Paris marathon 2013 here we go! A.W's Sub 3 attempt!

Comments

• Nice sessions Steve and KR. I think I find 400's the toughest reps session out of the lot, I really wasn't looking forward to the 20 x 400 I had a couple of weeks ago. I think its just the sheer volume!?

I will see how I feel on Sunday over the first couple of miles in the half and take it from there, my PB is 1.22.27 so a first target for my is to run sub 1.22. This would also qualify me to get to the front of the pack (but behind the elites obviously) in Paris which would be nice!

But if I don't feel great I'm not going to push it, at the end of the day its just a training run for Paris.

• AW just a word of reassurance, This time last year I pinged my psoas and missed the half in build up (wokingham) and it didn't make any difference so don't worry.  Nice set of mile reps, they are my torture of choice tomorrow!

Steve, nice set of 800s, the way you set them isn't exactly the standard and I forgot how hard they are with only 200 recovery, I ran them last thursday in 2:33 - 2:39, the pacing would of been closer except I lost concentration on the 2:39 rep, almost pushe don and did 12 though! glad I didn't as calves and quads complained loads on the cool down.  Also ran the 2000m yesterday all in a gnats wisker of 7's so training so far is good. 

• Hi Choisty - good to hear from you. - you are in great shape judging by the 800s and 2000-s. I was quite a bit slower than when I last did  session and even last year when wasn't as fit and was well down on runners I was with or ahead in 10k on Sunda, so hopefully just a  bad one-off.

However, agree the session I do where i'm getting a minute recovery is much harder than the traditional Yasso 800s.

KR, I've been doing 60-65 a week over last month but came down for 10k and intend going up to 70 plus this week.

AW - okay the aim is to break 82 all being well but still would like to see if you can run a controlled first 5k in 20, which means a 62 last 10.

• Hi Choisty, thanks for that. I know the half is just part of the process rather than the end goal so won't be taking any chances. It sounds like your in great shape and running well. What's you goal race and target?

Sounds good Steve, so first 3 miles in about 6.25's and then if all good pushing on to 6.10's. Does that sound about right?

Is it just recovery time needed if I go 100% the reason to hold back a little, so it doesn't detract from next weeks training, or is there something else? Just wondering as if its a perfect day I think I may have it in me to go close to or just under 1.20? I will obviously keep to the guidelines you set out for this one though.
  • Sounds like still responding, keep up the good work even if it feels better.

• Steve, yep I feel in great shape, despite 96 miles last week!!! and your 800s are not just hard but evil...but they work

AW, the plan is to break 2:40 at VLM, things seem to be slotting into place nicely to hit it too, planning a tester at Bramley 20 to see what is reasnoble.  I hope the foot continues to improve

• Nice comfortable 10 miler earlier today. Finished with an average pace of about 7.50 a mile.

I have to say I'm feeling really good about my fitness, my ability to get tough quality sessions like yesterday done well and then following that up with a longish run today which felt really comfortable is encouraging. When I think back to previous marathons it was always a big struggle to get the session after a big reps session done!!

My foot still much the same, which in a way is a good thing as its not getting worse!!
  • Very good you are recovering well.It's a really good sign and relatively easy to do good sessions but doing them repeatedly is a better sign of fitness.

I struggled a bit today but did get the miles in - watched a schools cross-country at Parliament Hill then ran to where I left bike and first 9 not too bad in company at 7:55s but once on own struggled and last 6 were about 9:15s. Worst bit was cycling home in wet kit in sleet into biting wind and lost all feeling in hands and feet and though only 5k felt like an age.

• Yes it's a good sign as you worked it really hard in the last 2 days. 

• AW, same as mine yesterday, 10M steady...sounds like a plan! 

Steve parialment hill in the cold and sleet, followed by a long run and bike ride shows a level of commitment most of us can only dream of

• Today's run was a bit of a chore I have to say. I've been really busy at work the last 2 days - worked 8am - 10pm yesterday and back in work for 7am this morning! - And I think that a combination of work and the last couple of hardish training sessions have caught up with me a bit.

Still I got out there and got it done and once running things were ok, a little tired I guess mentally more than anything.

So 6 miles completed for today in just under 45 minutes with the middle 2.5 miles at MP (about 6.40m/m). The faster section actually felt a bit easier than the warm up and cool down.

