RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Mr Puffy - I love Joe Malone. Nectarine Blossom and Honey is my favourite .... Just in case!image

Hope the weather stays ok for your run tomorrow Sarah.

I'm off to the rugby in their ing so will have to do my 20 after that, when the snow is predicted. image

North East Harrier League XC fore today and finished in 8th place, which is my highest ever. (Although it was just my second event! 21st last time) now been moved up to the faster pack so will be about 80th next time!!!
  • Hi Mr P, it has been a lovely rest day, I've really enjoyed it. I think I've managed to replenish all my losses from yesterday now...ready for tomorrow!

I think your the most sensible runner I've met....its very refreshing. I think you've done the right thing having a rest today if you was tired last night. Your run tomorrow will be more beneficial because of it.

Wives love to be spoilt...keep on doing it and I'm sure you will have a free running pass for many of weeks

Hope you have a lovely run tomorrow and the flat course isn't too boring.

Evening minni. Congratulations on a fabulous XC today, you must be so happy with that result. Not sure I would want to go with the faster pack though, but suppose it will benefit you in the end! I hope we don't get any more snow, and if we do, I hope you manage to get your 20 in before it settles.
  • Afternoon, today's run was very hard!

Got off to a bad start, PJ & I had a misunderstanding, I thought he was getting a lift from training to his game, he thought I was taking him home... I was in Mrs P's car, so she couldn't come out and get him.  I decided to go home, leave the car and ask Mrs P to get him later.  BUt I had no house key, and she was off on a ten mile run.  So in the end I told him to get a taxi, tough, he's always telling me how grown up he is!

So eventually I got under way in a persistent cold drizzle, I took my phone and was listening to 6 music, it really helped today. I jogged down to the access point for the Greenway and turned left for the first leg.  I had my waist belt and a bottle of water from the car but it was too cold to carry after being in the boot for days, so I left it hidden and used my waist bottle.  So up 3.5 miles to the end, turn round and back the same way.  I think I've mentioned before it is an old railway line been converted to a cycle and footpath, it's about 10-12 feet wide and runs through unspectacular even dreary countryside.

The next leg was to pass where I started and keep going tjhe other way, a little more interesting for a couple of miles, actually I was born in a house that backs onto the old line, but I can never work out which one it is from the back.  Past the cemetery, past the old railway station where we used to get the train into town and then that's it, just flat fields either side and a semi derelict RAF base to break the monotony.  And straight

This is  an old picture I have from a couple of years ago but it shows how boring it is.

/members/images/376129/gallery/Image040.jpg

On marathon Talk they were discussing Marathon pace miles and made a few suggestions, so I tried to put 5 miles at 8mm miles between 10-15, with limited success.

the 12.5 mile point was where I turned back, and the wind was quite strong, I hadn't noticed with it behind me but it really knocked me back.  I'd had a gel at ten, and took another at 14 and managed to run OK back to the leisure centre where I'd started.  I was knackered now tbh and just sat in the foyer trying to warm up, enjoying all the comings and goings and a bit of human company!

I got a cup of tea, changed my wet top clothes and drove home.

So- not an ideal lsr, I think I was working a bit too hard, but in terms of mental strength a very good workout! 

Distance    Split time    Time    Split pace
    1.00    8:58    
    2.00    8:56    
    3.00    8:37     
    4.00    8:47    
    5.00    8:39    
    6.00    8:25    
    7.00    8:31    
    8.00    8:46    
    9.00    8:26    
    10.00    8:06    
    11.00    8:02   
    12.00    8:06    
    13.00    8:22    
    14.00    8:19    
    15.00    8:43    
    16.00    8:19    
    17.00    8:45    
    17.26    2:20    

Don't know why sportracks has recorded it like this, total was 18 miles in 2:35:17

• Hi Sarah,

Good work on the mile reps - great consistency (first two laps asideimage ). Sounds like training is going really well.

I've been to Jamie's Italian and Fifteen a couple of times and the food really is great. And what a nice way to rack up six miles of walkingimage

Hope the 10 miles went well today - how did you get on?

