RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Good luck with that run Puffy. It's grim out there.

Really excited for you Sarah. I want to say good luck but the truth is you don't need it. You've done all the training and you've been very consistent, which I think is the most important thing. You've done your speedwork and you've got great long runs banked. With a few days rest you'll be ready to bring it all together and blast that half.

Try not to start off too fast because it might well come back and bite you in the last couple of miles. Try and control the pace for the first few miles. Of course this is what I always do...image

I can't wait to see what time you run.
  • Hi Sarah,

Echo what Minni said, sure you'll do well in Barca this weekend with the training you hav got in, but best of luck anyway!!

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Sarah,

It was actually quite a good run last night - I ended up doing the 10 miles at an average of 8.19/mile and I felt surprisingly fresh despite having done a hard interval session the previous night, in fact I had to consciously slow down in the early miles. Also it didn't feel as tedious as it usually does when I'm doing that route.

Now I'm off for a six mile run, aiming at HM pace, along the Embankment down to Westminster and back, so it's a bit more scenic although it gets a bit crowded in certain spots. 

• Good evening, I've certainly learned a lesson this week...after the enjoyable gym session on Tuesday I set off last night for my normal midweek run, and soon found that the session had cost me a little more than I thought. My lower legs and right ankle hurt and my right inner thigh hurt where I'd done the leg exercises. Plus it was blowing an absolute gale! There was no way I could maintain my pace in the wind so I did the three miles easy as planned then as close as I could to Mara pace for the next five, but is was up and down with th estrong wind. Then I limped home with a mile cool down.

My shins were sore so I got the foam roller out and with a bit of contorting got a good roll down the inside of my calfs, and they feel fine today. that roller really works your core trying to balance.

I didn't feel too bad, I felt the pain was from the gym work rather than overuse, and I've done a comfortable recovery run tonight. What a shame I didnt do things the other way though, it is a calm relatively warm night tonight, would have been perfect for a more sustained effort.

So, the lessons...gym work only after the important runs have been done properly, and swop the sessions if necessary if I can't achieve what the session is supposed to do.

When do you fly Sarah? Tomorrow? Or are you there yet?

My race is 11.00 on Sunday, it's sponsored by a bakery so there's a loaf of bread at the end.
  • Evening Minni, thankyou....im going to try my best to resist the sangria until after the race....and then have a blow out!!!

Im hoping there will be a largish crowd at the start to help keep my first few miles steady...I keep remembering what its like to set off too fast and then struggle in the last miles....just hope I remember when im all excited at the start!

Thankyou Clive. Did you hear that Steve can no longer do TR24 ? do you know anyone else who may be able to take his place?

Hi Andy, todays run sounds alot more pleasant and scenic than yesterdays. Im quite jealous. Hope you had another good run today and you found those HMP miles easy.

Sorry to hear about your legs yesterday Mr P, but im so glad that they have made a full recovery for today. The weather was horrendous yesterday so in my eyes you did great just to get out. On the asics 26.2 threads sarah the physio has been recommending no resistence training if you havent been doing it to the same level constantly as she says that it takes too much out of your running and too long to recover. I know you did do bits before though so its a bit of a grey area.

Im going to try and order a foam roller tonight, they do sound amazing. They have some at the gym but I dont dare try and use them just incase my first attempt is disasterous and I end up looking stupid infront of everyone!

Loving the idea of a loaf of bread at the end....beats some of the other things Ive recieved. Good luck on sunday. I will be thinking about you. Cant wait to hear how you get on.

We fly in the morning....need to be up at 4am which im not looking forward to!
  • Training Diary for Forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)

Week 7 (day 46) Aim; Rest day

My 2nd rest day and it feels like I havent ran for weeks, its so odd. My legs are itching to do something, but im sure the next two days exploring Barcelona will help keep them going ready for sunday.

Im not sure how easily it will be to post on here whilst im away but I will do my best.

Happy running everyone and good luck with your races.
  • Arrived in Barcelona at 10:00. After picking up our numbers we did some exploration with lots of eating and drinking. Think im going to count yesterday as my race carbo loading day so I don't feel as guilty about the amount I put away! Todsy we plan to visit familia grada park guell, neu camp, and possibly the Olympic stadium
  • AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Sarah,

Yes thanks, I managed my HMP miles pretty well on Thursday. I felt a bit "leggy" at first but was fine by the end. Twenty miler tomorrow - it's another step up in distance for me so I plan to not worry about my pace and just concentrate on doing the distance.

It sounds like you're doing exactly the same things as we did when we went to Barcelona, in which case I'm sure you're having a great time.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Hope it all goes well, Sarah!  Look forward to seeing a fab result!image

• Come on Sarah, Game Face! image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your races Puffy and Sarah. Ideal weather here so hope it's the same for you.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I hoping Sarah will check in soon with her time.....

