Great North Run 2013

Comments

• That dream has made me laugh out loud!  Especially the bit about me joining the Willy Wonka team ... as if they'd have me!

(is it too early to start getting excited about TR24?  image)

• Mandie - when you have these dreams do things usually turn out wel...or is it a bad omen???? XL - might not be too keen on the idea of being present at an endurance event methinks.image

• Mandie - being the amateur dream analyst that iam, i believe that dream signifies you are properly mad bonkers.

Shielsey - you would always be welcome as part of the wonkas ! We would just need to ensure you keep a 2 feet exclusion zone round all guy ropesimage

Im already in planning mode for tr24 ! Need a new headtorch this year and planning on when to buy my new road shoes so my current ones can become my tr24 ones !!

Club grand prix tonight, last one was cancelled due to ice so looking forward to tonights, 3.55 miles and current pb of 24:2? , aiming for a 23 something tonight
  • Mandie/Shielsy - I'm excited about TR24! And I am doing the Lightning Run too image  Don't worry about the nightmares Mandie - I'll be having them once we get the London Marathon out of the way....

I need a new head torch also mr sj - need to find one that is nice and bright....  Good luck with the Grand Prix tonight image

Fiona - there would be nothing to stop XL coming down just for the craic if he so wished!image

Hi Bearsted image

• mr sj wrote (see)
    Mandie - being the amateur dream analyst that iam, i believe that dream signifies you are properly mad bonkers.

I agree. As mad as a box of frogs. image

• Right you lot I seem to have an injury I have not had before and I need to know what t might be. It is a sharp pain when I run just to the left and slightly below my left knee cap - it's almost as though I just want to click it back into place. I am hopeful it is not major but I am a little nervous on that.
  • Bearsted Plodder wrote (see)
    Right you lot I seem to have an injury I have not had before and I need to know what t might be. It is a sharp pain when I run just to the left and slightly below my left knee cap - it's almost as though I just want to click it back into place. I am hopeful it is not major but I am a little nervous on that.

I've been getting a little knee niggle which sounds a bit like that too, BP.  Nothing so bad that it stops me running though, but on my long run on Saturday I felt a sharp stabbing pain which thankfully only lasted a few seconds but in that time I did think my knee was going to buckle.  I was fine after that though.

How's the achilles, XL?

Hill session tonight with the club - 12 times up and down, no recoveries.  4.15 miles in total.  I didn't go all out because of the Royal Signals relays at the weekend, so Vicki and I just ran it steadily together (though I was still shattered by the end.)

• Shielsy - that is some session well done. I have an awful idea I may have an ITB issue as pain is there all the time when running. I will start to do the stretches needed to see if I can release it. Failing that it will be a physio to see if that is what it is and then the very very painful ITB strip
  • Bearsted - I'd go with the ITB strip before it gets more painful than it is.....

Hi Shielsy! image

• Cheers Vixx - I am going to stretch for next 2 nights with rest and then try my long run Saturday and if no good then I will go for strip
  • Evening everyone,

Well i managed a pb in the grandprix but it wasnt what i wanted and found it really hard going, ran a 24:15 for the 3.56 miles, about 20secs quicker than ever before but i thought i was capable of a sub 24 but just seemed to run out of steam at thealf way point.

Oh well theres always next time !
  • That's still a great time mr sj! Well Done! image

• Well done mr sj. I had to abort a training session on treadmill due to knee issues.

• well done mr sj- that's a good pace.

Vixx- father christmas brought me a new head torch that you can probably see from the moon. Its ridiculously bright: http://www.zweibrueder.com/ENG/produkte/html_highperformance/html_Hserie/h7.php?id=h7

• Well done on your Grand Prix time, mr sj.

I'm just back from 9 miles ran in a blizzard.  It was pretty unpleasant.  No, scratch that ... it was probably the most unpleasant running experience I've had to date.  Snow doesn't half hurt your face when it's lashing into you ... like millions of little stings!

So the snow and wind is back yet again .... hooray!!!  image

I'm now off to stand under the shower for half an hour to try and warm up, and then it's off to see Les Miserables at last (I felt like one of the cast myself out there!).  Here's hoping I don't fall asleep in the cinema.

• Shielsy you will really enjoy Les Mis I went last week and it was brilliant and I even stayed awake for whole thing!!

