ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

DS/Malcs/Sarah.. next time my legs get tired, I'm going to try speeding up image

Tigger, hope you have a great time away half term... but swimming in the sea this time of year sounds as appealing as the ice baths the guys have being trying to promote!!

• I wouldnt even swim in the sea in summer...im such a wimp!

DS2, can I ask you a quick work question....if your having a suspension spring replaced because one is broken....should the other one be done at the same time?

I decided to book the monday off after TR24 today...just incase!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2/Sarah - very interesting to hear you find the same thing with the legs. I feel suitably reassured.

Sarah - good idea re. the Monday after TR24. Many people camp over on the Sunday to recover before driving home, though it's mainly the nutters in the pairs or solo categories. Last year Mrs Malcs did the driving home - just as well, I was spent. Had the best nights sleep of my life that Sunday evening image

Tigger - I get that kind of pain alot and it's always relieved by stretching. Agree with DS2, most likely hip flexors. I find the "pigeon pose" stretch works wonders (freakin' odd name - see Google). Can't say I can complete the full stretch but it really does help to loosen things up in the hip, groing and glute areas.  

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Sarah - not sure where you got the idea that I am any kind of car mechanic - sadly, I do something far less useful to society and help feed the insatiable lust for capitalism this world seems to embrace - I invest people's money!!! (usually rich people so they can have even more!!!).

Having said that a couple of years ago I had exactly the same issue as you due to a rather large pothole in the lane in which I live. I had to have the spring replaced because it had snapped in two. My experience of my dealer (Alfa Romeo) is that they would use any opportunity to drag every penny out of me for whatever reason they could..............but on that occasion they said it wasn't necessary to replace the other one. They did try to convince me to change the 'sports shock absorbers' to 'comfort' versions at a princely sum of £800 though. That was typical of them.

I hope your car is repaired soon, fairly and cheaply. What have you been told?

Malcs - glad you feel reassured. I seem to experience this on nearly every run at the moment. I'm sure it's as a result of running on tired legs.

Agree - Pigeon Pose is about the best thing for hip flexor stretching Tigger!

• Haha this tigger is posing as a pigeon!

Swimming this afternoon 10 miler in the morning lets see how it goes!!

Sun is out here and it's glorious!! nothing like a spot of sun to make you want to head out for a run!

Have you all seen that the the Thunder run is now full!! So excited!! are we all heading on the Friday to camp, what are the chances of getting close pitches? 

• No idea where I got that idea from DS2...met so many people at bootcamp...i think I may have got a few peoples careers mixed up....your job sounds quite interesting.

My dad actually took my car in to be repaired so I wouldnt be conned but he came back saying that both springs had to be repaired as they have to be changed in pairs (like tyres). I thought fair enough but I decided to look at my cars 5th service when i had my suspension springs first changed and they had only done the one side (but actually charged me more) so I was just curious. Ive wrote to the council but I doubt I will get anything back.

Malcs, Clive said he would drive, therefore if he doesnt change his mind, I might bring something nice to drink which may help me sleep alittle!

Hey Tigger...good luck with your run in the morning. I dont work fridays so I can get down there on fri if needs be. It almost feels like a festival rather than a race!
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

You lot are making me jealous!

Sarah - It's definitely worth writing to the council. Have you taken a picture of the pothole? Usually my job is interesting  and I get to meet lots of really nice people imagewhich is the best bit about it. Regulation - that's another matter!!!image

• Ive sent a claims form in but without a photo. It happened on a country lane which is a 60 mph winding road...I didnt think it was safe to be trying to park up and take a photo and the only times I have been able to do this up until today was when it was dark, so there was no point in risking injury (as there are no street lamps on the road)

I dont think i will get anything back for that reason and because they manage to defend about 80% of the claims but you dont know if you dont ask!

Im glad to hear that you enjoy your job....me too but sometimes it can be very stressful.

Now to google pigeon pose!
  • Hey Guys!! Well today's 10 miler kinda got extended..... to 13! Didn't feel overly knackered after, but totally buzzed. So yes Ashby is a goer! Even If I don't train the full 20 miles as long as I get close then I'm sure adrenaline will help with the rest! (and the pull of a new hoody!)

As for the hip, I'v got in for a massage on 18th! Yay.... ouch!!

TR24 - I can do the Friday...may need some help putting up the tent! in fact Friday will probably suit me better as I would only worry about getting the tent up and sorted before 12! I think Lottie will come over on the Saturday morning.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Malcs, Clive said he would drive, therefore if he doesnt change his mind, I might bring something nice to drink which may help me sleep alittle!

Oooh - are we talking the alcoholic variety? 

I'd like to get there Friday too. Our friends did that last year and reserved us a patch of ground. However, it wasn't an easy trip up for them - hit bad traffic and it took them about 5 hours! Will have a think nearer the time. 

Well done on your 13 miles Tigger - great to hear you got through it comfortably!

• congratulations Tigger on your 13 miler.

Does the tent come with instructions?

Malcs...we are certainly talking about the alcoholic type....im sure a little tipple wont do us any harm!

