Monday 11th February 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - I want something that's purer than water

Congratulations postie - great run in those conditions and with a less than ideal build up.

7d - you'll get it. Just not yesterday.

Alehouse - hope your niggle has gone this morning.

Woken to more snow - doesn't look too bad - about an inch on the ground. Will assess conditions underfoot when I walk Grace.

What:             hopefully a MLR
Why:              miles make smiles
Last hard:      seeing more bad weather for the week
Last rest:       4/2

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    Well raced yesterday postie, nice pb!
    Also a decent solid effort 7D, all moving the rightway though so sub 40 won't be long in coming.
    More of the wet stuff when I left home, but surprised to see a number of (parked) cars with snow on them near the Southbank. Maybe its me, but doesn't seem as cold today. Either that or I'm getting used to it...

lyric - seem familiar

what - lunchtime run,  5 easy, recovery miles
    why - club committee meeting tonight so only opportunity to run
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - drying trainers over the weekend, trail shoes still soaking this morning from Saturdays run..

have a great day

• Morning!

7D:  does not sound like a PB course!

What: will decide later...almost certainly a walk rather than a run, if anything
    Why: niggle in foot. Don't know whether it has been brought on by poor foot alignment or whether it is from the arthritis in by big toe. It seems to be one of those where you don't know whether it is a short term niggle or something more long term.

Lyrics: no

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning all

What: definitely lots of walking, maybe a spin class
    Why: needed to get home from hospital and to spin class and not allowed to cycle or drive. Want to try a new spain class but not sure what protocol is when your arm is in a cast!

Went for more Xrays this morning, definitely nothing broken, but arm is in cast for about another week to ensure tendons heal properly (the doc had clearly looked up the English word as I found out it's a tendon I've damaged!

Great running RFJ, postie, 7D.

How are all the bruises feeling from everyone who fell in the snow and ice?

Have a good day all.

• Thanks all. Had a think, sub-40 was never going to happen, tough course, just got my hopes up. Got some fell shoes for my birthday, I'm going to spend the week breaking them in ahead of a fell race on Saturday.

Do hope it's short-term, Alehouse.

Lyrics: no, afraid not.

• emzap - that was nice of the doc. Not sure I' want to do a spin class in a cast - I sweat buckets and it would get really manky in there! Shoulder is still a little achey but getting better, bruises are fading and skin healing. I'm still a little wary of falling again though.

Dustin - it's disappearing fast here - alternately snow/slush and wet underfoot on my run.

Hope whatever it is clears up quickly Alehouse.

I had the most amazing run. Bimbled the first 9 miles having promised my legs an easy run after yesterdays treadie efforts then sort of got a bit bored and wanted to be home so ran the last 5 miles progressively - starting at marathon pace. Really pleased with the way my legs are at the moment, need to keep progressing until the taper and not peak too soon - any thoughts as to how to manage this?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning all,

Not a bad weekend... though not quite what I'd hoped with HM 3 weeks away.  4 miles with some interval hill work in the middle on Friday early evening. Started a streaming cold an hour later that wiped out Saturday... but OK by Sunday.  Had hoped for12 mile LSR, but kept it sensible with a 9 miler in pouring rain yesterday evening. (But I've just started sniffling again!)

Given some other stories, I think I shouldn't have mentioned a "sniffle" image

What: Hopefully a 4 mile easy.

Why: Need a good next 10 days.

Last hard: Friday, I suppose.

Last rest - Saturday - male flu.

Lyrics: Not the faintest.

Have a good week all.

• Afternoon

What probably nothing
    Why snow when I woke up
    Lyrics no

Yesterdays lyrics were "Hong Kong Garden" by Siouxsie and the Banshees, Chinese new Year. Used google translate yesterday.

Might grab something later or wait until tomorrow.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

alehouse hope niggle eases, hope it is indeed a niggle

what: well something but it depends onweather! meant to be track...

why: schedule

lasthard: yesterday morniing 13 mile lsr, nice steady run though

lasteasy: saturday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Happy belated birthday, 7D:  did the celebrations impact on your racing?

No snow here yet, although there's a bitterly cold wind.

Nice long run yesterday, Wabo: track for me tonight (only so that I can talk to someone, not to do anything on it!).

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Damn, I read the time for spinning for Friday accidentally, so it starts now and it's a 30 min walk away!  To dark and slippy to try a run with this cast, but want to get some exercise in...no idea what though...this is one of the only times I wish I had a gym membership!

