BORN TO RUN

Has anyone read the book Born To Run by Christopher McDougall and in particular Chapter 25 about expensive running shoes being the actual cause of many injury's..interesting reading !

Comments

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Aye its a very good book ... I now buy last years shoes in the sales so they're not as expensive, and I'm therefore less likely to injure myself image

It is a very good read, and makes some useful points.  I'd already started moving towards a midfoot strike before reading this (based on reading Chi Running) and this reinforced the message that its a better way to run

• Or buy the book that is cheap because it's the one people were talking about last year(or even the year before that)
  • excellent contribution Sussex.

• Thanks CJ. That's so nice to say that. You might not exactly be the sharpest tool but what a gent you are.
  • Did I miss something here Sussex?  Are you a complete numpty to everyone on here or have you just had a bad day?

• What? I thought we were being nice to each other. I hope you were being genuine about my contribution. I often have the trouble of always thinking the best of people but sometimes I get hurt by people taking advantage of my good nature.
  • I would say you have many troubles, the main one being a sad little twat.
  • Now there is an honest reaction. Like it.
  • Hello

We're getting moderation alerts on this thread. Just to reiterate a message I left yesterday on another thread:

The RW forum - wherever you post - is for runners to talk and get advice, not feel intimidated by more experienced runners or people who've been on here for years. 

We're not saying you can't argue or debate, but we are requesting you be respectful to other members. 

Thanks,

Katie RW

• I was bought this book for xmas, about 1/3 of the way through it. It's a decent enough read but I was surprised at just how American the tone is. Nothing I can put my finger on, but almost every paragraph has a phrase or word that is just so... American.

Hell Yeah!

Apart from that, interesting enough book.

• CJ71 wrote (see)
    Has anyone read the book Born To Run by Christopher McDougall and in particular Chapter 25 about expensive running shoes being the actual cause of many injury's..interesting reading !

Just worth bearing in mind that this book (whilst being a very good read) is not written by a scientist, but instead by an ex Journalist.  Don't believe all you read.

• Sir David, is he not quoting the work and opinion of the scientists/professors/doctors? 

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Sir David is correct - the author is quoting one particular research piece, but this has not been validated by peer projects.

Also, the original report doesn't attribute any identified reason why people with more expensive trainers are more likely to be injured as they are unable to eliminate other contributing factors (e.g. psychological - do people with more expensive trainers run harder because they believe their trainers will boost their speed beyond their current capability? environmental - do people with more expensive trainers have lower core strength due to a more sedentary life, i.e. are they more likely to be office workers, etc ...) 

It was an interesting statistical correlation found in the research that illustrates that more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better, what it doesn't do is prove that the trainers themselves cause the injury.  

• CJ71 wrote (see)

Sir David, is he not quoting the work and opinion of the scientists/professors/doctors? 

In a word...No.

If you want to read a good book which is far more informative (from a scientific perspective) then get Tread Lightly by Pete Larson.

• Thanks Sir David i will do...any views on the The First 20 Mins by Gretchen Reynolds?

• Sorry to hijack this thread, I posted elsewhere about whether there is any difference to the version published in 2010 compared to that in 2011? The covers are different, but the title/author remained identical. I'm trying to get it off amazon but they are mainly the 2010 version. Thanks!