The Scum.

I saw on Twitter this morning that The Sun have published a scantily clad photo of Oscar Pistorius' girlfriend Reena Steenkamp. This is a really distasteful way to report the story of her murder.

When people buy a rag like The Sun, they are creating a market for this type of gutter press journalism. Although I shouldn't imagine that proper journalism with the facts being printed holds as much attraction for Sun readers as tits and scandal do. How they can still get away with having the tits on page 3, I'll never know. That type of material should be top shelf 18 ceertificate stuff at the newsagent's, not accessable in the national media to anyone. 

So, after the Leveson enquiry it would appear that Murdoch & Co have learned absolutely nothing about morals and decency.

By the way I'm not a prude, but I think that the press should uphold standards, not sink to ever deeper depths.

Comments

• agree with you Rickster on this one

• Obviously they thought that the bikini shot somehow was relevant to the story. Are they scum or are they just thick? What can we do other than never,ever buy the damn thing.
  • i've been inclined to defend The Sun in the past, but even I can see that this front page is using violence against women as a form of titillation.

appalling.

• I partly agree with DF3 as she was a model - and wasn't a bad looking one either - but there really is no need for the front page shot of her on the Scum.

it's quite simple - do what Liverpool does and don't buy the Scum.  

re: page 3 tits - Murdoch has apparently mentioned on twitter recently that he thinks the days of that may be over.  whether he will stick to that thought only time will tell

• Everybody knows the last pope was a Asics man.
  • 2.5 million people routinely buy this shite. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

• No, I live in Nottingham.

• AgentGinger wrote (see)

2.5 million people routinely buy this shite. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

What sort of worrying message does this send out about some of the people living in the UK? image

• Guardian article

If only a hot woman could get murdered every day, then the Sun wouldn't need Page 3, because they could dredge up some semi-covered tits in the highfalutin' cause of illustrating a news story about her corpse.

• I happened to be in a curry house waiting for a takeaway, so flicked through a recent copy of The Mirror; in their 'extensive coverage' of the horsemeat scandal, they featured three serarate pictures of three separate horses on three separate pages.

I think we may all already be able to recognise a horse if we see one.

• All you need to know about Sun readers is they have to be reminded that women have breasts on a daily basis just in case they forget this pressing news.

I suppose the argument is does the gutter press create this mindset or just echo it? If the Sun started publishing in depth thought pieces about domestic violence do you think that it's readers reactions would be "Wow I had never considered that" or rather "F**k this" and find another rag to read.

Depressing but true, it isn't just a tabloid problem though, the broadsheets aren't shy to illustrate a news story with a picture of a model with a tenuous link to the actual content of the story or indeed their online content which thanks to the lack of regulation is even worse.

• I felt like this with all the media coverage of Claire Squires' death last year. It was tragic but compare the amount of coverage her death received to Ged Clarke or Kevin Paterson. I think partly because she was a young, attractive woman and the  press had got hold of a dozen photos of her in shorts and lycra.

• AgentGinger wrote (see)

2.5 million people routinely buy this shite. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

And unfortunately that's why all the political parties fall over themselves to suck up to the owners/editors. 

• Tom77 wrote (see)

Guardian article

If only a hot woman could get murdered every day, then the Sun wouldn't need Page 3, because they could dredge up some semi-covered tits in the highfalutin' cause of illustrating a news story about her corpse.

That's an interesting and quite provocatively written attack on the Sun, from an ex-Sun journo.

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Ahh, I thought you might have had an ulterior motive in sticking the knife into the Sun.

To be honest, I don't see the fuss. She didn't seem to have an issue with flaunting her body when she was alive, so what right do we have to make an issue of it now that she's dead ....... 

I've still not worked you out. You're sometimes funny. Sometimes you just seem to be on the wind up.  I suspect you had tongue-in-cheek when you opened your second sentence with the words "to be honest".  

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What's to work out RW?
  • I've also noticed you don't seem to have much response or banter with Colin Mc L or Nick Windsor DF3. I wonder why that is?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    AgentGinger wrote (see)

You're wrong.

The Sun readership estimates for survey ending June 2012 Reach:It was read by 7,244,000 adults.Percentage reach:It was read by 14.4% of the adult population.

Astonishing to think that when this item first appeared in 1969 (I think) it was designed to appeal to a readership with an average vocabulary of less than 1000 words and the IQ of a plant.

🙂

• You can't call someone wrong Rik when you are saying READ and Gingerballs is saying BUY. Two different statistics
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    You can't call someone wrong Rik when you are saying READ and Gingerballs is saying BUY. Two different statistics

A small detail but quite correct.

It was demonstrated that in a waiting room for professional people about to be interviewed, where a selection of newspapers were available. The first selection was a broadsheet. But was soon put aside for a look at the Sun.

So the paper may not be bought as much as read. 

🙂

• Perhaps 'viewed' rather than 'read'? image