SPARE VLM PLACES OR REMAINING REASONABLE CAHRITY PLACES

Like most people I really want to run London this year and never more so than now.
My friend secured a place under GFA having been pulled around the qualifying event by myself. Being slightly older I was not in the same league of GFA to qualify myself.
We have run everywhere together and having completed 6 local marathons already and 10-11 halfs I know this is no easy task.
My friend is not planning on running this again and to not run with her this time would be really sad having not shared that experience and enjoyment.
We are already in full training in hope that something will come up. Perhaps a so called celeb might drop out !!
I was unlucky in the ballot as per a number of previous years and looking at the charity places not sure I can raise the £1500 required by most, let alone secure a place.
Has anyone got any ideas how they can help, I don't mind trying to get £750 - £900 but I am a bit limited on who I can call on to help raise this. Alternatively as many people start to drop out through injury does anyone have a place that they would negotiate with me on rather than see it go to waste. It's amazing how many places fall by the wayside once it's known what this race entails and is a shame.
To compete this year would be an amazing life changing event and a great story in the making.
PLEASE HELP !

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Nicaragua Solidarity Campaign , don't fancy trying to raise ??1375 for them.

It's not like you can include the line "a charity very close to my heart" in your fundraising literature.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Shadwell wrote (see)

Like most people I really want to run London ...

I'd take issue with that - I know lots of people who run but don't enter the ballot for London.

It really ISN'T a life-changing event, it's an over-crowded marathon - no more, no less, especially as you are already a runner, and already run marathons.

• It is what it is. I really like it as an event, having run it once and spectated many times. I know all the arguments about 'is it a proper marathon or just a charity event' inside out, but it's still a great spectacle. (And, hey, I managed to get a ballot place through my club this year.)

• I don't think there is a "clearing" system for VLM places, like there is for University entry. As far as I understand it, once all the places are allocated by VLM race organisers those places are fixed and people can't return their places to VLM for redistribution. Frankly, why on earth would VLM want to be involved in the enormous headache that this would entail. Likewise, i'm not aware of any system of returning golden bond places to the charities so that they can reallocate in the event that runners have to withdraw before the race.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The organisers take into account that there will be a certain % of no shows.

Not sure what happens If everyone who entered actually turned up.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The emergency services must be prepared for big changes in numbers as the number of spectators will vary massively depending on the weather.

They have also been doing it for over 30 years so have plenty of experience.
  • Since about year 6 of the Londno Marathon, the DNS rate (allocated a place but did not start) has been fairly consistent at between 25 and 30%.

I'd agree with millsy that the race organisers can pretty much bank on about 25% not turning up to the start line. This equates to approx 35,000 starters out of 50,000 successful applicants. Not hugely surprising when you consider the london marathon is a very popular mass participation event, and many of the successful applicants will be first time marathoners or infrequent runners, so the injury rate will probably be quite high during training, as will be the "christ, i didn't expect it to be hard" rate. But once they've rocked up to the start line, that same demographic will feel compelled to complete the race, having raised money for charities and dressed up like Spongebob Squarepants, even if they have to walk the second half.

• if you think the numbers are not accurate, there's a contact page on that website, listing kez@londonmarathoner.com

I'm sure he or she would be happy to verify the sources used.

• CHILDREN 1ST - Running [Running.Mailbox@children1st.org.uk]

These guys had charity places for 1k (down from 2k) a few days ago.

• I'm not surprised by either figure, David. Once you start at London, you're on a course that is usually packed with people urging and willing you to go on. I'd be more surprised if the marathon went out into the countryside and no one was watching it - it does make a difference.

• I seem to remember seeing a couple of years ago that the DNS rate was insultingly high, but the DNF figure was relatively low, about 400 (1% or so).

Something like 7,000 golden bond places not registered to start...

• i think the average finish time is about 4 and a half hours, and there are still plenty of charity runners walking home after 5 or 6 hours, so I'd agree with Peter, that once on the start line, the obstacles to completion are low, hence the low DNF %age.

I've said many times that practically anyone can walk around a flat marathon course with thousands of people cheering support, and many people do just that.

I would imagine less popular races, or those that attract more hardened runners, but with less support, probably have lower DNS rates as fewer inexperienced runners will enter some bleak january sufferathon across the peak district.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

I can see why such a high % of people do finish London as for many it is their "once in a lifetime" marathon. They will probabaly never do another one so might as well walk around if the going gets tough. They are also not going for a time so just to finish is a sucess. Even if they have to walk the last 13 miles they have still achieved their goal.

• Did Shadwell get a place then, I heard that the deadline for the charities to register their runners has gone now

I was just been nosey lol