• Shielsy, you ran 9 miles in the weather today? You have my admiration and respect. I ran the mile to and from the gym this morning and that was quite enough thanks very much. A really cold biting wind with snow thrown in too. Horrible! At least we're getting a couple of milder days coming up.

mr sj, congratulations on your Grand Prix PB last night. Surely you can't be too disappointed with knocking 20 seconds of your best time. There's still the one in March to come and if conditions are good, you can really go for it then. I just missed a sub-24 minutes run by a couple of seconds but tell myself it was because I took that downhill ramp a bit slower than usual in case there was ice (as there has been before). At the end a team-mate told me the marshalls at the top had been telling people it was OK but I never heard them.

Bearsted Plodder, I hope you manage to sort your knee problem. Resting it may be sensible, however frustrating that is.

• Shielsy- enjoy Les Mis- if you are like my OH, take a large box of hankies (or two)!  Its a great film and one of those that needs to be seen on the big screen. 

I've just got in from 11 miles in sleet and snow- but I expect its a bit warmer down here than up north.  Even so, I wore 2 layers, 2 prs of gloves, a hat and my buff (and a pair of shorts of course) which is a lot for me.  Warm shower, here i come...

• I can't wait to see Les Mis ... I haven't seen it on stage but really want to, and have the concert dvds and soundtrack, so I'll have to stop myself from singing along.

I need to get one of those buff thingies ... my neck was really cold when I started out.  In fact, what I really could have done with today is a balaclava, with just holes for my nose, mouth and eyes.

*wonders if you can get pink balaclavas*

• Shielsey - here you go - http://www.buzzillions.com/image.dox?R=752182. Although it doesnt come in pink !

Graham - i didnt hear anyone mention anything about the ramp either and i also took it a bit easy going down and the turn at the bottom, next time i will go sub 24 !!
  • Evening all,

Les Miserable (no idea what it's about or how to spell it) just arrived in our crummy cinema last week. I think i'll be able to watch it next week.
    I think it's about a girl who doesn't have much hair singing a song while people run around. At least that's what the trailer showed.

• Mick 'Stringy' wrote (see)

I think it's about a girl who doesn't have much hair singing a song while people run around. At least that's what the trailer showed.

I'm available for Film 2014 if the job is available. image
    I'm going to do some research befoere I watch the film. I want to find out who Les is.

• Mick 'Stringy' wrote (see)

Sound like the Magic Roundabout- for those of us old enough to remember it...

• Morning all

Shielsy - hope you enjoyed Les Miserables. Well done on the 9 miles. I remember thinking the same thing  while running in torrential rain and a howling gale at a race a few years ago. How can water hurt so much. image

OS - it was pretty cold outside last night.  I did 14 miles and for the first time ever wore 2 pairs of tights. image Husband thought I was bonkers (.......I know  so don't say it!)

Mr SJ - well done on the PB, 20 secs is a lot to take off over that distance.

Graham - well done too. Probably best to be cautious, the last thing you want is to twist something and be out of the game completely for ages.

• Well done on the 14 miles last night Fiona.  I've no idea how you managed it ... round our way at least the wind was really wild yesterday evening; definitely 'batten down the hatches' weather.

mr sj - thanks for the link.  I'm actually not sure I'd have the guts to wear one of those things, but could you imagine running up to a person wearing one?  They'd be terrified.

Hi Stringy - you've summed up Les Miserables pretty succinctly image - it was indeed all about a woman with a skinhead singing while others ran around the place, sometimes waving flags.  It was also a bit like 'The Fugitive - The Musical'.

No running for me for 2 days now ... hooray.

• Fiona, I fell and fractured my shoulder back in the summer so am super-cautious now!  You're certainly getting the miles in and not letting the cold put you off your long runs.

• Shielsy - it was pretty windy with us too.  I just seemed very lucky last night that the direction of the wind was such that I was pretty much sheltered from it. I only had one bit where I was actually running into a headwind which made a nice change. image

Graham - I'm hoping all these miles are going to pay off in a shiny new PB. I can understand why you are super careful now.

• And of course today, when I'm back at work and don't have to run, it's back to blue skies and calm weather image

• Its definitely warmer down here in Derbyshire! Queue me with hat/ gloves and buff this morning, having to take that all off not long after I'd set out.

Anyway....proper pleased with my little self - up to 5 miles in just on an hour - my longest run yet and dropped 11 lb since the start of the year. Its all good so far, and really enjoying having the GNR to aim at.

• Fiona- that's soo unusual to have a run where there isn't a headwind, no matter what direction you're running in!