Webchat with physio Sarah Connors

Hello

Next Thursday (Feb 14) at 1pm, ASICS Pro Team Physiotherapist Sarah Connors will be joining us for a Q&A on injury prevention ahead of the high mileage weeks coming up in Spring mararthon training.

Join us here next week, or post your questions for Sarah in advance below.

For those who join us regularly for our webchats, note this one is on a Thursday rather than the usual Friday! image

Comments

• Ironic that we get to talk about aches and pains on Valentines Day.

As I have stepped up my training , I have started to get an ache in my lower back on the left handside. During my longruns I start getting aches and numbness down the top of my leg and as the run gets longer the front.

The numbness has stopped me doing any tempo work but I have managed to keep plodding out on long runs but need to stretch at regular intervals. Is this a sciatic problem + should i get some physio prior to Brighton Marathon.

• I've decided to have regular sports massages while training for my first marathon to try and keep the aches and pains at bay and avoid injury. So far I've had one (after 4 weeks of training) and have another one booked for the end of Week 8 (half way through my training plan). How often do you recommend booking them as the mileage increases towards the race?

• Hi Sarah,

I've always suffered from joggers/jumpers knee, but since I've lost weight I no longer require a patella strap during exercise, over the last couple of weeks I've notice my left calf at the top towards the outside tightens up around 9 miles into a run and the pain seems to radiate to the knee.

I currently do lots of foam rolling calf and outside of thigh and this helps and I recently started a body balance class to help with stretching and core, is there anything else I could be doing to help resolve the issue?

• Hi Sarah,  I had a pulled calf mid-last year early on in my training for NYC marathon.  I used KT tape on it after a lot of rest, and was able to get back to running in time for the race (that never happened). I'm now training for a spring marathon, and although no pain, I have noticed that sometimes the top of my foot is quite achy on that leg, and sometimes I do get some twinges in my calf towards the back of my knee whilst I am running.  I think the calf is still relatively weak compared to the other.

Would you recommend I continue to use the KT tape?  Any other advice?

• Hi Sarah,

I have really tight hamstrings, so much that I can just about reach my shins on a good day. I do pilates 3 times a week to help with stretching and flexibility and also work on strengthening my glute muscles so that my hamstrings don't always kick in, I also try to foam roller at least once a week. However there has been no improvement. I sometimes really struggle with lower back pain and have been advised by many professionals that it is all linked with my tight hamstrings and I need to stretch them, which I am constantly trying to do! I have also tried sports massage, osteopaths etc I am just not sure what to do next.

Any advice with specific exercises would be great. Thanks

• Hi Sara. please, please  answer this one if possible ...image

Lisa123 wrote (see)

Hi Sarah,

I have really tight hamstrings, so much that I can just about reach my shins on a good day. I do pilates 3 times a week to help with stretching and flexibility and also work on strengthening my glute muscles so that my hamstrings don't always kick in, I also try to foam roller at least once a week. However there has been no improvement. I sometimes really struggle with lower back pain and have been advised by many professionals that it is all linked with my tight hamstrings and I need to stretch them, which I am constantly trying to do! I have also tried sports massage, osteopaths etc I am just not sure what to do next.

Any advice with specific exercises would be great. Thanks

I've had problems with tight hamstrings before I started running and it lead to some achilles issues. Since taking up running I've had a few injuries, and tight hamstrings are usually involved. The last 6 months I've had pain at the pes anserine and put a lot of time into stretching the hamstrings and gracilis to no avail. I follow my physio' stretching / strengthening rehab routines, go to pilates where the teacher sees my hamstrings as a personal challenge, rollering, static and dynamic stretching, and have just started trying some Active Isolated Stretching. I just can't seem to lengthen out those hamstrings, especially the right leg. Please help the Tight Hamstrings Contingent!

• Hi Sarah,

I keep getting an on off niggle in my right hip, any exercises to relieve this? As I'm not in ky 70's I believe it's just a muscle problem. I have tried bathing after a run, saunas and cooling gels, but they only last for a while.
  • Hello Sarah,

When I start running at the moment I am getting a pain in the inside at the joint. Have been told one side of my hamstring or quad may be stronger and pulling it over. What is te best way to solve this?

Cheers

• Hi Sarah , having recently upped my mileage as part of VLM preparation I have started to get sore calves and quads . Although I know I need to ease off I am not sure how much as I dont want to lose touch too much with mileage build up. I am  a seasoned cross country club runner and soreness started after a long run following race the day before.