• Just a quickly as everyone is waiting for me so we can get food. It's good news. Did a 1 mile w/u to the start (otherwise we would have missed it.

My Garmin time was 1 hr 33 min and 32 secs for 13.2 miles. Average pace 7.05 min/mls.

My ave was 7:20 by 5k, 7:15 by 10k, 7:10 by 15k then 7.05 at the finish. Felt really well all the way round, happy that I paced myself well and had a strong finish

Was 14,000 in the rac e o it was quite busy and I had to do a little bit of weaving.

Managed to knock just under 2.5 mins of my previous half PB and feel confident that I could knock more of next time so I'm happy.After the race I ran back to the hotel, 2.2 miles @ 9.06 min/ml. Thankyou for helping me get a new PB Minni and everyone else on here who have been giving me support
  • Amazing run Sarah........excellent work. You must be even happier that you felt you could have gone even quicker. That's a great chunk off your PB!image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

So, so brilliant Sarah.  Very well done.  And your pacing is even more impressive than your finish time. 

I think we may need to revise your marathon time......

Hope you've had a good race too Puffy.

• Brilliant Sarah well done!

Not good news here I'm afraid, my clutch failed en route to the race so I had to call the AA and get a tow to the garage. I'll have to do my long run now, but it is beautiful weather for it.

My maths tell me you must have been accelerating all the way Sarah, you must be feeling pretty good, I hope you've got a huge meal and plenty of drinks planned image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Fantastic run Sarah. Really well deserved. I think minni is right - you must have a look at 3:20 at least with 9 weeks to go!

Mr Puffy - bad news!

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Well done Sarah!

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Well done Sarah, excellent stuff. And managing a two mile run back after setting a PB  is really impressive. After setting my HM PB last year I would have struggled to run a bath let alone run two more miles.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Mr P - that must be incredibly frustrating.

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

I did 20 miles today - I wasn't concentrating on the time at all, I just wanted to make sure I did the distance, so I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to keep up a respectable pace (8:29/mile) for the whole distance without consciously pushing myself, even when my legs were really feeling it in the last couple of miles.

• Sarah- many congrats on an excellent result!imageimageimage I ran 3:26 off a 1:34 half in November last year so I would very much agree with Minni that your mara target might be a tad conservative. Great pacing as well, impressive stuff!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about your race Puffy.  I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when on the way to a 10k I stopped for fuel and forgot I had my husbands diesel car... I have a petrol.... need I say more. image  Hope you got a decent run in instead.

Nice 20 there Andy.  Which marathon are you doing?

Hilly - how's your training coming on?  I think the last time you checked in you said you weren't managing the mileage you were hoping for.  Is this better now?

Sarah - how are you feeling today?  Don't be tempted to rush straight into speedwork this week.  There can be a tendency for an increased injury risk after running a fast race so better to make sure you completely recover.   You've more than proved yourself and the aim now is to maintain it and make sure you get to the marathon start line ready to smash that pb - and that you will!!

On that note you must be thinking about marathon times now?!  I think you can safely look at a time faster than 3:30.  If you punch your HM time in calculators such as McMillan they bring out a time close to 3:15.  Personally I think this is a bit too fast.  Not because I don't think you can do it - I'm sure you've got that and faster in you - but I think the risks are too high.   You've already got another marathon booked for later in the year so I think it would be good to use this as a stepping stone while still setting a good pb - play it safe.   You can then build on this to really go for it in October.    If we get this week out the way you can start really practising some longer MP stretches in the long runs and see how it feels pace wise?  Its all very exciting! image

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Minni, I'm doing London.

• AndyA wrote (see)

Well done Sarah, excellent stuff. And managing a two mile run back after setting a PB  is really impressive. After setting my HM PB last year I would have struggled to run a bath let alone run two more miles.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Mr P - that must be incredibly frustrating.

AndyA wrote (see)

I did 20 miles today - I wasn't concentrating on the time at all, I just wanted to make sure I did the distance, so I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to keep up a respectable pace (8:29/mile) for the whole distance without consciously pushing myself, even when my legs were really feeling it in the last couple of miles.

Hi Andy, thankyou ever so much. I wasnt sure what to do when I got to the end of the run as we didnt organise a meeting point with the other runners and the spectators where stood on a road near to our hotel. I couldnt decide between waiting for the other runners at the bag collection point (where there was also free sport massage...but with slight ques) or run back to the spectators. After standing for a minute I realised that standing about wasnt an option as my legs were quickly seizing up and hence the decision to run back.....I kept hearing Minni in my head telling me to do a cool down jog! image

After showering and eating we decided to do some more sightseeing......we ended up walking about another 6 miles, walking up to park guell from the nearest metro stop, around the park and then down to the ramblers...it did loosen of my legs and made me appreciate tea much more, but this morning my hamstrings have been a little on the tight side!

