Options

Footpath Experience

Hey guys I have a favour to ask. I am doing a marketing research about exercising and would like to ask you guys if you could spare a sec and complete the survey.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/97VYY2G

There is just 9 questions and most of them are 'yes/no' so it won't take too much of your time. 

Thx very much guys I appreciate that.

Comments

• Options

What benefit are you bringing to the forum?

• Options

the entertainment value of pulling the survey apart afterwards?

• Options
    I wouldn't say that. The thing is that I have an idea of a product which might enhance your running/jogging experience but first I would like to do the survey before I will start anything.

You know guys if I have a product for runners I won't go to swimmers, right.
  • Options

Is it an alarm thingy that you wear onj your wrist, like a watch, that you can use to let people know you're coming?  A bit like using your voice but more intrusive and less polite.

• Options
    I wouldn't say that it is intrusive and less polite, it gives you an opportunity to let people know that you are coming rather then shouting at them from a distance.
  • Options

People will buy it.  People buy all sorts of crap for their sport, especially newbies.

• Options

So it's something like a horn worn on your wrist???  Think a polite shout would be just as good............cheaper too!

• Options

I dunno, though, when riding my bike on shared bike/footpaths/bridleways I find some walkers want you to ring your bell, other people get massively offended by the bell because they take it as a 'get out of my way' signal rather than a polite 'here I am' signal.

• Options
    Thx for your opinion Intermanaut appriciate it image but unfortunately I can't rely just on one opinion.
  • Options
    Greg Schultz wrote (see)
    I wouldn't say that it is intrusive and less polite, it gives you an opportunity to let people know that you are coming rather then shouting at them from a distance.

what do you think is wrong with shouting at them?? has worked for me for years and costs me nothing

• Options

I guess you can't say how other people will react but still I think that shouting is less polite.

• Options

I think shouting is more polite because you can say 'please'. However, I have done the survey.

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

I dunno, though, when riding my bike on shared bike/footpaths/bridleways I find some walkers want you to ring your bell, other people get massively offended by the bell because they take it as a 'get out of my way' signal rather than a polite 'here I am' signal.

you know it it is about safety really. No suprieses, no injuries on both sides.

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

I think shouting is more polite because you can say 'please'. However, I have done the survey.

thx

• Options

Luckily thanks to a misspent youth boxing and playing rubgy I snuffle like a pig when I run and the noise emanating from me sends people jumping into hedgerows in fear. I therefore doubt I would require any device.

Also as I am always telling Mrs Oirish any gadget that replaces a human is only a bad thing no matter how more effective it is but enough of our problems.

I am willing to volunteer to be recorded for your product for a small fee, 100% effectiveness guaranteed

I too will do your survey though.

• Options
    I think people can hear my heavy breathing and thumping steps from miles off...
  • Options
    Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

Will it have a hologram on it?

Not interested if it hasn't got a hologram on it.

• Options
    StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    I never know what to shout ... I'm still trying to think of something polite but effective by the time I've overtaken them

I also agonise over how and when to ring my bell on my bike - too close and it scares the life out of them, too far and they won't hear it. So I try and time it to a tentative tring ... I'm-right-behind-you-on-my-bike-and-if-you-just-move-over-a-tad-I -can-get-past-without-sounding-like-I'm-shouting-at-you-to-get-out-of-my-way ... sort of thing.

Life can be so complicated sometimes ...
  • Options

I have noticed quite a few newbies whilst out training recently. image                    

Any warning device would have to be very loud because most of them are wearing..........dare I say it......HEADPHONES.  image

• Options

How about 'Excuse me please.' It works well for me. Same as on the pushy, or I call hello or good morning. It seems to make people jump less than a bell.

• Options
    BIKILA wrote (see)

I have noticed quite a few newbies whilst out training recently. image                    

Any warning device would have to be very loud because most of them are wearing..........dare I say it......HEADPHONES.  image

I guess you're right although when you listen to a music one wierd sound gets your attention which doesn't belong there and you starting to look around image

• Options
    Ian M wrote (see)

Will it have a hologram on it?

Not interested if it hasn't got a hologram on it.

mrs. hog - mousey wrote (see)

How about 'Excuse me please.' It works well for me. Same as on the pushy, or I call hello or good morning. It seems to make people jump less than a bell.

but that's the thing when you let people know earlier that you are coming their way it won't make them jump and also you won't have to shout image

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    A good hard shove into the road works well.
  • Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    As a pedestrian on a footpath I can just as easily ignore shouting, bells, horns, etc. Why is it the pedestrian's responsibility to get out of the way?
  • Options

Because the pedestrian is always in the way

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    Could it be a device that says 'please would you move out f the way, runner coming through!' in a StephenHhawking type voice? I'd pay for that.

I usually shout 'coming through on your right' - problem is that I'm very bad t telling left from right...
  • Options

If you use a voice you can tell them which side you are going to come past on. If it's just a noise, they don't know and could very well move into your way.

The survey is rather limited - only up to more than 3 times a week exercise - many on here do far more than that. Sometimes I run outside, and sometimes I go to a gym but could only pick one. Sometimes I run on a footpath,sometimes I run in a park, sometimes I run on a footpath in a park, but mostly I just run on the road and there was no option for that.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I've found if you call out anything to pedestrians they just dither and end up getting more in your way.

Why say anything?  Just run round them.

Or best of all run somewhere where you don't get any pedestrians.

• Options
    Snap! wrote (see)
    I usually shout 'coming through on your right' - problem is that I'm very bad t telling left from right...

That's usually when I huff loudly and pretend that I had to change direction image