• Hi Sarah,

I'm more than half way through my training for a half marathon and have had to stop running for a week due to shin splints.  I am due to start running again and am a bit apprehensive as I feel I have some catching up to and need to step it up but I need to take it a bit easy as well. I plan on replacing one of my four weekly runs with a different type of cardio with less impact but what else can I do to gain strength in my legs that I have lost over the week of not running?

Many thanks,

Diana

• Hi Sarah

I have been suffering from bad hip pain if I run for more than 30 mins and it takes several weeks to go away.  It feels very localised and the pain is especially bad when getting up out of a chair/out of a car.  Please please please can you give me some advice?

Thanks!

• I suffer from cramping in my calf muscles which seems to happen most often the week before my period.  Is there a link?  I've spoken to my GP and she said she can't think of any reason why it should happen.  If I try to run through it I get pins & needles and then numbness in my feet.  No amount of stretching will loosen those muscles once they cramp up! In fact I have hurt myself trying to stretch them out.

Fortunately when it does happen I can't get much more than a mile down the road so I don't have too far to limp home.  Once I've sat down for 5-10 minutes the cramping eases and I feel fine again.  Any ideas how to stop this happening, or how to relieve it when it does?

• During last years VLM my hamstrings became very painful over the last 6 miles, this had never happened before. I'm just wondering what I should do if it happens again this year, last year I carried on through gritted teeth, but should I have stretched, stopped & rested or something else? The thought of it happening again fills me with dread.

• Hi Sarah, I am 37, been sporty all my life & have been jogging my dog for 5 years just above walking pace. Last year I ran my first half marathon leeds in 95 minutes and ran over 20 parkrun s. I also introduced interval training, 400m & mile reps.

I have a calf niggle and have backed off running in fear of injury, frustrating as leeds half is in 12 weeks. I was doing interval s twice a week, parkrun & a long run for 3 weeks, then an easy week.

What advice on how hard I can train & stretching please?

Any advice on sessions that are less punishing on calf?

Many thanks in advance.
  • Hi Sarah,

I have been injury free for a long time, and here it comes, I did a hill session and ever since I have a stain in my calf and ankle, I can still run, but it needs ice after each run,  have you any treatments or excercises you can recomend or should I be taking some rest before I make it any worse?

Thanks,

Reef

• Hi Sarah,

Would really appreciate your help - I have picked up a fairly bad case of ITB and would like your advice on getting back on the road as soon as possible. I know stretching is part of the answer but how much time should I take off (if any!).

Many thanks!

• Help required! image

After my long run I have developed acute pain along the length of the back left of my Right knee. I have never had knee trouble when running and am quite worried. It hurts in that area when I raise my knee only slightly off the ground, also when rotating. Stair climbing is quite painful. Any suggestion appreciated as I have a marathon in 8 weeks.

Many Thanks

Gary
  • I'd like to get some exercises that will help stretch my hip flexors. I get a dull ache between the inside groin and knee and the front of my hip gets tight - just on the right side, but v annoying. Also, some exercises for a sore achilles tendon (not very sore, but worried it could get worse!).

Thanks

• Hi Sarah, I am a 70 year old runner experienced for over 30 years, I should be running my 20th london marathon in april, however I damaged an ankle tendon before christmas last year which stopped my training and now have been suffering from a trapped nerve on the same ankle, manipulation has now freed it but when attempting a light run this week suffered a recurrence of plantar fascilitus on the same heel, I dont think I will be able to get eneough training to compete this years london marathon, do you think I should save my entry for next years event, thank you regards john hain.

• Hi Sarah,

I have been injury free for a year or so, having a small 2 week break due to sickness I have recovered and since being back cannot clear an achilles tendon ache. I've stayed off for 10 days or so but it just doesn't clear, there is no major pain but it turns to jelly after a run over 4-6 miles. As I train for 1/2 marathons and later this year Berlin I need some day to day advice to gradually strengthen the tendon - apart from stair 'tip toes' and 'hot cold' treatment - any ideas?????

Best Wishes, Martinimage

• Hi Sarah

I've developed pain underneath my keft kneecap below the knee and to the inside. I  don't feel it at all when I'm running or cycling, but it hurts going up and down stairs, sitting and squatting, especially in the morning. No heat or swelling, but I'm concerned as I've had  it about 4 weeks and have cut back my training mileage but it doesn't seem to be improving. I've been endurance training for the past 3 years, with a very gradual build-up to about 70 miles per week during marathon trinaing in the Spring and Autumn. I have a neutral gait (with a little supination on the left foot). I run in neutral shoes and enjoy wearing quite minimalist models (Kinvara/Green Silence). Any suggestions much appreciated.