Friday traffic is always a bit of a nightmare. It was horrendous that day coming back from boot camp.
  • I can put the tent up it is really easy... just need a hand with the poles!

Yay alcoholic drinks and food.... one persons little tipple is another persons pint!

Traffic may be bad but it will be soo worth it guys!! has Clive commented on the Friday yet??

• Anyone fancy Grantham Half on the 11th March?

• Hey guys, hope everyone is alright!

We've got snow here in Essex and it is actually settling - what the hell?? Thought we were done with all that... doubly strange because it has been raining pretty much all day and it was soaking wet out there... so how is the snow settling??

I'm absolutely gutted to say this but I am going to have to bail on the Thunder Run... image That week is the only week even close to then that I can get off of work and take my son on holiday and if I don't go that weekend then I won't be able to go on holiday at all this year... or take my son on holiday!

There really aren't many things more important to me than running right now, but my son is definitely one of very few. So I'm so sorry guys - I am of course still happy to pay my share of the entry fee if there isn't anyone who can take my place...

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Steve, you've just ruined my weekend...possibly even my year. I'm sure we can find someone to step in but you sir are irreplaceable. For a start, who's going to cook the bacon? image 

I'm assuming son of bacon won't be sold on a weekend camping holday in Derbyshire - plenty of other playmates and free childcare (from those not under the influence)?image

You have your priorities right so don't worry.

Tigger - sorry Grantham is a bit far for me. Also doing Spitfire the week before with Ady, DS2 and A.W. By that I mean I'm at the same race not running alongside them! Well maybe Ady at a push but the other two are too darn quick!

• I've ruined my own weekend Malcs! I actually found out Friday but it's taken me this long to get the balls to post it lol

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    No worries Steve. As I said, although I'm sure the rest of the team will be gutted not to have you there, everyone will understand. Unfortunately these things happen and your time with the little fella has to take priority.

There will be other TR24s, so please don't worry about missing this one.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say - its blinking well snowing again here! A few inches already and still coming down. Thought we'd seen the last of it. Anyone else got the white stuff?
  • boooo steve, im disappointed in you!!!
  • Only kidding, I think youve done right in putting your son first, he should be the focus of your life and not running, you have your priorities right
  • I cant believe that its snowing everywhere, its been quite mild in York with no snow. Im hoping we dont see any more of the white stuff until at least my plane sets of to Barcelona and then returns!

I will ask a friend from the RC to see if he wants to do TR 24, he sounded quite interested.

Yay....thats me and tigger up for the drink! Im happy to help with the poles,x
  • Haha I know, I'm rubbish image

But plenty of other races for us all to meet up! image

We had a fair bit over night last night but the worst of it has gone already - it was snowing again when I went out for my run this evening but it wasn't settling so it looks like Essex has escaped the worst of it.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

evening everyone! Missed a few days posting as went to see my daughter in Birmingham. Had a lovely lovely weekend image and still managed to run!

Funny thing happened on this eve run, you know those speed camera thingies that flash up what speed you are doing...I ran up to one and it flashed green 7mph!!!

Tigger -  glad your run went well, Ashby look out!!

• Ive managed to set a 5mph speed limit light thing of before when I was walking alittle to fast to work one day....but never one of the green ones...I have a new mission!
  • sarah osborne wrote (see)
     Im happy to help with the poles,x

Haha.... poles..... drink .......what could go wrong!!???

BACON........WHAT......REALLY......Kept that one quiet! I recon you should bring Baby bacon with you! he would love it!! I love those speed flashing camera things that are ace, the guys at running club get all competitive when we have a route with them on! I have only managed 7!

I spent the weekend humping and dumping boxes, work experience as a house removeral person! otherwise known as a soft little sister who cant say no to big brother moving from derby to London!

I am on a total high with my training at the minute! Grantham half is the week before Ashby, and as I thought I now have massive Marathon Envy! I knew I should have booked onto one! Argh!!

Oh yes and its currently snowing in Derby!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

I have happy memories of sitting in doorway of my tent drinking...and watching some poor souls fighting with tent poles!

Managed 7 on the speed camera again!  this could be a fun thread challenge?? come on Sarah..

Great to hear training going so well Tigger image

• Green & White Tigger wrote (see)
    sarah osborne wrote (see)
     Im happy to help with the poles,x

Haha.... poles..... drink .......what could go wrong!!???

Haha....youve never seen me trying to follow instructions (and thats without a drink) !!!!image
  • Now that youve helped your brother move to london Tigger, I hope that means alot of free holidays in London???

Right I need to find a speed thingy...I know where there are a few in sheffield but not sure about in york....think they only tell you that your going too fast/slow and not your actual speed! image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Green & White Tigger wrote (see)

I spent the weekend humping 

Personally I would have kept that to myself but good for you for experimenting with your cross training image

Jen - 7mph is mighty fine. Just don't go getting yourself caught speeding!

• Hey Malcs,

Good to see you back. Hows the house move/sale going? Getting the runs in to relieve the stress?

Been up operating all night so going for a wee recovery run before handover and going home to bed... No humping for me tigger !image