P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• I've been looking at those Nike Flyknit racers, just ??120 a pair seems a little on the steep side, when I can get 2 pairs of Fastwitch and a pair of Kinvaras for the same price. I'm also in for Wrexham next week, targeting around 80 minutes, hoping with the course I should be able to give it a good shot.
  • I am a total cheapskate and have been doing all my road running in Brooks Defyance 3s, which are currently £34.99 a pair. Just ordered a second pair for when these ones wear out. I used to have the 5s (which I bought full price) and got the 3s because I thought they'd do a similar job for much cheaper, but they're actually even  better because wider at the front (I like having toenails).

Skipped today's recovery run so as not to plunge back into a full-mileage week, but will do my LT run early tomorrow. Slightly dreading it as I always worry I won't be able to hit the pace.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I was thinking about the adidas adizero range as they do get a lot of good reviews - but I have fairly wide feet and not sure if they will be good for me. I guess I'm going to have to go in a running shop, get my gait analysed (never done it) and get some advice, and then inevitably buy from them instead of picking up some bargain online! I have been wearing the Brooks GTS's for a few years now and find them very comfy (they have 2e for wider feet) and have had no issues with them apart from the odd toenail falling out - but after this marathon think I'm going to have a go at shorter distances (10k and half) for the rest of the year so maybe I should get something a bit lighter/faster blah blag waffle waffle.

• Can't reccomend the Adizero Adios enough 15W. An absolute great trainer for speed that hold up to longer stuff too. I still haven't worked out how something so light can feel so cushioned. Hey if its good enough for Haile then who are we to argue?! They are a bit narrower than normal trainers, but not that bad. I up sized half a size and haven't had any problems. You can always order them online and just send them back if they dont fit.

• /members/images/306733/Gallery/feet.jpg

Sometimes you just get a vision from something somebody says.  No nails missing on this oneimage

• I'm wearing Nike Pegasus shoes at the moment which I think are pretty good.

Used to love Mizuno wave riders until they started messing about with the design.

As for races I'm at the Blackpool half on the 24th of this month and that'll be it until London apart from maybes couple of park runs.
  • 15w - Up & running (they have one in chester now) do a no pressure gait analysis - Had mine done at their stores butbthey didnt have my size in what they recommended so went to the asics store at cheshire oaks and picked up a pair for £45.image

• Asics 2160s at the mo, have followed the series for years withour any problems so wont be changing, I worry about changing shoes, for me there is no need...racing flats are great if you are very light and quick..I am neither..image

Chick welcome back and dont call yourself a old hag...I am sure you are not ...and if you are there is no hope for this even older hag !!

JF50 nice pace for the LT image

5 easy for me today

Swapping my weekend runs about LSR tomorrow and the 11 on Sunday, wont be doing the LT bit though as I have a 10 mile race on the 17th, that will be my LT

• bought some Brooks Ghost 5 shoes about 2 weeks ago. Did 16miles in them last weekend, seemed to hold up quite well, so i think they're broken in well. Don't feel much different to my previous Saucony proGrid (or whatever they were called)

• Literatin - I used to use the Defyance but found I needed to replace them pretty quick. The glycerin more expensive (I only buy them on sale) but seem to get longer from them.

NN - don't be daft, if you tried a lighter shoe (not a racing flat though!) you'd see huge difference when you do tempo or a race. It's a bit more extravagant to hand different shoe but it's definitely helped me get my tempo pace down and I forgot to wear my Adidas on club handicap and my Brooks just felt like bricks on my feet (think I ran between 5k and 10k pace for 3.5 miles) and I really felt they dragged me down. I suppose it's just what suits each person. I couldn't do past 10 miles in the Adizero though.
  • Only ran 3 marathons, my first effort was a few years ago, only ran to get round, 3:45, then a nightmare late this year, ran Chester injured with 3 weeks dropped training, managed a 3:33, it was the most unenjoyable expereince of my life, then on the back of that still not fully fit ran Snowdonia Marathon, took it steady and managed a 3:45.  Now injury free I feel in around or below 3 hour pace.  Learnt a massive lesson in regards to marathon, dropping 3 weeks and injury, I was literally put to the sword at Chester, I should not have run it, but as I say lesson learnt.

• HeOw wrote (see)
    Literatin - I used to use the Defyance but found I needed to replace them pretty quick. The glycerin more expensive (I only buy them on sale) but seem to get longer from them.

NN - don't be daft, if you tried a lighter shoe (not a racing flat though!) you'd see huge difference when you do tempo or a race. It's a bit more extravagant to hand different shoe but it's definitely helped me get my tempo pace down and I forgot to wear my Adidas on club handicap and my Brooks just felt like bricks on my feet (think I ran between 5k and 10k pace for 3.5 miles) and I really felt they dragged me down. I suppose it's just what suits each person. I couldn't do past 10 miles in the Adizero though.

