Something for the Grammar Nazis

2»

Comments

• The active voice is just the opposite of the passive voice. It means the person is doing the verb rather than having it done to him/her.

• I'm sure you are right - mainly because you said you work in a languages dept of a university.     The fire had destroyed all life - so you are saying in that answer it's the fire (the subject ?) that is doing the destroying that makes it active.     

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Some of you people are too clever for our own good.

🙂

• Catalin Bond wrote (see)

10. Will ask my primary teaching boyfirend tomorrow and hope he gets them all!

And if he doesn't you could always ask your secondary boyfriend ... (what with this being ... etc etc) image

• yep, that's right, popsider. 'all life had been destroyed by the fire' would be passive, because 'all life' would be the subject of the verb, but hasn't actually done the action.

• Well I am thick as shit, I mostly guessed and got 8, although that says that getting over 50% right means my guessing skills are average image

I don't remember any of that stuff when I was at School and still managed to get a B in "O" Level English.

• That's interesting TG2, I only got a C, but have been flagelated since marriage to a linguist. As a result I achieved 11/14, having worked out the gerund.

To be honest, knowing whether a sentence is written in the passive, active, or conditional is irrelevant. Knowing that is formed correctly and sounds right is much better. Spelling is critical, and punctuation is extremely useful.

• I scored 10.  I didn't learn any of that at school, but I did have to do an English grammar course during my first year at uni and a lot of that quiz was covered during the course, I've just forgotten a lot since 1996 lol.  I'm happy to say I did better in the university exam than in this quiz image

• Muttley wrote (see)
    Catalin Bond wrote (see)

10. Will ask my primary teaching boyfirend tomorrow and hope he gets them all!

And if he doesn't you could always ask your secondary boyfriend ... (what with this being ... etc etc) image

I guess I asked for that one!

Primary BF only got 8 (but he does have man flu!) will check with secondary one later!

• All rather alarming that 11 year olds have to know this sort of stuff. I got 11/14. More alarming is why they have 14 questions and not 10,15 or 20, which sort of isn't right. Did you know that greunds can hang? I was taught it, but didn't understand it.

• I got 13/14. Understood the double meaning of pride in trick question no. 8, but I overthought the question. I didn't think the emotion meaning of 'a pride' was really a noun in the same way that 'a truth' is. I would say that 'I took pride in my work' was correct usage rather than 'I took a pride in my work'. I kind of thought the question was a double trick!

Fun quiz! image

• 6, 13, 14 wrong. 11 out of 14. image

• 12 out of 14.  I don't remember being taught any of this but most of it seemed fairly obvious once I thought about it.