Price of Shoes

My last pair of trainers cost me £90 which I thought rather expensive!However looking around for a new style I noticed that many were over the £100 price tag!Of course I know that running is generally a pretty inexpensive sport but the price of trainers seems to have rocketed in the last few years.Am I just showing my age or is running now becoming rather more expensive?Discuss

Comments

• Get last seasons styles at 40-50% off.
  • I know that but I fancied something new and exciting. I guess I do just need to pay for them but it does raise the price question IMO?

• cost of development v's a relitivly speaking small market (compared to fashion shoes) is why i would imagine they cost so much, + oil prices (transportation and manufacturing, those EVA foams and gel cushions are all made from crude oil)

not justifying it, i think they cost too much, but thats probably the reason or at least their justification.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Lou Diamonds wrote (see)
    Get last seasons styles at 40-50% off.

That's generally what I do.  

I never pay full price - even this season's shoes will be cheaper online.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Really expensive if your running style wears them out.

I know a guy who can sheer the sole off a pair of trainers in only a couple of hundred miles whereas for me its a different matter.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/shoe2.png

Asics Gel-Cumulus 12.

Age unknown, but its a while.

🙂

• As with most things, the price is governed by what the market will bear. Perhaps running has become more popular, and so the demand for running related products and services has increased. If £100 trainers keep flying off the shelves in large numbers, they'll keep being restocked.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Stop buying the expensive ones. If everyone did that the manufacturers would have to have a think about their pricing structure.
  • I have discovered that Royles in Wilmslow have an outlet store in Handforth - went there for a little look-see and the Brooks that I wear are 40% cheaper than in the normal shops.  Guess where I'll be spending my money from now on....................!!  Or maybe I'll wait until we go to the triathlon show in Manchester....................... image

• Inov-8 prices have gone through the roof in the last couple fo years. Seem to be paying more and more for less and less shoe! I think the RRP on a pair of Flyrocs 3 years ago was about £50. Its now £80.

If I could find anything nearly as good but cheaper I would buy it. Still you can always pick up a bargain as lines/seasons end and if you know you like a shoe, then why not buy in bulk when you see them going cheap.

• Just inspired by this thread to order a second pair of identical shoes while they're still cheap and in stock - thanks for the reminder!

• Race shoes a few years ago were minimalist and cost at least half of what a pair of cushioned shoes would cost. Then this barefoot stuff came out and for a lightweight trainer you now pay in excess of what normal trainers cost. Like a bottle of perfume, I think trainers are 20% for the product and 80% for the marketing.
  • Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Race shoes a few years ago were minimalist and cost at least half of what a pair of cushioned shoes would cost. Then this barefoot stuff came out and for a lightweight trainer you now pay in excess of what normal trainers cost. Like a bottle of perfume, I think trainers are 20% for the product and 80% for the marketing.

I've noticed this flavour of the month pricing as well. Even so the most I've paid for a pair of trainers is £57, all the rest have been under £40. No running caused injuries to report. I just buy cheap comfy lightweight trainers.

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Race shoes a few years ago were minimalist and cost at least half of what a pair of cushioned shoes would cost. Then this barefoot stuff came out and for a lightweight trainer you now pay in excess of what normal trainers cost. Like a bottle of perfume, I think trainers are 20% for the product and 80% for the marketing.

Definately true - I would think that the vast majority of production costs for each shoe are relatively similar for a manufacturers range. Therefore, the retail price is going to be a determined by competition and what the market will take, all backed up by a load of marketing.

literatin wrote (see)

Just inspired by this thread to order a second pair of identical shoes while they're still cheap and in stock - thanks for the reminder!

No problem! I have a few pairs of Inov-8s still boxed and ready to go. I pride myself on never paying the full RRP and usually get them at about 50-60% - timing is everything!