• Evening Mr P, your first big paragraph made me laugh image

By the second one im really feeling for you due to your un-scenic route.

Sounds like you was hit by the same wind as me on friday...I didnt really notice it around town and when I was running down a cycle path, but by the time I was running by the river and faced it head on, it was a killer!

Your splits look similar to mine on friday too. Least you managed to get  3 miles almost at MP too. I think you did great as a lot of it is just a test for the mind...if you could do 18 on that stretch and in those winds, the marathon will feel far easier image

• Hi Steve, thankyou...I think I got a bit carried away with the first two miles..just hope I dont do that next weekend!

I cheated and did my 10 today in the gym. I wanted to do my weights and a run and was running out of time before I had to go to the cinema with friends to watch Les Mes (and the weather was rubbish) so it was easier to do it there. Quite enjoyed it and kept to my paces fine (although it is easier on a TM).

Hows your weekend been?

• Training Diary for Forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 6 (day 42) Aim; 10 mile (4 mile steady, 4 mile @ MP, 2 mile steady)

Actual;

I went to the gym to do my ten miles today. This was mainly because I wanted to do my resistance training aswell as my run and I didnt have time to run the streets and then drive to the gym to do my weights before I had to meet friends at the cinema to watch Les Mes (which is a fabulous film).

I first spent 45 minutes doing my resistance training with stretches inbetween sets.

On the treadmill I set it to hills on level 2, so the inclined ranged from between 0 and 2.2%

Mile splits

1 I started at around 10 min/ml and finished at 8:34 min/ml

2 @ 8:27 min/ml

3 @ 8:20 min/ml

4 @ 8:13 min/ml

5 - 8 @ 7:53 min/ml

9 @ 8:00 min/ml

10 @ 8:20 -8:41 min/ml

Despite me doing it on the treadmill, I did actaully enjoy myself today. The personal trainers looked like they were being examined, so I had quite alot to nosy at!

My legs felt quite fresh and light

• Total milage for week 6; 40.5 miles

• My schedule for week seven;

Monday; resistance training + 3 mile recovery run

Tuesday; To be confirmed. Im currently waiting for Minni to get back to me on this one, but its going to be about 7 miles with possibly some (easier than normal) reps + resistance training

Wednesday; Rest day as im working 8am - 9 pm

Thursday; Rest day as im on call, need to finish everything before I leave work for my long weekend and I need to get an early night ready to be up at 4am.

Friday & Sat. I will be in Barcelona. Im not planning on running there except on the day of my half, but I will be doing lots of walking and site seeing to make up for it and to loosen my legs. Normally on these kind of holidays with the running club we can be walking for over 8 hours a day.

Sunday; Half marathon + 1 m w/u and c/u

Total milage: 25 miles

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Well done Sarah and puffy! Well toughed out Puffy.

Sarah - I thought I had got back to you... Will check!
  • Thanks minni, mr P def did better than me today!

For Tuesday, the plan is;

3 m w/u

1 m @ MP

4 x 0.5m @ HMP with 2 min recoveries

cool down.

This will hopefully challenge me a little but not too much, ready for my half on Sunday.
  • Hi Sarah,

Training seems to be going really well! Good luck for Barca at the weekend. Any time in mind??

Got the job in Sheffield- will be based at the Northern from July. big relief, so can now start focusing on running...

• Morning Clive....I'm guessing you've been on call being up at 5 am? A huge congratulations on getting the job, especially after some applicants had known some of the surgeons already working there, you must have really impressed them, I'm so happy for you. When do you start work there?

It would be lovely to get a PB on Sunday (isn't it always) so I'm hoping to aim for between 1:33-1:35, but I will see how I feel on the day. Are you still doing that 10k in shef a week on Sunday? There is another event that day which involves running up all the steps in the university art building in shef....a friend was trying to talk me into doing it!
  • Hi Sarah,

Not definately sure about next weekend as my eldest son has football that morning and his brother is going to a party so need to speak nicely to my better half!! I also might have got a place in the Silverstone half marathon in 3 weeks so may do that instead. Only so many favours i can ask for!

