Mental illness and running

Comments

• Know the feeling well.  Is the move to London one you'd prefer not to be making then?  I'd certainly not want to be going there. 

Had a rough start to the day and for most of the day at work.  Seemed to have improved though towards the end of the day and I ran well in the night orienteering event.  Sufficiently so to make me feel a bit better. 

I've put back my weekend family visit for a week due to concerns over the weather at the weekend so I've got time on my hands this weekend.  Putting it to positive use is the tricky bit though.

• Whereabouts in London? I moved out of NE London just over 3 years ago. There are times I do miss it

Anyone with time on their hands is welcome to come and help bring order to the by eck household. Getting this kitchen done means not.only sorting and packing up the kitchen but also clearing space in the living area, tidying the cave, and filling the freezer with adult and moo friendly food.
  • I'm excited to move in some respects, but also it's a whole new world really...and I'm unsure how i'll react...

I'm hoping it'll give me some more structure though. I'm struggling atm just as I have no routine and nothing to actually do with myself. And when you have all the time in the world, motivation to actually do things is none existent...

Well done on the run image. A good run can always make the day seem a bit better. 

• By'eck - moving to Southwark. Will make a change from the countryside where I am now!

• I did the reverse - Woodford green to.north Hampshire image

Rwtw, do you have job lined up?
  • Yeah, its been lined up for quite a few months now (graduate job). Excited to start as new start and as cheesy as it sounds, kinda the dream job...its just been these months in between that have been tough

• Welcome to London rwtw. I'm at the other side on the west, but its a great city. Took me a bit of time to adjust to but I love it now.  

• Rwtw, London is OK, at least there is transport around, buses every 5 - 10 minutes, trains and the tube, unlike my out in the sticks, every half hour for a train or bus.

LR you are quite right the older you get the more set in your ways and ideas. I have told Mr Steady if he becomes too much like his father I will divorce him.

Hope Solb is doing OK.

By 'eck, good luck with the kitchen, when we had ours done, the temporary kitchen was an old unit in the hallway which had the cutlery draw in and a bit of old worktop over the old fridge and freezer. The kettle, toaster and microwave were used a lot. Planing ahead is a very good idea. Neccessity is the mother of invention is a quote that frequently came to mind.

• Got the wrong end of the stick there, rwtw.  Glad that the job move is a positive one and just the in-between bit that's the problem.

• Solb was sounding positive last time I spoke to her.  She is having trouble getting on the internet which is why she isn't around much but she is still talking by text.

I've eaten gluten and made myself ill image

• Oh dear SuperCaz, have you tried taking probiotic tablets or yoghurt, Mr Steady finds it eases the discomfort when he has eaten gluten.
    Glad to hear Solb is OK, thought she might have internet troubles.

• I eat a lot of natural yoghurt CJ image

To be honest, this time it is the legthargy and achiness that is the problem rather than my stomach.  My stomach hurts but I can deal with that as long as nobody pisses me off.  My temper might be a little frayed.

• I find Mr Steady to be a bit grumpy, usually he is cross with himself for eating gluten, but just having to wait until the symptoms die down is horrible. (()) if you want them. He reckons knowing the problems if he eats wrong makes him stick to gluten free, he finds walking past a pasty shop torture due to the wafting smells of the pasties.

• Someone brought cakes in today.  I wasn't in the least bit tempted as I knew the taste wouldn't be worth the pain.

• moo had 3 cornflakes with traces of gluten in last saturday. I think he may have it out of his system now image

• Yep, sounds about right, Mr Steady is about 5 days to clear it out of his system. Cornflakes are a pain to find GF ones, but we now go to Waitrose or Asda as a special trip and bulk buy the Whole Earth brand as its a pound cheaper than the other brands.

I need something to stop me eating too much chocolate, even hypnosis failed to tame my liking of the stuff.

• Steady - with you on the chocolate. I have just eaten far too much and feeling very very guilty...

• Did someone mention chocolate? image

• Chocolate image

Cornflakes image  They are the devils food

• It's chocolate o'clock for me, having got through another week.

Despite this I am trying to address my bad diet by investing in the Bach remedies 'Emotional eating kit'. which is supposed to help with comfort eating.  I really am uncomfortable with my current weight and it does affect my self-confidence.  It's not by any mean that bad, but it's just something that bothers me a lot.  Getting a few pounds off would help.

• I've lost 9kg since the beginning of December.  It's not been intentional

• That's sounds a pretty dramatic loss in such a short space of time, Caz. 

• Half of it was due to my stomach not liking gluten (or something similar).  I've had three periods where I haven't been able to eat properly becasue of it.

The rest is just because I have significantly increased the training and haven't worked out how to get enough food inside me.  My stomach feels permanently full so I can't eat any more.

I'm not worried about it yet.  I still have at least another stone of fat on me so I'm not about to starve.  I lost weight in a similar manner when I started marathon training, until I learnt how to get the balance right.  If I get down to 70kg then I will start worrying.  I've still got 7kg to go before I get that far.

• I need persuading that going out for a long run today is a good idea. I'll be at least 2 hours. I know how to stay warm and fuelled
  • No run for me today but I'm off to the football match this afternoon and am going to walk there and back - about 5 miles in all.  Any benefit from the walk may be offset by the fact that a pub at the other end is involved.

Go for it, by 'eck.  To take you literally - it's a good idea.  You know it makes sense!

• It does - but a pub full of Lincoln City supporters isn't always the cheeriest of places these days.  In fact it doesn't get full anymore!  Gotta hit the road.

• LR keep us posted on the Bach remedies stuff, sounds interesting. I definitely comfort eat, but chocolate is just down to the lovely taste, especially the dark stuff.

This morning got ready to visit Mr Steady Snr who rang at 8.30am to cancel us going, so no excuse not to do the housework and fit in the turbo session I thought I had skipped due to laziness and not wanting to get up early to fit it in.