Happy belated birthday 7D.

• Alehouse, emzap: not really, no! I had a couple on Friday but nothing major, and stayed off it on the day itself so I could hopefully run well for the 10k. Needn't have bothered!

Good run Wabo.

• sevendaughters - I'm sure you would have smashed 40 minutes if you hadn't doubled up! You raced a 5km and a 10km. If you'd had just a 5km jog the day before, I'm sure you would have been under.

alehouse - enjoy the track.

Little Miss Happy - what a wonderful feeling wanting to know how to hold yourself back! That must feel great!

What: Ran 24km on Sunday and 7km yesterday.

Why: Start of marathon training - Rotorua 4th May.

• Good work there on Sunday, NZC.

7D: just looked at the results. Hardly any PBs, and lots of people 2 minutes or so away from their best, reflecting the tough course. Your half a minute off your best looks good in comparison! The 40 minutes will come on the right course on the right day: no need to worry about it! Just keep your training consistent the way you have been! At present I would be more concerned about you getting your long runs in, preferably hilly, for the up and coming half. How many weeks until that?

Just a couple of k for me tonight, with a chat in between. Niggle is now in a different place, which in some ways is good!!

• Evening all!  Not caught up yet - just back from Skye where I spent a gloriously relaxing weekend, but still got my training in on very undulating roads!

Managed 7 on Saturday, 10 on Sunday and 6 today so a good weekends work.  Will read back now and catch up with any gossip. image

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Nice running NZC...

Just seen results from yesterday... I was 30th overall, very chuffed with that... image

/members/images/89739/Gallery/IMG_7741.JPG

Just finding my feet after a long climb.... (sshhh not in club colours for once...)

5.6m recovery tonight...

• Alehouse, you are clearly hungry to get back into the groove: if you are busy stalking the times of people in a race you didn't enter. "Hardly any PBs, and lots of people 2 minutes or so away from their best, reflecting the tough course. Your half a minute off your best looks good in comparison." We're going to have to keep a low profile!

An early finish at a local job for me today. From my available options were I decided that a run was preferred, and trotted 8.25 miles at a very pleasant 7:54m/m, well wrapped up. New trainers too!

• Decent run for a Monday, Blisters!  Re 7D's time I tend to look at a lot of the local races, particularly for runners from my own club. About time you updated your "about" on Pof 10, by the way! Talking of my club have been trying to track down NP: he has moved house and a couple of people haven't been able to get hold of him.

• ................are you happier now, Alehouse?

• Some stunning running over the weekend - Postie, RFJ. Frustrating 7D, but, many have made the same comment; it bodes well.

LMH - that is a really nice feeling, rare, but nice.  I'm sure others will have ideas for how to ensure that you peak on race day.  Nice to have got this far with all working well.

alehouse - niggle in a different place - I tend to regard that as a good omen. It may all be related, but I have a feeling that if a niggle hasn't settled to any particular place, there is a better chance of it not settling anywhere.

Tinebeest - fingers rcsoesd. When do you hear?

Me? Away for the weekend - as a combined birthday/Christmas gift daughter-out-law (and sometime LAMM partner) was given tickets for the Scotland-Italy game, she being a good Scot and fond of rugby.  Good game to go toimage.

A bit of incidental training did take place - stairs training (122 steps up the cathedral tower), followed by a quick walk up Arthur's seat.  Not a lot perhaps, but considering where I'm at, it will do.

Today - intended to run to work, but felt a muscle go in groin early on and slowed right down (even by my standards) to avoid further injury.  Instead did stairs - 5 reps at Asian Languages.  Encouraging, in a way.  Right leg had been very weak - completely unable to do stairs two at a time, but discovered if I really concentrated on core, 5 reps taking steps one at a time was well within my capabilities.  Even better, hips actually feel noticeably better than they did before starting with stairs again.  

Hope.  It's lovely stuff.

Take care all. 

• image I'm always happy, Blisters! Nice addition to your "about" by the way!

• Lovely to note that NZC and DD are both still hanging around.  Hope Rotarua prep goes well.  Sorry to hear that you've been off form DD.  Running marathons when ill, hmm, something familiar about that.  Take care.

• I'm sure that you could do some impressive analysis on that last cross country outing of mine. I shall merely add that it DOESN'T say DNF.