Sports you hate

Which sport do you hate watching? What form of exercise do you hate doing?

I'll start :

I hate to row. I'm rubbish at it, find it uncomfortable and boring. I like watching it though image

And while I don't hate football per se, I hate how much exposure it gets and how much airtime and column inches are taken away from sports I do like.

Comments

• I hate tennis as a spectator sport. Can't see the attraction. Good game to play though. I like rugby union, but can't see what people see in the league version. Basketball leaves me completely cold - what's the point of a sport in which you score so many points? The beauty of football is that goals are at a premium. In the Olympics I thought all the hype over handball was misplaced. I saw some professional handball in Germany and all that happens is the teams surround the goal area at one end or the other. Boring. Of other sports, Aussie Rules is excellent live, and I quite like the hurling and the Gaelic football in Ireland.

• Boxing. Any contest that you win by knocking the other guy senseless is not a sport.

Darts. It's not a sport.

• What a great idea for a thread Xine. Nice.
  • Turning this round on it's head I can't understand why more people don't watch Biathlon. Cross Country skiing and shooting. An amazing spectator sport. The last two pursuit races at the world championship were the most amazing races and yet went unnoticed on the whole in the UK. Knocks the spots off Rugby, Boxing, Formula One and even boring old football.
  • Peter, seriously. Rugby League is ace & exciting to watch. Bigger faster players than union. The fact you get only 6 tackles to score makes it more exciting to both watch & play (done both to good level) than union. The fact that League players move to union when they get older and start to slow ie. Robinson, Farrell etc. shows how fast paced and tough League is.

I hate to watch test cricket. Quite like 20/20 and ltd overs but test cricket can just go on and on.

Darts is also good to watch but is a pastime more than a sport.
  • I'm often told this, owl, but every time I watch it I just see lines moving up and down the field - tackle comes in, game stops, tackle comes in, game stops and so on. I'm no massive fan of union, but when you get a good game (and, yes, it can be dull) you get more variety than league to my mind. How anyone can dislike Test cricket is beyond me - perhaps the best game on earth, and I say that as a massive football fan. Cricket is a wonderful fusion of individual and team talent. The shorter forms of the game are horrid.

• i find rugby league a wee bit one-dimensional. union, while admittedly slower and more technical, has many more facets: rucks, mauls, scrums, line-outs.

I am the only Scotsman alive who loves cricket. like Peter only the test version (one-days at a push but never 20/20)

but test cricket is beautiful. it is war without guns. in a frantic, high-paced world, the beauty of cricket is that it slows. life. down. teaches us to consider the lilies of the field.

every sport has its place really. as a spectator or participant.

except netball.

• Snooker. Absolutely pants to watch. Okay to play with mates over a pint, but sitting watching it for hours, and having to be quiet. Its like watching an old person do knitting..

• i find it quite soothing. snooker is zen.

• Cricket. Seriously, 5 days ?

Darts is great to watch, and fantastic live purely for the atmosphere but I agree its not a sport. Then again, I don't see how sitting on a horse and steering it is a sport either.
  • I like watching netball image.

Can't stand Formula 1 and soccer is over-rated.

• Formula 1 is ok on in the background when doing the ironing.

Football is over hyped

I like the more unusual sports that get shown on TV infrequently, 3 day eventing is the first one that springs to mind but also triathlon and athletics, but even althetics can get a bit boring by the end of the season.  I probably like these sports because they are infrequent so I don't get bored of them.

Getting rid of the seasonal aspects of sports was probably the worst thing they ever did

• NLR you are not totally alone with Biathlon. I have been watching its for a few years now. and yes the world champs this year have been fantastic.

only sport i don't like to watch is horse racing dull dull dull
  • Triathlon I love. Can watch an entire race at the Olympic distance but have to admit we have been spoilt watching the Brownlees in recent years. Most sports become a bit more interesting if there is some British interest. However in Biathlon there is no British success but I love to watch it anyway. Norway is my adopted country but I can cheer on the Russians, The Ukrainians, The Swedes and even the Germans. But not The French obviously.
  • Ha NLR Norway is my favorite country in Biathlon...cant support the Germans.

• Rich Jackson wrote (see)
    Cricket. Seriously, 5 days ?

Darts is great to watch, and fantastic live purely for the atmosphere but I agree its not a sport. Then again, I don't see how sitting on a horse and steering it is a sport either.

Rich Jackson wrote (see)

Rich Jackson wrote (see)

Ever done "proper" horse riding? For me it counts as a sport having ridden dressage for several years.

Don't think darts is a sport and also find cricket boring to watch....but that might be because i don't understand the rules.

• Horse racing is boring.  Dressage is boring because they rarely take the time to explain what the purpose of it is and how points are scored.  I love the cross country stuff and the jumping is made more exciting because it is the last event therefore decides the winner.

• I don't like playing team sports as a rule.  I always feel that I'm the weak link and letting everybody else down.  I guess I'm not competitive enough to want to win.

• No, never did 'proper' horse riding. I have nothing against it, just don't see it as a sport. I watch motor racing and while I think it's skilful and entertaining I wouldn't really call it a sport.

At the peak of a dressage horse's gymnastic development, the horse will respond smoothly to a skilled rider's minimal aids. The rider will be relaxed and appear effort-free while the horse willingly performs the requested movement

Just doesn't sound like a sport to me, entertainment to some I'm sure (including my daughter)
  • if you are watching horse racing for entertainment I think you my be missing the point image

I agree football is overhyped but i still love it. I go not for the sport so much as the cameraderie. some people go to coffee shops or pubs to be with their mates. I go to the football. it is nice to be with people who care about the same thing. that is important to me.

• Another vote for Rugby League - someone once decribed it as "formation mugging" and I can't disagree with that.

Can't stand F1 either, noisy and boring.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Turning this round on it's head I can't understand why more people don't watch Biathlon. Cross Country skiing and shooting. An amazing spectator sport. The last two pursuit races at the world championship were the most amazing races and yet went unnoticed on the whole in the UK. Knocks the spots off Rugby, Boxing, Formula One and even boring old football.

Except in my house. Been following the last four years.

Tora Berger wins again.

🙂

• Love watching football, cycling, American football, basketball, ice hockey, F1.

Hate with a passion rugby and cricket.

I like playing snooker and golf, but for the life of me I'll never understand how people can not get bored watching them as spectator sports. Even more so how anyone can watch darts, if you can even class that as sport.

I enjoy triathlons, but actually think professional triathlon is a terrible spectator sport due to them being allowed to draft on the bike.

• darts is fast-paced. and it also helps with your arithmetic! image

snooker is great. it is a bit boring but there's nothing wrong with that. boring is good.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Love watching football, cycling, American football, basketball, ice hockey, F1.

Hate with a passion rugby and cricket.

I like playing snooker and golf, but for the life of me I'll never understand how people can not get bored watching them as spectator sports. Even more so how anyone can watch darts, if you can even class that as sport.

I enjoy triathlons, but actually think professional triathlon is a terrible spectator sport due to them being allowed to draft on the bike.

Interesting points here inasmuch as some sports are good to take part in but not so good to watch.

"Personally speaking, I don't get much of a thrill watching others do things I could myself. For similar reasons I don't watch blue movies." (Quote from the late John Darling)

🙂

• I don't "hate" any sport, that's much too strong a word. I watch sports I like and don't watch if I don't. Simples.

• Boxing, MMA, all that octagon shite, it's just senseless violence for no reason. I don't see how people can enjoy watching someone get beat up.

And I don't like football either, I don't hate it, but I'd rather watch paint dry than a world cup final. Just bores me.