What do you do with your old running shoes?

There have been recent threads about the life span of running shoes and many of us get through shoes pretty quickly. (I feel that mine lose a lot after 300 miles or so). Sometimes they still look pretty good so recently I have started putting mine on ebay:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400406640751?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I know people suggest using them as gym trainers but I do end up with too many. I`ve managed to sell 3 pairs recently and I can use this towards buying new ones. (I`ve also sold some other running gear too). The buyer might get some more wear out of them or get to try a new type of shoe.

I used to take them to charity shops but selling them seems prudent. What do others do? Do you just let them rack up?

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

ET - if you clean them up you can get a few quid for them at boot sales, even if the soles are a bit worn.

I've sold old trainers for up to £7 a pair.  

• I tend to take mine on a farewell holiday. Run in them and wear them round the pool and then throw them away at the end of the holiday. In some countries leaving them outside the room when you go gives them a second chance of life with some grateful local.
  • Both good ideas IMO! I do think that, in this day and age, we need to recycle them somehow, and finding them a new home is a great start.

• most larger recycling centres have a shoe bank (managed by the Salvation Army I think) - clean them and drop them in there - they will go get distributed as needs be, or disposed of by them. at least you're given them a chance of further use.

and my local cobblers has a recycling bin outside - again for charity use

• I've sold a couple of pairs on ebay, I was amazed that people would pay so much for second hand running shoes - one pair of Newtons sold for £55! image 

Otherwise one of the charity shoe recycling bins, we've got quite a few of the shoe and clothing bins around here.

This is a good idea though:

Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    I tend to take mine on a farewell holiday. Run in them and wear them round the pool and then throw them away at the end of the holiday. In some countries leaving them outside the room when you go gives them a second chance of life with some grateful local.

• I wear mine for gardening until they fall apart.  Although I am developing a slight backlog, to be honest, so I will probably need to find an alternative, or do more gardening.

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    I tend to take mine on a farewell holiday. Run in them and wear them round the pool and then throw them away at the end of the holiday. In some countries leaving them outside the room when you go gives them a second chance of life with some grateful local.

does throwing them in the sea count??

• i have a few pairs reserved for spartan race/tough mudder events that just destroy shoes (they also have a donate your shoes for charity at the end) i made screw shoes with one pair and the rest went in the bin.

• Sweatshop recycle them, abroad I think.  Perhaps Kenya or Ethiopia, perhaps one of my old pairs is helping to develop a world champion distance runnerimage

• JF50 wrote (see)

Sweatshop recycle them, abroad I think.  Perhaps Kenya or Ethiopia, perhaps one of my old pairs is helping to develop a world champion distance runnerimage

I thought they did something like that but I did ask on an RW thread and got no response.

Are screw shoes easy to make?

• You better ask the prison officers if they are
  • buy screws (sheet metal screws), screw them in strategic places...done.

• 300 miles?? bloody hell at the rate im going now i would be buying a new pair every 3 months!!

• That is about the same as me Kris so it does mean getting through a lot of shoes.
  • This is just another thread for you to promote the sale of your trainers on ebay !!!

Other thread got canned, sure you're breaking the t/c's here

• RIPP - Which thread? To be fair, this topic has brought some very helpful responses which I for one shall consider.

• With the amount we pay for these shoes i tend to make sure i wear them to the death.

When i first started running i would change every few hundred miles and just ended up with lots of shoes and not alot of cash.

When i actually sat back and thought what bad effects part worn shoes were having on me i struggled to find any. I now wear them right out untill the sole wears off or the holes become to large in the uppers.

At the moment i have three pairs i regulary use. My trail shoes are Hokas which i have just changed because my others ripped open during the Thames trot last week. They were six months old. My roadies are Mizuno wave inspire i've had over a year (don't do very much road running). I also use an old pair of Roclites in very muddy conditions, these are knackered now and probably 3 years old. I also bought a couple of pairs of Brooks trail shoes last year that are barely worn. 

I ran over 2000 miles last year.