When do you fly to Barca?

• Sarah- very impressive bling on FB- loved it!image

I'm predicting low 1:30s on Sunday.

• Silverstone half looks like a good one Clive...I was tempted. Retford have a half as well on the 10th of March but im not sure it would be sensible for me to do this...I will ask the boss!

Evening Brolish...thankyou. I tried to get the photo up on here but it was too big. Think it may have been beginners luck!

I would love to get 1:30 but I dont think I would be able to run under 7 min/mls for 13.1 miles...but I will give it a good shot!

Week 7 (day 43) Aim; Resistance training and a 3 mile recovery run

Actual, 45 mins of resistance training with stretches inbetween sets, followed by a 3.3 mile recovery run.

1st mile: I started at 10:00 min/mls and increased the speed over several minutes to 8:53 min/mls

2nd and 3rd miles I ran at 8:53 min/mls

0.3 of a mile I ran increasingly slowly until I was walking.

I did todays recovery run on the treadmill whilst daydreaming about running in Barcelona along the sea front!
  • Hi Sarah - just popping in to wish you good luck for Barcelona !

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

How are you feeling Sarah? Calm, cool and collected? image

• I'm just imagining running around Wrexham industrial estate, past the Kellogg's factory...beans and chips in the race HQ...who needs Paella and Chorizo?

I went to the gym tonight, first time for ages, I really enjoyed it and only went home bEcause it was getting a bit late; I did 15 minutes on the rowing machine, 5x10 reps with light weights on abductors, adductors, leg press, chest, upper arms and back of arm and neck. Then I did a twenty minute hill programme on the tready, ten blocks of 1:40 going from 0% at 43m 10k pace to 7% at slower pace that I couldn't compute due to being in imminent danger of collapse.

Minni I wondered what to do tomorrow, my Wednesday run is a medium long run and it is up to nine miles...I wondered whether to increase the distance, or- preferred- to keep it at 9 and start to put in specific marathon target pace miles, say one mile warm up, 5x8mm then 3 easy miles to finish?

Hasta La Vista Sarah!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Puffy - I'd do it the other way round - 3 wu, 5@ MP, 1m cd. Or 4 @ MP if 5 feels too long. A long warm up is always beneficial.
  • Thankyou Carter, im really looking forward to it, im just hoping its not a huge anti-climex!

Hmmm not sure ive ever been called any of those Minni, think I only come close after a challenge run or a bottle of wine!

Lol.....Mr P.

If it helps, we have to be up at 4am to get to our flight...not looking forward to seeing that time of day again!

Your gym session sounded fabulous, no wonder you felt great at the end if you was near collapsing....sounds so satisfying.

Hope that you have a good run tomorrow. Are you racing this weekend too?

Week 7 (day 44) Aim; Gentle speed training which includes; 3 m w/u , 1 m @ MP

4 x 0.5m @ HMP with 2 min recoveries, cool down. Total 7 miles

I was going to check on RW what my plan was again for today as I couldnt remember....all I could remember was a total of 7 miles, with 0.5 mile reps @ HMP with 2-3 minute recoveries as this is what I discussed with Minni. Unfortunately I forgot to check as I was that excited to be leaving work. Therefore I didnt do exactly my aim, but I was almost there

First I did my resistance training and stretches. This was then followed by a 3m w/u;

1st mile starting at 11:00 min/mls approx and finishing at 8:34min/mls

2nd mile @ 8:20 min/ml

3rd mile @ 8:06 min/ml

I then did the reps; 4 x 0.5m @ 7:08 min/ml with 2.5 min recovery @ 8:20 min/ml

1 mile c/d starting at 8:06 min/ml and finishing at 8:49 min/ml

Total 7.2 miles

My normal TM underneath the aircon was broken so I ended up going on a different one...it was so warm compared to "my" treadmill which ended up making my speed training a little more challenging but nothing on a par with last week.