Congratulations on your 20 miler in under 8 and a half min miles which is fantastic. Do you have any races coming up?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Sarah - I'm trying to remember: did you enter the Northumberland half?
  • Mr Puffy wrote (see)

Brilliant Sarah well done!

Not good news here I'm afraid, my clutch failed en route to the race so I had to call the AA and get a tow to the garage. I'll have to do my long run now, but it is beautiful weather for it.

My maths tell me you must have been accelerating all the way Sarah, you must be feeling pretty good, I hope you've got a huge meal and plenty of drinks planned image

Hi Mr P, im so sorry to hear about your car and you not being able to make your race. I know how disappointed I was when the brass monkey was cancelled so I really feel for you, its so frustrating. How did your long run go? Do you have any back up races?

I celebrated after the race with a mango smoothy and chicken and noodles for lunch followed by a jug of sangrea, sea food paella and a glass or two of wine for my tea, (after our 3-4 hour walk)...I felt I deserved it image

• Thankyou Ady, DS2, Hilly and Brolish.

I think I will be looking at reducing my target time for VLM but I am still quite worried about the distance and my endurance....I think this is just because of my experience last year so hopefully it should lift a little as I get a few more LSR in the bank.

It would be quite nice to get a sub 3:25 as this would mean that I have run a marathon quicker than my mum. It would be nice to do her proud and beat her time....I feel I have slim chances of beating her HM time (1:23) but feel like I am quite capable of beating her marathon time (3:26)

Congratulation Ady on your PB to, you must be over the moon? image

• Minni wrote (see)

Sorry to hear about your race Puffy.  I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when on the way to a 10k I stopped for fuel and forgot I had my husbands diesel car... I have a petrol.... need I say more. image  Hope you got a decent run in instead.

Nice 20 there Andy.  Which marathon are you doing?

Hilly - how's your training coming on?  I think the last time you checked in you said you weren't managing the mileage you were hoping for.  Is this better now?

Sarah - how are you feeling today?  Don't be tempted to rush straight into speedwork this week.  There can be a tendency for an increased injury risk after running a fast race so better to make sure you completely recover.   You've more than proved yourself and the aim now is to maintain it and make sure you get to the marathon start line ready to smash that pb - and that you will!!

On that note you must be thinking about marathon times now?!  I think you can safely look at a time faster than 3:30.  If you punch your HM time in calculators such as McMillan they bring out a time close to 3:15.  Personally I think this is a bit too fast.  Not because I don't think you can do it - I'm sure you've got that and faster in you - but I think the risks are too high.   You've already got another marathon booked for later in the year so I think it would be good to use this as a stepping stone while still setting a good pb - play it safe.   You can then build on this to really go for it in October.    If we get this week out the way you can start really practising some longer MP stretches in the long runs and see how it feels pace wise?  Its all very exciting! image

Ouch....what was Mr Minnis reaction to the petrol incident?

Minni, my hamstrings (mainly my left leg....its always the left leg) has been a little tight today. Its ok after I have walked, but became tight again after sitting on the plane. I went to the gym and did a steady recovery run and it is feeling much better for it. I was thinking the same as you, no speed work this week as the HM was in a way speed work and I dont want to risk doing too much. The price I could pay is too much of a risk,

The thought of aiming for anything under 3:25 is quite scary. I think its because I dont have many long runs in the bank over my running career. I have done loads of 12-13 milers but only 6 runs of 18 and above since I started running a couple of years ago. Its reassuring that the race calculators predict a 3:15 marathon but I really do think I would struggle keeping the required pace for 26.2 miles. Like you have recommended I would rather play it slightly safe and see what I can achieve and then if possible I can then aim for a quicker time in october.

I remember feeling rubbish for at least the last 6 miles of VLM and I dont want to risk this again. I know it was down to a lack off  fuel taken on during the race and a lack of LSR in training, but its always going to be in the back of my mind.

I want to get a PB at VLM but I also want to enjoy every minute of it, if that makes sense.

So with that in mind I would like to aim for a sub 3:25 at the moment. I may end up feeling more confident once I get some more LSR in, but I can always amend my goals then.....what do you think?

• I forgot to say, I havent entered northumberland half yet as I wasnt sure whether it would be best to get a LRS in instead as its the week before east hull 20 (which I will be doing as a training run and not a race). There has also been a more local half advertised at retford which I was wondering about on the same day. What do you think would be best to do, another LSR or HM?

The week after east hull is when I go to france so I wouldnt get a LSR in that weekend.