Great North Run 2013

Comments

• lfc - good and bad news on Mrs LFC but in todays climate work is a bonus. Good to hear your Mojo is back

• ballot results being emailed as we speak, im in, who else???????

• Hi everyone!

I'm in! Just recieved an email confirming my place through the ballot. It's my first time, I'm a fairly new runner and to say I'm excited is an understatement!

I've got rhuematoid arthritis (in my ankle- erk!) but have had the all clear to run from my podiatrist, physio and rhumatologist this week which is handy.

Currently up to 7miles on the long runs and hope for less pain once the warmer weather comes. But it hurts to walk, so I might as well run, don't you think?image
  • My daughter failed to get in via ballot - luckily we had a charity place for her if this happened so I will still be able to run round with her
  • Evening everyone, just got my email and thats 6 years on the trot im in through the ballot !

See you all in september
  • SJ - can I have this weeks lottery numbers please - although I am member so get in every year I always miss out on London ballot and first time my daughter tries she fails as well. Well done SJ
  • Well done to everyone who got places in the ballot.  Hard lines about your daughter, BP, but at least with the charity place you can still run it together.  Maybe we might get to meet you both in September.

Blimmin' freezing again tonight.  Wrapped up warm and went out after work for a cheeky 9 miler that I should have done yesterday.  I was dreading it but actually quite enjoyed it.  

My skin was the colour of salmon once I got home.

• Skielsy - will definitely try to meet you and th rest. What time will you be running GNR in
  • BP - I did the GNR in 1:46 last year, but that was a total fluke, dunno where that came from.  I'd be happy with 1:55 - 1:50.

• Hello all, I just got my email, and I've been accepted!

Im a first time half marathoner and would like to ask a question, how does the GNR course compare to other HM courses? Is it fast? 

• Mike - no it is not fast but the crowd make a huge difference to times.

Shielsy - my PB for GNR is 1:40:36 but this year as running with my daughter we will be looking to do just sub 2 as it will be her first half. It will be nice to take in all the atmosphere at a slower pace

• Salsa got in through the ballot, so this will be her second!

Morning all, welcome to all the newbies image

How are you all today?

• Congrats to Salsa, Vixx.  I didn't realise she'd already ran it.

No Mike, the GNR isn't fast because of the sheer volume of runners.  Unless you're pretty fast and get a good starting zone like A or B, where weaving round other runners shouldn't be as much of a problem.

Everyone complains that it isn't a pb course, but I've managed to pb there starting from zone E.  Maybe I'm just really good at dodging round people.

• I thought thats why they ask you for what time your aiming to achieve, so they put you at the start time with runners of similar ability?

• Mike - they do but many people overestimate ( or is underestimate?) the pace they will be able to do or maybe don't do sufficient training so there can be some slower people with you. There is also sheer volume of runners. Just as you think the congestion is easing the course narrows to one side of the road so you are all squashed up again.
  • People lie - I was put a way back last year due to running the previous year with my wife (and thusly a little slower than my usual pace) and I was passing swathes of 'runners' before the first underpass - less than a mile and walking already. 

Don't want that to seem 'snobby' but really ? Walking a mile in whilst putting down a time to be at the front of the orange section ? Whats the time you'd need to put down to be there - 2-2.15 ? Get real.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hello all!

I'm in again this year.  Nice to see so many getting in on the ballot - I think everyone I know has a place!

• Congrats to those who were successful in the ballot - its nice to see the odds of getting in are so much better than the VLM.

Quick question from me...

Where has this year gone already??

I'm going to be nowhere near race-fit for Haweswater in a month. Since going back to work I've hardly run at all and can't believe how fast the weeks are flying. I'm going to have to seriously kick my backside out of the door in the morning in order to sort myself out! 

• Great news so many have got places in the ballot,Looks like the meeting under the bridge will be a busy one this year.I think I will be way back in the pens this year,My wife put a estimated time of 2hr 45 downimage

Know what you mean about the running Mandie,It seems to be hard to fit everything in at the moment,Ive only been out a couple of times.Mannaged the gym 3 or 4 times a week but the longest on the dreadmill has been about 30 mins.

I think with the GNR its best just to run and enjoy it,If you manage a pb even better.I'm pretty excited about it this year with not running it the last couple of years

• Dear John e-mail for me I'm afraid image. I was hoping to do 2 more before another "special" birthday.  I can't really complain as I've been lucky in the ballot up untill now. I'm seriously considering the charity route but I'll wait and see.  Hope that I get lucky with Blaydon!

• Best of luck with Blaydon Wee Col ... GNR won't be the same without you.  

I'll have to bring my own sandwiches to the Sanddancer for one thing image.

• I am also in image My friend did it last year and said the congestion was terrible so I hope I don't get too frustrated and that I manage to enjoy the great atmosphere that I've read so much about at what might be a slower pace image

• Wee Col - does the hospice that helped Mick have any places for GNR?

Evening all image  How is everyone?

Mandie - I'll come for a run sometime with you if you like?

• Morning all - just back from parkrun.

Not a bad day here in West Yorkshire. Dry and not too cold but a bit grey.

Huddersfield's 100th parkrun today. Happy Birthday!

Congratulations to everyone successful in the ballot - maybe get an influx of new posters now?

• I was also lucky enough to get inimage. This will be my third GNR and I love this race.

Just back from a 8 miler in rainy Cheshire, as my training plan starts for the 15th September - 31 weeks to goimage

• Morning all image just found I got a place in the GNR. Will be my third but hopefully my quickest image
  • Went out and did 15 miles this morning, in much better conditions than it has been for weeks - still freezing, but at least it was calm and the sun was out.  I quite enjoyed it, but I was feeling a little tired towards the end.  Goodness knows where I'm going to summon up another 11 miles on top  image.

Roy Runner - another regular(ish) poster on here does Huddersfield parkrun - and he pb-ed today too, so he's a very happy Bunny.

• Sorry I haven't been around much lately, too much going on! Nice to see the ballot results are out and there are lots of happy people image.

• Shielsy - I meant to say, Salsa did it quite a few years ago, and hated the getting out of South Shields thing (or her Dad did), so she decided not to do it again, but then she got fed up of spending the last 3 times waiting for me to turn up at the end, and decided that it would be better to be doing it than spending a 4th year waiting for me image

• Today is the eleventh anniversary of the first time I ran outdoors, when Pengwyn and I shared a tentative three mile or so trot. So dissapointed that my heel meant I had to cycle alongside as she celebrated with a 5 miler this morning, but at least we were out there.

Here's to Year 12 image