Now its time to do a little taper (mainly due to job commitments, travelling and sightseeing)...im sure the little rest will do me some good before I throw my self back into it again!
  • Sarah- have a great time in Barcelona and good luck on Sunday!

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

I haven't commented for a while but it's good to see that everyone's training seems to be going well. Especially Sarah - you've put in some pretty impressive performances in recent weeks. Good run by Mr P on Sunday as well.

We haven't been too badly affected by the weather down here. We had some snow a couple of times but it hasn't stayed around for too long, so I haven't had to resort to the treadmill on many occasions. I wish it wasn't so bloody cold though. 

My training has been going OK. The speed work has been quite hard but the long runs have been fine. As mentioned previously, we went up to Sheffield at the weekend (after having already postponed it once due to the weather). Unfortunately though we came back earlier than anticipated due to heavy snow being forecast on Sunday morning, so I didn't manage to get out for a run up there. Instead I did 18 miles near home, in 2:34:02 which is about 8.33/mile. It felt like hard work at times but I finished strongly and did the last couple of miles in sub-8 mins, so I was happy enough with that, especially as I haven't run that far since my last marathon training three years ago.

Tonight it's a ten mile slow run. I am going to run part of the way home from work so it doesn't eat too much into my evening (and I get to have my dinner earlier) but it won't be particularly enjoyable - ten miles in a flat straight line alongside a busy road.                

Good luck on Sunday Sarah, I'm envious of you - Barcelona is a lovely city and it must be a great place to do a race. And it will be warm!

• Brolish wrote (see)

Sarah- have a great time in Barcelona and good luck on Sunday!

Thankyou, im hoping to come back on here on monday (if I dont have internet access on sunday) with a positive result image

• AndyA wrote (see)

Afternoon all,

I haven't commented for a while but it's good to see that everyone's training seems to be going well. Especially Sarah - you've put in some pretty impressive performances in recent weeks. Good run by Mr P on Sunday as well.

We haven't been too badly affected by the weather down here. We had some snow a couple of times but it hasn't stayed around for too long, so I haven't had to resort to the treadmill on many occasions. I wish it wasn't so bloody cold though. 

My training has been going OK. The speed work has been quite hard but the long runs have been fine. As mentioned previously, we went up to Sheffield at the weekend (after having already postponed it once due to the weather). Unfortunately though we came back earlier than anticipated due to heavy snow being forecast on Sunday morning, so I didn't manage to get out for a run up there. Instead I did 18 miles near home, in 2:34:02 which is about 8.33/mile. It felt like hard work at times but I finished strongly and did the last couple of miles in sub-8 mins, so I was happy enough with that, especially as I haven't run that far since my last marathon training three years ago.

Tonight it's a ten mile slow run. I am going to run part of the way home from work so it doesn't eat too much into my evening (and I get to have my dinner earlier) but it won't be particularly enjoyable - ten miles in a flat straight line alongside a busy road.                

Good luck on Sunday Sarah, I'm envious of you - Barcelona is a lovely city and it must be a great place to do a race. And it will be warm!

Hi Andy, its lovely to hear from you. Sorry that you didnt get to run out in sheffield, but least you missed the snow and managed to get home ok. Its been snowing all day up here in York....im not looking forward to my journey home once ive finished my evening clinic at all. Ive been told that the roads are not very good.

Congratulations on your 18 miler. To finish on sub 8 min/mls aswell is fabulous, you must be so happy with that result. Hope that your ten miler tonight isnt as bad as you predict and that you get home safely in the traffic.

I cant wait to go to barcelona now, the last few days have been quite cold, so it will be nice to be able to run out doors in a vest again image

Week 7 (day 45) Aim; Rest day

The first of a 4 day rest, currently waiting for my evening (and 3rd clinic of the day) to start.

Its been snowing up here in York all day, the roads look terrible so im not looking forward to my journey home. I hope everyone gets their planned runs in tonight.

• I just listened to the traffic news sounds bad!

I'm off for my 3+4+1 as suggested by Minni, just cold & wet here all the snow has melted.

• Hope you have a good one Mr P, let us know how you get on