Feel ready for my day off tomorrow, just had time today to go and get my sports massage done so I'll hopefully be feeling tip top for Wokingham come Sunday!

• Well done. It isn't always easy to fit training session when you are working full time (actually you seem to be working more than full time!).

Good luck on Sunday. I have got my half marathon next weekend.

• What a carry on!

Just tried to get my medical certificate for Paris done at my GP's, I thought it would be simple as I already had a form he would just have to sign, date and stamp! How wrong was I!

He's sending me to have an ECG and blood test done at the hospital. He says to me 'the marathons a long way you know', I explain I have completed quite a few before, but tells me he won't sign it until he's checked me out!

Most annoying thing is its a fasting blood test so I miss breakfast tomorrow, my favourite meal of the day.

Nothings ever easy!
  • Every session doesn't come easy and you have days that are much harder than others and too many sessions without easier days usually mean worse sessions as the tiredness grows but you still did the session as planned and felt ok on the faster stretch. You obviously need a day's rest though and it is probably the work as much as the running.

Having felt awful yesterday and having done my longest Wednesday run, I expected to feel really bad on my grass and hill speed session but slept very long last night and today felt surprisingly sharp and I'm sure you will feel refreshed at the weekend if you can get a little more rest.

• Doctor probably worried he would be liable if he signed and you had even a minor medical problem.

Make sure you have food and drink as soon after the blood test as you can. I had one last week and didn't quite drink and eat enough afterwards and took a while for me to feel back to normal. .

• That's annoying regarding the medical cert from your doc AW. Agree with Steve, he is just covering his back. I seem to remember last year my doc said that anyone could drop down dead in a marathon as it's hard to detect irregularities sometimes - just look at the footballer Fabrice Muamba. You'd think with the level of medical staff at the Club he was with would have picked up his problem. Just goes to show it could happen anytime. I think by just signing up for these races is a disclaimer in itself that you know the risks.

• A.W wrote (see)

Thanks for that Ruth, that all sounds good. I will trial it this weekend before Wokingham half.

I was pretty well hydrated before my run and took 400ml of water on the run to take with the gels.

I have used SIS Go gels before and got on ok with them from memory, so may be best served just going back to them!? I also got some Torq strawberry yogurt gels to try - these don't have caffeine?

I know we talked about trying a gel in the latter stages of my half marathon, what should I do about this? Which should I use and when?

A.W wrote (see)

Thanks for that Ruth, that all sounds good. I will trial it this weekend before Wokingham half.

I was pretty well hydrated before my run and took 400ml of water on the run to take with the gels.

I have used SIS Go gels before and got on ok with them from memory, so may be best served just going back to them!? I also got some Torq strawberry yogurt gels to try - these don't have caffeine?

I know we talked about trying a gel in the latter stages of my half marathon, what should I do about this? Which should I use and when?

I think stick to the SIS GO, the caffeine ones if going to use this in Paris, can I suggest you take one at the 9/10 mile mark.

Just something to consider for your "dress rehearsal" this weekend is timing of breakfast. I spoke with runner’s world to get an idea of when you are likely to be leaving hotel on 7th April (morning of Paris marathon just in case you forgot!). This is probably going to be around 7am for your 8.45am start so perhaps you will need to be at breakfast for 6am so that this can be relaxed meal. So for your  half on Sunday perhaps you want to consider also sitting down to having breakfast at around 2hr 45 mins before start? All snacks and fluid type (not neccesarily volume) between breakfast and start of race  should be same as for Paris.

I will come on again tonight/tomorrow morning to check you have no further questions

Enjoy your rest day tomorrow.

• Thanks Ruth,

Think I'm all good now, I wanted to try and avoid the GO gels as they're quite bulky to carry. Will follow the carb load and report back how it goes!!
  • AW, I had the same issue with my doctor, so I offered to race her over 10miles for  the cost of the cert (£35), we train at the same centre on a Monday, so she knew my training habits and let me off!  Also at the BUPA health check I was diagnosed as having an inverted T-wave, which turned out to be because I run a lot, who would of thought!!! but I had to miss the tread mill stress test, which was a shame.

Regarding fueling Ruth's plan for me was amazing and I got through Paris without any issues, but did find the level in take hard, possibly the hardest bit of training.  In the build up last year I switch from Go to Gu gels and it worked fine, for the same reason, they are a lot easier to carry.

