Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• sweetfet....good swimming there...........

Postie...why on the turbo ... have you still got snow there......

We got some more here but its all cleared now for rain..............started about 7am this morning just as i started my long run........wished i had worn trail shoes but there was no sign of snow until the first mile

• Getting a little worried I only manage 1600metres in my 1 hour swims and the pool is weird so I can't acutally swim for longer than an hour at any point apart from weekends anyway.
    I've just checked out the other two local pools timetables and they're the same. I'm hoping adding the 3rd swim each week will help me improve and then I may have to take some time off or something to fit in longer swims or try and fit them in at the weekend alongside the longer bikes and runs. 

• i won't ever get to 3k.......

in the pass i have managed to get up to 2400m in an hour......and have always been safely through the swim

• 3hr turbo. Wow. I'm impressed.

Bike done runun done and swim swum, so feeling good if not tired. Week's a bit messed up. Never done all 3 on same day before and nearly didn't swim.

Lots of people here seem to have problems with swimming times and too many people etc. Seems I'm rather lucky. I've never been on a wed before but still very few people. In fact half way through the life guard came and told me I needed to leave as it was then oap's for the next hour, but I was the only one in my lane so we negotiated that I could stay. There were 3 people in lane next to me and about 5 in rest of the pool! 

• Seren we do have snow here tonight but I have been doing my long cycle on the turbo as the TT bike is on it and it is good practice for getting down in the aero position without fear of some idiot knocking me off the bike. (That and I have season 4 of 24 to watch!).

I struggle to get decent swim sessions in, next week is a mare as it is half term here, I will be lucky to get one in.
  • Chin up AliBear, I am in a similar situation. Monday and Thursday nights are limited to an hour. Monday is so busy I'm lucky to get 45 minutes in and Thursday I have the pool to myself, which means I'm getting the 2.5k in...just.

I don't see it changing until OW season starts in April which means the longer sessions will have to wait.

Yay, reason to celebrate. Tonight's brick session took me through the 1000km covered since training started back on Dec 10th. I know Fink is not about distance but time (55 hours logged to date), still chuffed though

• Supposed to be a brick for me tonight, bike done fine, but my achillies was painful in the run, so the run ended up being 0.4 miles image

Seren is it half term down your way this week or next? need to go down Cardiff to use go swimming on friday.

• I wouldnt say it is a bad thing but I would suggest looking for a bit of balance.

Posives for Turbo include lower risk of accident/puncture, steady consistent pedalling & ability to do sets you struggle to do on the road due to junctions, traffic etc.

Benefits of actually getting out are a more race specific experience, improve bike handling skills, learn to cope with punctures etc.

I turbo during the week but try and get out into the real world at the weekend. It's got to stop raining, sleeting, snowing soon...

• Looking at the weather forecast it looks like a great weekend to be out on the bike this weekend image

• i hope thats right BBT as I'm doing the reliability 100 with teh ajax bike club on sunday..

its half term here.not sure about cardiff schools

i know donar is doing all his winter training on  a turbo........i prefer to get out.......i think that for the long rides you really have to try and get out there epsecially if you haven't done previous long rides before........

but you have to balance that with staying safe on ice and snow....to be honest its not a bad thing to get a puncture out especially if wet as you learn just how slow you are changing them with tears running down your face

• I do all my weekday interval 'hurt' stuff on the turbo. I can barely breathe or see so it wouldn't be safe to do this on the roads. I try to get out at the weekend on the road for a few hours. If it's really crappy out I'll do a longer slightly easeir turbo and extend my run.

BrokeButTri'ng wrote (see)

Looking at the weather forecast it looks like a great weekend to be out on the bike this weekend image

Meh! Supposed to be racing Sat (ETU Du qualifier) but it is postponed due to a waterlogged transition. And we're busy on the new date.

• Long ride done. Weather really good it. My sundays seem to have become a bit booked up but hopefully back to long rides at weekends next week.

• EP, don't worry about over doing the turbo. In my first 10 weeks I have got out on the road a grand total of...drum role...ONCE!

A combination of weather (i live in the Peak District so it has been bad) and when i can do the long ride (have to be back on the Saturday to take my eldest to dance class at 09:30am) means the turbo is just more convenient at the moment.

As soon as the road is ok at 6am, i will be on the road like a shot though (fingers crossed this saturday)
  • 2.5k zombie swim completed last night in under 45 minutes. If I can keep that up on the day I will skip out of that lake a happy man
  • You're a torpedo, Stanners!
  • Nice one Stanners, do you have a target time for Outlaw?
  • Makes a mental note to throw a rope round stanners ankle and get a tow in the swim.
    Run done this morning, brick session planned for tonight. Feeling much perkier than I have all week which is great.3HR bike tomorrow, do I turbo it on my road bike that is setup for me, or do I risk it on the cheapy road bike that's a bit small. The turbo is in the loft so not easy to take it out.Also kids are now home so I'm leaning towards turbo, but then they're 14 & 15 and can cope.Decisions decisions.

Is any one else trying to figure out how they'll do the effort sessions that start from next week? My running watch doesn't have a function to setup alerts, well I don't think it does it's a 110 . I guessing my bike one does as it's the 810 but I shall have to have a read up to set them up.

Fun times ahead, I'm not even sure how I'll mangae the efforts physically. The 1 min sprints after just 10mins seem a stretch. I'm still trying to stop resembling bamby on ice at that point, I only hit my stride after about 30 mins.

Ah well no one said this would be boring and it certainly isn't. image

• Doing my 3 hour on turbo now - want ankle to be stronger before I venture out onto the road. Got 21 mins left ...

... Next week is less so might carry on the turbo until it goes over 3 hours. Running out of stuff to watch now, though, been watching Utopia on 4Od, but its nearly finished ...might try black mirror next
  • Ali I can use my old running watch to do the sprints, I also have used my phone in the past, I just set a timer up on that, that worked well apart from when I dropped the phone image

4k swim today, had to change what I had planned to do because a bloody family decided to take over my lane and the lane next to me, the kids came in my lane and were swimming back bloody stroke going from one side of the lane to the other, I guess its good training for avoiding over people, but do you think it would have looked bad if I had just swum over the kid? image

13 mile time trail this evening knocking 2 minutes off my last pb so pleased with that image

• managed a run this morning and now a rest day before sundays big bike rideimage

• for those of you that are finding ot hard to get the hours on the bike,.........i just want to say that the feeling of getting off the bike and being  outside the cutoffs is horrendous..........as you are standing there with tears in your eyes .. there are people still coming out of transition and going out on the run.....and you have had your chip taken off you............one of the worst feelings i have ever had and my only DNF that i can remember in any race........the feeling from IMW 2011 is still with me and its what gets me out on the bike in the rain and the wind in the winter.........

so if its wet or cold get out there if you can ( ice and snow is different)...

• Oh dear Seren, how long do you get before your bike is confiscated?

BBT, very amusing thinking of you powering over some little kid. image

Stanners, your 2.5K effort inspired me to give it a solid effort today, not quite as quick as you but managed 45:31 although was blowing a bit by the end. Not really "comfortable" but could have carried on for a bit longer though not another 1.3K! Anyway, solid PB for me so pleased that the training is paying off.
  • not sure about outlaw but ironman is usually quicte strict on the cutoffs.........i know that a few people missed the swim cutoff at outlaw so it seems like they might be just as strict.....

i was praying all the way down the last hill into tenby that they would be generous  but it was not to be..........

• Outlaw cut off was 2:20 to be out of T2, and something like 4:30pm for the bike.