days for your food to pass your digestive system!

Imagine that.

That study probably included a lot of people who do no exercise.

• Crikey. Well, I think mine's working okay; I can tell because I eat a lot of beetroot.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I clear gardens up for old ladies. So being fed biscuits just went with the territory.

🙂

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    My bowels move quick - if we were racing, my bowels would win. There's an image.
  • Jason Wintin wrote (see)
    well... got talking the other day about diet blah blah and how much i eat. lets just say it amazed some people how much i can consume on a normal running day. mind you i have got an exceptionally fast metabolism (2/3 a day sort of person) just wondered what people consume/how much? ill start off, (this is pretty much every day as im running 5 days a week at the moment) breakfast- 2 weetabix dried fruit and honey topping with semi skimmed milk 10:30- ham sandwich (whole meal bread), packet crisps, 1 apple, 1 banana, sometimes handful of nuts 1:30- two ham sandwiches (whole again), crisps, yogurt, nuts again 5:30- maybe another banana or nuts or something along those lines. 7ish- hot homemade meal consisting of meat, sometimes pasta, small portion of vedge. 8/9- some biscuits (mmm hobnobs) to go with cuppa T oh also consume 4 cuppas during the day (with milk and 2 sugar) i dont really mind opinions on my diet but it works and im currently 10st 4lb and steady not climbing or dropping.

Can presume that you are referring to shitting here........what on earth is the amount of times you shit to do with the metabolism.......

surely its linked to the amount  and type of what you eat to a significant degree......I go 3/4 times a day but that doesn't mean i have a high metabolism./just means i drink 2 or 3 litre of diet coke a day and the aspartame makes you shit loads.....

• i always thought the metabolism is something to do with the stomach and how well it digests its foods??

yours is clearly the shite your putting in there ie the coke

• i thought meatbolism was more to do with the individual cells of the body.....and how they process the energy suplied to the body......I agree that mine is totally shite related image