Good luck at Wokingham

• Good luck on Sunday.   Not sure if I'll be doing mine (in Essex) -  been bunged up with a cold this week and although the worst is past can still feel it a bit on my chest.   Also congrats on the 10k.     

• A.W wrote (see)
    What a carry on!

Just tried to get my medical certificate for Paris done at my GP's, I thought it would be simple as I already had a form he would just have to sign, date and stamp! How wrong was I!

He's sending me to have an ECG and blood test done at the hospital. He says to me 'the marathons a long way you know', I explain I have completed quite a few before, but tells me he won't sign it until he's checked me out!

Most annoying thing is its a fasting blood test so I miss breakfast tomorrow, my favourite meal of the day.

Nothings ever easy!

Hey Alex. Can you not get the medical certifcate done when having the BUPA Assessment? I'm sure you have it now anyway so it doesn't matter, but it could save you £35! image 

Good luck this weekend.

• Hi guys,

There's actually been no mention of me parting with any money!!! Went today to have the ECG and blood test done at the hospital so just have to wait for the results to filter back to the GP and hopefully all being well just pop back and get the form signed!?

Got a bit of a suprise when having the ECG done, when I last checked months ago my resting heart rate was about 60 and my blood pressure about 120/80 in the normal range. It seems as though I'm in great shape at the minute, resting heart rate was about 45 and blood pressure 104/61!!!!!

Just hope it all checks out now and get my certificate ok!!!

• Did they have to check the readings were correct AW? image I remember last year when we had the BUPA assessment in London they were suprised at the general level of fitness we had as they are just used to seeing alot of unfit office workers.

Good luck for Sunday at Wokingham, looks like it will be wet!

10 miles for me tonight in 1.11.30. Started easy in just under 8 minutes then middle 4 miles ranged from 6.35 - 6.44. Last night was a rest day due to looking after the boys.

• HR shows how fit you are. good luck - Sunday -

presuming you feel ok - suggest 6:20-6:25s for first three miles and then gradually build up pace first to 6:15 and then 6:10 but suggest no faster than 6:10s until 10, and then last three see how close you can get to six minute miling, if you feel good enough to do so. I know it seems like you could probably go nearly a minute faster in that first 5km but it doesn't necessarily mean you won't make that time up. One of the most important aspects of marathoning is control and another is saving energy for the second half and with the injury problem you have had I think it would be better to delay the onset of tiredness and discomfort and also it would be good to hopefully  be coming through the field all the race! 

I've been doing research on middle and long distance world records in recent weeks and it's notable how many records are set with a faster second half after a relaxed and in control first half.

• Interesting research Steve and the stats don't lie! I guess the long Sunday runs where a controlled first few miles are followed my MP miles or quicker is a good replication of this?

• KR I don't necessarily think a slower than normal start is the best way in a marathon as much as it is in a half-marathon or 10k, but yes good to start slower in training as you warm up and I think it's always useful to run to a plan and carry it out rather than always just run as you feel though the latter can be done occasionally.

• Nice pace on that 10 miles KR. To be honest my resting heart rate surprised me a bit, don't think its ever been that low!

That sounds good Steve. So if feeling good and all goes to plan that should bring me home in around 1.21-1.22. I'd be happy with that, lets see if I can execute!

• Sounds like everyone's a bit tired this week the training does start to catch up and it's as much balancing work and life as well as training. Oh to have the luxury of full time training. Enjoy your rest day and good luck at the weekend.

• Easy 5 miles done this morning.

Not sure I dare say it, but, I think maybe my foot problem is just about sorted. Today was the first run for about 2 or so weeks where it felt completely normal from start to finish on the run, and having finished there seems to be no stiffening or tenderness. Will still ice it as a precaution and stretch etc.

So fingers crossed it stays like it!

My trial carb loading day is well under way, will post details of my intake and timings later on.

• AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow AW. Hope you bring home a nice well controlled PB!

I did Newbury parkrun today. Despite sleet and mud, having a cold and hardly any speed training this year so far I somehow managed to record a 10 second PB (18.47) to finish 6th out of 283. Just gotta do a slow 20M tomorrow (only!) to set my highest ever weekly mileage (51m).