NN: completely agree with HeOw there. I think you and I are in the same pace range and I progressed over the years from Asics GT 21xx to the lightweight Sauconys I wear these days. I find Kinvaras supportive enough to do all my running in them. The Fastwitches are ok for 5 & 10k stuff, maybe 10 miles but no more. Although I know people that run marathons in them! Couldn't EVER go back to GT bricks image. Give it a go when you are not marathon training and are doing less miles.

• Find Fastwitch 5's great for any distance, from 5K to Marathon, also my Saucony Kinvaras, ran 32 mile trail run in them, faultless.

• To me my Brooks highly cushioned shoe are for when I'm am plodding doing high mileage but I used to wear Adidas pre marathon and would bin Brooks full stop if I wasn't do much more than 13 miles. They truly do make a difference to legs. I did my tempo other night in my Adizero Feathers (only ??59 in Cheshire Oaks outlet shop) and I fly in them in comparison to attempting tempo in my Brooks. The Adidas Adizero Tempos are my favourite though and I could definitely marathon train in them - they are more cushioned than the Feathers. I have average width feet and go up a whole size in Adidas.
  • Craig I agree, I don't think I would bother running marathon unless I was 100% fit, uninjured and trained correctly. I doubt I'd even run it with a cold. I would just bank the training and find a marathon as soon as I could. It only leads to disappointment. Obviously a niggle is expected but when it's such a hard distance, you can't wing it. Well done on great Borders League too, just watch how faster you get over next 12 weeks! You have so much more in you. Andy did well I see...!
  • So are 2160s etc known as a heavy shoe then ? I really have never though about it, I just know I stay injury free and put it down to the correct trainers for  me image

Chick thanks I will check out info  the Kinvaras as I really have no idea where to start. I have got to the age where I need to make changes in order to improve just a bit, I have even booked up to do some twatty Pilate's next week..should be interesting..I will blame Literatin if I am in agony for days after..image..I am also going to a body balance class with a mate on Tues, hope I can still find time to run over 60 miles !! 

Craigt...I did Snowdonia a couple of years ago ...took me nearly 4.5 hours !! howling and p***ing down I wore a binliner for the first 10 miles...

• I am thinking of going for a slightly lighter shoe than the Brooks as I'm ready for new pair and the Brooks are expensive. Will look at Saucony - which female ones are good?
  • these ones?

I have an £100 voucher for Up and Running - are these ok for marathon training?  I don't think they had these in the shop when I tried a load on.  I am pretty flexible re trainers, most suit me (bar Asics) so could definitely order them online and if they are no good, return.  I think I will... 

• Cheers Helen, Andy was quick, he had a pb by a minute on the five mile course, which was on a race track, I developed a stitch 2 mile out, very nearly quit, but crossed in a 29:27, I know if no stitch I was looking sub 29, think Andy was just under 27 in 3rd. Next for me is Wrexham, looking forward to this after not running Helsby, anyway out for a recovery 5, normal Thursday for the last 6 month have been a track session with club.
  • Night Nurse wrote (see)

So are 2160s etc known as a heavy shoe then ? I really have never though about it, I just know I stay injury free and put it down to the correct trainers for  me image

Same here -- I've always just stuck to the shoes that seemed to keep me free of injuries. But at least now if my LT run is rubbish on Friday I can just blame my heavy shoes!

• l

Same here -- I've always just stuck to the shoes that seemed to keep me free of injuries. But at least now if my LT run is rubbish on Friday I can just blame my heavy shoes!

Ah that is why I a slow !! poor core too fat and bricks for trainers...lol

So what trainer size is everyone ? bet mine are  the biggest of the women on here

I will only tell when you have ?

• 5/38 but I'm also SHORT.

• WHAT !!! christ you are tiny how short are you ?

7.5  size trainers for me 

So lit..you can get away with kids trainers ..cheaper !!

• well, 5 is not that tiny, but I'm really only moderately short at 5'4. Sometimes when people run faster than me I pretend it is because they have longer legs.

• Mine are 9.5 NN can you beat that? Oh and I have a pair of 10s alsoimage
  • Sorry to post and run, literally, will catch up soon image
  • Pottermiss I usually have the biggest feet when this discussion comes up either here on at work..so this makes a nice change....I always say though I love my feet..they may be big but they plod out the miles injury free..image

I must say though feet are getting bigger in general ..

Lit 5 is tiny I honestly cant ever remember being smaller then a 6 even when I was about 13 !! and 5.4 isnt that short really I thought you were going to say 5.1 or something..I am just scraping 5.6...

• Uh oh. A discussion on shoe size. This could go down hill rapidly given past discussions. Ha

Debating whether to do LT tonight or tomorrow night. Ah, decisions decisions.
  • Chris..it just goes to show who has that kind of mind..!! you...image.I thought the blokes would come on here and say oh here we go a girlie chat about shoes.. but no image

• I was a size 5 pre kids but the little shits :-P made my feet stretch to a 6. I buy a 7 in trainers though. 5ft 6in height wise. Even though I am smallest size bodily I've been since before I had kids (size 8) I weigh as much as I did when I was a size 10, must be the muscle.