Mental illness and running

Comments

• Productive day by'eck - well done! Love ticking off a list image.

All moved and settles (sort of) and did my LSR of 16.5 this morning. In the snow. Lovely. Until I finished and got the tube back and pretty much got hypothermic...Typical

Hope people are good 

• Solb, I have also sorted out the textile recycling, put washing away, done the glass recycling and cooked tea.

Rwtw, I wish I had joined you. I don't mind snow running. My jacket is amazing.

Does anyone want some mugs? I have loads going spare. Also some bakeware. f you collect I'll even give you tea and cake
  • Aww that's really brilliant by eck. 

The lsr sounds brilliant rwtw well up until the chilly stage anyway .. hope you're warm now.

I'm in a brilliant mood, am grinning from ear to ear!  

• Can't help you with the mugs, by 'eck.  I live on my own, only have the occasional visitor or two and yet have about 8 mugs on the go.

Great effort there, rwtw.  I'm hoping my cold will be letting up enough to get out with the running club tomorrow night.

SOLB - any progress with your asthma at all?

• I think so ... I've started taking Singulair as well as the Fostair am and pm and Ventolin before and during runs. Running is still a bit tricky but I feel much much better the rest of the time so I think we're finally on the right track image 

I'm still running with spotty dog on his pooch to 5k programme every other day - though he has to have another minor op on Wednesday so we'll take a little break while he gets over the anaesthetic  

Awww poor poorly LR  

• That's good to hear. I do like the sound of spotty runs as well.

I think I'm getting a bit better.  At least when I've got a cold I'm not as depressed - as I'm too pre-occupied with the cold.  As the days gone on today I feel I've just started to feel a bit depressed as the cold lets up.  I've really got to learn to actually feel better instead of feeling depressed when there's nothing else to feel miserable about.

One positive was the night orienteering event last Thursday which I got totally engrossed in and ran well.  That's why I really want to pick up the running from there before I lose the momentum.

• Oh the night orienteering event sounds really good fun. 

You are being quite hard on yourself sweetheart, most people feel a bit depressed and frustrated when they are in the lingering stages of a cold still tired and wiped out and not having been able to do the things you usually do to give yourself structure and keep the black clouds at bay. 

It's really good to be aware of when you are seeing things through a negative filter, or even where you can identify some positives even if they are just little but you aren't wrong for feeling low either. You fight as much as you are able

• My point was that when my cold was at it's worst I didn't feel at all depressed.  I felt rubbish but wasn't being hard on myself for it because I felt there was a good reason for feeling rubbish.  But I'm not so kind on myself for feeling rubbish when I'm depressed.  That's the bit I've got to work on.  

The night orienteering is on 5 consecutive Thursday nights - 2 down, 3 to go.

• Ahh I see what you mean, makes sense. 

Ooo sounds really good, though I'd get lost even in the daytime! 

• Bad morning in the by eck household. Someone as meddled with our heating.
  • Oops, better put the kettle on and cuddle up.
  • They turned it up too high. 28c is far far far too warm.

I have been given more tasks to do.

How are you Solb?
  • My heating is playing up.  The timer keeps getting stuck so it tends to stay on when it is supposed to be turning off and the house is getting too hot.  So I am haivng to turn it off when I go out meaning that I come home to a cold house

• Well I'm going to attempt a running club run.  Feeling OK today but definitely still got a cough.  Will take a bottle of water with me.  If it's not to be at least I'll have tried.

• Run achieved - almost 6 miles as well.  It actually went better this week than the last couple of weeks.  Having the cold to worry about actually seemed to work better for me than worrying about the anxiety.  The cold was therefore a handicap but nowhere near as much of one as the anxiety normally is.  Really got to work on something here to be able to focus my thoughts in a better way when running.

Another action point identified.  A friend of mine has flagged up on her Facebook page something about Mental Health Awareness Week.  I know that she has suffered from depression herself - but it was somebody else who told me so I've been wary of bringing it up.  This gives me the chance to tell her about myself.  Hopefully this will be beneficial as I've found with people that know so far, a couple of friends who know do know try to be supportive but really don't seem to understand things- so opening up to someone else who will understand seems a good idea.

• That sounds really positive, being able to be honest makes life so much easier. I think 'coming out' with my mental health probs was an important step for me (though not right for everyone of course)

Speaking of coming out I have a new girlfriend, its early days but she makes me smile and so far OCD hasn't got in the way which is great. She knows all about the DID and OCD, she knows I can hallucinate and even that I've been in psychiatric hospitals and doesn't mind in the least. I was so so shocked that she is so comfortable with it, especially as she has no real experience of mental health problems herself.
  • Great news, solb. 

Got a message back from my friend.  Turns out she spent 10 years on anti-depressants is currently not on them but is going back to the doctors as is having a bad spell and thinks she'll have to start again.  Sad news again in that I didn't realise there was a problem again - but the good thing is there's someone locally that I can talk to and compare notes.

• Does a happy dance!

Thats wonderful Solb. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures together.

LR, it really helps knowjng that other people understand. I remember when moo's godmother told me she nearly ended up hospitalised with PND. It helped me feel less alone.

Tonight I get my Christmas present image
  • Oooo sounds exciting by eck, do you know what it is?
  • Yes, Mr by eck is taking me to dinner and a concert image in my gorgeous dress image
  • Ooh that's fantastic, yay!!!! 

I'm tired out, have been to see my half sister who is always a bit mean to me which made me sad but then called in and saw the minis so I'm happy again. I feel wiped out, I was supposed to be doing lots of stuff today and I've achieved nothing, I'm really running out of time too. I need to go out again now and I want to sleep instead. I feel a bit like I need to get a grip today! 

• Solb. I have started sorting and packing up the kitchen
  • I had a fun night out eating pancakes last night.

Just been proof reading through my job app, it looks fab. It gets submitted tomorrow. image

• Good luck Bear!

I've taken a risk and done something scary that I can't talk about on here.  I hope it turns out ok.

• Been lazy tonight (other than on the mundane forum) due to football being off due to untimely snow.  Dare I say I'm feeling a bit better at the moment. 

My boss paid a visit to the office today - but I totally wimped out of saying anything.  No regrets though - really need to think things through before doing anything like that - which I hadn't.

• *cautiously cheers for feeling better*

Hopefully you can relax again soon SCaz.

I have a toothache, I am considering being brave and trying to ring the dentists instead of emailing them
  • Our kitchen plans are up in the air again. The plumber we want can't do the dates we want.

Solb, I need to call the dentist too. And do more sorting
  • I did it, I did it!!! 
    HA HAAAAA take that OCD, I just phoned a total stranger and made an appointment for tomorrow - yay!!! I think I've beaten OCD too now, I still have to work at each thing but there doesn't feel like there's anything that's completely outside of my control (in theory, sure I'll still fall over a bit, and I choose to comply with some rituals) 

YAYYY!!!!!!!!

Hope you can find a handy plumber by eck 

• Dates have been shifted about to accommodate the plumber (she is very good and her apprentice is sweet too).

Well done Solb. Huge ocd busting hugs.

Moo and I haven't done much kitchen work, but have made some sparkly cards and played cards. After lunch will we curl up abd listen to a lovely, very special CD.