Many Thanks

• Phil_HPhil_H ✭✭✭

Hi Sarah

I'm 57 and love hill running 10-20k races. I have used running as a back-mobilisation exercise after a L5/S1 discectomy in 2002. If I keep racing, I keep training, and my core strength and mobility keeps up to a great level. However, my current fitmess is being seriously hampered by recurrent achilees pain. I had an episode over a year ago diagnosed as tendonosis, and laid off for 3months, but during a training run before christmas I had a sudden pain and couldnt run properly. I stopped running completely for 5 weeks (but continued mountain biking), and then resumed training and racing this year but have been getting achilees pain after racing which sounds just like that metioned in Scott Mitchell's blog ! I feel I really need to know how to recover properly this time, and how to avoid it again, as not-running doesnt seem to do enough ! Help please !  Phil

• I am training for my first marathan at 35 year old.  My fitness is good and training was going well until this week I ran 13 miles on my long run and all around my left knee ached.  It is still aching now although not as severe.  The top of my left leg has started aching as well.  Is this just my body getting used to the extra mileage and if so what is the best form of treatment to reduce the pain? 

• Hi Sarah,

I tripped and fell whilst jogging on New Year's Day landing hard on my right knee, it cut & bruised but appeared healed after a week or so. I then continued on with my normal exercise routine without any niggles until about 2 weeks later when I went for an early morning 10k run. It was fine during the run but by the afternoon it got really stiff, made me limp and made it awkward walking up and down stairs.

I went to see my doctor who prescribed anti-inflammatory tablets for a week as well as plenty of rest but it has now been 2.5 weeks since that point and I can see no improvement. When I walk on it after a short while it seizes up and stiffens and is worse up and down stairs.

I am not sure my doctor knows what is wrong, he said he could feel no fluid and see no obvious signs to the surface of my knee but I am getting really frustrated now as it is not improving and the fall was about 6 weeks ago!

The nhs waiting list for physio is 16 weeks and I only recently signed up for my 1st half marathon which I am really keen to start training for but at the moment can see no end in sight!

Any advice/help is much appreciated

Thank you!! image
  • Hi Sarah,

I fell very badly on my left ankle last May and heard/felt something click/snap. Prior to this I had been going to gym, doing some running etc on a regular basis for around 6-9 months. I rested, raised and put ice on it etc, it was heavily swollen, badly bruised and painful to walk/run on for a number of weeks afterwards.

I recently started jogging/running again at the beginning of this year and have noticed a similar pain on the outside of my left foot, half way down my foot, as well as a small raised quite hard lump. I have had an xray which has come back negative, but whenever I run on it the pain returns and lump quite prevalent.

I guess it's muscle, tissue damage but was wondering if you could give me your opinion on what it could be, how to prevent further damage and how to get running again without the pain/with less pain?

Many thanks,

Markus
  • Any first time posters who are looking at this thread and have a question for Sarah please dont be put off by some of the responses that are occurring

The last time we had a physio Q&A I found that particularly useful and learnt a lot more from reading others

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    HOLLIE HOLDEN wrote (see)
    Hi Sarah,
    I tripped and fell whilst jogging on New Year's Day landing hard on my right knee, it cut & bruised but appeared healed after a week or so. I then continued on with my normal exercise routine without any niggles until about 2 weeks later when I went for an early morning 10k run. It was fine during the run but by the afternoon it got really stiff, made me limp and made it awkward walking up and down stairs.
    I went to see my doctor who prescribed anti-inflammatory tablets for a week as well as plenty of rest but it has now been 2.5 weeks since that point and I can see no improvement. When I walk on it after a short while it seizes up and stiffens and is worse up and down stairs.
    I am not sure my doctor knows what is wrong, he said he could feel no fluid and see no obvious signs to the surface of my knee but I am getting really frustrated now as it is not improving and the fall was about 6 weeks ago!
    The nhs waiting list for physio is 16 weeks and I only recently signed up for my 1st half marathon which I am really keen to start training for but at the moment can see no end in sight!
    Any advice/help is much appreciated
    Thank you!! image

Dear Hollie, how is your sex life? I think if you have a good shag lined up, your running will improve. Cross training is underrated.

Seriously KK, that is just rude, you dont like a thread, fine, but dont be nasty to people.

• Hi Sarah,

I have started to get a numb foot and then a sore shin whilst out on runs of 6 miles plus, also the whole leg feels weaker than other leg and compared to before, the same doesnt happen in speed sessions.  I have flat feet and new shoes that I wear with my insoles from the podiatrist.  Im just wondering if you think this is a shoe problem (not enough support) or something else?

Thanks

Jamie